• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

That's something I don't understand either. 1.5 for the OS, cool. An additional 1 GB for 'additional features'. Ok... But then another 1 on top of that being blocked off for no apparent reason? If Sony was going to block off all this RAM, as much as the One, I wouldn't be as mad if they actually DID something with it. There's a reason the One has so much RAM blocked off such as kinect integration, all the TV functionality, 3 OSs, etc. I fail to see what feature on PS4 necessitates that potentially more is corralled off.

What if tomorrow MS announced some amazing new OS feature (something like simultaneous PIP 8-person video party chat while watching a let's play on you tube and playing a game on the other half of the screen while taking satellite photos of your house oh wait how'd that get in there while creating shareable textures downloaded from your living room furniture while allowing virtual high-fives via Kinect) and it became that new hot shit, like Miis or custom soundtracks or achievements or party chat or cross-game invites, and they suddenly found that they couldn't implement it without borking the entire OS?

They are simply hedging their bets.

I know right! I will laugh my ass off when they try to re-order after this stupid comment/shitstorm and be denied because of no stock.

Can't wait to celebrate to those idiots.

loves%20to%20rake.gif

ittzg8sMZALt4.gif

daveo42

Banned
So from what I am understanding, devs can target their games to be built around 5.5GB of RAM but 1GB out of that can used to as a cache for other non-gaming functions while the game is in suspended state.

If that's the case then this "flexible" ram's function is one on system (most base) level that game devs would NOT have to worry about while developing their game.

This is strange because I remember an article posted here a while back which discussed PS4's ram. In it one developer said that the great thing about the set up is that they can NOT see the overall ram amount rather only what is available for development (as a hard limit). So, in essence, devs atm, should have access to the whole 5.5GB.

Interesting. I guess it could be for suspend state for games, but I always thought that would be included in the total OS footprint.

I am still behind the idea that they'll have 5.5 once final devs are sent out and can plan their games around having the extra ram if they need it.

spannicus

This whole entire situation now puts a greater emphasis on the quality of RAM and bandwith between GDDR5 and DDR3/ESRAM. The PS4 and Xbone might have similar numbers but the higher quality GDDR5 is going to make the difference and from what we are hearing from the insiders from people about it, most other devs agree.

Might want to chill out bro. You've been talking about Sony fanboys all day while looking pretty silly yourself.

Just fine by me, lol shits hilarious seeing these posts why not have fun lol. Say what you want I could give two shits im getting both anyways. Good day now leave me to my fun ..bro

As for the faster RAM making a difference, could you clarify on that? Developers are being able to use more assets per frame? More bandwidth for transparency and other framebuffer effects? Both? That is comparing first time efforts on both machines or after a few optimizations attempts (meaning if they already tried optimize the code for esram on xbone)

There's a lot more than this, but one of the things I'm being told is that the RAM in the PS4 makes a huge difference in computations for example. Can range from anything like permutations of AI behavior (open world games).

The difference between the types and speed of RAM in both machines will really only truly come to light in exclusive titles, unsurprisingly. Unsure about others, but at this particular (incredibly large) studio, the games are being developed to Xbox One specs, then ported over as required.

Then no amount of RAM will ever be enough.
Its never enough, so the more the merrier.

We can only hope that caps get lifted and more RAM becomes available to devs over time, and that's for the Xbox One and PS4 alike.

I do think the XBone got a ton of shit for the 3GB reserve. "1GB for each OS, lolz"

There's a lot more than this, but one of the things I'm made aware that the RAM in the PS4 makes a huge difference in computations for example. Can range from anything like permutations of AI behavior (open world games).

The difference between the types and speed of RAM in both machines will really only truly come to light in exclusive titles, unsurprisingly. Unsure about others, but at this particular (incredibly large) studio, the games are being developed to Xbox One specs, then ported over as required.

One of EA's? I know you won't answer, but still.

The extra memory for the OS is for a Linux partition that most wont use until they take it away then everyone who didnt use it can complain about it. :p

kinggroin

Banned
you know, this could explain why there are no pedestrians in infamous

not enough memory, so the system forgets to put them in

madmackem

Yes when they confirm that announcing 8 GB for games was to make them look better than Microsoft infront of the world and that there is 4 GB alloted for OS instead of 3.5GB. Meltdown continues and Sony Fanboys continue to say. " THIS MUST BE FALSE" LMAO.

When did they say they had 8 gig for just gaming? so is ms lying when they put 8 gig on all the pr stuff?. People have gone insane on these threads, i guess its the pent up aggression from the past four months of so.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can someone sum all this up? From what I've skimmed, developers at this moment in time may have 4.5 gb of RAM to work with, guaranteed. There is also an option for an additional 1 gb of "flexible" memory? And apparently this is all subject to change. And I see Mortimer and others claiming their sources are denying this.

Did anything even happen? I thought Sony was going to comment. I'm so confused lol.

So if it is a non issue does this mean the amount of RAM the Xbox One has available is similarly not limiting at all?

Correct.

5gb as of right now is plenty for anyone. As for year 4... we'll see. But Microsoft and Sony both have the means to cut the bloat out of their OS. So year four may see increases for both.

