• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Ugh, Italian class is gonna kill me. I can't think fast enough when it comes to speaking...

La classe d'italian uccidera' me. Non posso pensare velocemente abbastanza quando devo parlare...

Anche, so che la grammatica nella frase sopra (e questa frase) e' (sono) probabilmente torto. Accidenti.

Sentenza

Ugh, Italian class is gonna kill me. I can't think fast enough when it comes to speaking...

La classe d'italian uccidera' me. Non posso pensare velocemente abbastanza quando devo parlare...

Anche, so che la grammatica nella frase sopra (e questa frase) e' (sono) probabilmente torto. Accidenti.
I'm not sure if you were asking for some correction or just making a statement. If it's the former, then you should write:

"La classe d'italiano mi ucciderà. Non posso pensare abbastanza velocemente quando devo parlare...
Inoltre, so che la grammatica nella frase sopra (e in questa) è probabilmente sbagliata.
Accidenti."

Well, at least that's keeping the sentence as close as the way you wrote it; an Italian would probably word it a bit differently, but your sentence isn't strictly wrong.

Somax

If this can be of any consolation, your italian is better than the average language you can find written on italian forums! :D

Woz

Hey ItalyGAF - my wife is moving over to Reggio for work in a few weeks - any advice for general everyday living in the south...? :) (Coming from Glasgow, I expect the climate to hit us like a hammer :p). I won't be able to make it over for a few months, but still... is anyone from around there, and can offer some tips?

I'm from Reggio Emilia, if it's the right Reggio and need some help, feel free to drop me a PM :)

SmartBase

Hey Italia GAF. I'm moving to the Lombardy region in two months and I'm wondering which power sockets they have over here, from my understanding Italy uses 2 or 3 different ones.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hey Italia GAF. I'm moving to the Lombardy region in two months and I'm wondering which power sockets they have over here, from my understanding Italy uses 2 or 3 different ones.

lhyPy36.jpg

mostly the one on the left

I'm not sure if you were asking for some correction or just making a statement. If it's the former, then you should write:

"La classe d'italiano mi ucciderà. Non posso pensare abbastanza velocemente quando devo parlare...
Inoltre, so che la grammatica nella frase sopra (e in questa) è probabilmente sbagliata.
Accidenti."

Well, at least that's keeping the sentence as close as the way you wrote it; an Italian would probably word it a bit differently, but your sentence isn't strictly wrong.

Both, and thanks a bunch!

If this can be of any consolation, your italian is better than the average language you can find written on italian forums! :D

Yay! That means there's hope!

Since people are correcting you, it's "come si dice" :)

Not if you're from Rome. ;)

Interesting...

lhyPy36.jpg

mostly the one on the left

The one on the left though can have two sizes, a big one and a small one (pictured is the small one). Technically 99% of the outlets nowadays are compatible with both, like this:
mu5N3kc.jpg

But if you ever find a socket that is compatible with the small type don't buy an adapter to try and fit a big one.
Big plugs are 16A, small ones are 10A, if you plug a 16A applicance in a 10A socket you risk an overload and subsequent short-circuit.

I bet a lot of Italian folks didn't know of this one either :p

Copons

The one on the left though can have two sizes, a big one and a small one (pictured is the small one). Technically 99% of the outlets nowadays are compatible with both, like this:
mu5N3kc.jpg

But if you ever find a socket that is compatible with the small type don't buy an adapter to try and fit a big one.
Big plugs are 16A, small ones are 10A, if you plug a 16A applicance in a 10A socket you risk an overload and subsequent short-circuit.

I've always just assumed that if it doesn't fit, I'd rather find another socket instead of brute forcing the small one with a big plug. :D

mu5N3kc.jpg

Hmmm...
I've been here since May, and it hasn't been my only time in Italy, but I never noticed any problems regarding this. Neither did my friends when they came to visit me.

eso76

Accidenti."

i think he wrote class as in "corso/lezione"

Sentenza

i think he wrote class as in "corso/lezione"
Uhm, yeah... So? It's a form that can be used even in Italian, even if it's not particularly common.
We tend to use "lezioni di ****" or "Corso di ****" to say "**** class", but there's no rule suggesting you can't say "Classe di ****", making the translation a bit more literal.

Hmmm...
I've been here since May, and it hasn't been my only time in Italy, but I never noticed any problems regarding this. Neither did my friends when they came to visit me.

