• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy art style is your favourite?

Duxxy3

Ff7-barret.png

Appeals to japanese and western audiences.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXII & FFVIII are top tier
FFXI & FFVII are mid tier (FFVII would be top tier if more of the game looked like midgar)
FFX and FFXIII are bottom tier
FFIX is garbage tier

Whompa

6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, and soon to be 15

The best? It's really a tossup since the styles change pretty drastically on some of them.

I think the pre-production artwork for 6 and 12 is fucking phenomenal, whereas the 3d executions of 10, 14, and 15 look absolutely awesome. I would love to see all the pre-production work for 15.

I'd have to say overall style would probably go to 7 since the steampunk-y world feels so lived in and atmospheric. Character designs are good but definitely a product of the time where more outlandish designs were in. The environments are where it's at.

XII of course. To this day, Ivalice is my favourite FF world and FFXII had some fantastic designs for most of the characters and creatures. There's just something very appealing about the desert setting and the Judges and different races give it a very unique flavour.

Hyunashi

FF12 easily for me. The only art style I didnt like, strangely, was 9 even though i loved almost everything else about it.

I wonder how shit they look on iOS/Android.

If it's anything like the FF5 on iOS/Android, the redone enemies are actually great. The characters not so much.

On topic, I think I like most of what Yoshida has done, with my favorite probably being FF14. Most of the pieces I would post are already in the thread.

Toth

You say childish, I say fairytale and classic stylish design. And that was what the story was, a medieval fairytale with great characters. Adult themes can go well with any any artstyle. Doesn't need to have silly japanese pop anime full of belts characters with adult proportions.

Okay, childish is not the world that's fair. Let's say 'storybook'ish. The reason why I do not fully care for it it because the style is so different from previous FFs (even the lesser ones) and greatly conflicts with Amano's awesome designs of FF past.

That being said, I would kill to see a FF with Amano shaded characters. /droll.

edit: Zidane in Dissidia does indeed look so much better.

I have a feeling that this post is going to get crapped on but I really digged the Tactics Advance series artstyle.

They just look so whimsical and fun.

The generic unit designs are the best as well. They just leak personality and charm compared to other Final Fantasy games with job systems. I think adding different playable races that aren't just blue skinned humans was the best thing this series had.

Same goes for A2:

And yeah I get that the designs can be a little

...elaborate, but I that's exactly why I love them. Look at those giant pizza cutter swords. These kids aren't fucking around. They just want to have crazy adventures without politics, alcoholism, albinism, or crippling diseases getting in the way.

raven777

I like all 3: Amano, Yoshida, and Nomura. All 3 have distinct advantages in their styles.

Nomura has great styels for steam-punk, futuristic setting while Yoshida has great med-evil type of setting (FF14)
Amano for me has really unique style that is hard to explain.

I have too many conflicting answers for the OP's question. I love many of the different styles and happy that they all exist.

Amano, though, wow. I was happy that I got to meet him last year. And he drew a sketch of FF4's Kain for me. Scratch one off my bucket list.

VIII always stuck me as the most "prototypical" of modern FF style. And yeah, that means a heavy Nomura influence. But I see the most consistent legacy of art direction in this style through VIII, X, XIII, and XV.

I get bugged-out how they made Stella look more like a 16 year pop idol than her more beta-versions indicated

FFXV-Stella.png

Stella-portrait.jpg
Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I'm kind of indifferent about Stella's redesign. Yeah, her beta version looks more humanized but I don't think it's a travesty or anything. Plus we only have the 1 CG render from a split-second of trailer to make judgments with.

XV's art direction looks balls-to-the-wall amazing. Can't wait for it.

TokiDoki

VIII or FF8 for me too . While the characters design isn't perfect , the settings had really great art and very memorable . Balamb interior , Galbadia Garden , Deling City , Esther City , Ragnarok .. all of them . Quistis design is pretty good too .

Aurongel

XII has a consistency and a scale that nothing else in the series can touch but you could also say the same for VI had it not been for the fuckugly overworld map.

I can't tell if we're talking about the art style in-game or in promo art, but going by the answers, I'll assume it's the latter. I really like the look of IX and Crystal Chronicles the most in either case.

I don't like the designs of XII or XIV, but their promotional and concept artwork is usually gorgeous to look at.

terrisus

Them ribs: Poor girl is starving to death.

AND HER HAIR IS GREEN DAMMIT! ;_____;
(jk)

Never mind that, just think of what those shoes are doing to her foot structure.

Probably the only redesign I DON'T like. Mesh shirts =/= good FF design.

If it wants to be a true Final Fantasy design, it needs more belts and zippers.

Ugh, post-6 designs are just horrible in general

Dice//

Banned
I liked Nomura's older stuff. These days he just looks like he's out of practice and obviously doesn't devote himself to "just the creative" aspect anymore since he's moved up in the company.

Ho hum.

@ MagnaderAlpha
Just remember, FF7 was made in the 90s...Mesh shirts were the
best/worst
fad of that era. :p
I love Berrets redesign, but I agree about the mesh, it's dumb n' ugly.

@Raven777
I love the design too...just wish it moved faster across the world map. >:[

Dark_castle

I liked Nomura's older stuff. These days he just looks like he's out of practice and obviously doesn't devote himself to "just the creative" aspect anymore since he's moved up in the company.

Depends on how you define older.

Dissidia 012 and Type-0 came out in 2011.

george_us

Final Fantasy XII's art style is my favorite.

When I first saw the images it literally took my breath away. I'd kill for another game with a similar style instead of what we're getting now.

Ho hum.
I think Nomura was more creative back in the day. Maybe it had something to do with him being younger and having more to prove. I mean, you just don't see FF monsters that look like these anymore:

Melusine_FFV_Nomura_Art.jpg

Enuo_%28unshadowed%29.png

]@ MagnaderAlpha
Just remember, FF7 was made in the 90s...Mesh shirts were the
best/worst
fad of that era. :p
I love Berrets redesign, but I agree about the mesh, it's dumb n' ugly.
FFVII was made in the 90s. Advent Children wasn't. Though, I think Barret's original look is superior. Don't care for his new vest, nor his fake looking prosthetic arm. Something seemed more gruff and rugged regarding his original look that just fit.

Village

Probably the only redesign I DON'T like. Mesh shirts =/= good FF design.

Better than his old one for multiple reasons, more thought, less racist ect ect.

FFVII was made in the 90s. Advent Children wasn't. Though, I think Barret's original look is superior. Don't care for his new vest, nor his fake looking prosthetic arm. Something seemed more gruff and rugged regarding his original look that just fit.

I don't

" hey we need a black guy"

" lets just make him mr. t, thats totally not kind of racist "

Also his body is like... better portioned, he has like a cyborg arm, they actually put some thought and effort into the design and made it original rather than just base it on that one black guy they saw on the tv , generally everything is better in the new design. IMO.

Hedge

Final Fantasy 12 will always be god-tier to me. Akihiko Yoshida is amazing. The way he maked most of his designs seem practical and yet fantastical is amazing.
Not sure there is anything like it. I'd say 10, but Tidus' and Lullu's designs were.. terrible.

Top Bottom