• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega Drive turned 25. That rhymed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Probably the best system of all time for the side-scrolling action game. Really just an incredible selection, and there are a ton of great games that very few people have even heard of. This is a birthday I can celebrate (and one that makes me feel insanely old.)

Shaneus

The Japanese one looks boss. Is there anywhere I could find a compatibility/voltage thing if I wanted to import one into Australia?

I think I want one.

Rich!

I have a chance to get a JP model Mega Drive with region free and a 50/60hz switch for £20.

Should I?

The Japanese one looks boss. Is there anywhere I could find a compatibility/voltage thing if I wanted to import one into Australia?

I think I want one.

You don't need to. Just buy a universal power adapter like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004YBLD1G/

If you have a SNES, whether it's Japanese, USA or PAL, you just plug it into the 12v fitting on that adapter. Same case for the Mega Drive, on 9v as far as I remember.

edit:

fuck it. I bought one. £20, free shipping. 50/60hz modded, and region free. This is the ebay image - does it look alright?

jbpK0fFkj64TZ0.JPG

Rich!

If it's "region free," it should have 2 switches: one for language (Japanese/Other) and one for frequency (60hz/50hz).

Really? Aw shit, looks like this only has the one for 50/60hz. I didn't realise there was a language setting for the console, I assumed it was just like the SNES. The description simply said:

50/60hz and will fit all region games, also has a "HD audio" motherboard inside for best audio quality.

If the language setting isn't set to a switch, I might have to do it myself

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Really? Aw shit, looks like this only has the one for 50/60hz. I didn't realise there was a language setting for the console, I assumed it was just like the SNES. The description simply said:

If the language setting isn't set to a switch, I might have to do it myself
The region of the console is determined by a combination of those two specific settings.

JPN Mega Drive = JPN/60Hz
USA Genesis = ENG/60Hz
PAL Mega Drive = ENG/50Hz

If you don't have a way to flip one or both of those settings on command, then you won't be able to load every game. Region lock is game-dependent, though.

Some games also load different versions dependent on the region that the console is set to. For example, the Japanese version of Gunstar Heroes also has the international release on the cartridge, but it's only compatible on Japanese and PAL systems. You can get it to properly load on an American console, though, by starting the machine in ENG/50Hz and switching it over to ENG/60Hz after it finishes booting up.

Rich!

The region of the console is determined a combination of those two specific settings.

JPN Mega Drive = JPN/60Hz
USA Genesis = ENG/60Hz
PAL Mega Drive = ENG/50Hz

If you don't have a way to flip one or both of those settings on command, then you won't be able to load every game.

Some games also load different versions dependent on the region that the console is set to. For example, the Japanese version of Gunstar Heroes also has the international release on the cartridge, but it's only compatible on Japanese and PAL systems. You can get it to properly load on an American console, though, by starting the machine in ENG/50Hz and switching it over to ENG/60Hz after it finishes booting up.

So if I add another switch, I'll be fine? I'm going by this guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Seg...dification/step3/Locating-the-proper-jumpers/

I remember my brothers getting it for christmas when I was real young and they couldn't play sonic because it was too fast moving. Then, I would come back from school and my mom would be sitting there playing Tetris every damn day. haha

I started playing it and immediately became addicted

Sonic Series
Toy Story (Many frustrated play sessions)
The Lion King (Still can't beat it )
Aladdin
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Scooby Doo (Not sure if anyone else enjoyed it, but I probably played through both the mysteries fifteen times)
Jurassic Park (How the fuck do you beat the raptors...)
TMNT, the fighting game, and the one where you ride hoverboards to some big ship
Streets of Rage 1 and 3
Golden Axe
X-Men 2: Clone Wars ( I loved this game)
Adventures of Batman and Robin

Hot damn, that makes me miss my childhood.

Skyzard

Banned
What can I say, you served me well, still do and I appreciate the training you gave me in order to appreciate the DC as one should.

Sixfortyfive

danielcw

Sonic 3K GOAT

Dat first post :)
IMHO
maybe superseded by Sonic 3 Complete

Really? Aw shit, looks like this only has the one for 50/60hz. I didn't realise there was a language setting for the console, I assumed it was just like the SNES.

