• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(unconfirmed) League of Legends, EA.com among others struck with DDOS

gaQiZfb.png

First he was giving them his IP address and now they have him in custody after pulling an "automatic" on him?

Why?

Starviper

This thread is ridiculous. Any legit reporting on this? Crazy that so much was taken down just to screw with one dude, lol.

The maturity rating here is still about a 2/10, but the drama level is through the roof. The net result of that's is generally still pretty boring, though. It's not easy for people to call the police and just randomly talk them into being serious enough to hold someone in custody and doing a fourth amendment-questionable home search on their property.

Thus it sort of reeks of a hoax but the DDoS did still happen which muddies it up a little. There's either a really great or really awful story behind this all, with not much room in the middle.

Dex815

Sounds like he is taking the chance to advertise himself (after all that's what streamers look for).

Is imposible that the police goes into his house with automatic guns, only possible reason for that is that these guys are giving false denounces to the police about drugs / hostages / terrorism... And in that case those assholes will be in jail for a longer time than just for the DDoS attack.

IsayFever

Sounds like he is taking the chance to advertise himself (after all that's what streamers look for).

Is imposible that the police goes into his house with automatic guns, only possible reason for that is that these guys are giving false denounces to the police about drugs / hostages / terrorism... And in that case those assholes will be in jail for a longer time that just the DDoS.

was a false hostage situation claim

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If I am not mistaken, hacking takes a lot more ingenuity and skill.

I consider myself to be below average intelligence and ddos pretty much comes down to something like

iptables -A output -p tcp -d <ip> -m tcp --tcp -flags SYN,ACK,RST -i drop

followed by

hping 3 --faster -S <ip>

I've only seen it done live in person once.

There is no way the guy has access to a phone while the house is on lockdown and he is in the back of a cruiser. Pretty fucking sure the cops aren't going to give you a means to communicate with anyone but them while they suspect criminal activity.

I'm calling bullshit.

Dex815

was a false hostage situation claim

Even in that case is mostly impossible that they break into the house.

Is not like the SWAT is moved to the scene without confirmation... first some agents would confirm the situation by getting close to the house, having a look and calling to the door. And if a hostages situation is confirmed then the SWAT unit would be called and it would take 30-60 min to form it up and reach the location, even in states with permanent SWAT units like CA.

This sounds like this guy looking for more fans.

There is no way the guy has access to a phone while the house is on lockdown and he is in the back of a cruiser. Pretty fucking sure the cops aren't going to give you a means to communicate with anyone but them while they suspect criminal activity.

I'm calling bullshit.

Im not saying its not possible but its very unlikely that a guy who sole job is streaming to risk his reputation and credibility on the line for a one time gig. Are you telling me he is willing to throw away potential sponsor, risk a ban from twitch, and risk a ban from riot all to make some one quick time CPM money?

That sounds incredibly stupid. He was already a successful streamer that had plentiful subscribers and donations.

Is not like the SWAT is moved to the scene without confirmation... first some agents would confirm the situation by getting close to the house, having a look and calling to the door. And if a hostages situation is confirmed then the SWAT unit would be called and it would take 30-60 min to form it up and reach the location, even in states with permanent SWAT units like CA.

I would agree with you if PL wasn't already famous in the LoL community. His job is to stream games, and by doing so get sponsors, donations, subscribers and etc. He isn't going to get shit if this is one big lie.

edit

In the long run, I don't think this is a big hoax. It would be incredibly stupid to risk your career (and for him it was a job) over something so trivial as a one time fame.

brian!

are you guys saying it was phantomlord all along
do you think he did his signature scream in triumph after he tricked the entire world

It's not easy for people to call the police and just randomly talk them into being serious enough to hold someone in custody and doing a fourth amendment-questionable home search on their property.

Not if the officer was hoping to play a little LoL to unwind after a long patrol.

Dex815

Im not saying its not possible but its very unlikely that a guy who sole job is streaming to risk his reputation and credibility on the line for a one time gig. Are you telling me he is willing to throw away potential sponsor, risk a ban from twitch, and risk a ban from riot all to make some one quick time CPM money?

That sounds incredibly stupid. He was already a successful streamer that had plentiful subscribers and donations.

I would agree with you if PL wasn't already famous in the LoL community. His job is to stream games, and by doing so get sponsors, donations, subscribers and etc. He isn't going to get shit if this is one big lie.

Streamers do this kind of job because they like the fame. There are many cases of TV people or journalists doing crazy/stupid stuff just for their 15 min. of fame. Is in their personality, they want atention (I'm not saying that is something terrible, just that not everyone is like that).

brian!

additionally the officers may not have approved of phantomlord's occasional toxic behavior in the fields of justice
here we see the tribunal being translated to real life as the cops point guns in his face and shout menacing things
"ur banned", they whisper as they shove phantomlord into the car

IsayFever

Police show up, knock on door, he answers, complies to a search of the home, they cuff him per normality sake, remove him from home as per normal, sweep, clear, release him, he posts

Streamers do this kind of job because they like the fame. There are many cases of TV people or journalists doing crazy/stupid stuff just for their 15 min. of fame. Is in their personality, they want atention (I'm not saying that is something terrible, just that not everyone is like that).

No, streamers do this job for plenty of reasons. Not just because of fame. There is no one reason why anybody takes any particular job. Are you that naive?

Lets just pretend this is a hoax. So twitch will probably ban him, if not twitch riot will because they don't want something like this associated to their brand and hurt "esports". His whole job would need to be re-adjusted all for a one time thing. seriously?

Dex815

Police show up, knock on door, he answers, complies to a search of the home, they cuff him per normality sake, remove him from home as per normal, sweep, clear, release him, he posts

In that picture why do the police need agents with automatic guns?

No, streamers do this job for plenty of reasons. Not just because of fame. There is no one reason why anybody takes any particular job. Are you that naive?

Lets just pretend this is a hoax. So twitch will probably ban him, if not twitch riot will because they don't want something like this associated to their brand and hurt "esports". His whole job would need to be re-adjusted all for a one time thing. seriously?

I'm not saying that everyone be like that, but in this case that's how it looks like to me (if he is the one behind this).

I should have put "many" in the beginning of the sentence sorry.

additionally the officers may not have approved of phantomlord's occasional toxic behavior in the fields of justice
here we see the tribunal being translated to real life as the cops point guns in his face and shout menacing things
"ur banned", they whisper as they shove phantomlord into the car
You're killing me Brian lol

DryvBy

They didn't arrest, maybe? Put him in back of car while they searched, then released him.

I did this same thing on /r/atheism. I said I was a kid running away from my religious alcoholic mother who grounded by for owning a science book. She took my cell phone and I have no way to call family. I was running away in the middle of the country area, miles from civilization.

After several "this is why I hate religion" posts, someone with common sense stepped in and asked how I was on Reddit running away from home. I don't know why it took 10 minutes for someone to catch that...

TL;DR - Trolls be trollin'.

This can't possibly be true... Can it?

Does this Twitchguy actually have his personal information public? How could the DDOS guy have his street address unless his personal information got compromised ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Did he get swatted or not?

Does this Twitchguy actually have his personal information public? How could the DDOS guy have his street address unless his personal information got compromised ?
Information can be gotten extremely easily.

Gold Member
Err if he really wanted to troll him wouldn't he/they be better off targeting Twitch? Seems like a lot of effort targeting all those services to me lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Power of the internet. Swifty (WoW nut) for example got also the cops called to his house by some pranker, it was even on stream. You could see how the cops came in and asked him questions.

or Sodapoppin got a few pizzas delivered to his house. Pretty scary stuff.

Burt

On a sidenote... how many Lulzsecers ended up getting arrested after their DDOS attacks, and is it generally assumed that it was most of the people responsible or just a small portion of them?

Top Bottom