• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

Sotha_Sil

I don't think Microsoft is concerned about the very few people who will be buying LAUNCH Xbox Ones without internet access. And they honestly shouldn't be, if they're still in catch-up mode as we seem to think.

Skilletor

To be fair I won't be doing shit on my PS4 until it's updated. I am not going to take the chance something doesn't go right because I'm playing Killzone and the update is running in the background.

Cool, but that's on you.

I play games while downloading stuff in the background all the time on my Vita. #feelsgoodman

Caayn

Could I ask..

What is everyone's home internet speed here?
60/6Mbit
I can't foresee a single thing that could go wrong with having
every user downloading the same thing all at once.
This is Microsoft were talking about. They're able to push entire service packs without a hitch to millions of users at the same time. Heck they update millions of computers every week, on tuesday.

Local multi is kinda out this gen. Take a look at the back of most new games.
While it's true many games have not given a local multiplayer option, to say there isnt any multi without a patch is factually wrong. Call of Duty has local multiplayer. Knack has local co-op. Then there's fighting games like Injustice. Even in the Xbox one front, they have Killer Instinct.

As long as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo want to sell extra controllers, local multiplayer isnt going to go anywhere.

kyser73

60/6Mbit
This is Microsoft were talking about. They're able to push entire service packs without a hitch to millions of users at the same time. Heck they update millions of computers every week, on tuesday.

Everyone seems to have either forgotten or be unaware of this, and how big it is!

todd360

What is wrong with him saying that? If you can't get access to the internet how are you able to afford a new console?

Oh I don't know maybe a little kid has been saving money for years in preparation of this day. Maybe that kids parents don't buy Internet because poor or old fashioned. Poor kid is screwed.

The Wii U was shit at launch because of:

WiFi issues - took many users a long time to set up as it was broken
On-screen notifications - Telling you it had downloaded, how much, time outs etc. Crap
Download speed - Awful speeds meant it took forever

The same won't be the case with the Xbox One. MS are a software company and they'll be working hard to ensure this is a smooth process. I am actually more concerned that PSN will fall spart when I am downloading the 300mb update :D

Assuming the file size is somewhere around 1.5gb, here are the estimated download times per connection speed:

Times are in HH:MM:SS

Code:
1.024 Mbps			03:15:18
1.544 Mbps 			02:09:32
2.048 Mbps 			01:37:39
10 Mbps				00:20:00
25.6 Mbps 			00:07:48
34 Mbps				00:05:52
45 Mbps				00:04:26
51 Mbps				00:03:55
100 Mbps			00:02:00

This is all assuming that A. MS's servers are able to deliver that kind of throughput on day 1, and B. that said servers can actually bear the load of 7M+ consoles all trying to update same day and don't crap out entirely for who knows how long. Oh man, if this launch is anything near like the SimCity one the fallout will be biblical.

The same won't be the case with the SimCity/Diablo 3. EA/Blizzard are a software company and they'll be working hard to ensure this is a smooth process.

Dosia

Oh I don't know maybe a little kid has been saving money for years in preparation of this day. Maybe that kids parents don't buy Internet because poor or old fashioned. Poor kid is screwed.

Poor kid has to wait a couple months then to get a console with updated firmware. Boo hoo

Clockwork5

This is all assuming that A. MS's servers are able to deliver that kind of throughput on day 1, and B. that said servers can actually bear the load of 7M+ consoles all trying to update same day and don't crap out entirely for who knows how long. Oh man, if this launch is anything near like the SimCity one the fallout will be biblical.

This is a firmware patch... Nothing like SIM city...

how economically feasible is it to have 1 million people downloading 1gb+ off your servers at the same time?

How about they let stores download the update and burn their own copies? Each store would only need a couple dozen copies.

They already have the servers for this. They do it every Tuesday for Windows. For them it is essentially free. If anyone can push updates out it is MS.

Stores could do that if they want but they have no interest in that expense. Why would GS want to go out of pocket for this?

todd360

Poor kid has to wait a couple months then to get a console with updated firmware. Boo hoo

No he buys day one because he doesn't know better in my story. Then he is pissed off and Microsoft lost a customer to Sony.

Or lol he buys a 360

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'd be surprised if the update servers didn't hold up, after all I'm sure MS served a lot more people (probably even if you measure it in MB) on the last dashboard update day then they will day 1 of Xbox One.

I'm sure other stuff will break though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What is wrong with him saying that? If you can't get access to the internet how are you able to afford a new console?
Maybe because people have been able to afford consoles for at least the last 30-40 years without having to connect to the internet, download a 1+ GB patch and install, all before they can even play a single game.

If we're not calling the XBO a game console anymore, I guess that's OK.

cripterion

Yeah seriously they should put this live update on the web. Not everyone has a blazing fast Internet connection and I fear for the servers stability at launch. Not counting the amount of calls support would be getting from people who are not informed about this and just think they can insert the game and play right away.

Tagg9

I'd be surprised if the update servers didn't hold up, after all I'm sure MS served a lot more people (probably even if you measure it in MB) on the last dashboard update day then they will day 1 of Xbox One.

I'm sure other stuff will break though.

Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft is using Azure to serve load-balancing/automatically scaling cloud servers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Clockwork5

Yeah seriously they should put this live update on the web. Not everyone has a blazing fast Internet connection and I fear for the servers stability at launch. Not counting the amount of calls support would be getting from people who are not informed about this and just think they can insert the game and play right away.

I agree with this. Heck let Cnet host a download url. I'm sure they would love the traffic.

Top Bottom