• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesCom 2010 Schedule

Xater

Rapping Granny said:
Which conferences are on for today? And when is the Sony one?

MS is going on right now but there seems to be nothing.

EA at 4 pm local time

Sony at 7 pm local time

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Yoostar" for Kinnect announced according to VG247.

So fucking exciting !!

:-/

EVIL

Xater said:
Yes.

MS didn't have muchto show at E3 so don't expect more here.
to bad tho, the e3 conference they did was pretty weak imo, would have been nice for them to release some cool new stuff.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
EVIL said:
to bad tho, the e3 conference they did was pretty weak imo, would have been nice for them to release some cool new stuff.

I'm surprised they're not announcing new Kinect games. We should have visibility going into early next year this stage, but we still know practically nothing beyond the launch titles (Child of Eden and one or two others aside).

TheOddOne

gofreak said:
I'm surprised they're not announcing new Kinect games. We should have visibility going into early next year this stage, but we still no practically nothing beyond the launch titles (Child of Eden and one or two others aside).
Guess they are focused on getting ready for the launch of Kinect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheOddOne said:
Guess they are focused on getting ready for the launch of Kinect.

Yeah, but part of launching a new platform is showing you its future. After its first month or whatever it's just fog right now. It's unusual.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh I just realized, Child of Eden must be a retail game because XBLA games aren't allowed to use Kinetic. That is pretty crazy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did the Microsoft one start already?

Also, I'm assuming the EA and Sony ones are being shown today, correct?

Elios83

ULTROS! said:
Did the Microsoft one start already?

Also, I'm assuming the EA and Sony ones are being shown today, correct?

2 hours left for the EA conference and 4 hours left for the Sony conference.
Microsoft event should be already over.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will the EA/Sony Conference Megathread be here or will someone make a new thread?

ULTROS!

I guess I can call dibs on the Sony thread, I've got nothing to do. :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Even the one thing I thought is new wasn't :lol

MS's really lost track of "press conferences" in 2010.

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
I'm surprised they're not announcing new Kinect games. We should have visibility going into early next year this stage, but we still know practically nothing beyond the launch titles (Child of Eden and one or two others aside).

I really think Microsoft may be releasing a new console sooner than we think, think about it, at E3 all Microsoft announced was Kingdoms and the Kinect casual fest, they have practically been a no show at Gamescom, while sony have announced, Motorstorm 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Ratchet Co-op, Sly collection, inFamous 2, Twisted Metal and some decent move titles like Heroes on the Move, Virtua Tennis 4 and LittleBigPlanet 2.

[Nintex]

KAL2006 said:
I really think Microsoft may be releasing a new console sooner than we think, think about it, at E3 all Microsoft announced was Kingdoms and the Kinect casual fest, they have practically been a no show at Gamescom, while sony have announced, Motorstorm 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Ratchet Co-op, Sly collection, inFamous 2, Twisted Metal and some decent move titles like Heroes on the Move, Virtua Tennis 4 and LittleBigPlanet 2.
I think the problem is that they've ran out of developers. There's only like a slight chance that Rare will have a more impressive title like Perfect Dark 2 or Kameo ready for next fall. That leaves them with Forza 4, Gears 3 the 343 Studios Halo game and Kingdoms.

We don't know anything about the state of Wingnut Interactive, Silicon Knights or the recently formed Firebird studios and Alan Wake 2 hasn't been greenlit yet.

El-Suave

KAL2006 said:

Where should all the new games for a new console come from? Developers are complaining about costs and risks right now, it would be even worse with a new hardware to learn and a smaller install base.
360 still is selling lots and lots of games, perhaps more than Microsoft even imagined going into this generation. Why should they give that up when there are no real signs that them scaling back their first party development has hurt them? They're doing great in two key markets and I doubt they'll crack Japan or parts of Europe with their next system. Kinect gives them a much better shot to do better in those markets than a new system would in my opinion. Why not try that first?

Edit: Also them not doing all that much at Gamescom is traditional. Their Gamescom activity is mostly decided by their PR company in the US I've read. If it weren't for Kinect and the great chance to show it there, their presence would be much smaller I think.

EVIL

chandoog said:
Umm, there were threads for the Sony/EA conferences when they were actually HAPPENING.
an official large gamescom2010 thread would be nice, just like last years

chandoog said:
Even the one thing I thought is new wasn't :lol

MS's really lost track of "press conferences" in 2010.

It started in 2009 actually. I remember that a GamesCom press conference was cancelled at the last moment to be replaced by a Lionhead event (Fable III announcement)

Seriously, does MS still care about core gaming or what ? 2011 is almost empty, they need new games and also new IPs. This was the right moment to announce at least one new exclusive game.

[Nintex said:
I think the problem is that they've ran out of developers.

