• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ku Krux Kran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Asian-American leaders are calling on a weekly newspaper to apologize and cut ties with a writer who penned a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the piece, which appeared in the February 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks, writing, among other things, "I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

An official at the nationally circulated paper apologized and called the column's publication a mistake.

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the piece as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

The petition calls on AsianWeek to cut ties with Eng, issue an apology, print an editorial refuting the column, and fire or demote the editors who published it.

"Something like this should never have been printed," said Vincent Eng, deputy director of the Asian American Justice Center in Washington, who is not related to the columnist. "Deliberate action needs to be taken to make sure this type of hate speech doesn't continue."

AsianWeek, with a circulation of 48,505, issued a statement apologizing for "any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community."

The newspaper plans to hold a news conference with NAACP leaders in San Francisco on Wednesday to discuss how the Asian and black communities "can be different and yet get along and work together," said Ted Fang, the paper's editor at large.

"The newspaper is sorry that this got published, and I am personally sorry that this got published," Fang told The Associated Press. "The views in that opinion piece do not in any way reflect the views of AsianWeek."

The paper plans to review its policies to "understand how this happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," Fang said, calling the decision to publish Eng's piece a "mistake."

Fang's family publishes AsianWeek, along with a local newspaper called the Independent, and owned the San Francisco Examiner between 2000 and 2004. AsianWeek calls itself "The Voice of Asian America."

The column was among several written by Kenneth Eng, who has described himself as an "Asian Supremacist." Previous columns have been titled "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians."

A telephone listing for Eng could not be located.

Sophie Maxwell, one of the city's top black officials and a member of the city's board of supervisors, said she doesn't believe Eng's column will hurt relations between blacks and Asians in San Francisco. She has co-sponsored a city resolution condemning the article and AsianWeek's decision to publish it.

"This man clearly is very ignorant of African-American history and his own history, and he's very angry," said Maxwell, who represents a district with large black and Asian populations.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/27/racist.column.ap/index.html

EDIT:Link to actual article which looks more like a blog posting truthfully.

http://www.capaweb.org/awpetition/AsianAmerican_Leaders_Condemn_Racist_AW_Article.pdf

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
so they print pretty much anything their contributor give them? Did they edit it for mistakes?

article said:
In the piece, which appeared in the February 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks, writing, among other things, "I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the piece as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."
I thought blacks were stereotyped to be loud and overly-confident. How is that being weak-willed?

Blackace

Battersea Power Station said:
I thought blacks were stereotyped to be loud and overly-confident. How is that being weak-willed?

actually Blacks have been stereotyped as cowards, weak-willed, over-confident, not smart.. the list goes on and on

ToxicAdam

I thought this thread was going to be about Bintell Powell

BRINGING EVERYONE TOGETHER

Howard had the author, Bintell Powell, in the studio to discuss his book, “Betrayed,” which focuses on the differences between light-skinned black people and dark-skinned black people. Bintell noted he grew up on Long Island where he witnessed light-skinned black people having an easier time than dark-skinned black people, while Howard added he’d noticed the same thing when he was growing up in the same area. Bintell then mentioned “Betrayed” also dealt with his sexual exploits with light-skinned women, and went on to discuss how he credited the success of both Beyonce and Barack Obama to their lighter skin tones.

THE MEDIA’S GUILTY AS WELL

When Bintell said he thought light-skinned black people “discriminated” against dark-skinned black people, Robin replied she didn’t understand what he was saying, and he told her he’d “send her an e-mail” further explaining his point. Bintell then encouraged dark-skinned black people to “rise up” against light-skinned black people, explaining he thought they were as racist as white people. Bintell proceeded to report that while people like Halle Berry and Alicia Keys, women who he called “light skinned,” were on the cover of magazines, he didn’t think the same could be said about people like Denzel Washington and Samuel L. Jackson because their wives were “too dark.” Bintell next commented he wanted dark-skinned black women to feel “beautiful,” and that they didn’t need to “straighten their noses and get hair weaves” to get confidence.

NomarTyme said:
My goodness. Editor need to fired and the dumbass writer.

You say that but you haven't even read his work.

097487650X.jpg

Blackace

Troidal said:
I was going to say...

WTF for not even checking man.

Editor: er, excuse me, Mr. Eng.

Kenneth Eng: YES?!

Editor: There was a small problem with your article.

Kenneth Eng: ORLY?!?

Editor: Yes the first letters in "hate" and "blacks" in the title need to be in caps..

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Blackace said:
Editor: er, excuse me, Mr. Eng.

Kenneth Eng: YES?!

Editor: There was a small problem with your article.

Kenneth Eng: ORLY?!?

Editor: Yes the first letters in "hate" and "blacks" in the title need to be in caps..

lol. Thats probable exactly how it went too.

Kenneth Eng: You think I should use the n-word?

Editor: Hell no. That would upset them!

