• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Has Shader Shaders. Wait, What!?

Mmmkay

comparison28.jpg

comparison28_over.jpg

Shader - shades, get it....
Oh screw you then ;_;

Yes, GameSpot has another one of those much vaunted image comparison articles.
http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6171831/index.html

Fatghost already covered most of the Spidey 3 differences, but these are much cleaner and glaringly obvious direct feed comparisons. No real surprises elsewhere in the article.

Also, RE: The brightness/colour differences. "Users can adjust TV display settings to account for the color differences, but we did not modify the color levels in the images because we wanted to preserve the original output as much as possible."

fernoca

Hmm..
The public in the back still sucks and looks like ass..
So there goes those shaders and billions of polygons and textures. :lol

Man, the crowd in that 360 pic is far more detailed than the PS3 version.

edit: :lol @ the chick's wooden arms in the PS3 pic -- lower right-hand side of the crowd.

calder

:lol Yeah it's funny how I stared at those pics trying to find differences only to realize I was staring at the crowds and thinking it all looked like ass.

C4Lukins

Mirimar said:
Why are their heads shaped like the Home icon?

It is one of the features of home. If a friend of yours is playing this game, you can walk into the stadium and actually sit down and watch him play.

fernoca

HAL_Laboratory said:
edit: :lol @ the chick's wooden arms in the PS3 pic -- lower right-hand side of the crowd.

:lol :lol :lol

She looks so happy in the 360 pic with her shaded..and crossing her arms..like posing..all cool.. :D

KevinRo

HAL_Laboratory said:
Man, the crowd in that 360 pic is far more detailed than the PS3 version.

Very true the seattle mariners logo on the body looks much more clearer and crisp in the 360 version.

C4Lukins

KevinRo said:
Very true the seattle mariners logo on the body looks much more clearer and crisp in the 360 version.

Plus they have sunglasses in the 360 version. Of course that is due to the shader shaders.

GreekWolf

Those comparison shots are garbage. Everyone knows that the PS3 version of Oblivion looks moderately sharper with a crisper image, but Gamespot's pics make it look as if the 360 game is quite a bit more impressive visually.

Spider-Man, essentially the same. The only multiplatform game I've seen that is heavily in favor of one system is Splinter Cell.

SpacLock

There's a lot of differences there with the crowds. Why does the PS3's multi platform games look washed out sometimes?

Mmmkay

GreekWolf said:
Those comparison shots are garbage. Everyone knows that the PS3 version of Oblivion looks moderately sharper with a crisper image, but Gamespot's pics make it look as if the 360 game is quite a bit more impressive visually.
Huh? The Imperial City shot is a great example of the texture filtering. There aren't really that many other differences in the game, except for where the article points out that textures have changed. The brightness thing isn't really a difference, since the capture card hasn't been calibrated to the PS3 output levels.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
SpacLock said:
There's a lot of differences there with the crowds. Why does the PS3's multi platform games look washed out sometimes?

The way they output video is oddly different. You can account for it but it requires a little extra processing. The major visual differences usually come from the 360s substantially more powerful GPU.

fernoca said:
Hmm..
The public in the back still sucks and looks like ass..
So there goes those shaders and billions of polygons and textures. :lol

Say what you want but the crowd in 2K7 is actually pretty impressive. The lighting on them is great and you can literally put the camera anywhere in the stands and see fully polygonal people. Not an easy task to fill a stadium with millions of polys of seats and crowd and that goes for any sports game.

nathkenn said:
The way they output video is oddly different. You can account for it but it requires a little extra processing. The major visual differences usually come from the 360s substantially more powerful GPU.

:lol

Mmmkay

Agent Icebeezy said:
Dude, the PS3 box has 360 screens. PS3 version has no self-shadowing
They're linked from the GameSpot article... You can see the self shadowing just below the back of Hernandez's neck in the 360 shot that is not present in the PS3 version. Everything else looks baked into the texture from that angle.

GreekWolf

Mmmkay said:
Huh? The Imperial City shot is a great example of the texture filtering. There aren't really that many other differences in the game, except for where the article points out that textures have changed. The brightness thing isn't really a difference, since the capture card hasn't been calibrated to the PS3 output levels.
It could be that the brightness level is blasting some of the colors to where they aren't even present in the PS3 screens, but if it's really the fault of the capture card then it's kind of silly to do this sort of comparison in the first place.