It's Microsoft. They have money. Developers can be bought, assembled or whatever.

KAL2006

Banned
LordPhoque said:
It started in 2009 actually. I remember that a GamesCom press conference was cancelled at the last moment to be replaced by a Lionhead event (Fable III announcement)

Seriously, does MS still care about core gaming or what ? 2011 is almost empty, they need new games and also new IPs. This was the right moment to announce at least one new exclusive game.

It's Microsoft. They have money. Developers can be bought, assembled or whatever.

2010 isnt looking as great as Sony as well, they had Crackdown 2 (which wasnt all that), Mass Effect 2 (which we now know is time exclusive) and Halo Reach and Fable 3 are on there way, where as Sony had GoW3, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3, Modnation (which wasnt all that) and Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Sly Collection on their way.

KAL2006 said:
2010 isnt looking as great as Sony as well, they had Crackdown 2 (which wasnt all that), Mass Effect 2 (which we now know is time exclusive) and Halo Reach and Fable 3 are on there way, where as Sony had GoW3, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3, Modnation (which wasnt all that) and Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Sly Collection on their way.

I don't know, personnally I don't like this year for Sony, I won't buy anything this fall except maybe GT5, and I only bought GOW3 for now. Waiting for a pricedrop for Heavy Rain because I disliked every other QD game. The rest is just not for me (didn't like LBP, modnation demo was awful, first Yakuza is one of the most boring games I've ever played)
On the other hand, I'm interested in Halo Reach and I loved Alan Wake (played ME2 on PC). Fable III could be appealing to me, it depends on the release date for the PC version. So, I must say it was a good year for Microsoft in terms of exclusive, nothing impressive in terms of quantity, but those were good games, and honestly I can't think of a year with more than 3 exclusives for 360/PS3/Wii I loved during this generation.
Problem is Microsoft seems to be much more focused on Kinect right now...
Sony has a good 2011 line-up. Apart from TLG, nothing stellar to me, but I'm also anticipating Infamous 2. Solid line-up really, pretty much like this year for Microsoft to me. Microsoft line-up for 2011 is almost empty for now. It's Gears of war 3 and that's it. I don't think that Project Kingdom will be released in 2011, and we don't even know what it is yet.

Spending time in the Microsoft booth I was really impressed with the games shown. Which many are multiplatform it was great to have them all within reach of each other. Enslaved, Force Unleashed 2, Castlevania, Fable III, Halo Reach, Hydrophobia, and the amazing looking Vanquish.

I was also impressed with Kinect Sports. It looks pretty great and you can tell that Rare put a lot of work into the presentation and design of it. It may be smoke and mirrors for how integrated Kinect is in the design but what I saw of people playing it it was working pretty well.

Today I'll take a better walk through the Sony area than I did yesterday. I did however see LBP2 and GT5 being played. I want to get into the area of the booth for older audiences.

The Nintendo area is nice enough with Metroid, Kirby, Tetris, Wii Party, and Donkey Kong available for play. I'll go hands on with a few of those today. Not sure if I'll wait in line for Zelda.

ULTROS!

Here are the Gamescom 2010 winners: http://www.cynamite.de/gamescom-201...5-zum-besten-Spiel-der-Messe-gewaehlt-767420/

Nominees:
lherre said:
2jha3s.jpg

Winners:
Best of Gamescom: Gran Turismo 5
Hardware Accessories: PlayStation Move
Best Console Game: Gran Turismo 5
Best Mobile Game: Super Scribblenauts
Best Online Game: Guild Wars 2
Best PC game: Crysis 2
Best of Family Entertainment: Epic Kirby's Yarn

TimmiT

I had a pretty awesome time at Gamescom.
Too bad I didn't pay enough attention at the Microsoft booth, I could have checked out Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Vanquish if I did.

El-Suave

Gamescom seemed much better this year as far as news and announcements go. The show seems to be really benefiting from the fuller release calendar, especially for the first quarter of the following year.

TGS might score big with The Last Guardian news, maybe even PSP2 who knows, but as far as general relevance goes, this seems to have been a big step in the right direction.

GC|Simon

Since I can't find a offical thread or something like that... I use this one for my impressions (already postet in the old gamescom 2009 thread, sorry for that!!):

I visited the gamescom yesterday. A video compilation from me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-PC7MI0SDs

Also some impressions I want to post on my blog soon:

My buzzer rang at 4 am. I had to stand up early to get to Europe's biggest fair about computer and video games. The fair is located in Cologne which is about 300 kilometers away from my home. However, travelling with German railways was quite fast. A few hours and three train switches later I arrived at the fairground where the general mood already was great. I waited with tons of other people in front of hall nine for the official opening of the fair at 10 am.

