• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO Shares the Love This Valentine’s Day

February 14 is Valentine's Day, and what better way to celebrate it than with your love of Pokémon? Starting today through February 15, when you go out and explore in Pokémon GO, you'll discover that some adorable pink Pokémon—such as Clefable, Jigglypuff, Chansey, and others—will appear more often. Also during this time, your Lure Modules will last an incredible six hours instead of the usual 30 minutes. Plus you'll earn double the amount of Candy you normally would and your Buddy Pokémon will help you earn Candy twice as fast!

Put your heart into Pokémon GO through February 15 to find more pink Pokémon and earn Candy even faster!

Source: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-go-shares-the-love-this-valentines-day/

Time to re-download it from the app store...?
Nah.

pokemon-go-169.jpg

JoeM86

People still play this game!?

374083-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

I always get responses like this to whenever I tweet about GO. Yeah its userbase has dropped and not everyone is playing, but it still has a bigger userbase than the vast majority of mobile titles.

I don't understand people :(

Checked the app this morning when I saw this announcement. Yup, Pokemon Go still kills my music player upon loading and EVERY TIME I TRY TO PLAY MUSIC AGAIN AFTER OPENING THE APP. Niantic was supposed to have fixed this Android issue in the last release, but instead they made it way worse for me. I stopped playing after that.

Music automatically starts playing again if I turn off the screen, hilariously, so I guess I could still rack up mileage via PoGo+, assuming it actually manages to connect properly. Also, jesus Niantic, can you maybe one day put out an Android app that isn't awful?

Laieon

Pretty excited for this actually. Pokemon Go was just released in Korea a couple weeks ago, so there's still a ton of people playing.

I don't have any of the pink pokemon so i might log in just to nab those while it's easy. I haven't played since the Halloween event.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm sure they'll have trading and battling ready for the first year anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuomiDude

Awesome news. I've had my Dragonair as my buddy for a long long time. Got a good IV Dragonair, but had only couple of Dratini candy, so I've had it as my buddy for about 150km now. This will help me get a good Dragonite much faster.

Also wouldn't mind having couple of Chanseys as well, only ever caught (and seen) one.

I play daily on my way to work so it's great news.
Same here, largely lost interest but it gives me something to do, every now and again I drop a couple of quid on some incubators too.

I get people not liking it or being bored, I've dropped off it a few times but whats with the sort of sneery cynicism about it? Its weird, its like people actively want it to fail.

Crazyorloco

They need to do events like this more often. I'm going to play for a bit now.

For the spring I think they should really start bringing the next gen of pokemon. It's going to be nicer out soon so I'd love for everyone to go out like last year and play pokemon. It was such a great experience for me.

Checked the app this morning when I saw this announcement. Yup, Pokemon Go still kills my music player upon loading and EVERY TIME I TRY TO PLAY MUSIC AGAIN AFTER OPENING THE APP. Niantic was supposed to have fixed this Android issue in the last release, but instead they made it way worse for me. I stopped playing after that.

Music automatically starts playing again if I turn off the screen, hilariously, so I guess I could still rack up mileage via PoGo+, assuming it actually manages to connect properly. Also, jesus Niantic, can you maybe one day put out an Android app that isn't awful?

You can hit play again after the app has booted up and music should play fine. Also make sure you've turned off the sound effects in the settings. I listen to podcasts with it up all the time and never have an issue. Also the connection issues with PoGo+ have gotten much better in recent patches.

It's neogaf's opinion on mobile games.

JoeM86

Same here, largely lost interest but it gives me something to do, every now and again I drop a couple of quid on some incubators too.

I get people not liking it or being bored, I've dropped off it a few times but whats with the sort of sneery cynicism about it? Its weird, its like people actively want it to fail.

I was so against the game when they announced it. I was sure it was not going to live up to expectations. I was dreading covering it, too.

I was both right and wrong. It was great fun, but isn't a good game at all. I enjoyed the hunting for Pokémon with my friends above all else, but then they started tinkering with how you find Pokémon which made it a lot less fun. The new method of finding Pokémon is a lot less fun than the original with the 3-step system.

