• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fasion-GAF: What shirt|tie combo should I wear to match her for the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YakiSOBA

Hey GAF!

[Hiiiii Yaki!]

There's a annual ball at our university this weekend, and my girlfriend and I are going. I have my suit up here, just tried it on and all.. and everything fits nicely (except for the black dress shirt). That's fine though, since it was the only part of the outfit I was planning on switching.

Now, she's told me that she'll be in all black (dress|shoes) save for a dark purple necklace.

I know it would mean a lot to her if we matched up nicely (well, also so we don't look like idiots) because we don't have many pictures together, and this is a pristine opportunity to snag a lot of pics! (I will post em on GAF after the ball if anyone wants to see my ugly mug :p).

I was looking online and saw some cool looking ones, like a purple shirt + black tie + black suit, or a _____ shirt with a purple stylish tie... (I'm assuming I'll need something kinda purple to match, otherwise I'd be all in stealth mode).

Anywho, I was thinking about what colors to mix and match, hoping to get suggestions from anyone "in the know"! Also, is it customary to buy her a corsage? If so, am I right in assuming a purple one would fit the bill?

Thanks GAF!!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Black jacket, black shirt, black and purple tie, purple hanky, if you're dead set on the lots of black/purple thing.

YakiSOBA

hmm can't seem to find any pictures.. what the heck =/

OK -- well, more or less here are the color schemes I came up with... not sure what actually looks best though =(

Black suit and dress shoes with:

Black Shirt + Purple Tie
Purple Shirt + Black Tie
Purple Shirt + White Tie
White Shirt + Purple Tie

Advice? :D

ElyrionX

It's hard to recommend to you which particular colour scheme will work best with what your partner is wearing without knowing the specifics of what your partner is really wearing as well as what your suit looks like. There are many different shades of purple and black that you can use and the material and its texture plays a really important role as well. While it may sound easy to recommend a colour scheme, how everything ends up looking really depends on the material you picked as well as your skin tone and your body shape.

There's also the problem that even IF we can recommend something nice, you may not even be able to find it in the stores around you. Shopping for clothes is a bitch like that. So my recommendation to you is to bring your GF with you when you go look for your shirt/tie. It shows that you care what she thinks and she'll know that you're putting in some effort so that the two of you can look good together that night. Besides, girls generally have better taste when it comes to fashion and she'll appreciate being able to give you some input.

Also, do remember to post pics so we can see how it turns out.

Black suit and dress shoes with:

Black Shirt + Purple Tie

That is a hot combo mayne. Take my advice.... All black, with a purple tie to accent it. I love wearing this combo.

Beezy

This:

Lupin-02.jpg

YakiSOBA

AlphaSnake said:
Still with his girlfriend....so cute.
:D Thanks Alpha =)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards black shirt (no prob to find) and purple tie (not too hard to find).
2nd choice I'm leaning towards is the opposite (purple shirt + black tie, but not exactly sure how this combo would look)

:) yesss, will post pics for sure!!

black shirt and purple tie

if you want to look really snazzy, they do sell pocket squares that you can match with your tie ... i worked in a men's department at nordstrom in december and all the guys were really into those pocket squares.

also corsage, i dont know if that's still a question, but my vote would be no.

have fun at your thing!

YakiSOBA

Mm.. yeah, we're gonna go to the mall on Wednesday. It's down to two options (also depending on whats available, but shouldn't be a big problem)

Black dress shirt + purple tie
Purple dress shirt + purple tie (2 shades, tie with pattern most likely).

We'll see what we find, after the event I'll post any pics in this thread :D

Gooooo PURPLE! >.>

aoi tsuki

Really depends on the shade of purple she's wearing. A purple tie is a safe way to match, but i think a dark purple shirt with perhaps a black sports coat would work better. Maybe not; not everyone can pull off purple. i'm not a fan of wearing one solid color from head to toe. i'm also not a fan of "matching" colors, because it tends to look cheesy. Complimenting couples is another thing entirely.

kennah

What material is the dress she's wearing? Does she have any other accessories that are going with it?

This might sound a little crazy, but the complimentary colour to Purple is Yellow, you could get away with a dark yellow shirt and a purple tie, or a black shirt, purple tie and yellow pocket hankie. That sort of thing would work best if she had some sort of yellow on her person as well (belt, sash, shawl, anklet, purse.. anything really). The slash of colour in an overall dark outfit really makes the whole ensemble stand out. Personally I'd go with a muted yellow scarf or sash tied around the waist - if the overall look of the dress wouldn't be ruined by being split up like that anyway.. then something on the shoulders.

If you're not down with the yellow idea (I'd totally understand if you weren't), a dark purple shirt with a lighter purple tie (preferably one that matches the necklace she is wearing) would be your best bet I reckon.

J-Rzez

Purple or Black dress shirt + purple tie (2 shades) Or, a Purple tie with Silver accents...

Yes, get her the corsage/wrist-flower-rig, make it with Purple flowers with "Silver airbrush/tips"...

You're probably gonna want to go with the purple sperm recepticle (rubber for you kids) then too... I'd suggest "extended pleasures" if you like her, or, something dual pleasure if you don't really care too much and just wanna get yours fast as possible... (eh, who am I kiddin', no one uses that shit anymore...)

YakiSOBA

J-Rzez said:
Purple or Black dress shirt + purple tie (2 shades) Or, a Purple tie with Silver accents...

Yes, get her the corsage/wrist-flower-rig, make it with Purple flowers with "Silver airbrush/tips"...

You're probably gonna want to go with the purple sperm recepticle (rubber for you kids) then too... I'd suggest "extended pleasures" if you like her, or, something dual pleasure if you don't really care too much and just wanna get yours fast as possible... (eh, who am I kiddin', no one uses that shit anymore...)

Bud: there are no pics yet because the thing isn't until the weekend =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom