• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 had Platinum's biggest team size and their longest dev cycle

zoukka

There's some truth to the comment on gamers focusing too much on sales nowadays. The discussion of 101 is quickly derailed into the doom talk that hangs over Wii U. Yes it's simple math that the game most likely will bomb, but so what? The game itself still could be of high quality and it looks completely unique. Buy the game and worry about sales after you've finished it (five times) over.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
"Even foreign users talk about whether a game will sell or won't sell...I wonder why the players worry about sales so much....Maybe it's because numbers are easiest to understand when rating games...it's the same with review scores...I think you should decide on the games' merits on your own, instead of borrowing some random numbers, though."

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/365334536814465025
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/365334653470646273
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/365335055041691649
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/365335379693404160

I wonder if the sales obsession has really been kicked into high gear by this generation and the terrible economics of the game industry resulting in so many developers going under or getting bought out and wrecked.

Understandable if so, in a lot of ways. But I suppose it does kind of muddle things. And people are fixated on numbers - part of the human condition.

JPKellams

There's some truth to the comment on gamers focusing too much on sales nowadays. The discussion of 101 is quickly derailed into the doom talk that hangs over Wii U. Yes it's simple math that the game most likely will bomb, but so what? The game itself still could be of high quality and it looks completely unique. Buy the game and worry about sales after you've finished it (five times) over.

Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer.

This is my favourite (in response to his above Tweets):

そんなこと気にするやついる…? 慈善でゲーム買うわけじゃないんだから… RT @vwgtkeslq: 売れればそのメーカーの次のゲームにつながるから?

Q: Is it because, if the games sells, it'll benefit the developer's next game?
A: Is there anyone who worries about that...? You're not buying games out of charity...

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/365339759909937153

Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer.

Yep.

I enjoy sales talk, to an extent, but I don't loose sleep or have less fun because Pikmin 3 is probably going to halve it's Japanese sales compared to Pikmin 2. I had my fun with the game and at the end of the day, that's all I really care about.

Haines

Banned
My biggest fear is this game bombs sales wise no mater how good it is.

I know I will buy it, but I sure hope NA Nintendo throws a promo for it.

This. I love my Vita. I know it is a failure of a platform, and is slowly dying, but I love it none the less. :)

Hiltz

Well, Nintendo intended for titles like Nintendo Land and New SMBU to be evergreen sellers, but both have failed. Lego City also failed to do well despite the broad appeal of the Lego IP. As for Pikmin 3, it wasn't expected to be a system-seller, but so far, its sales performance in Japan has basically been on par with Pikmin 1's in the same time frame.

You know what? Fuck it I'm going to buy a Wii U for this game. There's at least 7 current and upcoming games that's out this year that I'm interested in.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's some peoples careers to worry about sales.... And they worry less than this thread. Wow.

More content than Bayonetta is insane. Now I just want to know the name of the final difficulty level. How will Kamiya top Dante Must Die, Ultra V-Rated and Non-Stop Infinite Climax?

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's going to bomb but it's to be expected since gamers are not appreciative of new I.P in general and especially unique or niche looking.

mylasthope

Neo Member
You know what? Fuck it I'm going to buy a Wii U for this game. There's at least 7 current and upcoming games that's out this year that I'm interested in.

Boss move. I'm seriously debating whether or not I should pre-order this or wait for a deal. I have quite the backlog already and I'm paying off my PS4 game pre-orders. =/

F#A#Oo

Banned
Well, Nintendo intended for titles like Nintendo Land and New SMBU to be evergreen sellers, but both have failed. Lego City also failed to do well despite the broad appeal of the Lego IP. As for Pikmin 3, it wasn't expected to be a system-seller, but so far, its sales performance in Japan has basically been on par with Pikmin 1's in the same time frame.

What are you talking about?

How can you tell what is evergreen and what isn't especially with Pikmin 3 just released a few weeks.

Come back next year or beyond or something then talk about what is evergreen.

wow at the worries get a life damn Gamers
e5YuU.gif

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Shit gets boring after a while. Especially with a game that will make the "WiiU must buy" list for eternity.

Can't fucking wait to play it.

george_us

I was going to wait until Bayonetta 2 hit to get a Wii U but I don't think I can hold out that long now.

Wonderful 101 looks goddamn amazing.

Darryl

Banned
I wonder if the sales obsession has really been kicked into high gear by this generation and the terrible economics of the game industry resulting in so many developers going under or getting bought out and wrecked.

