• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 had Platinum's biggest team size and their longest dev cycle

And here's another (Then VS Now):

25qc.png
60.jpg

qbw.png
611.jpg

JDSN

Banned
qbw.png

Ha, I remember people using this one to discredit the game, who would have know it would improve after a year of dev time?

Man, I remember when people flipped their shit out when this game was first announced.

It made me think I was posting at Dudebro.com.

I cringe a lot online but that took me kind of by surprise.

Right when I saw the game, it hit the spot with me:

Colorful, "arcadey", doesn't-take-itself-seriously, fast, etc...

ok stupid post (should have read the whole thread before answering a first page post..)

So now I just want to play the game. Stop flooding me with little news like this Platinum. I don't need anything to convince me. This is the fu*king best new ip this year !

monome

can we stop playing the sales number game?

can we post itshappening.gif or be merry?

neither will Nintendo nor PG close shops if TW101 fails at retail.
so we're not looking at a Titanic moment in the making.

and none of us has played the full game apart from JP, so it's a little early to cry over the fact a sequel won't come as early as the day after the original game releases...

neither PS4 nor X1 can be bought right now.

So basically we're getting a Kamiya game, on the latest console, for cheap (in Euroland) and with a digital day 1 purchase option.

it even has a fucking great website, and games sites are being pretty nice to it for all I see.

Nintendo knows good stuff pretty much sells itself. so the lack of a marketing push is not inidcative of disdain. mainly they don't want to ruin the chances of making the game profitable.

monome

Dev size/costs are directly related to sales, so in this topic I don't think it's off-topic really.

numbers?

you, and I, and 99% of this forum have no effin' idea of the size/cost of the TW101 team...so why bother with equations when you miss the first half?

and do we know about the contract PG and Nintendo made? how much% of the money PG will get? are they entitled to bonuses? have they an agreement to pursue the series? aka Nintendo wants another Kamiya game no matter what and the deal was always about getting 2 Kamiya directed games for WiiU in a 2 years span etc...

we know nothing. not a thing about the money side of TW101.

expect Nintendo paid for a nice website.
and allowed a longer than expected dev time.

which, for a rather informed gamer like I, is more than good enough to justify a purchase and be happy with it.

less informed people will decide on their own terms. and it does not matter to me.

MadWorld sold like shit. well, okay, you still got a reboot/sequel on the consoles people begged for it to live on.
Bayo did not sell like crazy. its sequel is coming and is directly funded by the n°1 console maker of this gen and some previous ones...

Synth

If that is what you are worried about, then worry about someone bombing our building, not the game bombing in sales. One would actually stop us, the worst the other one can do is slow us down or send us in different directions. Creators never stop creating, no matter the name on the door.

Besides, if all you want is sequels, we aren't the company to be worried about anyways.

Hmm, yea... I did a terrible job at getting my thoughts across. I wasn't trying to say that we should get sequels to everything. Seeing as I've enjoyed MadWorld, Bayonetta, Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns, I'm actually glad to have played 4 great original IP's rather than MadWorld 1,2,3 and 4. I was just listing experiences that I liked, that I feel are becoming less likely to be created as time goes on. I can see how that came across though, so I apologise for that.

Maybe instead of games, a better comparison would be between creators?

Both Shigeru Miyamoto, and Yu Suzuki are responsible for many different IP's and experiences that I consider to be amongst the best the industry has ever seen. However, one's creations in general are still seen as viable for today's market, whilst the other's are not. Neither creator ceased creating, but the opportunity for each to create on the scale of what they could in the past is very different between them today, and this is something that does in turn affect gamers. The different direction isn't an equivalent direction in this case.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. I probably should have kept my thoughts to myself on this one. This isn't a thread to discuss sales or the future of games. I was just trying convey why I individually consider how well things I like are performing (in any medium).

Sorry about that.

Sendou

And this is all thanks to Nintendo. Funny how it took Nintendo to let Platinum try their hands with a higher budget game.

Riki

Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer.
Here here! If people only buy games that are guarenteed to sell well then they are going to have a rather boring library.

Fisico

The GAF hype is increasingly affecting me, I want and probably will buy this game D1
But I don't even own a Wii U and don't think I will before 2014

VJ fan here.

Synth

It has several already...

Well, that's all a matter of opinion really.

For me, there's this, Bayo 2, and Sonic Lost World (which I'm currently not entirely sure on).

For someone else none of these three may be important, and the games that are have already been released. Obviously some people are waiting for something else, or the console's sales would be a lot higher right now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seriously expecting this to be one of the best, if not the best Platinum game ever, and one of the best games this year!!

I guess you could say I got caught by the hype, and now the game is just around the corner as well (EU)

Sendou

Well, that's all a matter of opinion really.

For me, there's this, Bayo 2, and Sonic Lost World (which I'm currently not entirely sure on).

For someone else none of these three may be important, and the games that are have already been released. Obviously some people are waiting for something else, or the console's sales would be a lot higher right now.

You should consider Pikmin 3 a must-have in the future.