I do think the difference in most multiplatform titles are negligible, which is pretty surprising considering what we all thought two years ago.

Illuminati said:
I swear I should just start a company that designs third party software that creates crowds for sports games.

Considering that there's already company that does nothing but TEXTURE work (mass quantities of textures) that companys from iD Software, Crytek, to the folks that made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have all used (let alone so many other companies), I'd think they'd be the 1st company to "steamroll" over you in that area.

Good idea though, as it's an extremely "last minute" addition to any sports game :(

Mrbob

nathkenn said:

Wow.

This is a bit surprising considering Nvidia is pwning ATI in the PC market right now, but I guess ATI put all their effort into the X360 GPU.

fernoca

Warm Machine said:
Say what you want but the crowd in 2K7 is actually pretty impressive. The lighting on them is great and you can literally put the camera anywhere in the stands and see fully polygonal people. Not an easy task to fill a stadium with millions of polys of seats and crowd and that goes for any sports game.

Well.
I said what I wanted..so, I win. :D

Anyway..
The new pics also show that the players in the PS3 version...gained weight..along the port apparently. :lol

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DiatribeEQ said:
Considering that there's already company that does nothing but TEXTURE work (mass quantities of textures) that companys from iD Software, Crytek, to the folks that made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have all used (let alone so many other companies), I'd think they'd be the 1st company to "steamroll" over you in that area.

Good idea though, as it's an extremely "last minute" addition to any sports game :(

I beg to differ rather it's a very complicated and computationally expensive thing that has to be put into sports games. It can be done but is by no means easy or last minute.

Also what exactly does :lol mean? Those are just the facts it doesnt mean the ps3 doesnt have a means of making up for that weakness but it does cause additional development work that splinters it off from the 360 which accounts for the difference in multiplatform titles. And when I say substantially I of course mean graphics whore substantially.

Mrbob said:
Wow.

This is a bit surprising considering Nvidia is pwning ATI in the PC market right now, but I guess ATI put all their effort into the X360 GPU.

Really? I haven't been following it too closely lately. I thought it was the other way around. Suppose it was for a while. I still have a Geforce 6600 :D

Crowd is one of the more difficult things to do. Because there is so many of them their polycount is extremely important. Too many polys and the LOD distance needs to get closer and you get jarring pops from one LOD to another. Too few and they don't look good from close up but the core game gets more processing power.

Then you need to have a decent amount of variation in them so they don't repeat but the more variety the more resources they use up. Animation variety is also important so they are not always doing the same thing and look natural in ambient states.

They also have to be baked down to vertex animations instead of weighted boned models and lighting applied. This all takes up massive amounts of space in memory.

Mrbob

It seems like all the PS3 versions have blurry textures by comparison, and not as good shading.

Everything except Oblivion, which looks sharper on PS3. I wonder why that is. I guess other 3rd party developers are rushing their PS3 ports confirmed. Bethesda took extra time on the PS3 version of Oblivion.

Mrbob said:
It seems like all the PS3 versions have blurry textures by comparison, and not as good shading.

Everything except Oblivion, which looks sharper on PS3. I wonder why that is. I guess other 3rd party developers are rushing their PS3 ports confirmed. Bethesda took extra time on the PS3 version of Oblivion.

After the shader update for the 360 and thru HDMI on the 360 they are on equal ground.

fse

nathkenn said:

interesting

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It took me a while to understand how to program shaders, but once I got the hang of it and I understood the concept, it would seem to me that the 360 has a huge advantage when it comes to GPU. TBH I do not know why the difference isnt bigger (not in screenshots, but in framerate). Maybe the Cell is trully a generation ahead of the 360 CPU and it can make up for the GPU advantage of the 360.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Speevy said:
These comparisons are getting on my nerves. Who cares?
I think it is more about serving crow to Kutaragi and Nvidia for those lame comparisons they made during E305 when I guess that technology was hot. From what I keep seeing both consoles are equal in power.

Mrbob

godhandiscen said:
I think it is more about serving crow to Kutaragi and Nvidia for those lame comparisons they made during E305 when I guess that technology was hot. From what I keep seeing both consoles are equal in power.

Yup. And bad news for the one currently 200 dollars more.

Time to close the price gap.

Top Bottom