• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Symphony of the Night

D.Lo

So after a few years I played through SOTN again, the Japanese PS1 version. Original disc, on original PS1 via RGB to PVM (CRT)

This was my third playthrough. I originally did a 201% run on the PAL version at release, and sometime about 10 years ago played through the Saturn version.

Best Version
Japanese PS1 is imo the ultimate version because it has the best cover and disc art, doesn't have the horrible/hilarious English voice acting, and also doesn't have the performance and graphical issues of the Saturn version (the Saturn version's biggest sin isn't the slowdown or effects IMO, it's that the map screen isn't an instant single button press away). The PSP version is a blurry scaled mess with crap sound effects and equally poor voice acting to the original so it isn't in contention either.

I played it directly after a 100% playthrough of Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo, and shortly after a recent played through of Super Metroid. So in a lot of ways I played comparing it to those games.

My conclusion: SOTN is a beautifully presented, detail packed, dull game with pretty poor overall game design.

It's a 6.5/10 game dressed up as an 10/10 game. Ultimate result is an 8/10 game. It's a good experience, but not because it's a good game. When compared to the genius design of Super Metroid, it falls way, way short.

Mechanics
Character movement at first seems nice. Very fluid. But the whole mechanical design is a misinterpretation of satisfying combat and platforming mechanics. It's a stark contrast from Rondo, whose mechanics, like all good action games, mean you need to find patterns in boss and enemy behaviours you can exploit with the abilities you have available. Limited attack and movement options are part of that strategy. Enemies and environments are puzzles and dexterity challenges at the same time.

SOTN on the other hand has partly turned combat into mindless grinding hack and slash. Slash/retreat. Getting through a room of igors and platforms required perfect timing in the classic games. Here you can accurately slash as many times as necessary to defeat them along the plain flat floor. Many enemies you simply stand in front of and slash slash slash, maybe dodge once if there's no save room nearby.

The RPG elements also ruin combat, which leads me to...

RPG stuff
The RPG stuff like levelling and item collection appeals to the collector freaks in us, but is superfluous clutter that prohibits it from being a tightly designed game.

Why are there items to give you extra health (like Metroid) and also experience health boosts? That's really demonstrative of the cluttered design, one is about the design syncing your power level and progress, the other negates that.

The levelling completely breaks the game. The only way to stay weak enough that you can't simply cheese your way through every boss is to avoid attacking enemies. Maybe later bosses are cleverly designed so you have to exploit weak spots and move in patterns to avoid their attacks? Hard to know because by the time you get to them you can just slash away with minimal strategy.

The combat just isn't fun in-and-of itself, simple as that.

Now when it comes to all the collectable items, it adds content but also adds pointlessness. There are some nice 'toys' (eg shields and shield rod, swords with special moves) but in terms of the actual game, at any point you really just want the best armour and weapon. This beautiful game and you spend a chunk of it in an ugly windows 3.1 menu screen checking which numbers are higher.

'Event items' like the two rings, and spike armour are the closest thing this system has to integration with the actual main game design, and that's clunky as hell - add an item in an ugly menu to act as the key? Most abilities are also transparently just keys as well, none have much in the way of combat use. There are only a couple of times where you completely open up areas now you have a new ability (flying is really the only one). By comparison, Metroid games constantly tease you with inaccessible parts of areas, completely changing your perspective on the same areas later in the game when you return with more equipment.

The Inverted Castle.
The inverted castle is garbage. At first it seems like 'oh my god the game is twice the length' but it's really just the last quarter. It's clearly a sloppy last minute addition because they had some extra enemies/bosses left, as the layouts have not been designed to navigate well when upside down - you often jump up into a room only to hit a block and fall back down, and hence stuff like the clunky additional platforms in save rooms. And you already have all your navigation abilities (flying etc) so there are no extra 'doors' that need new 'keys'.

