• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Deadbeat

Banned
I wonder how much Steam sales mattered. The game was pretty high in terms of players and is still in the top 10 sales.

goomba said:
Apoligies if this has already been covered...

Why no PSP hardware numbers ?

Is the Vita also going to be excluded?

PSP doesn't really sell enough in NA for anyone to keep track.

Vita will be included in NPD topics, however.

antonz said:
Because its Obi Wan Kenobi level of dishonesty. There was not a point in August where you could walk into the store and be told sorry No PS3s

Isn't it dishonesty to count free giveaways as SOLD?

Another month of XBLA-comparable, retail software sales. Then again, it is August. I expect things will ramp up in a big way in September with Gears of War 3, Dead Island and Resistance 3.

Lagspike_exe said:
Deus Ex went from largest SE game this gen to a total bomba in just 2 pages.

Welcome to GAF. People throwing themselves off a bridge over 3DS accessories and going from 0 to 60 and back again on cheer-leading their favorite game.

Rhindle said:
So basically both the 3DS and the PS3 price cuts flopped.

At least Nintendo managed to keep the 3DS on life support, so they can keep hoping/praying to turn things around over the holiday season.
It's still just August and the 3DS has a limited library still. Expexting more than double sales is just stupid.

antonz

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Sonys had it done in their favor before in multiple regions. Dont recall anyone complaining then and at this point the promotion ran from May to September 3rd. Odd to start bitching about it now

Mrbob

Puppet Shadow said:
Holy crap at the software numbers! That has to be the lowest #1 game for a September this gen. And considering that's all sku's? Wow.

Well it doesn't include PC digital sales.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm sadden, I was really expecting and hoping Deus Ex would do much better. I'm about to hit my 50th hour playing it.

GTP_Daverytimes said:

Not in the same way. If a shop is offering a 2 for 1 deal, it still counts as both items being "sold". The numbers aren't fabricated even if it isn't an accurate reflection of all the factors involved.

People are basically saying this PS3 shortage thing IS a fabrication.

Wallach

shintoki said:
I'm sadden, I was really expecting and hoping Deus Ex would do much better. I'm about to hit my 50th hour playing it.

It's only 5 days, still pretty good numbers. It's not the kind of game that I think would have had a pre-order base.

Wouldn't be surprised if Steam actually pulled higher sales than that in this period.

Those are some low software numbers, NPD should be tracking Europe numbers soon right?

Lynn616 said:
If the PS3 is scanned through the system at retail it counts on NPD.

*shrug* Don't know for sure, that's the point.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Infinite Justice said:
DAMN!!!! and thats for all SKUS too :/

Not Steam though. And while it may not have been an exclusive, it was very much a game plenty of people would get on PC over consoles.

The estimate I saw in the steam thread is around 500k for PC alone, judging by the the max number of players playing at once (Which has been around ~50k. If Im not mistaken the logic is from a couple of comments from developers that have essentially said that for a game to have that many concurrent players, it needs to have sold around 10x that number).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zerokku said:
Not Steam though. And while it may not have been an exclusive, it was very much a game plenty of people would get on PC over consoles.

The estimate I saw in the steam thread is around 500k for PC alone, judging by the the max number of players playing at once (Which has been around ~50k. If Im not mistaken the logic is from a couple of comments from developers that have essentially said that for a game to have that many concurrent players, it needs to have sold around 10x that number).
I would not engage in this kind of math. It leads down a dark path of chartz.

We'll find out total sales/shipment numbers from Square Enix in their fiscal report, which will include the PC digital SKU.

Wallach said:
It's only 5 days, still pretty good numbers. It's not the kind of game that I think would have had a pre-order base.

