• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Heavenly Sword review. And the score is...

Snah said:
Given the fact that we only have a 5 minute demo of Heavenly Sword, whereas the entire release of Gears of War has been out for nearly a year, I'd be inclined to believe that one opinion isn't nearly as complete as the other.

You also mentioned you'd play GoW again before 'Heavenly Bored'. You seem to have some sort of axe to grind with Heavenly Sword and 'PS3 fans' in general.

Given the fact that I just only played GoW for a few hours this past week for the first time ever, you can go suck an egg.

A 5 minute demo that is not fun is not going to convince me that the other 9:55min of the god damned game is magically fun.

It's pure pleasure center response. HS failed to deliver, while GoW kept mashing on the "happy" button in my brain.

Incidentally, I only own a PS3 and am anxiously awaiting Wowhawk.

So the only axe I have to grind with the PS3 is an appalling lack of games.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'll start the HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD HEAVENLY SWORD thread.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The Take Out Bandit said:
Gears of War rocked me.

Heavenly Bored - not so much.

I would play GoW again before this one. :X
Who needs to beat it?

I'm judging it solely based on the fact that GoW is hella fun to play. Heavenly Sword is not.

But I understand there's a rabid contingent of PS3 fans desperate for anything resembling a decent game, so this one will get a pass.

GoW > HS
Based purely on the amount of FUN I had playing the damned things.
Thank you for your input
WikiPedia said:
A Troll is someone who intentionally posts messages about sensitive topics constructed to cause controversy in an online community such as an online discussion forum or USENET groups in order to bait users into responding.

PistolGrip said:
Thank you for your input

Q: How many Polaks does it take to review Heavenly Sword?

A: Three, one to play the game, one to hold up the appropriate amount of fingers on the rating scale, and the third to count the fingers.

arias

Banned

A: Three, one to play the game, one to hold up the appropriate amount of fingers on the rating scale, and the third to count the fingers.

I'm hoping one of the mods is Polish so you'll get banned. Fingers crossed!

Snah

Banned
Given the fact that I just only played GoW for a few hours this past week for the first time ever, you can go suck an egg.

A 5 minute demo that is not fun is not going to convince me that the other 9:55min of the god damned game is magically fun.

It's pure pleasure center response. HS failed to deliver, while GoW kept mashing on the "happy" button in my brain.

Incidentally, I only own a PS3 and am anxiously awaiting Wowhawk.

So the only axe I have to grind with the PS3 is an appalling lack of games.

Gears of War is fun (single player at least), but the same can be said of Heavenly Sword. Not sure why you feel so compelled to make remarks against Heavenly Sword.

Most people would probably disagree with you on the issue concerning whether or not Heavenly Sword is fun. I found the game to be extremely fun with engaging combat and fantastic artistic direction.

Appalling lack of games for the PS3? :lol

There's plenty of games to play for the PS3, and this fall looks great.

Snah said:
Appalling lack of games for the PS3? :lol

There's plenty of games to play for the PS3, and this fall looks great.

No, seriously - pull the other one.

I'm totally hot for Wowhawk, but I doubt that will move systems. I also am doubting the ability of any of Sony's holiday seasons to move systems as there's nothing there that appears to be sparking the interest of the public outside of Killzone 2 which isn't an '07 title.

PS3 is screwed this Holiday season. It's a good thing Sony has the PSP and PS2 to keep their monkey asses afloat.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam

I know you dont mean it but be a little more sensitive

NeoGaf Terms of Service:

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that cursing be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.

PistolGrip said:

NeoGaf Terms of Service:

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that cursing be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.

Didn't we have a thread about not doing this sort of thing because all it does is encourage "group" mentality?

Just let the mods do their job.

PistolGrip said:

NeoGaf Terms of Service:

A. Language

I'm a Polak, I can use the P word.

Actually I'm part Kraut too, so I loathe the Polak half and can use the K word as well. :p

Snah

Banned
DCharlie said:
how many are there worth playing though? Also factor in people who started this gen at the end of 2005.

I started this gen at the end of 2005, and there are quite a few games to play for the system.

Resistance, MotorStorm, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (if you're a fan of the title or haven't played it previously), Super Stardust HD, Oblivion (if you haven't played it previously and like the genre), Virtua Fighter 5 (if you're a fighting game fan).

All systems tend to have an early drought before the titles start streaming in. But I'd say the PS3's drought hasn't been all that bad.

I'm totally hot for Wowhawk, but I doubt that will move systems. I also am doubting the ability of any of Sony's holiday seasons to move systems as there's nothing there that appears to be sparking the interest of the public outside of Killzone 2 which isn't an '07 title.

PS3 is screwed this Holiday season. It's a good thing Sony has the PSP and PS2 to keep their monkey asses afloat.

