• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center is gone from iOS 10

Majine

Banned
After Apples conference, they pushed out the first developer beta for iOS 10 and most notably from a gaming perspective is... the removal of Game Center, which I guess marks the end for Apples social gaming network.

chrono01

I have quite a few gatcha games linked to it to save the data, I wonder what's going to happen to them. I guess I'll have to link it with something else, I hope it doesn't just reset my account(s). :/

chrono01

Game Center functionality is still around on the app back-end, there's just no dedicated app for it
Oh, so I can still use it for the data link connected to my gatcha games, but there won't be a stand-alone app for it? That's fine with me, I never used it for that stuff. I just used it to save my gatcha game data, since it was so convenient,

SoulUnison

Banned
Game Center was such a pain int he ass to get to actually disappear.

Did people every actually want that "Welcome Back, SoulUnison!" banner covering up part of the screen everytime you returned to a game for a few minutes?

Game Center never had a single feature I was actually interested in, but actively tried to make the games I did want to play more frustrating.

Never got the point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But isn't that used for lots of cross platform saves between iPad/iPhone, and for online save backups? Is there a replacement for that, or is the Game Center online element staying for devs to leverage and it's just the client that is going?

h1HNDAx.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But isn't that used for lots of cross platform saves between iPad/iPhone, and for online save backups? Is there a replacement for that, or is the Game Center online element staying for devs to leverage and it's just the client that is going?
This is what I'm concerned about. Game Center had a good purpose and it wasn't the leaderboard and achievement shit.

Lijik

Not going to miss the weird lag that the banner always introduced without fail the second i tried loading up a game

chrono01

As mentioned, that's what I use it for too and, from what I've read, the actual functionality is remaining, there just won't be an app for it. Everything will be contained with the games/apps themselves.

Jamesways

Great news! It broke several of my games for me on phone and iPad. Had to wipe and download the beta IOS patches as a tester to get them to work again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The leaderboards trophies etc is all still there, and will be presented in the games. It's just that there's no all-encompassing app where you can see it all in one place.
This is what I'm concerned about. Game Center had a good purpose and it wasn't the leaderboard and achievement shit.
That stuff is all still there, just the client app is removed. I think there's a lack of understanding in this thread what exactly has been removed.

xzeldax3

This sucks. I guess I'm a outlier, but I love having a game hub where I can see my achievements. Too bad they didn't put the effort into advancing the app instead of removing it.

Top Bottom