• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swiss online retailer seemingly confirms further Xbox One delay in tier 2 countries

chadskin

Remember the Gamereactor report? That the Xbox One could be pushed back to Q3 2014 in tier 2 countries like Russia, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark? Turns out they may have been onto something.

The big Swiss online retailer WOG notes on the Xbox One product page now:

Wichtig: Gemäss Microsoft wurde der Ausliefertermin der Xbox One in verschiedenen Ländern (u.a. der Schweiz) aufgrund von Anpassungen des XBL Marktplatzes auf unbestimmte Zeit verschoben. Aufgrund verschiedener Gespräche rechnen wir damit, dass die Auslieferung hierzulande wahrscheinlich nicht vor Ostern erfolgen wird. Eine noch längere Wartezeit ist ebenfalls nicht auszuschliessen...

Important: According to Microsoft, the delivery date of the Xbox One to several countries (e.g. Switzerland) has been delayed for an undetermined time for adjustments to the XBL market place. Due to several conversations we expect that a delivery in this country is not going to happen any time before Easter. An even longer waiting time is not entirely unlikely.

Thanks for the proper translation, Red Arremer

TL;DR: XB1 has been pushed back indefinitely in (a number of/all?) tier 2 countries like Switzerland. Online retailer WOG expects deliveries of XB1 units after Easter the earliest and doesn't rule out an even longer delay.

gtj1092

Got to beat Ps4 in NA even if all else fails. Not to say one country is more important than another but for the xbox brand America is the most important market. Short term good move for MS. Sony launched the ps3 14 months late in Europe. Xone should be ok if the wait is less than a year and they have a better price by then.

Amir0x

Banned
Which is quite silly of them, not only for this gen but next-gen as well.

Honestly, not really. They really don't have a chance in most of the rest of the world. Trying to shore up their only strong territory left is really the best (and likely only) option. There's no way they're going to beat PS4 in the UK this gen, zero percent chance. So the USA is their only shot left at not being completely irrelevant this upcoming gen. And considering North America remains the strongest territory for console sales, it's a good final line of defense against falling so far behind that you can't respond. Although I believe the PS4 will beat XBO in the USA overall as well.

Yield issues confirmed.

But seriously, why? Who at MS actually thinks that giving Sony a one year head start with a price advantage is a realistic option in their strongest territory? Better to have a token presence in the spring then no presence at all through the release of Titanfall and potentially Halo/Destiny.

Honestly, not really. They really don't have a chance in most of the rest of the world. Trying to shore up their only strong territory left is really the best (and likely only) option. There's no way they're going to beat PS4 in the UK this gen, zero percent chance. So the USA is their only shot left at not being completely irrelevant this upcoming gen. And considering North America remains the strongest territory for console sales, it's a good final line of defense against falling so far behind that you can't respond. Although I believe the PS4 will beat XBO in the USA overall as well.

Don't you think that's a wee bit early to call?

Not even remotely. UK is far more price sensitive than many other territories. They gave that ghost up the second they gave up a $100 difference in price.

And yet the One still had the second best home console launch ever (in the UK), trailing only the PS4.

EVIL

March 2014 was already a long time without a compeditor to the PlayStation in tier2 markets. Pushing it to Q3 2014 will be giving Sony a headstart by almost a year. I don't see Microsoft recovering from this any time soon.

March 2014 was already a long time without a compeditor to the PlayStation in tier2 markets. Pushing it to Q3 2014 will be giving Sony a headstart by almost a year. I don't see Microsoft recovering from this any time soon.

i don't think Microsoft thinks "tier 2" countries are important enough

Majine

Banned
Between PS4 being completely sold out until like February, and no XB1 for awhile: This sucks.

Make more consoles, damnit.

Not even remotely. UK is far more price sensitive than many other territories. They gave that ghost up the second they gave up a $100 difference in price.
Right, but that price disparity might not last the whole gen. What if in a couple years it is as cheap or cheaper? I agree the PS4 looks a lot better now but look at how Sony turned around the PS3. Just my opinion.

BigDug13

And yet the One still had the second best home console launch ever (in the UK), trailing only the PS4.

Every new console generation is going to smash records because manufacturing will get easier and easier and preordering online will get easier and easier. It's not saying much when they say these consoles broke records when you consider last generation they didn't have companies like Foxconn capable of pumping out a million iphones a day or whatever or people preordering on Amazon in the millions.