After the opening of the fair I quickly went to Nintendo's booth in hall eight to get my hands on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword which will be released in 2011 worldwide. I waited exactly one hour to play the game for about five minutes. However, my waiting time was quite short compared to the one of the people who wanted to play the game five minutes later on one of the four consoles that were provided by Nintendo. They had to wait up to three hours. Yep, the waiting queue was that long. Link's latest adventure feeled exactly as expected. The motion control worked fine, but in my opinion, the look is horrible. I was not hyped before playing the demo and I am not hyped after playing the demo. After playing Zelda I looked around at Nintendo's booth. There were tons of people everywhere. I decided not to wait another hour to play Metroid: Other M since the game will be released in a couple of days in Germany and I already preordered it. However, my brother played it instead of Zelda early in the morning and said it feels very good. I waited to play Disney Epic Mickey but the guy in front of me did not stop to play the game which pissed me off a little bit if I'm honest. Since the demo seemed to be exactly the one from E3 which I already knew from several walkthrough videos I walked away. The game itself looked not spectacular but cool. Since it is from Warren Spector (the dude behind the legendary Deus Ex) nothing can go wrong with it - hopefully. My clock told me that it was 11.30 am and I was very thirsty and hungry. So I looked around for something to drink and eat and finally got half a pizza, apple cake and 0,4 liters of cola and fanta for a little bit too much money. The catering was really disappointing.

However, after the short break I went into hall six where I found the two biggest publishers of the biz, Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts. Take Two and Bethesda also were there. Diablo III, Mafia II, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and a lot more - everything was playable if you were willed to wait at least one hour. I was not willed to wait that long to play games that most likely feel like their predecessors. However, my brother thought that he has to check out Crysis 2 and waited more than one hour for 15 minutes gameplay. Meanwhile, I went into hall seven to check out Sony's PlayStation Move.

I played several Move games. One was something like a fun racer with an office chair. The game itself is fun for three minutes and does not allow a real opinion about the quality of motion recognition of Move. After that, I played the Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest which feeled like a big meltdown. The controls were absolutely horrible. A little bit later I tested the pointer function of Move in The Shoot and basically nothing worked. The pointer was extremely sluggish and far away from the quality of the Wiimote pointer function. However, a game named Tumble surprised me in a positve sense. In this game you have to build a tower which worked pretty well and was a lot of fun. However, the gameplay is slow and not fast like in the other games I played. After getting my hands on PlayStation Move I'm very, very sceptical.

Hall seven had some other highlights like Def Jam Rapstar (don't know if the game is any good, but the show was very nice). However, later in the day I went to Microsoft's booth and got my hands on Windows Phone 7 (which nobody needs when iOS and Android are available) and Kinect. I waited one hour to play Kinect. While waiting, I hoped to be able to play Kinect Adventures but the Microsoft dude led me into the Sonic: Free Riders booth. In this moment I thought: Great, now I don't know if Kinect or Sonic is shit, probably both. But my Kinect session was hilarious and fun. The cam seemed to have some problems, especially with recognition of movements into the depth of the room but who cares? It was fun as hell to control one of Sonic's generic friends on some kind of a flying skateboard. Watching others playing games like Kinect Adventures I discovered some major lag. However, even if Kinect does not seem suitable for 'real' games it is a new and fun thing for more minigame / partygame-like things. And this is why it could be a commercial success. But do not expect too much, otherwise you will be disappointed.

After playing Kinect I walked again through every hall and played some games here and there. Super Scribblenauts impressed me, Wii Party was more fun than expected, Donkey Kong Returns will be a very cool jump'n'run game and Kirby's Epic Yarn is my most favourite game of the fair. Great look, great ideas, day 1. Last but not least, I got a signature from Charles Martinet who seems to be a very nice guy. I have nothing more to say. Check out my pics and my video from an amazing day!

And some pics:

537itx.jpg

25s7dl0.jpg

n5ixk.jpg

352oeom.jpg

29bgis6.jpg

14o3e9u.jpg

33a40mp.jpg

2gvptmd.jpg

igzsyq.jpg

21mufio.jpg

I've never felt as bad for a developer as I do for id Software right now. I waited in line for an hour to watch the Rage demo and as it unfolded before my eyes I was certain I was just watching Borderlands the entire time. The look, the enemies, the towns, the vehicles, the weapons, the engineering gear, the loading screens, etc are all Borderlands.

Did it look great? Yes it looked great. 60 FPS on the 360 with lots of polys, textures, and enemies. Did it play great? Can't tell just yet.

Megatextures are a non issue. You can't tell how much is actually unique and if everything is I feel bad for the artists because their efforts were in vain. It obviously has a lot of art content though and that is appreciated but the supposed lack of texture tiling or reuse is nothing worth noticing for me.

Top Bottom