But the level design, from a gameplay (not graphical) perspective is also pretty bad in the regular castle. Well, extremely bland at least. Corridors and stairs actually feel like a chore to navigate, since all they have become are passages to new places with some enemies strewn throughout, not traps/challenges like in good action games (i.e. most classic Castlevanias). You move quite slowly, much more slowly than in say Super Metroid (wolf running isn't integrated to work in the environments anywhere near as well as speed boots, and involves a state change animation so mostly isn't worth it.). The items that act as keys are in most cases just keys - mist has basically no use outside of getting past a grate, might as well be a 'red key' or whatever, and there's actually an item called 'jewel of open' for gods sake.

Just like combat, moving around just isn't fun.

There's lots of other stupid stuff too. Why the hell is Dracula old instead of young, in an otherwise slavish recreation of the final battle on Rondo? Why the change of art style from that game, anime to sort of classical (the same poor decision made in reverse in Dawn of Sorrow)? Why the pointless (and hideous) CGI FMV intro and interludes, clearly tacked on at the last minute. And why the Kenny G sax solo 80s turd of an ending song, completely mismatched to the rest of the game and soundtrack?

What's good?
The graphics, apart from the poorly palette swapped inverted caste, are some of the best sprite work of this type ever, great animation, lots of nice effects. The music, apart from repeating themes in the inverted castle, is great. It's pleasant enough to slash your way through an army of enemies, even though you're overpowered constantly. It's borderline like a Dynasty Warriors thing.

It's a good overall experience. It was and still is great to see so many classic CV enemies again (eg Slorga), it's a borderline Castlevania encyclopaedia in some ways.

It has the graphics, it has the music, it has the content, it just has no compelling game design.

This is a game you play to see and hear all the stuff, not to appreciate satisfying combat or platforming, or clever level design, because there is very little of those. Compared with the perfect integration of all parts of the game it aped, Super Metroid, it falls way short.

It's still a good experience, just not great game.

I haven't commented on all the other Metroidvanias, but they have similar issues of level design and RPG elements breaking the Metroid structure. I'd revisit them, but I never even finished POR and haven't played OOE because I was bored of mindless corridor 'exploring' just to see nice sprite graphics.

TL;DR: Symphony of the Night is an amazing looking and sounding wrapper over a weak Super Metroid clone core.

Xeno_V

I totally agree with you OP, for the exact reasons that you mention I also believe that SOTN is flawed in certain ways, and despite being a good game overall I still don't understand how many people consider it the best Metroidvania. Super Metroid is designed in a much smarter way, and when it comes to Castlevania games in particular I believe that Rondo of Blood offers the most balanced gameplay experience of all the games in the series.

D.Lo

Ha, I was expecting backlash, not agreement! Yes I agree, Rondo is something special.

It's kind of funny, the game was definitely a breath of fresh air when released, and would have been cool as a one off. But of course Igarashi is legendary for his awful level design, and he was just aping SoTN.

I might try Circle of the Moon again, it has some pretty budget animation, but as the only 'Metroidvania' not in the SoTN linage it might have a chance at better design. Certainly the cards are a cleaner system.

The RPG stuff like levelling and item collection appeals to the collector freaks in us, but is superfluous clutter that prohibits it from being a tightly designed game.
I disagree, that "superfluous clutter" is why I loved Symphony of the Night. I completed it up to 205.3% and I still couldn't get enough of it.

monlo

when you compare a game to the best game of all time, of course it pales in comparison. Don't agree with you OP because your entire premise is flawed.

Also, the rpg elements were literally the first time a game has been designed this way. And the fact that many still consider it the best one should probably indicate that it was done "tighter" than you think. But, opinions, right?

I love the game but the inverted castle is pretty poor, it's like an awkward to traverse novelty where enemy damage output just goes all over the place.

I don't think it has nearly as tight design as Super Metroid yet I still like it more all the same. Though as far as game balance goes I'd say that Order of Ecclesia manages to do a good job keeping the difficulty curve within the levelling up system, certainly better than SotN.

