• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best opening sequences in films

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are films out there with opening sequences that are creative and imaginative to watch as it readies you for the main feature, so let's talk about those opening sequences, okay?

Monsters, Inc.

My gosh I love this one. I was watching the movie and the opening sequence is still wonderful. From the jazzy music in the background to the cool visuals and the creative way it spells out the logo, it's wonderful in every way.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
tenor.gif

Platy

I came ready for X2 and stuff like that but Creative and imaginative ?

I have to go with Perfume, the story of a murder

Monsters Inc. is the king of this, so pleased to see it already covered.

Emperor's New Groove also.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World makes me grin every time.

The stylish opening to Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is way better than the actual film.

Fuchsdh

The opening titles to Catch Me If You Can stand out. Really partly due to my profession I'm a sucker for great opening titles, but only a certain class complement and further their film's goals.

As far as best opening scenes, the start of Reservoir Dogs (to this day basically the only all-Tarantino film I can stand) stands out. I like banter in my films, so The Social Network probably ranks too.

I also think Rear Window's opening scene of basically setting the stage and concept in the first two shots also deserves some praise. before anyone's said anything you understand what's going on.

TDK? That perfectly timed Bus and the Perfectly timed Bus Convoy Ruin everything about it.

That's still hilarious. Apparently bus employees are too jaded to bother calling in the bus that just burst out of a wall as suspicious.

The bank scene has everything that's terrible about the Dark Knight—a villain whose success rides on the whims of the screenwriters bending the rules of reality to favor them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dark knight
Fotr

I came ready for X2 and stuff like that but Creative and imaginative ?

I have to go with Perfume, the story of a murder

Watchmen and Batman v Superman

Gravity's first 13ish minutes

Inglorious Basterds. It managed to make two men talking legitimately scary.
All great answers. I didnt think i would care to see Batman's parents die for the 20th time but Snyder did it. In fact,the metropolis destruction scene after the title sequence was brilliant too.

X-Men 2 blew me away.

I would like to add MGS2's George Washington Bridge sequence here as well.

Midnight Special just came into my mind, especially if we're talking title sequences. It's also the image that formed the inspiration to make the movie.

Silence was pretty cool, with a black image and just ambient noise then the title comes up and it's silence.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll go with one I don't think many here are even aware of.

almsloob-8afec1791a.jpg

Its an excellent movie in general but the opening is a single shot long take crazy action sequence with everything from martial arts to Nazis to flame throwers and the kitchen sink that ends on a really hilarious note. Seriously its fucking great!

Esiquio

Spectre's opening is incredible.

spectre-opening-sequence-in-Mexico.png

The Dark Knight, of course.

3DarkKnight-2.png

These scenes have a real sense of rhythm and urgency that sets a fantastic pace for the films, whether you agree that they fulfilled the promises of the opening or not.

I really like the simplicity of John Carpenter's The Thing opening, and by that I mean the opening credits ending with the ship and the title appearing. A lot of it has to do with Morricone's sparse, ominous music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom