• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with Yuji Naka?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Ok I know he lefted Sega awhile back to make his own studio prope or something but what the heck has he done since?

I wish he kept at sonic team and Sega developing new titles or making actual good sonic games. To me along with Yu Suzuki, he totally dropped off the radar since the dreamcast failed.

I wish all these forgotten developers could do something with the indie community and make great games again.

RagnarokX

Well, for some reason he was given credit for creating Sonic when he was just lead programmer, and after getting rid of everyone that actually knew how to make good Sonic games and running Sonic into the ground he left to make his own company and still didn't know how to make games.

Well, for some reason he was given credit for creating Sonic when he was just lead programmer, and after getting rid of everyone that actually knew how to make good Sonic games and running Sonic into the ground he left to make his own company and still didn't know how to make games.

Wait, didn't Naka get axed by Sega in Japan, then get hired by Cerny in the US, and go on to make Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles while the other original Sonic team worked on all the shit Sonic games like CD, 3D Blast, and Sonic R?

I would trash Naoto Oshima as the guy who doesn't know how to make games WAY more than Naka.

RagnarokX

Wait, didn't Naka get axed by Sega in Japan, then get hired by Cerny in the US, and go on to make Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles while the other original Sonic team worked on all the shit Sonic games like CD, 3D Blast, and Sonic R?

I would trash Naoto Oshima as the guy who doesn't know how to make games WAY more than Naka.

Naoto Oshima created the character, Yuji Naka did programming, but the real man who made Sonic what it was was Hirokazu Yasuhara.

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) — Game Planner
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) — Game Planner, Object Placement
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer
Sonic & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer

He designed the gameplay and levels. Sonic 2 was designed in the US by Sega Technical Institute. Naka hated working with Americans and for some reason had enough sway with Sega to force them to make Sonic 3 Japanese-only staff. He was producer for Sonic 3 and he felt that after 2 games they'd done enough and wanted to radically change Sonic into something different (which eventually became the awful Sonic 3D Blast) but he relented and made a 2D sidescroller due to pressure from Sega.

Both Oshima and Naka get too much credit. Oshima made Sonic CD without Yasuhara and it shows. Sonic took a major turn for the worse when Naka got more control and Yasuhara left.

The PROPE games I've played have been very good. Fishing Resort in particular was fantastic, but even "smaller" games like Let's Tap, Ivy the Kiwi and Let's Catch were good, decent games worth checking out. I even go as far as saying that Fishing Resort and Monster Manor are the best games that Yuji Naka has worked on.

Naoto Oshima created the character, Yuji Naka did programming, but the real man who made Sonic what it was was Hirokazu Yasuhara.

He designed the gameplay and levels. Sonic 2 was designed in the US by Sega Technical Institute. Naka hated working with Americans and for some reason had enough sway with Sega to force them to make Sonic 3 Japanese-only staff. He was producer for Sonic 3 and he felt that after 2 games they'd done enough and wanted to radically change Sonic into something different (which eventually became the awful Sonic 3D Blast) but he relented and made a 2D sidescroller due to pressure from Sega.

Both Oshima and Naka get too much credit. Oshima made Sonic CD without Yasuhara and it shows. Sonic took a major turn for the worse when Naka got more control and Yasuhara left.
Which leads to the real question,

What's Yasuhara working on these days? I know he was at Naughty Dog for a while, but isn't he at NST now?

IrishNinja

so this is one of those threads where we pretend Naka didn't program the dungeons in Phantasy Star 1 right

for real, i get that he's overcredited on Sonic (despite his contributions) but the backlash seems entirely based on Let's Tap or some shit, the man was difficult to work with no doubt but he had his hand in some absolute classics.

SegaShack

Naka really was a genius programmer. The stuff he did, even for just Sonic 1 should have been impossible. What he accomplished with 3 and Knuckles is just insane. The Sonic games are just flawless in performance, control, speed, collision, etc.

He does not get too much credit because really the games wouldn't even be close to what they are without him.

The PROPE games I've played have been very good. Fishing Resort in particular was fantastic, but even "smaller" games like Let's Tap, Ivy the Kiwi and Let's Catch were good, decent games worth checking out. I even go as far as saying that Fishing Resort and Monster Manor are the best games that Yuji Naka has worked on.

Fishing Resort is a masterpiece. I don't say that with an intention towards hyperbole, I actually mean it. The game is so perfect and so zen. My brother and I played it for so many hours. It's one of my all time favorite Wii games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Who directed Sonic 1/2?

RagnarokX

Naka really was a genius programmer. The stuff he did, even for just Sonic 1 should have been impossible. What he accomplished with 3 and Knuckles is just insane. The Sonic games are just flawless in performance, control, speed, collision, etc.

He does not get too much credit because really the games wouldn't even be close to what they are without him.
Right. He's a great programmer. Designing levels and gameplay... not so much. He's not really the ideas guy. He gets too much credit because he gets credit for the whole shebang. Where Sonic went to shit is when the guy who was in charge of the gameplay and level design and overall concepts left and Naka and Iizuka were put in charge.

Who directed Sonic 1/2?

According to Wikipedia:

Sonic 1: Yasuhara
Sonic 2: Masaharu Yoshii

Sonic 1 doesn't really credit a director, and Game Planner Yasuhara is the first credit in the game. Yasuhara is also Game Planner for Sonic 2, but his credit was moved to after Lead Programmer Naka. And then Naka got the producer promotion for Sonic 3 by holding out on working on the project and demanding the promotion and Japanese-only staff.

Top Bottom