Hesemonni

Banned
Everytime I see the game mentioned I'm tempted to buy the game on Vita, but then remember it's an awful 50Hz version.

I wonder how is SOTN in Draxula X Chronicles?

SotN pulls off the desired atmosphere just as well as Super Metroid, and that's the most important part of both games. You say you like the Japanese version because of the voice acting, and I think you're missing out on a key campiness component of SotN that makes it stand out.

Also, for some, the rpg elements and the richter run through add a huge amount of replayability that Metroid doesn't have.

I think they're both some of the best games ever, but they're not fit for comparison because they aren't trying for the same thing.

I just played SotN for the first time this month without any pretext or expectations. I was amazed and it is easily in my top five favorite games of all time.

I beat Richter in the throne room at 98.6% and assumed I just had a couple minor things I missed and looked up what they were. I assumed it was just the relics I missed. In my reading, I keep seeing references to the "inverted castle" that I don't understand.

Imagine my surprise when I find the game actually goes beyond 200% and I had literally 100% more game to play. It blew my mind.

I had found the gold and silver rings, but I found them late in my plate through and I had already found what I thought were the secrets in the clock tower and thought they were there to point people towards something I already found.

I just couldn't get over that I played and loved a game with a nearly 100% completion, got a cutscene, got unskippable credits, and would have put the game down there and never even known I was only halfway done. I imagined being a kid in 1997 and being told "there is a secret room under the clock tower and the game actually goes to 200.6%! There's a whole upside down version of the castle!"

I wouldn't have believed them. Like, yeah right buddy, and Mew is under the truck.

I have never had a gaming experience as truly wondrous as SotN, which I don't think has aged a day.

Imagine my distress now that I'm trying to play Rondo of Blood.

Although the I will agree there are a lot of superfluous items. Consumable weapons are basically useless when you only have one of them. I also had enough money for the Damascus by the time I reached the library, so virtually every sword I found (and there are A LOT) until the endgame was useless.

Tizoc

Everytime I see the game mentioned I'm tempted to buy the game on Vita, but then remember it's an awful 50Hz version.

I wonder how is SOTN in Draxula X Chronicles?

It has the JP audio, meaning Norio Wakamoto as Dracula. The PSP ver. is closer to the JP ver. from what I recall.
Just get a clear save file and put into your Vita and play SotN or OG Rondo of Blood.

angelic

Banned
OP is plain wrong..6.5 game dressed up? No. I was there at the time, Japanese original disc, long before the US translation, on an RGB PS1 on a CRT. Minds were blown.

angelic

Banned
Rondo is beautifully pure, beat it last year for the first time and had a great time. Then again with Maria.

must be like going from DMC2 to the original

The biggest thing that impedes my enjoyment of Rondo is Richter's incredibly limited and laggy movement.

Playing SotN, I was so impressed with how much control you had over Alucard. His backdash gives you so many options for both forward and backward motion, his double jump and gravity boots enable nearly everything accessible, and he as as maneuverable in the air as he is on the ground. With his transformations, there is nothing stopping you from moving anywhere and way you want to.

Richter in Rondo moves very slowly in this bizarre fast-walk that is outsped by most enemies, his jumps are fixed distances that cannot be reversed or canceled, he is punished for landing, he is punished for attacking, and I find myself playing the same level over and over again getting killed by enemies that feel unavoidable.

I am putting in a lot of effort to enjoy the game.

Respawn

Banned
I must have ended this game probably 50x. With an exploration of over 200%. Yes you can go outside the inverted castle.

The biggest thing that impedes my enjoyment of Rondo is Richter's incredibly limited and laggy movement.

Playing SotN, I was so impressed with how much control you had over Alucard. His backdash gives you so many options for both forward and backward motion, his double jump and gravity boots enable nearly everything accessible, and he as as maneuverable in the air as he is on the ground. With his transformations, there is nothing stopping you from moving anywhere and way you want to.