Subaru

We are worried about sales because we love Kamiya, Platinum and Nintendo.

I'm literally doing MARKETING for this game, I'm hyping every Wii U owner that I know, posting on facebook everytime, I even changed my avatar/cover photo to W101 ones. I really wanna that this game is a sucess, because I really like Wii U and I really LOVE Kamiya and Platinum.

And this hype is not out of nowhere, Bayonetta and Rising are my favorite X360/PS3 games. And I don't even need to list again all gorgeous Kamiya's games, right?

I think Kamiya is, by far, my favorite game designer in this century (yeah, this is a easy way to not have to say "after miyamoto and yu suzuki" because what hey made 20 years ago).

Guess I have to buy a Wii U now if only to prevent Platinum financial meltdown. Stores are basically throwing the things at people here anyway.

jmls1121

Banned
Guess I have to buy a Wii U now if only to prevent Platinum financial meltdown. Stores are basically throwing the things at people here anyway.

Its well worth it dude, negative GAF can cloud judgment. WiiU already has like 5 classic games in NintendoLand, ZombiU, Lego City and Pikmin. And NSMBU is WAY better than Gaf gives it credit for.

jmls1121

Banned
So it's only gone from very, very ugly to very ugly.

Looks like it could be fun, though. Will wait for it to bomb and pick up cheap to make sure.

Those are close up shots of miniature characters. That is not representative of the graphics while playing. The game is actually quite pretty.

And LOL at waiting for bargain bin prices for a Nintendo game. Have fun waiting 5 years.

Still don't have an idea of what this game is supposed to be, it looks like a comic book super hero Pikmin action game, I just can't imagine what the gameplay is like. But looking at Kamiya's resumée I'm sure it will be great. Just two more weeks and I'll know!

So it's only gone from very, very ugly to very ugly.

Looks like it could be fun, though. Will wait for it to bomb and pick up cheap to make sure.

You'll be waiting a long time, Nintendo games don't go down in price until they rerelease them in a budget line, like "Nintendo selects" for the Wii, near the end of a console's life.

JDSN

Banned
Wasn't Sin and Punishment 2 a Nintendo game? I remember getting that from Newegg for 5 bucks or something like that. Just saying...
That was probably due overstock, I dont think retailers are gonna run into that considering the low shelf space WiiU gets these days.

monome

Still don't have an idea of what this game is supposed to be, it looks like a comic book super hero Pikmin action game, I just can't imagine what the gameplay is like.

it's a fast paced action game.

the pure coincidence of Pikmin 3 releasing not far apart is the sole reason for your doubt.

Anyways Pikmin 3 plays better with a wiimote.

whereas TW101 plays on gamepad or pro controller.
it should tell you about the kind of gameplay you're gonna get.

to simplify : think action game with a "gimmick" of mutliple characters appearing where in reality you play as one body of characters.
this allows for strategy as you swap the main character to enjoy different powers.
and can also gain/use other abilities if you "manage" the whole range of characters appearing on screen.

think managing characters = choosing weapons in bayo.

the isometric angle is to make it possible to actually understand what's going on when you have huge ennemies and many characters on-screen.

it's an action game.period.
as a Kamiya action game, it has strategy all over its gameplay. so that after one playthrough you still have stuff to discover/ unlock/ learn to do.

Shiggy

And LOL at waiting for bargain bin prices for a Nintendo game. Have fun waiting 5 years.

LOL
Are you serious? Prices of Nintendo games have never dropped faster than now. Nintendo Land at €20, Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 for less than €40 at launch, Sing Party for €20, and on and on. It's an urban myth that Nintendo games can't be found for cheap - you just need to do some searching.

You'll be waiting a long time, Nintendo games don't go down in price until they rerelease them in a budget line, like "Nintendo selects" for the Wii, near the end of a console's life.

Not if you live in Europe.

Madouu

Well this is pretty cool for the game, it means they tried their best to make this even better than what they've done so far. My expectation are now pretty high for The Wonderful 101 (well even higher than before).

I agree that the "but it will bomb" comments make a lot of threads about a few games very hard to read, but for this particular one, I guess it's good to have a discussion on whether it is wise or not to spend a lot of resources on a game that people expect to perform very bad.

Personally, I'as a gamer I don't care if it is wise or not, I'm happy that we can still get games like these looking at the current state the industry is in. I'm thankful to both Platinum & Nintendo for this. Middle sized development teams are a dying breed on consoles, and it's such a shame because it means less and less unique and ambitious games such as The Wonderful 101.

I'm extremely excited for this game, September can't come soon enough.

PokéKong

You gather "energy" to fill a bar to use your signature special abilities and there seems to be a parry system, the game is basically Revengeance with a new coat of paint, I'll take it.

it's a fast paced action game.

the pure coincidence of Pikmin 3 releasing not far apart is the sole reason for your doubt.