EDIT: As pointed out below, I was probably wrong about this, sorry.
old post quoted for truth

Early models didn't have the hardware for the region lock out, so all games should be playable on them (and for example the Sega copyright message wasn't there yet).
If it is an early MD, you might be in luck

Sixfortyfive

Early models didn't have the hardware for the region lock out, so all games should be playable on them (and for example the Sega copyright message wasn't there yet).
If it is an early MD, you might be in luck
Region lock is game-dependent, not console-dependent.

Rich!

Yeah. Read up on it, and it seems most carts had BOTH regional variations on the same ROM. Fucking crazy, but makes sense from a manufacturing point of view.

Ah well. I've already got a few carts and a power adapter, and I've found a controller upstairs. Ordered an RGB cable from ebay, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Happy Birthday MD!!!

I just love my JPN MegaDrive, the crimson red and massive '16-BIT' logo!!

izeINibjeECZG.JPG

My word, it's beautiful.

I almost lolled at work due to PHONES VOL slider...

Happy birthday, champ :') I will play some SoR2 in recognition.

OmegaDL50

Let's go into the Genesis / Mega Drive line of accessories.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Mega / Sega CD for CD-Rom based games with Red Book Audio and Full Motion Video
51rSbWEJUFL._SX300_.jpg

And the 32x which allowed for 32,678 colors (Over the Mega Drive' max of 512), and capability to render 50,000 polygons per second which is showcased it's earliest examples of 3D in the bonus stages of Knuckles Chaotix
knuckles-chaotix-20080326112554798.jpg

Oddly enough not many people know this, Genesis had an another accessory called the Power Base Convertor which came out before even the Sega CD and 32X Add-ons.

The initial version worked on the Model-1 units.

It plugged directly on top of the system like so much like the 32X did and what was so great about this thing was this -
genesis_acc1.jpg

If you don't recognize the cart plugged into the Power Base Convertor. That is a Master System Cartridge.

Yes, the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive was one the earliest examples of a console having full backwards compatibility with it's previous console. (Well factoring an accessory was required to achieve this, even thought unofficial adapters such as the RetroPORT did also exist years later)

A second model was available for the 2nd Revision of the Genesis / Mega Drive, which was similar to a Sonic and Knuckles Cartridge. One note is it loses the Master System Card support and only supports Master System Cartridges.
master%20conv%202%201.jpg

The Power Base Convertor was quite uncommon in the US, and the Master System Converter II was even rarer as it was only available in the European and Australian markets. (This probably due to the fact that the Master System was more successful in these regions then anywhere else)

I have always been confused why it was called the genesis in America.

"Guys we need to name our second system, so I was thinking Genesis!"
The Master System had done so poorly in the US that Sega was naming their next system to imply that they were making a fresh start, I think... which they were: the SMS had been initially distributed by Tonka, the Genesis was Sega of America's first entirely in-house effort. But really, when your last system finishes in third place (out of three!), beaten not only by the utterly dominant NES but even, in the US, by the Atari 7800, would you particularly WANT to remember it afterwards?

Also, they needed a new name since some there was some rights issue with "Mega Drive". That was fortunate, since "Genesis" is a better and more modern-sounding name than the clunky and dated "Mega Drive"...

I thought it needs both. Only a few games had region lockout, in software, but this did not work on early MDs. (Or maybe I am confusing it with the copyright notice?)
You are indeed confusing the copyright notice with the region lock. The two are entirely unrelated.

Rich!

Turns out all I need to do is hook up a single wire to the language point (along with 5v and ground from next to it) and wire it up to a double throw switch.

jZka0jhEofCNK.jpg

Essentially the modded console I bought on ebay has the 50/60hz connected to a switch (white cable), but nothing else. Ah well. easy mod. I'll shove the other switch at the back.

danielcw

You are indeed confusing the copyright notice with the region lock. The two are entirely unrelated.

Yeah, already edited my initial post on that matter, so no wrong information spreads.

Plus googling the issue resulted in me reading up on some tech specs, like how the 6 button controller worked (could be considered a hack), memory layout, etc. good stuff :)

I also didn't know, that two of the catridge-connection-pins were for streaming audio, nice.

Shaneus

Oh god, why did I even bother looking up consoles? This popped up as a *local* sale (keep in mind, I'm in Australia)"
kE6YFJ6.jpg

It doesn't look to be in fantastic nick and obviously it's coming with SMS controllers(?!?) but it's $80 plus shipping. Can't say I'm not tempted, even though I'm probably barely going to use it (although having said that, if I set it up and was able to get a decent picture to my plasma, I may well keep it set up permanently).