These "it broke records" articles don't really tell us anything at all except hardcore gamers and early adopters wanted to buy and this time there was more stock available.

If there's one thing Microsoft should have learned from the DRM fiasco is that remaining silent is the wrong choice. They need to address this before the weekend in my opinion.

Even if they're not sure they can't just leave people in the dark.

gtj1092

Yeah but look at the following weeks its seems to have fallen off more than the Ps4. Plus its not like the Ps3 didn't have the biggest home console launch before that in the UK and it still fell into a ditch in sales until they got the price down.

seanoff

Short term good move for MS. Sony launched the ps3 14 months late in Europe. Xone should be ok if the wait is less than a year and they have a better price by then.

They are going to get annihilated in everywhere except the usa. This will only make the problem worse in europe, asia etc not better. They are not getting this back in those territories. Sony only got it back because they had lots of goodwill from the ps2 era and they just kept putting out very decent 1st and 2nd party exclusive games. The ps3 beat the 360 pretty comfortably in these markets, the bone is more expensive, less powerful and probably without the raft of games. No hope of competing now

Right, but that price disparity might not last the whole gen. What if in a couple years it is as cheap or cheaper? I agree the PS4 looks a lot better now but look at how Sony turned around the PS3. Just my opinion.

Indeed. And the PS3 came back from a MUCH higher price differential--one that they couldn't easily fix the way MS could with the Xone, if they need to. I think the system is doing more than well enough to leave the Kinect bundled in, though.

Tsundere

Banned

During the launch period, all the early adopters aren't representative of how the sales trends will go from month 6 and on.

The hardcore fans who were going to buy the consoles anyway, did. Launch sales are very front loaded, it's the trend that is set the following months that is important to see.

Amir0x

Banned

Trailing the PS4, you say. Seems so far then I am right.

The XBO is not going to surpass the PS4 in the UK. Quote this now, bring it back up at the end of the generation. You're welcome in advance ;)

That won't happen. Not only was PS4 specifically made with rapid price dropping in mind - Cerny said that was one of the lessons they learned from PS3 and it puts them in a good position to respond to anything strategically - but Kinect prohibits such an option at least early on. As we all know now, the rumblings inside Microsoft is that they want to see the Xbox division profit hard. They could drop Kinect and maybe match the PS4's price at best, but if they keep Kinect they can't quickly drop the price without also cutting into their profits. But in either scenario do you think Sony is not going to respond?

Trailing the PS4, you say. Seems so far then I am right.

The XBO is not going to surpass the PS4 in the UK. Quote this now, bring it back up at the end of the generation. You're welcome in advance ;)

That won't happen. Not only was PS4 specifically made with rapid price dropping in mind - Cerny said that was one of the lessons they learned from PS3 and it puts them in a good position to respond to anything strategically - but Kinect prohibits such an option at least early on. As we all know now, the rumblings inside Microsoft is that they want to see the Xbox division profit hard. They could drop Kinect and maybe match the PS4's price at best, but if they keep Kinect they can't quickly drop the price without also cutting into their profits. But in either scenario do you think Sony is not going to respond?
I don't think it is an open and shut case. Suppose they drop Kinect and people go buck wild for their stable of exclusives. If it were to happen it obviously wouldn't be soon, but it took the PS3 two years to show up to the fight. I don't see what's so damming about their position that all hope is lost.

StoopKid

Got to beat Ps4 in NA even if all else fails. Not to say one country is more important than another but for the xbox brand America is the most important market. Short term good move for MS. Sony launched the ps3 14 months late in Europe. Xone should be ok if the wait is less than a year and they have a better price by then.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think it is an open and shut case. Suppose they drop Kinect and people go buck wild for their stable of exclusives. If it were to happen it obviously wouldn't be soon, but it took the PS3 two years to show up to the fight. I don't see what's so damming about their position that all hope is lost.

For what, Titanfall and Halo? Quantum Break? We shall see if there is some mystical miracle game, but I am pretty confident at the moment.