Understandable if so, in a lot of ways. But I suppose it does kind of muddle things. And people are fixated on numbers - part of the human condition.

i think this game in particular is just in a prime spot for people wondering how it is going to do sales wise. they strategically positioned themselves in the middle of a console war. it should be expected, i don't see what the big deal is

It isn't about the quick sales, it is about building a ecosystem for the wii u that will attract more people.
This game will be great and this together with the sick lineup coming this fall to next spring make a great argument for buying a wii u.
Buying day 1!!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

thanks for this post :) I actually agree we should stop worrying about if games bomb or not, just buy and enjoy them, buy systems cause u want to play games on them, buy games to play them, and just have fun.

watershed

Banned
This game looks fun as hell, funner than anything on the Wii U so far. But I feel bad for Platinum Games, this thing is gonna bomb.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This whole board is about worrying and caring too much

Well, is it really just called worrying when you straight up give people the context and facts they are craving, but they go carrying on regardless? More like wilfull blindness really.

Anyway, I'm in for this one.

No matter the quality of this game, it's going to be an utter sales failure regardless of platform. This could be on PS360U and still sell less than 200k WW.
It's just too quirky, abstract and cute to be a success. I fully expect this game to do less than 200k WW, and Nintendo seems to agree with that outlook, basically sweeping the game in a corner instead of aggressively advertising it.

Still, have the game pre-ordered and look forward to play such a crazy original game.

Kater

Banned
Kamiya and his whole team are just so damn fine people. Wonderful 101 will be a good addition to my games collection, I'm sure of it! :)

Kamiya with the real talk. If you like the game, buy it and enjoy it.

I'm a PG fan and I'm looking forward to playing it, excited about the big dev push they're putting into it.

_Clash_

Gosh darn,

I would think as a gaming community the prevailing attitude wouldn't be "LOL will fail. Wii U." aspect of this story, but the "Amazing game that we always wish would come out it is coming out, how can we cheer this on and support it??"

Buy a Wii U, get the game,show support for creative unique AAA IP. Nintendo won't price this like an EA shooter where it will be $15 after 3 months, it will be a stayer.

Gamers need to support what they believe in.

Dang0

I really hope this games has massive sales if only to see the gobsmacked reactions. Even though I know it probably won't.

Remember though that the attachment rate matters more the number of sales. Considering that theres probably only 4 million or so Wii U's sold at the moment, getting 500,000 in a few months would be about 1/8 of Wii U's install base, and Nintendo will be keeping an eye on how much it bumps up the Wii U's sales as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Platinum will be fine, even if this does bomba. If I was a company looking for a developer, I'd be more interested in the metacritic than their past sales. Let me give you the concept and idea I think will sell best, get a well proven developer to make it.

Synth

For me, it's not a case of wanting to root for a winner. It's that I worry that bad sales for great games make it less likely that I'll receive further games like them. You guys make some of the best games out there right now. I just don't want that to change.

We'll probably never get another Wipeout.
We'll probably never get another Shenmue.
We almost didn't get another Bayonetta.

So in a way, crazy sales can make a game more fun, because the gamer is more likely to get more of it. It definitely shouldn't be the only thing people talk about every time the game's name comes up however.

DihcarEM

My most wanted game this year and while i do hope that it does well in sales for i would want any great developer to be rewarded for their excellent work for providing top of the shelf entertainment. Other then that i couldn't care less. I'm going to play and own the game. And i'm pretty sure this game will do just fine.

The genres we love as hardcore gamers aren't going to disappear forever. Their budgets might shrink, they might end up on kickstarter instead of traditional venues, but we'll still have lots of great games to play.

We'll not see another big budget Valkyria Chronicles, but there's still months or years worth of gameplay left in it if you pick it back up. Enjoy what you've got. I don't think PG is going anywhere.

JPKellams

For me, it's not a case of wanting to root for a winner. It's that I worry that bad sales for great games make it less likely that I'll receive further games like them. You guys make some of the best games out there right now. I just don't want that to change.

So in a way, crazy sales can make a game more fun, because the gamer is more likely to get more of it. It definitely shouldn't be the only thing people talk about every time the game's name comes up however.

If that is what you are worried about, then worry about someone bombing our building, not the game bombing in sales. One would actually stop us, the worst the other one can do is slow us down or send us in different directions. Creators never stop creating, no matter the name on the door.

Besides, if all you want is sequels, we aren't the company to be worried about anyways.

boi

Neo Member
I think it is really good to see these two Japanese companies bonding together. I always thought they were a good fit. People are willing to buy consoles for Platinum Games' games, and people are willing to buy consoles for Nintendo games. Their profiles fit.

Too bad for the sales of W101, but either way they are helping each other out. Nintendo needs games, even if they're not that great and millionsellers, and Platinum needs money and at the same time get the freedom to do what they want.

It wont ruin them.

Top Bottom