• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound will have "broader appeal"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-exclusive-scalebound-will-have-broader-ap/1100-6433232/

Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance developer Platinum Games' upcoming Xbox One exclusive, Scalebound, is a "gift" for Microsoft, marketing executive Aaron Greenberg says in a new interview. When asked if Microsoft might be challenged to the market the game widely, considering it's from a Japanese developer that people may not be familiar with, Greenberg said it's actually an opportunity.

"It's another gift for us," he told DualShockers. "If you think about what [game director Hideki Kamiya] has created, and his history of just creating incredibly unique games, that are such high quality and that are loved by core gamers… To be able to have him making a new IP exclusive for us and a big title, I think it's something we're really excited about."

Scalebound was announced at E3 2014 and is due out next year--but it remains something of a mystery. Greenberg described it as an action RPG, and as such, it has the opportunity to appeal not only to fans of Platinum's past work, but also anyone who likes those kinds of games.

"We think of it as an action RPG game, and we think it will both appeal to fans of the games that Platinum has made, but at the same time, I think it will be a game that will have a broader appeal to folks that maybe haven't played their games before," he explained. "So we're excited to be able to introduce that to a broader audience as well."

Scalebound will offer four-player co-op and aims to demonstrate "the power of what the Xbox One can do." One of Platinum's original ideas was to make Scalebound a motion-controlled Wii game starring a little girl and featuring dinosaurs instead of dragons.

As much as I love Platinum's hack and slash games, I'm excited to see what they're going to do with a different take on the genre. I don't mind the concept of changing the core of the gameplay from Platinum at all, especially considering that TMNT will probably be a more traditional Platinum game, and we just got Transformers as well.

I hope there's proper character customization for the co-op.

Lock if old.

Basketball

guess that's that

In the last like 3 years everytime this has been brought up about a game
it is never a good thing ... Every Single Time

Dio

Banned
"We want to appeal to a wider audience" has been said, even if not exactly.

My expectations for this title are now falling through the floor.

It's an action RPG right? It looks decent but I hope they get the framerate tighter.
It was so damn early I don't know why people keep bringing this up as if it is relevant. Once closer to release frame rate concerns could be relevant. I would prefer them to show gameplay over a year out than another CG trailer.

Eusis

Broader appeal here sounds more like how Okami has broader appeal than Viewtiful Joe due to being an easier Zeldalike than a hardcore platform. Still pretty interested in this.

well yeah, it's open world, has pretty graphics and looks to be a much more streamlined/accessible combat system than other platinum games

and dragons!

The dudebro lead character is definitely an appeal to a broader market. I think read it was supposed to be a little girl at first?

Yeah, it was supposed to be a little girl first. It had been shelved twice. The first time, you were controlling dinosaurs - which were changed to dragons, and it was a Wii exclusive. The second time it was Scalebound but with a little girl.

HORRORSHØW

the first showing was really mediocre with slow-ass combat and whack-ass character and monster designs.

still, i like what i'm hearing about customizations and 4-player co-op is always great.
--

Zeta Oni

I think it's the Beats by Dre headphones that really sell the bro look.

Lol, cause wireless headphones based on arguably the most popular pair of wireless headphones ever made just screams dudebro right?

Dudebro like Gears of War, right?

I don't care for the main leads design either, but this just seems like a complaint for complaints sake.

I think it's the Beats by Dre headphones that really sell the bro look.

Eh, when I hear "dudebro" I usually think of jacked-up sport type dudes.

Drew just seems like a typical "rebellious teenager" design. The headphones add to it but overall he seems more like one of those kids who wants to be cool but doesn't quite have it if that makes sense.

Might as well do product placement and make his headphones a set of Beats. No sense in not cashing in. You could also change the lead character to Odell Beckham Jr.

Lucreto

I got a feeling it will be next years Tomb Raider.

I would not be surprised if it releases around the same time as Mass Effect Andromeda which Microsoft will be marketing as well.