I can't deny what it has done for the franchise though. I just wish there was a better game within it. It's so shall

I'm still mad I never got a Santa hat pikachu even though my maps were full of them. The thing would just not pop up, but it's cool to see that they increase my chances for the listed Pokémon. I only ever saw jigglypuff from the list.So I'm hoping I can add some new Pokémon due to this event .

You can hit play again after the app has booted up and music should play fine. Also make sure you've turned off the sound effects in the settings. I listen to podcasts with it up all the time and never have an issue. Also the connection issues with PoGo+ have gotten much better in recent patches.

It's neogaf's opinion on mobile games.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't. I'm well aware of the previous issue Pokemon Go had with music players and I'd worked around it by making Poweramp ignore any attempts to steal audio focus by other apps. This is a new and different issue. This is literally what happens:

1) play music
2) open Pokemon Go
3) during the loading process, music cuts out completely and remains off, even with sound/music off in the game
4) switch to music player, start playing music again
5) switch back to Pokemon Go, music IMMEDIATELY stops again
6) rinse and repeat until satisfied Pokemon Go is the problem
7) switch out of Pokemon Go, music suddenly plays again from where it stopped
OR
8) turn off screen while Pokemon Go is running, music suddenly plays again from where it stopped

This is a problem that only began with 0.55.x, the version that fixed a bunch of PoGo+ issues. The setting that allows Poweramp to ignore audio focus changes no longer works, and the fact that the music returns any time I don't have the app in the foreground makes me think it's not a simple audio focus issue. In any case, if I have to choose between music or Pokemon Go, music clearly wins.

PoGo+ was better under 0.55.0, in that I no longer had to turn BT off and on again, then load the game, then attempt to connect and fail, then unpair the PoGo+ in the game, then WAIT ONE MINUTE, then repair the PoGo+ every time I wanted to use it. But it still has issues recognizing Pokestops and Pokemon sometimes while connected, so I still consider it unreliable. Not that I've used it much because of the music issue.

I mean, who knows? Maybe it's my phone, a bog-standard Nexus 5X. Or maybe it's the fact that I also use Bluetooth headphones. But I'm not buying a new phone or a new set of headphones just to play Pokemon Go. If that's what Niantic is asking, absolutely fucking not.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't. I'm well aware of the previous issue Pokemon Go had with music players and I'd worked around it by making Poweramp ignore any attempts to steal audio focus by other apps. This is a new and different issue. This is literally what happens:

I don't use Poweramp, but does it have a tray player option? The way I've done it, I just slide the tray down and press play for the default music app/BeyondPod after Go is done loading.

I mean, who knows? Maybe it's my phone, a bog-standard Nexus 5X. Or maybe it's the fact that I also use Bluetooth headphones. But I'm not buying a new phone or a new set of headphones just to play Pokemon Go. If that's what Niantic is asking, absolutely fucking not.

I highly doubt that's what they're intending to do with it.

I always get responses like this to whenever I tweet about GO. Yeah its userbase has dropped and not everyone is playing, but it still has a bigger userbase than the vast majority of mobile titles.

I think it's just Niantic's support of the game. Their overall apathy for the project breeds user apathy.

I don't use Poweramp, but does it have a tray player option? The way I've done it, I just slide the tray down and press play for the default music app/BeyondPod after Go is done loading.

Again, I'm saying that even if a tray player was an option (which it doesn't appear to be), it very likely wouldn't work. Pokemon Go kills any attempt to play music even after the game is open. If I try to hit Play on my BT headphones while Pokemon Go is open, Pokemon Go kills the music a second later. If I switch to my music player or home screen and hit play there, as soon as I switch back to Pokemon Go it kills the music. It is IMPOSSIBLE to play music while I'm in Pokemon Go.

If the game was just killing music on load, but then I could play music after the game has loaded, I would still be angry but much, much less so. I LITERALLY have to choose between listening to music or having Pokemon Go open in the foreground; I cannot have both.

Maedhros

374083-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

They're not as passionate as you anymore?

I mean, sometimes it seems like you live for Pokemon and Nintendo.

I figured they ironed out all the audio issues, but I guess not. The game pauses music while loading for me, but I just have to hit play for it to start back up on both my phones (Nexus 6P and HTC One M something).

That shit infuriated me around launch, but it hasn't been a problem in a long time. Granted, I don't play the game really at all; haven't booted it up since Christmas.

Top Bottom