Richter in Rondo moves very slowly in this bizarre fast-walk that is outsped by most enemies, his jumps are fixed distances that cannot be reversed or canceled, he is punished for landing, he is punished for attacking, and I find myself playing the same level over and over again getting killed by enemies that feel unavoidable.

I am putting in a lot of effort to enjoy the game.

You've got to try and change your mindset on how to approach the classic CV style games.
The rigid and fixed movements are fully intentional and the game is in fact still designed around this. While SotN and its counterparts off your freedom with your movement to adapt on the fly the older games are very deliberate, you have to plan and commit to each action, trying to rush through tends to make things worse.

You've got to try and change your mindset on how to approach the classic CV style games.
The rigid and fixed movements are fully intentional and the game is in fact still designed around this. While SotN and its counterparts off your freedom with your movement to adapt on the fly the older games are very deliberate, you have to plan and commit to each action, trying to rush through tends to make things worse.

So I am learning.

I am trying to defeat the Bone Golem in Stage 2, and I certainly understand exactly what I need to do to defeat him. But actually reaching him is extremely difficult. As soon as I reach the underground portion of the level with the Mermen and the flying eyeballs it's a crap shoot. I can't stand still or Mermen knock me into the water, and I can't just move forward because then the multiple eyeballs build up and it's a chore to eliminate even one of them.

I either get knocked into the water with full health or am repeatedly sucker-punched by an eyeball when I am trying to eliminate the Merman threat.

Ultimately, it's not difficult to figure out what I need to actually do in most situations. But I have so much difficulty getting Richter to do what I want to do.

I also keep back flipping to my death because my muscle memory is trying to make me double jump. I am a loser.

Molemitts

I've been playing this for the first time and I want to say this is really one of the best games I've ever played... Until you get to the inverted Castle, that's one of the most tedious things I've ever experienced. It's completely ruining the game for me. I was having so much fun and it's just gone, dead.

I honestly would have put this as possibly my second favourite game of all time, but they completely destroyed any fun I was having with the inverted castle and I'm so upset about that. I hate it so much, way to ruin a perfect game. I was gonna write a thread about how badly it ruined my experience but I can't really put my full disappointment into words. It just really upsets me.

Was the PSP version a scaled mess? I seem to remember playing it with screen borders turned on that preserved the original resolution...but it has been several years.

I've been playing this for the first time and I want to say this is really one of the best games I've ever played... Until you get to the inverted Castle, that's one of the most tedious things I've ever experienced. It's completely ruining the game for me. I was having so much fun and it's just gone, dead.

I honestly would have put this as possibly my second favourite game of all time, but they completely destroyed any fun I was having with the inverted castle and I'm so upset about that. I hate it so much, way to ruin a perfect game. I was gonna write a thread about how badly it ruined my experience but I can't really put my full disappointment into words. It just really upsets me.

It's funny, because I felt that way initially. It felt like a lazy way to inflate the game in an unintuitive way because the layout of the castle is absolutely not designed to be upside down. Jumping from one platform to the next is difficult because the platforms aren't spaced properly inverted.

But eventually, after the first few bosses and all the new, exciting, and interesting enemy designs, I let go of this notion. It no longer felt this way. It felt bizarre, but it felt FUN. I found myself looking forward to rooms I had visited before to see how they changed upside down. You get have to get through those first few sections with the Medusa Heads, I think. Eventually it feels so much more natural. The inverted castle is now my favorite part of the game and, replaying SotN, I imagine I will be anxious just to get to the second castle as quickly as possible.

Aesnath

I feel like comparing it to super metriod is always going to leave it wanting. But, comparing nearly anything to super metroid will have the same effect. SotN is far from perfect, but it is really something special. I feel like it does the whole metroid-like-adventure better than nearly anything other than super metroid, which is saying something.

I've played US playstation, JP Saturn, and the chronicles of blood version on PSP. The PSP version is serviceable for anyone interested--and you get to play rondo of blood, which is great (not as great a version as the PC Engine, but good nonetheless).

