• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RetroGAF] Buy a 3DO or a Jaguar?

s_mirage

3DO. Better library and the a lot of the games have a unique mid 90's slickness that's kind of hard to explain.

And dont forget Way of the Warrior, Total Eclipse and Madden for 3DO too. 3DO actually has alot of good games. Star Control 2 is must own.

IrishNinja

pretty sure you know OP, but any others: doujindace on ebay sells RGB modded 3DO's, that's the one i'd go with if i was in the market right now

Really hard to recommend a Jaguar over a 3DO. I had a 3DO in 94-95 and it was great at the time. Road Rash, Star Control 2, lots of good stuff. And while its not necessarily a great game, you can own/play a neat bit of gaming history if you get Way of the Warrior. It's the very first Naughty Dog game, and the only one ever to appear on a non-Sony platform.

Krowley

I never owned a Jaguar, but had a hell of a lot of fun with my 3DO back in the day. For a while there it had a surge of momentum and built up a decent library.

Get a 3DO. It had the "classic" Plumbers Don't Wear Ties...

Really hard to recommend a Jaguar over a 3DO. I had a 3DO in 94-95 and it was great at the time. Road Rash, Star Control 2, lots of good stuff. And while its not necessarily a great game, you can own/play a neat bit of gaming history if you get Way of the Warrior. It's the very first Naughty Dog game, and the only one ever to appear on a non-Sony platform.
You never heard of Rings of Power on the Sega Genesis? Naughty Dog also made games for older computers much earlier than Rings of Power.

rrs

The PC version of Road Rash is pretty much the 3DO one, but finding it could be an issue. But for the most part, 3DO actually had games for it vs the Jag's few worthwhile games.

You never heard of Rings of Power on the Sega Genesis? Naughty Dog also made games for older computers much earlier than Rings of Power.
You know what, you're right. My bad. I just recently learned about ND's earlier history doing some reading on the web. I had always though WotW was their first game, and I guess I fell back on my old, incorrect thinking there. Still an interesting piece of software history though - how many shitty digitized fighters popped up in the mid 90s after Mortal Kombat took off? How many of those developers are still around making games like Uncharted and The Last of Us? Kind wild to think about.

Also, OP: if this thread gives you a hankering to play Tempest 2000 and you happen to own a Vita, don't forget about Jeff Minter's upcoming TxK. Not sure there's a release date yet.

Where did you learn to fly? Where did you learn to fly?

Ahh damn it!

w5G2o9M.gif

Ban Puncher

If it had a gun to my head and it had to be between those two? I'd begrudgingly pick the 3DO. The number of good titles on it dwarfs the Jaguar.

But fuck them both. Buy a NeoGeo AES and descend into true madness and poverty.

s_mirage

The PC version of Road Rash is pretty much the 3DO one, but finding it could be an issue.

This is true. It's probably the best version overall as it runs at 640x480 rather than the 320x240 of the other versions. Video quality is worse though IIRC.

meppi

If it had a gun to my head and it had to be between those two? I'd begrudgingly pick the 3DO. The number of good titles on it dwarfs the Jaguar.

hehe. I can get behind that 100%. :)

Celine

Of course you would choose the 3DO, it has the Sailor Moon fighting game ;-)

Yeah, fear of poverty is what kept me from buying a Neo Geo :-\

Why not both?
Same reason as I never began collecting for Neo Geo although I love the platform: money.

Mihos

Gold Member
3DO all the way.... that being said, I am actually looking for a Jaguar. I keep getting outbid at the last minute :(

Mihos

Gold Member

I keep Rings of Power around still because of the 'boobie' code just to settle bar bets. Naughty Dog should sneak that into another game.

Jaguar had great versions of:
- Tempest 2000
- NBA Jam T.E.
- Doom
- Wolfenstein
- Rayman
- Power Drive Rally
- Raiden
- ThemePark
- Worms
- Zool 2
- Alien vs. Predator
- Pitfall
- Pinball fantasies
- Cannon Fodder

also I like Iron Soldier 1, 2 and Defender 2000.

But, the 3DO is also nice. With titles like: Captain Quazar, Fifa, Road Rash, Return Fire and Lucienne's Quest.

fvng

Anyway, i would suggest to get a Jaguar. That's because there isn't a proper emulator for it yet so the only way to enjoy it is to get the physical console. It's also cart based so it should be reliable enough. For 3DO there are a couple of emulators that are nearly perfect so you have that option too. And you won't have to deal with the disc drive.

There is no proper 3DO emulator either, freedo is total SHIT

ZeroXZee

Here's an interesting little fact. There is an early 3D racing game on 3DO (Crash n Burn) that appears to have unlimited drawing distance even though it clearly has real time 3D textured levels. Its crazy considering that this game was released in 1993 and didn't have pop-up (that was a major problem in almost every racing game in the later years on more powerful machines).