Anyways Pikmin 3 plays better with a wiimote.

whereas TW101 plays on gamepad or pro controller.
it should tell you about the kind of gameplay you're gonna get.

to simplify : think action game with a "gimmick" of mutliple characters appearing where in reality you play as one body of characters.
this allows for strategy as you swap the main character to enjoy different powers.
and can also gain/use other abilities if you "manage" the whole range of characters appearing on screen.

think managing characters = choosing weapons in bayo.

the isometric angle is to make it possible to actually understand what's going on when you have huge ennemies and many characters on-screen.

it's an action game.period.
as a Kamiya action game, it has strategy all over its gameplay. so that after one playthrough you still have stuff to discover/ unlock/ learn to do.

Thank you for the explanation! Sounds interesting. So one character represents a weapon and you change weapons by making another character the leader of the group? Seems simple, but with enough complexity and freedom when it comes to play style. So pretty much in line with other Platinum action games (I only played Bayonetta and MGR, those are like that).
I have a copy preordered, gotta support one of the last few devs who put gameplay and fun first!

And yes, Pikmin 3 is a lot better with the Wiimote, it's borderline unplayable with the gamepad for me.

I do live in Europe. 40-50€ was the normal price for Wii games, no? And those are the prices NSMBU, Pikmin, W101 are being sold at online. So not much has changed there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer.
The sales of a game don't effect my opinion of it, I just have a hobby of discussing the business side of the industry as well.

Probably over half of my favorite games have either totally tanked, had their developers get shut down, their series become unviable and/or unrecognizable in an effort to appeal to the mainstream/deal with market change, had their sub-genre fade away, or somehow otherwise imploded in a way that prevents me from getting more good games from that series and/or developer, but that still doesn't make me like the games less.

Here's a good question: if everyone thinks this is going to "bomb" (I think it will be profitable), what then? So you think it's going to bomb. Should it not have been made? Should Nintendo have said, "10K worldwide lifetime sales, let's not make this?" Should they have paid Platinum to make a cinematic set piece TPS instead, since they are more marketable?

monome

The sales of a game don't effect my opinion of it, I just have a hobby of discussing the business side of the industry as well.

Probably over half of my favorite games have either totally tanked, had their developers get shut down, their series become unviable and/or unrecognizable in an effort to appeal to the mainstream/deal with market change, had their sub-genre fade away, or somehow otherwise imploded in a way that prevents me from getting more good games from that series and/or developer, but that still doesn't make me like the games less.

celebrate the living ones.
that's how I cope with my gaming-extinction anxiety.

nobody wants to lose.
not everybody can win.
what makes the game engaging.
is that it's ever changing.

LOL
Are you serious? Prices of Nintendo games have never dropped faster than now. Nintendo Land at €20, Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 for less than €40 at launch, Sing Party for €20, and on and on. It's an urban myth that Nintendo games can't be found for cheap - you just need to do some searching.

Even if this game utterly bombs (which I have no doubt it will) Platinum should be fine as they have potential and are great devs. Their games may not be successful but they at least make decent games.

Should they have paid Platinum to make a cinematic set piece TPS instead, since they are more marketable?

Already made. It bombed too iirc.

Here's a good question: if everyone thinks this is going to "bomb" (I think it will be profitable), what then? So you think it's going to bomb. Should it not have been made? Should Nintendo have said, "10K worldwide lifetime sales, let's not make this?" Should they have paid Platinum to make a cinematic set piece TPS instead, since they are more marketable?

Yeah, I don't quite understand that. Nintendo are way too reliant on pumping out sequels to their most marketable franchises, so when they do something like this and put their weight behind a brand new IP, I feel they should be commended for it. If this game bombs, Nintendo are going to take fewer of these kinds of risks in the future, which is going to be terrible for everyone, so I'm not sure why people are so quick to gloat about it.

Madouu

I think the frustration comes from most of the talk being about the game's sales and not the game in itself even although we have had quite a lot of info regarding the game released recently.

For this particular game, there's also quite a lot of what I would call aggravating factors that always steer the talk away from the game towards sales. Things like Platinum's games sales history, Wii U sales failing, it being a Nintendo exclusive game, Bayonetta 2 etc.

Sadist

I think the frustration comes from most of the talk being about the game's sales and not the game in itself even although we have had quite a lot of info regarding the game released recently.

For this particular game, there's also quite a lot of what I would call aggravating factors that always steer the talk away from the game towards sales. Things like Platinum's games sales history, Wii U sales failing, it being a Nintendo exclusive game, Bayonetta 2 etc.
It's not just this game, but a problem with GAF in general. I know that on GAF you can discuss whatever you want (well almost everything) and sales/industry talk is a big part of the community. But I dunno, the last couple of years you can't walk into a game related thread anymore without seeing a lot of sales chatter. Some of us (we're all at fault here I guess) just can't discuss anything else anymore.

TW101 is one of the most notorious examples. It's just getting tedious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
sucks this game will bomb so hard and platinum wont get to make half life 3 :(:(:(:(

Kyon

Banned
nnnn this game is gonna flop so hard.
ibhBf1SN5P83U7.png

All that money and time spent on it. RIP hope the best for them tho..

Top Bottom