The sony fans that have been taunting microsoft fans with "LOLOLOL 5gb of ram lolol" have egg on their face and they should. Both systems are powerful and can still improve with better tools and firmware upgrades. In fact we may be hearing about a bump in MS specs soon. Or maybe not. Rumors are rampant this time of year.

I'm off to work. So for real, i'm leaving this thread now. Until my boss leaves and I get on my phone.

There's a lot more than this, but one of the things I'm made aware that the RAM in the PS4 makes a huge difference in computations for example. Can range from anything like permutations of AI behavior (open world games).

I was hoping we would see something that would spotlight this fundamental difference by now, but so far there seems to be a focus on the multiplats.

Gskyace

Just asked o_sharp, and he told me that Eurogamer might have some misunderstanding here.

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-3546518-1-1.html

1. The system OS will not use flexible memory.
2. Flexible memory is "heap"(Well, I don't know what's that, so probably DevGaf could help with this one.)
3. On DevCon, SCE said they will try to get more RAM for gaming from system OS. But it's quite hard, because PS4 should do multi-task like recording and live-streaming, etc.
4.According to his research for now, which he is not so confirm about it. So, probably, when you recording a 15 minutes video, the data is in ram. Only when Share is pressed, then data will flush into HDD. The game will need to pause for gpu suspension for throughput. live-streaming is in ram.

Wait...if anything wrong, will I get banned? X_X NooOooOoOooo

Orayn

My take on this is that the really graphically intense games will have 5.5 GB to work with on the PS4 and only 5 on the Xbox One. So how is Sony doomed?

In the chronicle of TALES FROM MY ASS, it is written that developers once had 7.9999999GB of the sacred GDDR5 available for games, until the Great Enemy tried to steal it and left developers with no more than 5.5GB. Then an oath was sworn to get the RAM back.

“Be he foe or friend, be he foul or clean
Brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,
Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,
Neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,
Dread nor danger, not Doom itself
Shall defend him from Fëanáro, and Fëanáro’s kin,
Whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
Finding keepeth or afar casteth
A Silmaril. This swear we all…
Death we will deal him ere Day’s ending,
Woe unto world’s end! Our word hear thou,
Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
Darkness doom us if our deed faileth…
On the holy mountain hear in witness
and our vow remember,
Manwë and Varda!"

Keep in mind that I may be confusing this for something else.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot more than this, but one of the things I'm being told is that the RAM in the PS4 makes a huge difference in computations for example. Can range from anything like permutations of AI behavior (open world games).

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Well, there goes my hope that most developers use the methodology as The Crew devs were doing (developing each version to the specific hardware). But at the same time, I saw this coming.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I should be outraged, but i don't care anymore. It's like i just don't want to get fucked in the arse by ether sony or ms going in this new gen. I feel like im being fucked in the butt regardless.

Shin

Banned
I'm getting the impression that people are thinking dev-kits = retail/consumer model.
The OS is based on Unix/BSD, how much memory can it use....like really?
Doesn't make sense, hell I'm already surprised that it's using 1.5 already, when all is said and done maybe we'll end up back at 7GB for games.

Kinyou

PS4 is still vastly ahead and games will reflect this, especially in comparisons.
I remember people saying that the reason for PS4 games not looking that much better than the xb1 games was that developers didn't have a chance to tap into the 8GB yet. This reasoning doesn't really hold up anymore.

No doubt is the PS4 still more powerful, but I'm not sure anymore how noticeable it will be.

Booshka

I hope the PS4 OS is worth the RAM investment. They have a lot of ground to make up in that sense compared to Xbox Live and Steam. If it's good though, it will be worth the RAM allocation.

Gonna be sticking with my PC (16 gigs of RAM going on 32 lol) for a while as all the next gen stuff shakes out.

The meltdowns and people cancelling preorders is fun to watch, thread is a madhouse.

Just curious but how much has the OS/reserved footprint for the 360 and PS3 changed since launch?

Anybody know?

If I'm remembering correctly:

The PS3 SDK reserved 120 megabytes for the OS at launch. That was brought down, soon after launch to about 98 megabytes. The OS was whittled down to about 76 megabytes around the launch of Heavenly Sword. Then finally brought down to the current 50 megabytes about 3 years ago.

Remember that the PS3 split ram configuration made the OS bloat even more problematic because all of the above numbers were split between the XDR and DDR3.

Just asked o_sharp, and he told me that Eurogamer might have some misunderstanding here.

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-3546518-1-1.html

1. The system OS will not use flexible memory.
2. Flexible memory is "heap"&#65288;Well, I don't know what's that, so probably DevGaf could help with this one.&#65289;
3. On DevCon, SCE said they will try to get more RAM for gaming from system OS. But it's quite hard, because PS4 should do multi-task like recording and live-streaming, etc.
4.According to his research for now, which he is not so confirm about it. So, probably, when you recording a 15 minutes video, the data is in ram. Only when Share is pressed, then data will flush into HDD. The game will need to pause for gpu suspension for throughput. live-streaming is in ram.

Wait...if anything wrong, will I get banned? X_X NooOooOoOooo

Shared by various processes, not guaranteed space.
Interesting, although it would have more limited uses than the 4.5GB guaranteed RAM, but definitely not useless.

Top Bottom