Can't believe you're not a junior member. Your post reeks of immaturity.

PS3 may be 'screwed this holiday season', but I'll sure as hell be having a lot of fun playing it.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam

Actually I'm part Kraut too, so I loathe the Polak half and can use the K word as well. :p
oh no wonder you cant enjoy this game ;) only killzone for you

Karma Kramer said:
Didn't we have a thread about not doing this sort of thing because all it does is encourage "group" mentality?

Just let the mods do their job.
Link? not doing mod's job just trying to ask someone to be more sensitive.

Dont really care, but if you count the games this holiday season that appeal to me on either system...its bioshock, Mass Effect and LO on the 360....and HS, Uncharted, R & C on the PS3...personally, minus bioshock, I prefer the ps3 selection...but whatever

but, jerk off, jerk away, your on a roll kid

Wollan

KZ1 is the best selling game in your country (ever) or at least was when it was released.
Tell your countrymen to keep the tradition next spring.

Snah said:
Can't believe you're not a junior member. Your post reeks of immaturity.

PS3 may be 'screwed this holiday season', but I'll sure as hell be having a lot of fun playing it.

Why?

Because my opinion flies in the face of your own?

I'm totally happy with my PS3. It runs Linux, MAME, and VLC for media playback nicely. DVD playback is awesome as well. The upscaled image is freakin' awesome.

SSHD is a fun ass game, but nobody is going to drop $500 to play it. And Warhawk will rock. And I will have fun with it.

Still, I'm not going to delude myself into believing Sony has anything to steal thunder from MS or Nintendo this holiday season. :\

If you're a PS3 owner, former PS2 fan that enjoys the franchises coming out - then you'll be fine.

I prefer the ps3 selection...but whatever

You forgot about Warhawk!

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Son of Godzilla said:
The Bioshockabration started with either PC Gamer UK or Eurogamer, but you can remember things how you want to.
Are you sure about this? I really thought it was UK OXM but I may be wrong.

Gadfly said:
Are you sure about this? I really thought it was UK OXM but I may be wrong.
OXM was just along for the 11/10 ride, the crazy buzz definently started with some absolutely absurd impressions from PC Gamer UK I think it was.

Gadfly

Why?

Because my opinion flies in the face of your own?

I'm totally happy with my PS3. It runs Linux, MAME, and VLC for media playback nicely. DVD playback is awesome as well. The upscaled image is freakin' awesome.

SSHD is a fun ass game, but nobody is going to drop $500 to play it. And Warhawk will rock. And I will have fun with it.

Still, I'm not going to delude myself into believing Sony has anything to steal thunder from MS or Nintendo this holiday season. :\

If you're a PS3 owner, former PS2 fan that enjoys the franchises coming out - then you'll be fine.

You forgot about Warhawk!

This thread is not about how Sony will do this holiday. This was about a HS review. We heard you the first time you said you don't like it. Now please let's get back to the subject.

Odrion

Banned
Snah said:
The problem is, will you have fun next holiday and the holiday after that? Sony needs to get a bigger audience before the third party companies completely abandon it.

I really, really, really want this console to be successful.

Snah

Banned
Odrion said:
The problem is, will you have fun next holiday and the holiday after that? Sony needs to get a bigger audience before the third party companies completely abandon it.

I really, really, really want this console to be successful.

Why wouldn't they be successful?

it's not like sony is going to stop funding game development. it's not like the third parties are going to stop developing games for it.

contrary to what some may believe, the system is not tanking and it is not a failure. it's just highly priced.

once the price comes down, more people will come.

lollerskates said:
8.2 ign,
7.9 gamespot.

sales for it will be about as good as that ubi game with the female lead and the pig whatever it was called

wouldnt be a bonafide ps3 thread, without your trolling... thread validated

Kosma

Banned
I'm in Poland right now visiting some family. Let's get a few things straight about the magazines here: they're all far up Sony's ass. I know cause I always read them when I'm here. For instance this mag is called PSXextreme. Hmmmm. It's multi format yes but you don't have to be able to read polish to know where it's roots are.

I'm waiting for the Edge review :lol

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
Free form combat. Think Virtua Fighter, where as NG reminds me of Tekken or Dead or Alive.

God of War II had a good amount, and DMC3 has about 19 bosses.

This really surprises me because they announced this game has a straight-up action title (they didn't even opt for a jump button because of said fact) so I never would have guessed enemy count and boss diversity would be an issue with this game.
1) Tekken and DOA are as much "free form" fighters as VF is. That little analogy is totally retarded. Just because YOU can't perform free form combos in either game doesn't mean they lack them or there isn't a huge emphasis on them. And DMC is not like VF at all, it's more akin to 3rd Strike/MVC2 where as NG is more akin to DOA (NG still has free-form combos just not as much emphasis is placed on it).