If they have the gameplay like Okami I will enjoy it immensely, that and the weakness I have for Dragon games makes it day one.

Eh, when I hear "dudebro" I usually think of jacked-up sport type dudes.

Drew just seems like a typical "rebellious teenager" design. The headphones add to it but overall he seems more like one of those kids who wants to be cool but doesn't quite have it if that makes sense.

If anything, Drew just feels like Nero got his hair cut.
2771332-1396197873-617x..jpg

nero-devil-may-cry-4-30453242-576-293.jpg

I mean, they both even have the solid, scaly right arm.

RdN

I think this is a good thing.

Japanese games have a minuscule market in western markets, if Microsoft wants this to be a commercial success, it needs to be able to cater to it.

Are Platinum's main characters really that unappealing to the mainstream? Raiden is a badass cyborg ninja (well, attempting to be badass). Bayonetta is a hyper-sexualized female protagonist. These aren't exactly high-brow concepts.

diaspora

It was so damn early I don't know why people keep bringing this up as if it is relevant. Once closer to release frame rate concerns could be relevant. I would prefer them to show gameplay over a year out than another CG trailer.

People keep bringing it up because while Platinum is great for targeting 60fps they're also known for inconsistency.

Dio

Banned
I have a creeping feeling Scalebound is gonna be the red headed step child of GAF.

Hey, I want the game to be good. I just think that from what I've seen of the game, personally, I'm not going to like the final product. They showed gameplay footage and the core concept doesn't look fun to me.

laxu

If they really want broader appeal they're gonna have to start by redesigning the protagonist.

Indeed. During last E3 I don't think any other game made me hate the player character right from the start. Those stupid headphones are just the tip of the iceberg.

Moze

Banned
Kamiya has yet to make a bad game. He is one of the most consistent game directors of all time and has done it without making single sequel. Regardless of how much MS gets involved, i can just not imagine Kamiya delivering a bad game.

Chris1

The game looks incredible, I have a feeling it's gonna do extremely well and be the first real breakout hit for Platinum. It's an open world RPG with dragons coming off the heels of Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dragon Age, Fallout etc. Plus it has 4 player coop in the campaign which if done correctly is going to be fucking awesome. All the small details we know about it sound really good too and it's Platinum so no doubt it's going to review amazing.

Just how big the game will be is going to depend on how much marketing force MS puts behind it, I think with Platinum's pedigree MS is going to give it a big marketing budget.. at least I hope so..

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Are Platinum's main characters really that unappealing to the mainstream? Raiden is a badass cyborg ninja (well, attempting to be badass). Bayonetta is a hyper-sexualized female protagonist. These aren't exactly high-brow concepts.
Character action games have been on the decline for a while. Especially new IPs.

Kamiya has yet to make a bad game. He is one of the most consistent game directors of all time and has done it without making single sequel. Regardless of how much MS gets involved, i can just not imagine Kamiya delivering a bad game.

The only thing that worries me is Kamiya's known dislike of upper-management meddling. They already had a bit of a spat revolving his role in the Gamescom presentation (which seems to have been resolved in his favour since he was playing the game live on stage).

But yeah, so far he seems pleased with how the game is shaping up so that's good enough for me. Kamiya's basically the seal of approval for me.

The holiday release date's the other main concern. I hope Microsoft really treat this game with the respect and attention it deserves, and that the release is set far off to ensure a quality product. Next year's E3 will be very important for this game.

Zeta Oni

Hey, I want the game to be good. I just think that from what I've seen of the game, personally, I'm not going to like the final product. They showed gameplay footage and the core concept doesn't look fun to me.

And thats a perfectly fine reason to not be interested, of course.

It's just that this being a JRPG
(one of the most popular genres on this site, it seems)
made by a beloved
(on this website especially)
developer for a console many
(I'd argue a clear majority on gaming side at least)
are not interested in getting makes me believe it will be receiving some attention that other games dont.

Top Bottom