Molemitts

It's funny, because I felt that way initially. It felt like a lazy way to inflate the game in an unintuitive way because the layout of the castle is absolutely not designed to be upside down. Jumping from one platform to the next is difficult because the platforms aren't spaced properly inverted.

But eventually, after the first few bosses and all the new, exciting, and interesting enemy designs, I let go of this notion. It no longer felt this way. It felt bizarre, but it felt FUN. I found myself looking forward to rooms I had visited before to see how they changed upside down. You get have to get through those first few sections with the Medusa Heads, I think. Eventually it feels so much more natural.

I'm trying to enjoy it, I really am. I don't want the game to do this to me, but it's not just the platforming that they've fucked up, the enemy encounters all seem like garbage too. They seems to just group loads of enemies together without any regard for what would actually be a fun way to fight them. I feel myself relying on the mist from way to much instead of actually having fun with the combat.

I'm trying to enjoy it, I really am. I don't want the game to do this to me, but it's not just the platforming that they've fucked up, the enemy encounters all seem like garbage too. They seems to just group loads of enemies together without any regard for what would actually be a fun way to fight them. I feel myself relying on the mist from way to much instead of actually having fun with the combat.

Something to note is that you level up WAY WAY faster in the inverted castle. Just a handful of enemies is going to level you up and you will get EXPONENTIALLY more powerful very quickly and soon will be able to cut nearly every enemy down in one hit.

Then it doesn't matter how many enemies are in one room because you are an unstoppable badass.

It might be worth grinding a little if you've been skipping enemies. Watch your XP, you get hundreds of experience per enemy versus 4 or 8.

Molemitts

Something to note is that you level up WAY WAY faster in the inverted castle. Just a handful of enemies is going to level you up and you will get EXPONENTIALLY more powerful very quickly and soon will be able to cut nearly every enemy down in one hit.

Then it doesn't matter how many enemies are in one room because you are an unstoppable badass.

It might be worth grinding a little if you've been skipping enemies. Watch your XP, you get hundreds of experience per enemies versus 4 or 8.

Is there a recommended order to do each part in? I'll probably at least try to finish the game, I got kinda distracted with Majora's Mask, though. I haven't been skipping that much, just the that area with the annoying floor traps, I might just grind for a bit if I really have to.

Is there a recommended order to do each part in? I'll probably at least try to finish the game, I got kinda distracted with Majora's Mask, though. I haven't been skipping that much, just the that area with the annoying floor traps, I might just grind for a bit if I really have to.

Personally, I played Outer Wall and it's adjoining sections like the Long Library first, and they felt like the most difficult. But I don't know if that's because I wasn't a juggernaut yet. Once you get to the central castle and most of the early-game sections the castle feels way more natural because it's mostly corridors or straight vertical sections that you don't even notice are upside down.

Molemitts

Personally, I played Outer Wall and it's adjoining sections like the Long Library first, and they felt like the most difficult. But I don't know if that's because I wasn't a juggernaut yet. Once you get to the central castle and most of the early-game sections the castle feels way more natural because it's mostly corridors or straight vertical sections that you don't even notice are upside down.

I went the other way first and found that to be quite challenging. I went to the Outer Wall area but found that to be more manageable, maybe I'll just head back in the other direction now.

Hi OP,
curious to know if you could also include your review but if you played as richter for the very first time.
when I got the game my friend lend me his ps and he already had beat the game.

I remember the game being challenging trying to get a max map via richter.

I went the other way first and found that to be quite challenging. I went to the Outer Wall area but found that to be more manageable, maybe I'll just head back in the other direction now.

I think part of the problem with being thrown into the Inverted Castle is that regular castle, even with an open-map, has a very organic progression and difficulty curve. It's an educated and hospitable adventure that doesn't leave you regularly frustrated once Alucard begins to power up.

But I don't know about you, but I had a hugely difficult time beating the first boss. Alucard was really weak, dealt little damage and took major damage, and the actual combat wasn't fun because I didn't really know how to fight the boss elegantly.