2) DMC3 does not have 19 bosses, it has 20 missions total and not every stage has a boss fight in it (Mission#15 and Mission#6 for example). Plus Vergil comes in 3 times in the game. And a lot of the bosses suck ass, I would rather have not fought them at all (Arkham and Leviathan come to mind). And more bosses =/= better game, especially if you are treated to some shitty bosses like in NG (electrical eals/giant plant monsters/fossil dinos/snowmans).

3) Enemy count is pretty high in Heavenly Sword and from the review, the AI is good enough. I think the number of bosses is good as well, there should be at least 6 in the game. That is certainly more bosses than in the original DMC and the diversity is there as well.

lollerskates said:
8.2 ign,
7.9 gamespot.

sales for it will be about as good as that ubi game with the female lead and the pig whatever it was called
PS3 thread confirmed.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
When people compare great games like A > B

... do they mean to say that they'll be playing A forever?

By 2009, GAF will ONLY be talking about Bioshock.

Gadfly

Crayon Shinchan said:
When people compare great games like A > B

... do they mean to say that they'll be playing A forever?

By 2009, GAF will ONLY be talking about Bioshock.
Bioshock is a great game and a must buy if you have the system to run it. But I doubt people will be playing it over and over again all the way through 2009. This is not a flaw. It's just the nature of the game IMO. Sometimes great experiences are great because you can only truly experience them once.

MaX_PL

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I'm in Poland right now visiting some family.

nice, i'm doing the same.

PS3 costs 2400 zloty here which is insane. thats 800 dollars.

Xbox 360 is 500 bucks with like 3 or 4 games packed in at stores like Media Market.

with that said, i havent seen anyone buy either console yet.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Gadfly said:
Bioshock is a great game and a must buy if you have the system to run it. But I doubt people will be playing it over and over again all the way through 2009. This is not a flaw. It's just the nature of the game IMO. Sometimes great experiences are great because you can only truly experience them once.

Thanks for expounding on my point.

Acosta

Is funny when people not only expose they don´´t like the demo (fair enough), but not happy with it they say the game will be average, will bomb on sales and the PS3 will have a dreadful Christmas games and sales wise.... ah! and that a shooter with one year is the market is undoubtedly better than a unreleased beat'em up with a 5 min demo, based on the solid fact that he enjoyed more his playtime with the shooter. Big deal.

I will buy the game, beat it and when finish I will say if I enjoyed it.

Acosta said:
Is funny when people not only expose they don´´t like the demo (fair enough), but not happy with it they say the game will be average, will bomb on sales and the PS3 will have a dreadful Christmas games and sales wise.... ah! and that a shooter with one year is the market is undoubtedly better than a unreleased beat'em up with a 5 min demo, based on the solid fact that he enjoyed more his playtime with the shooter. Big deal.

I will buy the game, beat it and when finish I will say if I enjoyed it.

its the Take out Bandit...he likes be bolshy...just ignore it...he' probably buy it, then hate on it after

deepbrown

KUFI said:
Yea, little weird in this type of game, isnt? :)

Aye strange for a game that uses a controller with buttons on it...

ps. anyone who "pounds" into buttons isn't playing it right :p

Anyway, nice - so what have we got? 10/10, 9+/10, 9/10 (and I think an 8/10 from PSW even when the breakdown is 10 graphics, 10 sound, 8 gameplay :/ - Lair also got 8/10, but lower scores on the individuals :/)

Forsete

Gold Member
Is the game going to have a world wide release?

Not sure if I should import or not. If the game has a WW-release I might just get it locally, saves 3 days of waiting. :D

deepbrown

Forsete said:
Is the game going to have a world wide release?

Not sure if I should import or not. If the game has a WW-release I might just get it locally, saves 3 days of waiting. :D

where are you based? I've preordered from Amazon for £32 in UK... should come out same time as US (14th?)

segarr

I really like the look of this game....everything from the main character to the gameplay to the story.

I personally never really got into Ninja Gaiden or DMC, this game looks like it could be more up my ally while still being a bit similar to those in gameplay. When I get a PS3, this is first on the list definitely.

Forsete

Gold Member
deepbrown said:
where are you based? I've preordered from Amazon for £32 in UK... should come out same time as US (14th?)

Sweden.. I usually import from Videogamesplus, I usually have to wait 3-4 days before it arrives in the mail. They start shipping the games on the release date, not before. :/

It the game has a world wide release I might just get it locally, even if its way more expensive.. I cant wait. :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'm not too exited about this game. It looks decent and it could turn out to be as good as God of War or Devil may cry, but Ive got a feeling that the game has been over-hyped and it wont live upto the expectations. I hope that the game proves me wrong though. I'll wait for the gamespot review before I decide if i should buy it. If gamespot gives it higher than an 8.6 I'll consider it.

Top Bottom