• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daymare: 1998 - First Gameplay Trailer [RE4-inspired Horror Game by RE2 reborn team]

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
UPDATE: Kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ringing-back-the-survival-horror?ref=category

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-GIqZPPck

It's the first big trailer for Daymare: 1998, which is made by Invader Games, the people who were making the Resident Evil 2 Reborn fan game/remake of RE2 that was behind-the-shoulder that got cancelled and they got to meet with Capcom. They picked themselves up and instead went on to start an indie game using what they learned to make their own original horror game. Honestly, it looks great in my opinion. Definitely up there in interest for the indie horror game scene.

There will be a Kickstarter campaign to support it in early 2017, this demo section will be playable as well to give an idea of their goals with it.

Anung

Un Rama
A little stiff but looks great all the same. Really enjoy what they've done with the environments.

eXistor

I hate to say this, but Daymare is just about the worst name for a game (or anything) I've heard. Game looks alright, but yikes.

realdragon75

Neo Member
Yeeees! this looks wonderful! I wanted Capcom to keep the resident evil 4 gameplay for 7, but to deliver a more spookier experience, and this seems to deliver (hopefully). I'm looking forward to it.

Dusk Golem

Great texture work.

Looks really promising, will keep an eye on this one.

I agree, especially since I know they've been doing a lot of the texture work themselves. I know they're using Unreal Engine 4 for this, but it's coming together nicely. Honestly probably part of the reason this chunk of the game came along so quickly (this project has been being worked on for less than a year) is because using the materials Capcom had no copyright for from their RE2 Reborn project they did by hand and had rights to.

A little stiff but looks great all the same. Really enjoy what they've done with the environments.

It does, but pretty decent when you consider this is a small team of people who came together to make a fan remake of RE2 originally and now decided to form their own studio. It's the reason more of these type of games don't get made: Animation. It's hard to do without a studio set-up for it, but I think it looks passable for what it is. Plus there was never enough RE4 clones, and it's quite the endeavor for a small studio to take on.

Oh I am on board.

I'm so on board.

I'm excited as well.

I hate to say this, but Daymare is just about the worst name for a game (or anything) I've heard. Game looks alright, but yikes.

I wouldn't say worst, but I do agree it's not a good name. XD; I'm going to chalk part of this to the fact the studio behind it is Italian, so English is not their first language.

Looks better to me than Resident Evil VII: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Some may be more excited for the type of game it is, but I'm excited for both for different reasons in my horror enthusiast position.

Sesha

Looks rough but promising. The gunplay and hit reactions need work, and if I were to compare with RE456, the character model is a bit too centered/big for the screen. Animations need work too. But this is obviously early, so I'm interested in how this project develops.

Dusk Golem

Also, I skimmed over this,but they'll be going the Kickstarter route apparently in early 2017. Also released these screens I will post:

3.png
4.png
5.png
2.png
1.png
8.png
6.png
7.png
13.png
9.png
Fight.png
Type-7%20form%201%20by%20Satoshi%20Nakai.png

Looks OK, and I realize it's a small team, but the environments look like generic Engine assets. Plus the character models have that plastic sheen and stiff animations that make it look cheap. I really wish they would've made a more simplistic and stylized game that fit within their budget and team size to made the game really stand out.

Dusk Golem

Looks OK, and I realize it's a small team, but the environments look like generic Engine assets. Plus the character models have that plastic sheen and stiff animations that make it look cheap. I really wish they would've made a more simplistic and stylized game that fit within their budget and team size to made the game really stand out.

It's to keep in mind this is also early. Though they've made some steps. For comparison, this was where they had gotten on the RE2 remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1pZhMEzNA

The stuff we see hear is what they've managed in less than a years time, but they maybe obviously built off what they had in a different direction. But as with any project, it'll receive a lot more polish outside of the first year, and if they go the Kickstarter route they'll probably have a tester category to get direct feedback and such on.

Seems decent for what it is, name aside.
The camera during healing(I think?) Was a bit weird.
A demo should see the kickstarter doing well, the name might even turn out to be a blessing in disguise if it gets attention.

Tain

"Daymare" is terrible and intentionally winking and nudging with "1998" is even worse.

It doesn't look bad, though.

LOL yup. First thing I thought of.
Was going to post this gif, but was too lazy to search for it.

Yes. YES.

Anyway, this is quite obviously RE2 inspired. I don't see RE4 in this. Thank Gawd someone is making the game I actually want.

Over the shoulder with the laser pointer, 180 turning, slow ass aiming is definitely some RE4 inspired gameplay

RE2 vibes definitely environmentally and artistically speaking

Raptor

They need to work on that gunplay feedback, no hit sounds, no blood splash, nothing.

Other than that looks good.

a916

Looks really stiff, needs some polishing but the core game is there and definitely feels like RE4. That said I don't want this...

kc44135

Ehh, I think it looks a bit too dark, and some of the animations look really stiff, but other than that, it seems all right, I guess. I just don't get why literally no one is making Horror games with fixed camera angles anymore. That style of fixed perspective adds so much to the atmosphere of Horror games, and it's something that I think the genre is sorely lacking. I say that as someone who's favorite game is RE4 and who loves the behind the back perspective. It's great for an action game, but I don't think it works as well for the purposes of a Horror game in terms of giving you that sense of tension and dread about what might be around the next corner. I just don't get why developers are seemingly so averse to fixed cameras. REmake 2 is my last hope... Capcom, pls.

Yeah, that's a really awful name. Let's come up with a different name and we can tweet it to them! Game looks really promising and I'll keep an eye out for the KS campaign next year.

I like the look of the game. That said, I agree with the comments about the animation and weapons feedback. They should rename the game to "City of the Dead".

It's rough, but it has plenty of potential. The environment looks really impressive for such a small team and the atmosphere is perfect.

I hate what Capcom is now doing with the RE series so a spiritual successor to RE4/5/6 is cool in my book. I enjoyed The Evil Within for the same reason, too. I'll probably be backing this when the kickstarter shows up.

Top Bottom