PS3 is also a failed comparison. The only reason PS3 managed to stay anywhere close to 360 (and pass it barely) was because of the sales it netted from all the territories where Microsoft sells essentially jack and shit. That trend is only going to be amplified this gen, as Microsoft's proposition is even less attractive from most of those places. It got destroyed in the USA and the 360 beat it by a much less impressive margin in the UK, owing primarily to the release gap and price difference. PS3 made up the difference elsewhere, which the Xbox One has no chance of doing. But this time around, PS4 launched ahead of Xbox in North America and had the greatest single day launch sales of all time in the territory. They're clearly going to be much closer to XBO than they were to 360 this gen (whether it's slightly more or slightly less is yet to be seen), I don't know how anyone could deny that.

So where exactly can the XBO make up this lost ground?

Edit: To bring this conversation around, that's why it's smart for them to focus on North American and UK sales. Those were their two strongest territories last gen, they'll remain their two strongest territories this gen. It makes sense to focus on trying to stock those channels with systems to try to get a sort of firewall against what's to come. The delay makes strategic sense.

For what, Titanfall and Halo? Quantum Break? We shall see if there is some mystical miracle game, but I am pretty confident at the moment.

PS3 is also a failed comparison. The only reason PS3 managed to stay anywhere close to 360 (and pass it barely) was because of the sales it netted from all the territories where Microsoft sells essentially jack and shit. That trend is only going to be amplified this gen, as Microsoft's proposition is even less attractive from most of those places. It got destroyed in the USA and the 360 beat it by a much less impressive margin in the UK, owing primarily to the release gap and price difference. PS3 made up the difference elsewhere, which the Xbox One has no chance of doing. But this time around, PS4 launched ahead of Xbox in North America and had the greatest single day launch sales of all time in the territory. They're clearly going to be much closer to XBO than they were to 360 this gen (whether it's slightly more or slightly less is yet to be seen), I don't know how anyone could deny that.

So where exactly can the XBO make up this lost ground?

Edit: To bring this conversation around, that's why it's smart for them to focus on North American and UK sales. Those were their two strongest territories last gen, they'll remain their two strongest territories this gen. It makes sense to focus on trying to stock those channels with systems to try to get a sort of firewall against what's to come. The delay makes strategic sense.
I mentioned a couple years out because I don't know what the software lineup will be. At least in the US and UK, I can imagine the XBO having a pretty good chance if they can close the gap on price and put out some great exclusives. You may be confident that everything's settled but it seems silly to me since we are less than a month into this gen.

BigDug13

I mentioned a couple years out because I don't know what the software lineup will be. At least in the US and UK, I can imagine the XBO having a pretty good chance if they can close the gap on price and put out some great exclusives. You may be confident that everything's settled but it seems silly to me since we are less than a month into this gen.

I just don't see how they "close the gap" on price. DDR3 and ESRAM is going to maintain its cost more than GDDR5. The only thing they could do is drop the $75 Kinect to come close to parity, then you're still left with a weaker system for $25 more. They could eat further and drop $100, losing more money per console sold to reach price parity with the more expensive PS4 who will still be more capable of price drops due to their system design and components.

I'm actually pretty confident that MS will drop Kinect as a mandatory pack-in before next fall. Especially if they are being consistently outsold in the US and UK. All it will take is a few UI tweaks and/or allowing the voice commands to go through a headset.

Amir0x

Banned

Again, it's just you're looking at it from one strategy.

Yes, Microsoft can drop the price. But conveniently this ignores that Sony has an even easier ability to respond. They can simply drop the price in response. Since Xbox One is already more expensive than PS4, they have to drop the price further to be at a strategic advantage over Sony for pricecutting, and there's really no way that's going to happen. I'd like to hear an argument as to how that could happen, though.

So, if price is nullified, it's about the games. There are few enough genuine system sellers that exist to actually change the entire game, most of the important things these days tend to be multiplatform. But if they do get an exclusive that attracts, it's still going to have to overcome whatever massive lead Sony had gained by that point by performing vastly better in most territories worldwide up until that point, as well as the lost ground Microsoft ceded in USA and UK (whether they win in those territories or not is irrelevant to this point, so I won't even be definitive for a moment if it makes you happy).

Exclusives rarely have that sort of power anymore. Not one game, anyway. But hey, if you want to leave the door open, be my guest. You're right there's no way to be 100% sure. But, as I said earlier, quote these posts, and bring them back up at the end of the generation. You'll see if I was wrong it being confident then :)

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm actually pretty confident that MS will drop Kinect as a mandatory pack-in before next fall. Especially if they are being consistently outsold in the US and UK. All it will take is a few UI tweaks and/or allowing the voice commands to go through a headset.