OmegaDL50

Hey, while we're at it, let's not forget the mod to end all mods:
Overclock your MD1
(I haven't verified that site specifically, but I've seen it in a YT video)

I'm just curious what the practical benefit of this would be?

Reduced slowdowns or more potential sprites being able to load on screen from memory for example?

The geek in me finds this kind of thing fascinating.

The Genesis/MD isn't even Sega's "second" home console, either.
You're right, it's their third. It's easy to forget about the SG-1000... but it exists, yes. Of course it failed badly everywhere, but it WAS released.

Yeah, already edited my initial post on that matter, so no wrong information spreads.

Plus googling the issue resulted in me reading up on some tech specs, like how the 6 button controller worked (could be considered a hack), memory layout, etc. good stuff :)

I also didn't know, that two of the catridge-connection-pins were for streaming audio, nice.
Good, it's easy to make that mistake but it is incorrect.

Why did EA games have taller cartridges with the yellow thing on (in Europe at least)?
Because they stand out more that way. And yes, most US EA carts are like that too.

Also, those EA and Accolade carts (Accolade carts are also taller but narrower, same shape as EA carts but without the yellow tab and differently styled) work in Japanese systems without any modification, since they are narrower than usual cart so they will fit in any Genesis or Mega Drive cartridge port no problem (the narrower size avoids the different side cuts and the cartridge lock of the first model Japanese Megadrive). I don't know if Japanese system compatibility was one reason why they made the carts look like that, but it seems probable given that it is the definite result.

But the yellow tab? That's just to make EA carts look different and stand out.

Shaneus

I'm just curious what the practical benefit of this would be?

Reduced slowdowns or more potential sprites being able to load on screen from memory for example?

The geek in me finds this kind of thing fascinating.
Reduce slowdowns I think is the main thing. I can't be arsed looking for the video, but the obvious example used on YT was the slowdown when playing 2P in Sonic 2 and one loses their rings... but I'm sure there would be others. Not in all games (and obviously it would completely break some titles) but maybe others would see more obvious benefits. From memory, I think both Skitchin' and Road Rash 3 both suffered from slowdown?

OmegaDL50

Why did EA games have taller cartridges with the yellow thing on (in Europe at least)?

From various sources online apparently EA at one point did not have licensing rights to produce games on the Mega Drive so they basically reverse engineer the hardware and made their own carts for the system.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...-genesismega-drive-have-a-different-cartridge

I would probably would take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure copyright violations would be involved if where any truth of these claims.

Rich!

From various sources online apparently EA at one point did not have licensing rights to produce games on the Mega Drive so they basically reverse engineer the hardware and made their own carts for the system.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...-genesismega-drive-have-a-different-cartridge

I would probably would take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure copyright violations would be involved if where any truth of these claims.

Don't take it with a grain of salt. It's 100% true. EA were unwilling to partner with Nintendo due to their iron fist on publishing rights. When they approached SEGA, they got exactly the same approach Nintendo gave.

In response, EA went to SEGA and said "We do not agree with your terms. If you don't change them, we will manufacture and publish our games ourselves"

SEGA still refused to budge on their royalties and publishing rules, but knew they couldnt risk losing EA. If they set the rules differently for EA, it would fuck up deals with all other devs. So they let EA go ahead.

Dan1984uk

Banned
Like many others this was my first and favourite console.

So many great games, my first games being Sonic & Altered Beast, it was a great Christmas.

No, that happened. EA reverse engineered the Genesis, then went to Sega, told Sega (of America) that either they give EA a good licensing deal (on EA's terms) or EA would publish unlicensed games for the system. Sega caved. However, early EA titles do use methods to run which don't work on TMSS (with the "licensed by Sega" screen) Genesises, because Sega cracked down on that particular way of getting around the lock after the EA thing...

As for Accolade, they reverse-engineered it on their own and initially published without a license. Sega sued them, and initially won, but then Accolade won on appeal. After that apparently they settled before the case continued, with an agreement for Accolade to publish a bunch of games on Sega's platform, which they did -- look at how many more games Accolade published on Genesis than SNES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_v._Accolade

OmegaDL50

It's interesting how the game gets progressively worse and worse at 16.7Mhz.

I mean first the game was fine outside the near lack of audio that is, then the graphical pop in and random sprites just start. By the end of the stage it's like the system can't keep anything straight.