NomarTyme

Stoney Mason said:
You say that but you haven't even read his work.

097487650X.jpg
Glad I didn't.

20 of 21 people found the following review helpful:
this sucks, January 29, 2007
A Kid's Review
This book is the pits an absolute waste of trees, its horrible and the worst book ever. And i've read eragon and eldest.

This would not have been published if Eng had not paid for it on a vanity press.

Kenneth Eng is a self absorbed spammer, racist and Asian supremist

Please do us all a favour Eng, dont quit the day job, take a few writing classes and stop spamming, no one likes these books, and all these reviews are obviously written by you

BobFromPikeCreek said:

You obviously haven't read his article or you would understand Rush Hour is part of the problem and not the solution damnit! :)

Kenneth Eng Article said:
In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I
have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at
the very sight of an Asian. Furthermore, their activity in the
media proves their hatred: Rush Hour, Exit Wounds, Hot
97, etc.

Blackace

Kenneth Eng said:
On the other hand, we slaughtered the Russians in the
Japanese-Russo War.

Wait.. is he claiming to Japanese with the last name Eng? Or is he just claiming Japanese victories as Asian victories even though they went on to slaughter the Chinese after the Japanese-Russo war..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blackace said:
Wait.. is he claiming to Japanese with the last name Eng? Or is he just claiming Japanese victories as Asian victories even though they went on to slaughter the Chinese after the Japanese-Russo war..

Hate knows no bounds. And that includes the bounds of logic and historical knowledge.

Blackace

TheTrin said:
Hate knows no bounds. And that includes the bounds of logic and historical knowledge.

I think he is Chinese.. and no matter who won that war the Chinese lost...

scottnak

Nottyboxers said:
wtfia0.jpg

Trannysurp...rize?Perhaps. I hope that was intentional
Eagle eye senor. Eagle eye.

And seriously... this is another WTF moment. How in the world that gets by any editor that has an ounce of common sense....

Blackace said:
http://news.asianweek.com/news/view...43504d52fa065fef122fc04d&this_category_id=172

haha this is another gem.. wow.. he is messed up and AsianWeek is really being stupid by having him anywhere near them

He's pretty good. :lol He hates everybody.

The second thing I hate about Asians is how little pride most of them have. This may be the result of societal brainwashing, but whatever the cause, it must stop. I am repulsed when I see Asian guys speak with British accents in an attempt to sound sophisticated. British people can’t be all that sophisticated if they don’t yet understand the concept of dental hygiene.

The third thing I hate about Asians is how apathetic many of them are in terms of honor these days. If I saw an Asian being stereotyped in a movie theater, I would immediately stand up and shout incessantly at the screen so that none of the white audience members could enjoy the film. When I saw a white man yelling at an old Asian woman a few months ago, I walked up to him and hollered slurs right back in his Aryan face

OpinionatedCyborg said:
It gets better: Crushdance is black.
Unless you knew that. In which case, I pat myself on the back for getting the joke. Congratulations, OpinionatedCyborg, congratulations.
:lol :lol

Blackace

Stoney Mason said:
He's pretty good. :lol He hates everybody.

boy he is hardcore if he just stands up and shouts at the screen during a movie..

At the risk of sounding corny, whatever happened to the days of the samurai? When honor meant more than life? Whatever happened to the age of Sun Tzu when we used to kick ass?

Everything I have been finding about him is making up all these stories about how he kicks ass... maybe he is Bolo!

Blackace

I think we need to have a GAF written letter to him.

We can start it off like

I am a black male married to a Chinese woman we have 2 kids. I majored in Asian Studies with a focus in Chinese history and art. While I am proud of who I am, I have to agree with you to a degree...

I for one can't believe nobody has challenged vectorman06's notion that on average asians are less racist than other races. Having asian blood in me, I'm all too familiar with the pride at least many Japanese have, and their belief that their culture and ways are inherently better than anything else.

2 things must have happened:

1) GAFers read vectorman06's post and thought, "eh, don't really even want to get into it."

2) GAFers read vectorman06's post as sarcasm.

The audio quality of the 1993 speech is still pants, even on PacSide.com ....

My grandfather worked in a rice drier for years in Texas. He was one of the few white guys there, but he never thought anything of it. As a young white kid, going to his rice drier facility job, I thought, was supposed to make me feel out of place. That's what they television told me I was supposed to feel--how I was supposed to act. I felt quite at home, and I've seen that southern charm had no basis other than being from the south, having a warm glow, and being genuine. I mean, shit, we're all people. We might look and smell differently, but we're all they same, man--those of us who are virtuous and well-intended. Grandpa taught my father and I well, not to be judgmental and to be accepting of people for who they are and what they do, their actions and what they stand for, not for the epidermal coloring.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Nottyboxers said:
Trannysurp...rize?Perhaps. I hope that was intentional

PhoenixDark!

Of COURSE it was! No way he

wait

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom