• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellraid - Action RPG Coop game from Techland (Teaser Trailer)

KKRT00

Teaser Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcmBztzI-RI

Techland's first new IP since the Dead Island series looks to recapture the magic of '90s PC gaming, evoking classics such as Quake, Hexen, Diablo and Heretic in its four player co-operative hack n'slash that's wrapped up in a dark fantasy setting.

"We want you to feel that the game is made by guys in their '30s," Hellraid producer Marcin Kruczkiewicz told our colleagues at Eurogamer Poland. "You can't forget about the past. As young enthusiasts we enjoyed the first Quake, second Hexen or Diablo, and all that remains in us somewhere."

Hellraid offers up a selection of four classes, Warrior, Mage, Paladin and Rogue, and encourages them to work alongside each other as they fight through hordes of enemies. There are interlocking abilities - wizard can cast shields on allied players, or teleport around, and the combat system is built upon a series of magical abilities that include fire, telekinesis and lightening.

The open-world structure of Dead Island has been pared back slightly, with a series of open-ended maps rather than one all-encompassing world. Hellraid also offers a stripped-back leveling system, with experience points unlocking branches on each character's skill tree.

It's being developed on Techland's own Chrome Engine 5, which the Polish developer believes can go toe-to-toe with its competition.

"This is a tool that can easily compete with other solutions on the market," said Kruczkiewicz. "You can do literally everything: levels, enemies, save points, objects, music and weather. We used the same engine for Dead Island, so basically it's a fully functional tool and it works well."

Hellraid is without a publisher, a situation which Techland's currently assessing. "We're financing the entire production ourselves, so we don't need any external funds and a publisher, said marketing director Pawel Kopinski. "On the other hand, at some stage we'll be talking with publishers, distributors, and we'll see who will propose a partnership that won't impact Hellraid in a negative way. We just have an idea that we want to sell with no external interference."

There's currently no word on a release date, though Techland's looking to get it out this year on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC - the only platforms announced "for now."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-07-heres-your-first-brief-look-at-techlands-hellraid

New shots:
136794269037.jpg

136794267012.jpg

136794260117.jpg

---

I have to say, i'm very interested in this game. Definitely its more in my ballpark then Dead Island.

dead island burned me pretty bad with the technical issues and ahem... janky... controls/combat, but damn does this already look fun. i'll give it a shot if a publisher picks it up and has them make a PS4 version.

Jarsonot

Looks cool. I wonder if the rogue will be worthwhile, or just basically another warrior with a different weapon set.

Maybe traps and trickiness? Either way, interest peaked.

ezekial45

Banned
Despite all the issues with Dead Island, I'm a huge fan of the combat system. This one looks like a proper evolution of that, and it looks pretty damn cool in its own right. I can't wait to hear more.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a faster version of Dead Islands combat and I LOOOOOOVE that system, it better have analogue mode on controllers. Love the fact they are namedropping Hexen etc. Good stuff.

Despite all the issues with Dead Island, I'm a huge fan of the combat system. This one looks like a proper evolution of that, and it looks pretty damn cool in its own right. I can't wait to hear more.

yeah to me it seems like it's SO on the right track that it's worth trying to fix and improve rather than scrapping and starting over. i just want faster attack animations, a more satisfying feel of hitting enemies, and for this game in particular to not have the weapon breaking/crafting/fixing/deteriorating system.

Zaventem

Tbh this game looks like it has better combat than Dead Island and Skyrim, but that's not saying much. I want to be excited but the last time someone made a thread about this game they said their focus was on co-op and that's extremely disappointing to me since their are few fp games that catch my interest.

i have some monies for them. This is looking right up my alley, actually melee combat in a fantasy setting, in first person no less.

yeah to me it seems like it's SO on the right track that it's worth trying to fix and improve rather than scrapping and starting over. i just want faster attack animations, a more satisfying feel of hitting enemies, and for this game in particular to not have the weapon breaking/crafting/fixing/deteriorating system.

agreed on pretty much all fronts.

Sentenza

In other news: it seems that pretty much everyone can come up with better combat systems than Bethesda regardless of the budget.

Elixist

lookin better, been fun to watch the progression on this one. Nice to finally see some real gameplay, and it looks solid. Hope theres lots of different enemies like Dark Souls.

I'm slowly warming up to Hellraid despite finding out that it's co-op focused. Still wanted this to be more like King's Field but I won't complain if it's closer to the next best thing, Hexen :)

Jindujun

Neo Member
"You can do literally everything: levels, enemies, save points, objects, music and weather. We used the same engine for Dead Island, so basically it's a fully functional tool and it works well."

I love this quote. While i can understand the weather comment, isn't the other stuff pretty much the bare minimum you'd expect from a game?

SinSilla

Trailer got my interest, although i wished it would be more like a very streamlined skyrim with much improved combat. Let's see how this turns out, i actually liked Dead Island.

Top Bottom