Anyway, i would suggest to get a Jaguar. That's because there isn't a proper emulator for it yet so the only way to enjoy it is to get the physical console. It's also cart based so it should be reliable enough. For 3DO there are a couple of emulators that are nearly perfect so you have that option too. And you won't have to deal with the disc drive.

Crash N' Burn actually uses a pre-rendered video for the tracks. The cars were the only thing that were rendered in real-time; all the rest it's FMV! ;D

shandy706

The 3DO had drawn 2D sprites but a rendered intro movie. The 3DO's 3D modeled FMV opening ain't got shit on the horrors of the in game rendered sprites of the Saturn and PS1 games. Ugly, ugly sprites.

Just looked on Youtube. Wow at the difference..LOL. The 3DO game looked 1000x better.

Celine

Crash N' Burn actually uses a pre-rendered video for the tracks. The cars were the only thing that were rendered in real-time; all the rest it's FMV! ;D
Are you really sure?
It looks real-time to me.

Could you decellerate and stop in the race?
If yes then the BG can't be a fmv.

Of course it run well because the cars and the track are all low poly and low detail.

Celine

BTW 3DO was better than Jag for polygonal textured games but Jag seems really capable as a 2D machine.
The other day I stumbled upon the demo "Native" for Jaguar and it is a real looker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C75isKIgfUQ

Too bad it was never finished on the initial platform and moved to Dreamcast rebranded Sturmwind.

Celine

Here's an interesting little fact. There is an early 3D racing game on 3DO (Crash n Burn) that appears to have unlimited drawing distance even though it clearly has real time 3D textured levels. Its crazy considering that this game was released in 1993 and didn't have pop-up (that was a major problem in almost every racing game in the later years on more powerful machines).
Apparently they used some sort of pre-calculated object occlusion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.video.advocacy/Jojzp1BxduQ

Well,
I probably shouldn't say anything but what the heck. The track is being
pulled off the CD. Originally the entire track was in memory but when the
enemies cars were added the frame rate went all the way down to 5fps. The
solution was to write a tool that would, for each view of the track, remove
all the polygons that are not seen. Since you can move left and right and
up and down (cockpit vs 3rd person) nothing is 'pre-calculated'

The entire track is still in memory. The track consists of tons-o-polygons.
Far too many for any machine to display in real-time. On part of displaying
something in 3D is figuring out which parts you can see and which parts you
can't. For example, if you are driving down a race track and you are
looking forward you can't see behind you therefore you don't want to draw
the stuff behind you on the screen. So, you do some math to tell you what
parts of your 3D world you can actually see. This takes alot of time. In
fact it is probably this single biggest problem with anything that works in
3D. All programs deal with this in different ways. Flight Simulator does
it while it's running. It keeps a list of all the things you can see and as
you fly around it adds or removes things. To see it in action, fly in skew
mode and skew really fast and then stop. You will see different 3D parts
pop in one at a time as the program finds new things that are now in your
view.

On CnB we wrote a program that would 'drive' down the track and for each
section of the track it makes a list of all the parts that can actually be
seen. These 'lists of visible parts' are then stored in the CD and as you
drive down the track the 'list' for the part of the track you are currently
on is loaded. This makes it run faster because we don't have to do all the
calculations for which things are visible while you are racing.

Cool.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh yeah, D&D Slayer is fun as fuck, forgot that one. Crash & Burn too.

Reading up on Lucienne's Quest I see it's a followup to Guardian War which makes it automatically awesome.

I don't know about "followup" but they were both developed by Micro Cabin, who also developed Mystaria/Blazing Heroes on Saturn. Their games are what really interests me about picking up a 3D0 eventually.

No. I have very little interest in both of them just because there're very few Japanese titles.

3D0 has a few good Japanese games (SamSho, SSF2T, the aforementioned MicroCabin games, Policenauts), Jaguar has uhhh... Raiden?

Metzhara

3DO has a better selection of games IMO.

With Jaguar you'll have Primal Rage, Tempest 2000, Alien vs Predator, Cybermorph and.... that's about it

For 3DO the worthy games are:

Return Fire
Shockwave 1 & 2
Guardian War
Psychic Detective
Killing Time
Space Hulk
D
The Horde
Gex
Wing Commander 3
Star Control 2

There is a PSX version of that as well that is just as good IMO. But yeah, it's a great game with a great soundtrack.

You sir are CRAZY if you think the PSX version is equal to the 3D0 Version! There are 4 music videos that play on the 3D0 version and as I recall the 3D0 contained more licensed music. Overall, 3D0 is where it was at. You want that full on experience with a game like Road Rash. Man, you have me wanting to play it now. Damn.
I do love both consoles but Jaguars are SUPER easy to come by (I personally have two) but 3D0... yeah. Go for 3D0. Some truly wonderful games on both though. -Adam

Dr. Kaos

Banned
A friend of mine fell for the 64-bit bullshit and bought a Jaguar.

He sold it and bought another SNES within a year. That's how bad the library was.

I saw the 3DO playing Wing Commander 3 and it blew my fucking mind.

Super Street Fighter 2 X came to 3DO first if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom