• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome D.I.C.E 2013 Presentation

http://www.twitch.tv/dice/b/465212354?t=77m

Great presentation detailing some features that will be used in Ryse. Here are some quotes featured in the video from Cevat himself:

Cg production started about two years ago into the space of physical based lighting and shading. We added a pipeline that is 100% physically based lighting and shading in realtime however.
One thing we are really damn proud about is that all characters share the same basic rig modules, or same fidelity whether they are in-game or cinematics.
In some productions, this (Ryse) would actually go over to cg animated movies.
Here are all the slides:
90yBs4T.jpg

AUh2HRc.png

MQM31FA.jpg

I8qvuof.jpg

rkq09Hu.jpg

JJ50iUi.jpg

pKufYcm.jpg

sP2qeB7.jpg

2L9GUTX.jpg

k2YToYe.jpg

nWIxGVo.jpg

fsENNOR.jpg

Y883qro.jpg

iqMPdkd4O07dh.png
This is comparing two shots from the stream vs the E3 scenes. E3 version is sharper because it is direct capture vs horrible stream quality.

ibr2dgbhWoGRSU.gif

ib11ggBsW8mOGS.gif

Shadows seem to have been improved considerably.

Here is a youtube video comparing the old vs new build of the screenshot Cevat tweeted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1RvxnrqHcw

Okq1CW7.png

My favorite part:

ryse1_by_raziel1992-d6odjcy.gif

Edit: Interesting... maybe the game is 1080p now?

ibuunw1GhR0U3x.png

Edit2: False alarm
hsgU48L.png

900bv

Banned
AUh2HRc.png

You can easily tell what they put effort into modelling. That guy on the right looks like he resents being part of this screenshot.

Skin shaders have improved a lot, but the rest looked better before imo.

EDIT: most of the difference is actually in the color grading/different lighting conditions. They updated the lighting for a movie-like look.

Edit 2: what the hell am I saying, it looks much better, lol.

charsace

I wonder how geomcache is as efficient as static meshes? If something's moving it might end up using a draw call. if the mesh is dynamic I don't see how it can be as efficient as a static mesh.

This is definitely the best looking Xbox One game, by a long shot. Mulitplayer looks kinda meh though, visually. I don't think the gameplay looks all that fun, but I still want this game just because of how good it looks. Plus, I really love the game's setting.

ref

So Crytek just tweeted this, https://twitter.com/RealtimeCevat/status/384099695414743040 Don't know if this is old...

"Full HD XP!"

Should I be excited?!?! Hold me Gaf.

I doubt it's 1080p again, just frankly saying the game can play at full 1080p, even if it's 900p upscaled.

That being said, I still can't help really being interested in this title. The visuals look great, and in my opinion, the combat seems fine and honestly really fun. The only thing I'm worried about is the story quality. The setting could potentially host a pretty amazing story, but I'm not getting my hopes up with it being a Crytek game as none of their offerings have yet to please me on a story basis.

hawk2025

So Crytek just tweeted this, https://twitter.com/RealtimeCevat/status/384099695414743040 Don't know if this is old...

"Full HD XP!"

Hope this means 1080p!

There's no other way to interpret that, though -- Full HD is synonymous to 1080p these days. Who is this guy, again? Is he high up enough that we should trust him 100%?

I don't want to be disappointed again :(

EDIT: Oh, he's the CEO of Crytek! Ok, good! Very happy :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
At first I was like woah downgrade

But then I realized it was the set conditions lol

Now Marius doesn't look like he always has a spotlight on him

"Full HD XP!"

This sounds like the game is actually 1080p? The 900P statement did come from Aaron Greenberg, but if you have a choice between Greenberg, and the game's director, you probably go with the director.

More clarification would be good.

Hope this means 1080p!

There's no other way to interpret that, though -- Full HD is synonymous to 1080p these days. Who is this guy, again? Is he high up enough that we should trust him 100%?

I don't want to be disappointed again :(

Possibly the top guy at Crytek, and the director of Ryse. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Full HD really is synonymous with 1080p.

hawk2025

This sounds like the game is actually 1080p? The 900P statement did come from Aaron Greenberg, but if you have a choice between Greenberg, and the game's director, you probably go with the director.

More clarification would be good.

Possibly the top guy at Crytek, and the director of Ryse. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Full HD really is synonymous with 1080p.

Yeah, I just edited above. His twitter says he's the CEO of Crytek, so this is as good as it gets to confirmation, IMO. Whoo!

...of course, if it turns out to be false, it's also the most mischievous piece of misleading information I've ever seen, but I'd personally trust him over Greenberg!

Thread title edit? This is pretty big news.

Yeah, I just edited above. His twitter says he's the CEO of Crytek, so this is as good as it gets to confirmation, IMO. Whoo!

...of course, if it turns out to be false, it's also the most mischievous piece of misleading information I've ever seen, but I'd personally trust him over Greenberg!

Thread title edit? This is pretty big news.

I would wait for 100% confirmation. it could be 900p upscaled to 1080p but if its 1080p native then that's awesome. I guess you could assume since he says no downgrades from E3 its 1080p native but I don't want to get hopes up too much.

LTWheels

One thing that bugs me as graphical fidelity gets better and better is seeing 'perfect teeth'. It looks out of place and fake. Too straight and too white.

hawk2025

I would wait for 100% confirmation. it could be 900p upscaled to 1080p but if its 1080p native then that's awesome. I guess you could assume since he says no downgrades from E3 its 1080p native but I don't want to get hopes up too much.

Yeah, you are right -- he has chosen some pretty damn precise words, though. 900p is most definitely not the common usage of Full HD and I'm sure he knows that!

This is either confirmation or this guy is reaching Snake Oil salesman levels of deception here :p

Mr Yerli gets a bad reputation for omitting pieces of information, or stating things that are very much his opinion and then others take them as a fact. But so far I don't believe he had ever said something he didn't thought was true. That said, I wouldn't take his tweet as a confirmation of 1080p if he didn't state it directly.

I'm gonna hold my balls on this one, I like the way it looks with what they have shown in the OP here so it's no skin off my teeth if it's not FULL 1080p HD.

hawk2025

Mr Yerli gets a bad reputation for omitting pieces of information, or stating things that are very much his opinion and then others take them as a fact. But so far I don't believe he had ever said something he didn't thought was true. That said, I wouldn't take his tweet as a confirmation of 1080p if he didn't state it directly.

He did state it directly, though.

Damn, you guys are bringing me down :(

I know we are all on the defensive here, but how can Full HD from the friggin' president of Crytek possibly mean anything else, unless he's purposefully misleading us?

Looking at those GIFs, I actually don't know which one I prefer. They both look damn amazing.

Yea, it would probably be wrong to be looking for any particular upgrade or downgrade. Probably just changes to preferred art direction. Looks awesome either way.

Top Bottom