Wouldn't be surprised if Steam actually pulled higher sales than that in this period.
I bet Steam sold at least this many. Sucks that Valve doesn't give out numbers, you'd think it be a great opportunity for Valve to point out how they can sell games.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YTD

DS 2,518,732
360 3,008,214
PS3 2,060,948
Wii 2,124,870
3DS 1,157,000

LTD

DS 49,823,483
360 28,403,373
PS3 17,522,921
Wii 36,274,494
3DS 1,157,000

Mikey Jr.

244k? Really?................Really?

I see like 6 of my XBL friends playing Deus Ex. Usually when its that much, I know a game has done good.

But 244k across all platforms? That is just shocking.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Deadbeat said:
I wonder how much Steam sales mattered. The game was pretty high in terms of players and is still in the top 10 sales.
it had 55k simultaneous players the weekend after release:http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/61907/Steam-Stats-Reveal-PC-Gamers-Are-In-Deus-Ecstacy

extrapolating that to total sales is no exact science, but given that the highest figure ever was for portal 2 (around 90k) which has sold in the millions on pc, 55k suggests an audience skewed towards deus ex's pc roots.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Nirolak said:

We'll find out total sales/shipment numbers from Square Enix in their fiscal report, which will include the PC digital SKU.

Hahaha fair enough. Mostly just trying to combat the idea of doom and gloom over its sales.

Clevinger

Mikey Jr. said:

I see like 6 of my XBL friends playing Deus Ex. Usually when its that much, I know a game has done good.

Is 244k in only 5 days really that bad?

Lynn616

upJTboogie said:
*shrug* Don't know for sure, that's the point.

It is done the same way for both the PS3 and the 360. Why would one count and the other not? If it is scanned at checkout then it is being counted.

Wizman23

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

It's a single player only game what do you expect? I have had it since day 1......delivered from Gamefly

Mrbob

Steam stats track worldwide. If we are going to try and figure out concurrent players to sales, Sega stated Shogun Total War 2 sold 600K in two months. This game peaked around 25K concurrent.

Deus Ex was well over two times this total at 56K concurrent at peak, so I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version has been a sales beast. But we won't know until we get SE financial details.

Remember USA is not the world, even though this is a NPD thread. Deus Ex must have done well enough for SE to approve Eidos Montreal doubling the size of the studio.

LQX

So many of these unproven games not selling well I think would have done a lot better with demos especially being that the reviews have been favorable.

I guess a #1 game at 224k isn't that surprising if it's down by that much

Batman AA wasn't #1 two years ago and it sold more individually on both the 360 and PS3

Nirolak said:

Agreed. For example when Portal 2 was launched it had 90k concurrent players on Steam.
Recently we discovered the PC version of Portal 2 must have sold ~1M.

But if we followed the x10 formula that would mean there were 900k million Steam copies sold in the very the first week, not months later.

So obviously there's no magic formula to make estimations of how many Steam copies of a game have been sold.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The top game sells only 244k across three platforms. What a depressing month.

Drakeon said:
Jesus christ, Just Dance is singlehandidly keeping Wii software sales alive.
At this point, Just Dance is keeping the whole industry alive.

Kusagari

Most gamers have no idea what Deus Ex even is/was. 244k is a fine number for 5 days. The overreactions are ridiculous.

244 is really low still it only 5 days so lets see what happens next month.
Also at people saying Eidos going to have the best selling games for SE might have to change there minds.

244k? That's like Metroid Prime bad. Then again, I bought it on Steam. Still, it has done relatively well in Europe (first week in UK > Invisible War's ltd), so it should be well past 500k ww.

jett

D-Member
#1 yea, but those seem like disappointingly low numbers for DX. Awesome game deserves better.

And seems like neither Sony's or Nintendo's pricedrops did much.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
A Human Becoming said:
YTD

DS 2,518,732
360 3,008,214
PS3 2,060,948
Wii 2,124,870
3DS 1,157,000
It's kind of embarrassing how the final 2 or 3 months are so huge and the rest of the year is just... urgh, hardware-wise.

I know it's Christmas, but it's not healthy for the industry to be so consolidated like that.

Top Bottom