Yes, definitely sounds like the CPU being completely overworked and just couldn't handle it so the game completely bugged out.

No, that happened. EA reverse engineered the Genesis, then went to Sega, told Sega (of America) that either they give EA a good licensing deal (on EA's terms) or EA would publish unlicensed games for the system. Sega caved. However, early EA titles do use methods to run which don't work on TMSS (with the "licensed by Sega" screen) Genesises, because Sega cracked down on that particular way of getting around the lock after the EA thing...

As for Accolade, they reverse-engineered it on their own and initially published without a license. Sega sued them, and initially won, but then Accolade won on appeal. After that apparently they settled before the case continued, with an agreement for Accolade to publish a bunch of games on Sega's platform, which they did -- look at how many more games Accolade published on Genesis than SNES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_v._Accolade

Why didn't EA and Accolade do this with Nintendo too?

Sixfortyfive

It's interesting how the game gets progressively worse and worse at 16.7Mhz.
Top comment:
"Went from dubstep to horror movie in ten seconds flat"

IIRC, EA felt that Sega was less willing to challenge them than Nintendo, as Sega had more to gain by letting EA more or less do what they want.

So many awesome gaming memories had on the system. My first game was Mortal Kombat, but i gradually had a lot of games within a few years.

Both did publish some games on the SNES too, though both released more Genesis games than SNES... but yeah, they didn't try to publish unlicenesed on the SNES. I think the SNES was harder to crack, for one thing... the only unlicensed SNES game released during its lifetime was Super Noah's Ark 3D, which uses a passthrough system (so you had to plug a legit cart into the top of it for it to work). Maybe they couldn't figure out how to break SNES copy protection? Either that or they were more scared of Nintendo's legal department than Sega's. Nintendo had a history of suing people after all.

On that note, of course, Nintendo did sue Tengen (aka Atari Games) over Tengen's reverse-engineering of the NES for copy protection avoidance purposes...

IIRC, EA felt that Sega was less willing to challenge them than Nintendo, as Sega had more to gain by letting EA more or less do what they want.
Good point. For sure, Sega, as the upstart, had a lot more to gain by allowing this stuff. Already-powerful Nintendo would have had little reason to bend. And indeed, EA's Genesis support particularly ended up being an extremely important point in its success...

Both did publish some games on the SNES too, though both released more Genesis games than SNES... but yeah, they didn't try to publish unlicenesed on the SNES. I think the SNES was harder to crack, for one thing... the only unlicensed SNES game released during its lifetime was Super Noah's Ark 3D, which uses a passthrough system (so you had to plug a legit cart into the top of it for it to work). Maybe they couldn't figure out how to break SNES copy protection? Either that or they were more scared of Nintendo's legal department than Sega's. Nintendo had a history of suing people after all.

On that note, of course, Nintendo did sue Tengen (aka Atari Games) over Tengen's reverse-engineering of the NES for copy protection avoidance purposes...

Good point. For sure, Sega, as the upstart, had a lot more to gain by allowing this stuff. Already-powerful Nintendo would have had little reason to bend. And indeed, EA's Genesis support particularly ended up being an extremely important point in its success...
Interesting! I love getting gaming history like this on NeoGaf!

Piccoro

*Awesome Game List*

Great list, anyone that plays MD for the first time should start with those games. I would just add one more game to your list:

Mazin Saga/Wars is an underrated game. Very difficult but rewarding, one of the best beat em'up's for the MD:

Mazin_Saga_Mutant_Fighter_1990_Japanese_Cover_Art.jpg

Oh god, why did I even bother looking up consoles? This popped up as a *local* sale (keep in mind, I'm in Australia)"
kE6YFJ6.jpg

It doesn't look to be in fantastic nick and obviously it's coming with SMS controllers(?!?) but it's $80 plus shipping. Can't say I'm not tempted, even though I'm probably barely going to use it (although having said that, if I set it up and was able to get a decent picture to my plasma, I may well keep it set up permanently).

You seem to be getting a bit of SMS equipment with that Mega Drive. The controllers will work, but they will be useless in games requiring more buttons. The computer/tv switch adapter is also from an SMS and the quality is terrible and can easily be broke (the welding inside is shoddy). I would recommend purchasing a direct cable without a switch box in-between on ebay. They don't cost much. You may need to buy a Mega Drive controller too.

Top Bottom