The Inverted Castle sort of felt like that at first. The enemies were much stronger and attacked in strange ways. Those green Nova Skeletons that shoot huge beams that do ludicrous damage? I thought that was so cheap. All the skills and strength I had acquired during the hospitable progression of the regular castle were suddenly compromised. For the first time since the beginning of the game, I felt disempowered. Even platforms were hard to reach now, so navigation was hard in a way it hadn't been since before I got the Leap Stone.

But just like the real beginning of the game, only faster, Alucard gets much more capable and so do you as a player. You really see how far you come when you find some enemies later that used to take you a half a dozen hits to kill falling after just one or two.

D.Lo

must be like going from DMC2 to the original
Rondo is the better game though...

And at the very least they are completely different styles of game and not in any way directly comparable like DMC1/2.

OP is plain wrong..6.5 game dressed up? No. I was there at the time, Japanese original disc, long before the US translation, on an RGB PS1 on a CRT. Minds were blown.
You played the Japanese game 'long before' the US version, which came out six months later?

I dressed this in the OP, it's actually what makes Rondo (and other good classic action games) good, and SoTN bad on an action level. Rondo has well thought out action and level design that take into account your abilities. SoTN is basically slash slash slash, it's more like a side-view dungeon crawler than an action platformer.

Was the PSP version a scaled mess? I seem to remember playing it with screen borders turned on that preserved the original resolution...but it has been several years.
It's scaled up to match the screen size, even with borders, and done worse than even the exact PS1 game running on PSP. Looks blurry. Also the sound effects are ruined in it.

when you compare a game to the best game of all time, of course it pales in comparison. Don't agree with you OP because your entire premise is flawed.
The premise was just reviewing the game.
Fairly natural to compare it to the game it aped. Especially when you have threads like this one where a third of people think a SoTN is the better game.

Hi OP,
curious to know if you could also include your review but if you played as richter for the very first time.
when I got the game my friend lend me his ps and he already had beat the game.

I remember the game being challenging trying to get a max map via richter.
I didn't bother with Richter this time. Did a max map play through with Richter on my original run through, and did a Maria run through on the Saturn version (and a bit of a Maria run through on the PSP version - much worse, Maria on Saturn uses kung-fu moves!). But It's really just a novelty honestly.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I haven't commented on all the other Metroidvanias, but they have similar issues of level design and RPG elements breaking the Metroid structure. I'd revisit them, but I never even finished POR and haven't played OOE because I was bored of mindless corridor 'exploring' just to see nice sprite graphics.

I think you should play Order of Ecclesia. It's designed pretty differently than the Castlevanias before it. It's not huge on platforming, but there's much more challenge in combat. To fight effectively, you have to find a rhythm to your attacks, and manage MP as though it's were a stamina meter.

I wouldn't call it a novelty.
playing as Richter the very first time you play csotn it's a very interesting experience, especially back in the 90s, no game faqs no nothing.

But I guess you had to be there, I've yet to find someone who experienced the game as I did.

LeleSocho

Banned
The only negative aspect that i agree with you is the uselessness of the inverted castle, it really adds nothing and feels like a chore to navigate... Harmony of Dissonance did the whole specular/inverted castle thing much much better but the game is pretty much universally hated so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of agree. This is a game that's more than the sum of its parts. Its beautiful 2d sprites and incredible soundtrack elevate it to heights it would not get to on level design and gameplay alone. It's one of my favorite games, but even I would agree it's due to the overall experience, not necessarily the gameplay. Style over substance to a degree. Super Metroid is without a doubt the superior game.

angelic

Banned
You played the Japanese game 'long before' the US version, which came out six months later?

yes i did, i was there at launch for the japanese import when no one knew anything about it, never mind an inverted castle. amazing game, shame youd rather bash it than appreciate it.

entremet

Great review, D.Lo.