I hope so!

Xbox One ... minus Kinect... plus $299.99 = the moment I buy an XBO :D

krrrt

The Xbox One is available in Belgium though, saw it in at least 3 stores whilst christmas shopping yesterday.

Again, it's just you're looking at it from one strategy.

Yes, Microsoft can drop the price. But conveniently this ignores that Sony has an even easier ability to respond. They can simply drop the price in response. Since Xbox One is already more expensive than PS4, they have to drop the price further to be at a strategic advantage over Sony for pricecutting, and there's really no way that's going to happen. I'd like to hear an argument as to how that could happen, though.

So, if price is nullified, it's about the games. There are few enough genuine system sellers that exist to actually change the entire game, most of the important things these days tend to be multiplatform. But if they do get an exclusive that attracts, it's still going to have to overcome whatever massive lead Sony had gained by that point by performing vastly better in most territories worldwide up until that point, as well as the lost ground Microsoft ceded in USA and UK (whether they win in those territories or not is irrelevant to this point, so I won't even be definitive for a moment if it makes you happy).

Exclusives rarely have that sort of power anymore. Not one game, anyway. But hey, if you want to leave the door open, be my guest. You're right there's no way to be 100% sure. But, as I said earlier, quote these posts, and bring them back up at the end of the generation. You'll see if I was wrong it being confident then :)

I hope so!

Xbox One ... minus Kinect... plus $299.99 = the moment I buy an XBO :D
Yeah I just meant US and UK. They are obviously boned elsewhere. And I didn't mean a single exclusive to catch fire, more a nice stable of titles. About Sony responding to what MS does, that's true, but they are not infallible (nor is MS).

I own a PS4 and don't plan on buying a XBO but I think some of the reactions around here can be over the top. It's like declaring the PS3 dead in the water because the 360 got FFXIII. :p

Chobel

Yeah I just meant US and UK. They are obviously boned elsewhere. And I didn't mean a single exclusive to catch fire, more a nice stable of titles. About Sony responding to what MS does, but they are not infallible (nor is MS).

I own a PS4 and don't plan on buying a XBO but I think some of the reactions around here can be over the top. It's like declaring the PS3 dead in the water because the 360 got FFXIII.

I can tell right now that if PS4 had Titanfall, Xbox One would be dead, Wii U dead.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I just meant US and UK. They are obviously boned elsewhere. And I didn't mean a single exclusive to catch fire, more a nice stable of titles. About Sony responding to what MS does, that's true, but they are not infallible (nor is MS).

I own a PS4 and don't plan on buying a XBO but I think some of the reactions around here can be over the top. It's like declaring the PS3 dead in the water because the 360 got FFXIII.

I get the joke at the end there opticalmace, but I'm not calling XBO dead. I'm simply saying it's going to be beat by the PS4 in the UK, and it's going to be much closer to Xbox this gen than they were last gen in USA. That's not really the same type of proclamation. And by all reasonable accounts, the evidence so far supports this

You would think they would ride that Titanfall hype train for tier 2 countries.
But then if you look at the sales numbers 2 mill in 18 days for 15 countries and 2 mill in 16 days for 30 countries i tells me X1 already covers most of the big markets.

Still a slap in the face for fans for delaying the release so long but yeah not the first time europe gets fucked in the ass with release dates for electronics. Good thing the X1 is region free so if you really want one you could import if you can't wait.

I get the joke at the end there opticalmace, but I'm not calling XBO dead. I'm simply saying it's going to be beat by the PS4 in the UK, and it's going to be much closer to Xbox this gen than they were last gen in USA. That's not really the same type of proclamation. And by all reasonable accounts, the evidence so far supports this
I should have put a smiley face on there, it wasn't meant to be mean-spirited. Not sure what you mean by XBO being much closer to Xbox in the US?

Proper translation (in case anyone cares):
Important: According to Microsoft, the delivery date of the Xbox One to several countries (e.g. Switzerland) has been delayed for an undetermined time for adjustments to the XBL market place. Due to several conversations we expect that a delivery in this country is not going to happen any time before Easter. An even longer waiting time is not entirely unlikely.

Top Bottom