• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One named top 10 breakthrough products of 2013

statham

Popular Mechanics
Xbox One ($499)
Some products are evolutionary, others are revolutionary. The Xbox One is both. The most notable improvement is the new Kinect sensor, which is integral to the operation of the console. It can see in total darkness, track the fine movements of your hands and muscles, and even sense your heartbeat. Gamers may have taken issue with the Xbox One's price ($500) and paywall restrictions (some features require a $50 per year subscription), but technologically it's a huge upgrade from its predecessor. The platform is so advanced that developers have barely begun to grasp all its possibilities.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/the-10-breakthrough-products-of-2013#slide-9

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Creating all the right noise. Interesting to see how the console fares once the launch hype dies down.

Yep, very interested to see what happens outside of this little bubble people are convinced is the real world.

Kerned

Banned
I think they failed to identify the things that "gamers" actually took issue with. (Most of which are now reversed, granted.)

DeadcatXL

Banned
It can see in total darkness

I would like to see any device/eyeball that can see in total darkness.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Every time a mainstream publication writes anything about Kinect, it always comes off as a Kinect marketing piece from Microsoft's PR agency.

Hanmik

just ahead of this

2BpZiBT.jpg

The most notable improvement is the new Kinect sensor, which is integral to the operation of the console. It can see in total darkness, track the fine movements of your hands and muscles, and even sense your heartbeat.

That's the most notable improvement?

I suppose I was fooling myself thinking it was going to be anything actually useful for gaming that was cited as the most noteworthy thing about the 'bone.

Relax everyone.... Popular Mechanics is just dazzled by the New Kinect Tech. Last PopMech issue I saw was talking about the United States trying to build UFOs in the 60s.... It is full of fluff like this.

It's too bad the least notable improvement is the new GPU.

Hah! I laughed.

I did find this funny as well, " The platform is so advanced that developers have barely begun to grasp all its possibilities."

So advanced, it's almost like with all the DRM stuff - they are ahead of everything. We are not ready.

(I have no problem with Xbox One's place on this list - but it should have been clarified as Kinect 2.0 and I'd agree.)

flkraven

Being that this is a technology publication and not a gaming one, it makes sense mentioning the Xbox One here. PS4 is an amazing piece of hardware, and should win any award that uses gaming graphics as its metric. However, putting aside GPU, you have to admit that the Xbox One's voice commands, Kinect 2.0, snap functionality, and live television integration is pretty cutting edge and there is no consumer box on the market right now that can do what it claims it can do.

I do have to say though that I had to Google 'Does Microsoft own Popular Mechanics' before I typed this. lol

SeanR1221

Yep, very interested to see what happens outside of this little bubble people are convinced is the real world.

Little bubble is a good way of putting it.

I haven't heard a peep about next gen consoles from literally anyone in my personal life outside of a few friends saying they'll get an Xbox one around launch or next year.

Dryk

I looked through that whole list and I couldn't find anything to indicate that the author had used any of the products.

Alx

I would like to see any device/eyeball that can see in total darkness.

It dépends on your definition of "total darkness". You can turn a Kinect on in an environment with no light source at all, and it will still work since it emits its own infrared signals. Of course as soon as it's on and emits those IR, you're technically not in total darkness any more, but the user won't notice.

jond76

Banned
Ya know, for all the "moneyhats" and "beta tested in the future" people make fun of, you can't deny that MS is getting word out, something Sony has yet to begin.

Spend that marketing money, Sony! Its time!

Top Bottom