• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS1 Spiderman Games were great.

37588-Spider-Man_[NTSC-U]-1.jpg

I just bought these games at a local pawn shop (good condition too!) and these are some of the finest Spider-Man games ever Besides Spiderman 2 on PS2/Xbox of course. When I was little, I used to play the Jampack Demo discs of both Spiderman and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro. I fought that boss battle of Scorpion in the Spider Man demo so much the lines of dialogue are melted into my brain. Looking back at this series, it still holds holds up after 15 years, both games actually.

I really wish these games were on PSN, but probably not because of licensing issues. What are your fond memories of this game GAF?

I had the demo on a PlayStation preview disc that I played probably 200 times. Finally got the game and it was great. Loved it. Never played 2.

Salsa

I really liked the short rendition of the spiderman theme that would loop on the main menu with Spiderman running in place (was it?)

I let that running in the background all the time

played a shit ton of these games really. loved them at the time

SFenton

I think Spider-Man 1 is fantastic, camera control aside.

Spider-Man 2 is okay, but it's definitely the first example of "leave ports to VV and give original titles to other teams" over the years.

hal9001

Banned
Enter electro was a great game. The story was really fun and the web slinging mechanisms were really cool. Also tons of unlockable costumes as well.

Salsa

also the gas 'plot' in order to avoid street gameplay / invisible walls and get a manageable draw distance was pretty funny

I played the first one. It has some of the best unlockable content in any game I've ever played. I've never been into comics but it really made me want to get into Spiderman.

My little cousin used to play the first one when I had to watch him. It always seemed fun and looked great. Super comic-bookey, smart linear design, and dat Stan Lee.

Played the first game so much back in the day I think I actually broke the disc. Never got to play the second one although I always wanted to.

User1608

Banned
Only played the first game on N64, but it was pretty fun. Loved Stan Lee's narration, made me feel like I was playing the comic books.

Kas

I remember playing one of them when they first came out. I could never get past the first level on my own, with the bomb and the bank vault. I always needed help with that.

I enjoyed it, and it was one of first spiderman games I've really enjoyed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I loved playing those game, though the first one is better as the second, while is good, it's lacking what made the first one so good.

Miker

I had the N64 version as a kid, but I didn't have a memory pack, so I couldn't save at all. Luckily, the game had cheat codes (remember those?), and I used the unlock everything code to get to new levels via level select.

LAM09

I really enjoyed the first one, but the second wasn't as good. Spiderman series has gone downhill since then.

Played the hell out of the first one, had it on Dreamcast.

Kept waiting for Enter Electro to be ported, but it never was and I had moved onto next gen at that point.

Also the PS1 games looked pretty crappy in comparison to the DC version.

rardk64

I played the first on N64. It lacked the cut scenes of the PS1 version, but the comic book cut scene style was still nice IMO.

Great game, in my opinion. The controls could be a bit clunky sometimes, but the story the game took you through was great. Even as someone who didn't follow the comic books, getting to see so many Spider-Man villains in one story was pretty awesome.

I've got the Dreamcast version sitting next to me right now. Found it while reluctantly walking in a thrift store.

It's alright. The N64 version was amazing to me as a kid, and I'm sure I've got it lying around somewhere.

In my years of collecting, I've probably grabbed every damned Spider-Man game that ever existed, regardless of quality. Such is the life of a fanatic. I seem to recall the NES titles being horrific, and the Atari one kind of rings a nasty bell, too.

I think The Scorpion Boss battle in the first one is one of my favorite boss battles as a kid. You are just throwing tvs,chairs, desks anything you can to stop Scorpion from killing J.J. it was really awesome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I had the N64 version as a kid, but I didn't have a memory pack, so I couldn't save at all. Luckily, the game had cheat codes (remember those?), and I used the unlock everything code to get to new levels via level select.

That reminds me, did anyone ever put in the cheat code for "What if" mode, it changed the game up.

I really enjoyed the first one, but the second wasn't as good. Spiderman series has gone downhill since then.

Yeah we need a good developer and publisher to make a good Spider-Man game.

I liked when he punched swearwords at the password screen.

Ha ha I remember that.

Though for some reason I chose to do that in front of my young cousins and little brother who where about 4-5 years old.

Bloomers

The greatest Spiderman games ever made (particularly the first one), and one of the few games that I regularly return to on the PS1. So good

Teuoxton

PC was best version. And What If mode really added to replayability.

I will always remember that line Stan Lee gives to describe my favorite superhero: "An icon to prople everywhere, Captain America is the definition of a true hero!"

I played the first one and got stuck on Doc-Ock and Carnage when I was little haha I have to go back and beat him. I never played the second one sadly, I'll have to pick it up.

Elija2

I've said this before in another thread, but anyone who liked these games should pick up the first Spider-Man movie game on PS2/XBOX/GC. It plays a lot like these games and is pretty good.

I've said this before in another thread, but anyone who liked these games should pick up the first Spider-Man movie game on PS2/XBOX/GC. It plays a lot like these games and is pretty good.
I played it but wasn't a huge fan. It didn't do a good job at capturing the spirit of the movies, while the PS1 games nail the 90s cartoon.

It also didn't help that the sequel is probably the best Spider-Man game ever.

Top Bottom