It's one of my favorite on the PS1, but I do agree with you regarding the game gameplay. The game never brings enemies that can match your powers and mobility, so the game is rather easy.

I also prefer its prequel, Rondo of Blood. Ritcher is not a OP as Alucard and the enemies have more options than you so encounters are a challenge.

yes i did, i was there at launch for the japanese import when no one knew anything about it, never mind an inverted castle. amazing game, shame youd rather bash it than appreciate it.

We gotta get away from this "only one opinion is valid" nonsense.

The OP provided strong reasons why he thought the game was 8/10, which is a positive score last time I heard. He's not bashing it.

angelic

Banned
6.5 game dressed up ..and a list of complaints.

im not saying it cannot be given other opinions, but im tired of boring RTTP posts bashing classics, its up there with mario 64 in the speedrunning popularity, the graphics would still look good now (that style doesnt age for me), the music is sublime, its a nigh on perfect game of its type.

entremet

im not saying it cannot be given other opinions, but im tired of boring RTTP posts bashing classics, its up there with mario 64 in the speedrunning popularity, the graphics would still look good now (that style doesnt age for me), the music is sublime, its a nigh on perfect game of its type.

But he's justifying his reasons. Those aren't complaints. Those are points, which he clarified.

If he just posted, "SOTN sucks!" and left at that then it's bashing.

The game being generally well received doesn't mean someone can't look it at critically.

angelic

Banned
He clarifies things yes, but i still think he gets it all wrong. This is a 20 year old almost game loved and revered throughout the world. I think almost all of his reasons are wrong, i'll leave it at that.

Certainly not a boring RTTP thread, even if my stance on the game is much more positive overall I appreciate that OP took the time to detail what they felt didn't work about the game as well as what they did like. No delving into mass hyperbole or anything either, some of those negative points I understand completely.
Being considered a classic doesn't make a game untouchable.

SoTN is my favorite game of all time (Well, tied with Super Metroid), but I'm more or less inclined to agree with your points. Great writeup. Rondo definitely has enemy design that challenges you, whereas Alucard can more or less outmaneuver anything SoTN throws at him.

OP actually addressed his issues with the game and detailed how that factored into his opinion. I don't see how that's bashing.

Played this game for the first time in 2012. While not being my favorite genre at all it ended up in my top 5 of all-time. Awesome music (one of the best OST's ever imho), gameplay, design and voice acting so bad it's good.

A perfect package with no flaws

11/10

I agree with pretty much everything the OP said, but I guess I just get more inherent utility out of discovering new areas and unlocking new areas to explore. Honestly, if the combat in SOTN was actually difficult, I think I'd have quit playing because it would have frustrated the hell out of me.

Neith

Banned

Last time I tried this game in the emulator from the x remake it didn't run right. I would like to try it out again at some point. Wonder if it will work okay now that the emu has been updated a lot.

Not a great game is pushing it though. No one is really going to accept that. It's still a great game with a couple flaws is all.

The game is terrific and one of my all time favourite but I'm not blind to its shortcomings and to the fact that Metroidvanias have come a long way since then, especially with the indie resurgence in the past years. Hollow Knight is better game game. Ori and Axiom Verge are up there too.

nelo_inc

I agree that the Japanese audio is a must for this game, having played the PAL version first i was so glad that i later played the PS1 Undub version.

I can see why OP could reach that conclusion and I even agree with some of the criticisms, yet it's one of my most re-played, and just flat-out played, games of all time and it's an absolute joy every single time.

At that point logic flies out of the window for me and I just can't call it anything but a 10/10 game. My follow-up would be Castlevania III in the series. I've always really liked Rondo, but it never "clicked" with me nearly as much as III or SOTN.

Question: Does the Japanese version have a better audio mix? One of my only real issues with the game is that the music tracks are mixed entirely too low with no option to increase volume.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I bought it when it came out and gaming was full of Resident Evils and similar voice acting, but I never thought the English language track was particularly bad. It's cheesy in a very endearing way to me.

Top Bottom