Because nowadays almost all sockets in the country have been replaced by the double standard type.
You may still find the old small-only or big-only sockets in some old apartments or houses.

Because nowadays almost all sockets in the country have been replaced by the double standard type.
You may still find the old small-only or big-only sockets in some old apartments or houses.

I know, and I am living in an old apartment. Did not have problems using stuff on sockets that did not fit thanks to an adapter.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

I know, and I am living in an old apartment. Did not have problems using stuff on sockets that did not fit thanks to an adapter.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

It's not like all old apartments have the old sockets :p

come on, that's common knowledge... isn't it? :|

I learned this about 3 years ago, and everybody I've talked about it since then didn't know.
My guess is that it isn't exactly widespread...

Copons

But I don't understand.

It's a matter of holes size or amperage?
It occurred to me plenty of times to plug a "big" (classic 3 pins, not schuko) one into a small one through a 3 way plug and nothing has ever happened.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
come on, that's common knowledge... isn't it? :|

I didn't know.

Then again, I never cared about it, never been so stupid to force a big one in a little one. I only ever used big-to-small adapters.

But I don't understand.

It's a matter of holes size or amperage?
It occurred to me plenty of times to plug a "big" (classic 3 pins, not schuko) one into a small one through a 3 way plug and nothing has ever happened.

Based on this:

I would guess you've been lucky to only ever plug in things that didn't require more than 10A

Copons

Based on this:

I would guess you've been lucky to only ever plug in things that didn't require more than 10A

Ok, but I assume that adapters make some kind of conversion too, don't they?
So, as long as you plug in a plug in a fitting socket (even after several "adaptment"), everything should be fine, I guess. :D

So, guys, I need help.

I brought my Xbox 360 with me, hoping that the apartment I'd rent would have a tv.
It doesn't.

So, I want to buy either a monitor or a cheap HDTV (like 19" or something), but I don't know where to find something that'd cost less than 100€.

Best so far was either fnac.it or amazon.it, 130€. And that's too much, considering the fact that there's a 50% chance I'll leave the country in two months.

Any shops in Rome that sell pre-owned stuff ?
Or am I out of luck ?

Thanks a lot !

I'm looking at kijiji, and while some offers look interesting, I'm scared someone might try to scam me and sell something that doesn't work.

:(

I'll keep looking

Okay, anyone know of any good Italian R&B or Pop music? I figure if I can spice my commute up with some Italian, and in a way that I enjoy, it'd be very helpful. If the music is ubiquitous, even better (not like italian music is overplayed in America :p)

Caparezza.

Caparezza is waaaaaay to hard for someone who's trying to learn Italian imho. Every one of his songs have tons of double senses, and some of them can really be understood only if you're Italian really (Vieni a ballare in Puglia?).
Maybe Elio e le Storie Tese it's a little easier (he also sings slower), but it's parody music, sometimes it doesn't even have sense so I don't know.

I'm not a big fan of Italian pop music, but if you like rock or punk, these bands are really good: Ministri (not Ministry, Ministri), Punkreas, Zen Circus, Verdena.

Sentenza

Okay, anyone know of any good Italian R&B or Pop music? I figure if I can spice my commute up with some Italian, and in a way that I enjoy, it'd be very helpful. If the music is ubiquitous, even better (not like italian music is overplayed in America :p)
Not exactly into these genres you are asking for (more on the rock side), but if you're curious about italian bands I would suggest you to give a chance to Litfiba.
In my opinion they used to be arguably the best italian band, before the split and their embarrassing decline.

Not exactly into these genres you are asking for (more on the rock side), but if you're curious about italian bands I would suggest you to give a chance to Litfiba.
In my opinion they used to be arguably the best italian band, before the split and their embarrassing decline.

One of my friend is a great fan of Litfiba actually. What are the albums worth listening?

Also, are you the same Tuco from Gamesvillage?

Caparezza is waaaaaay to hard for someone who's trying to learn Italian imho. Every one of his songs have tons of double senses, and some of them can really be understood only if you're Italian really (Vieni a ballare in Puglia?).
Maybe Elio e le Storie Tese it's a little easier (he also sings slower), but it's parody music, sometimes it doesn't even have sense so I don't know.

I'm not a big fan of Italian pop music, but if you like rock or punk, these bands are really good: Ministri (not Ministry, Ministri), Punkreas, Zen Circus, Verdena.

It's just the only one I know that corresponded to what he was asking for.

Only times I listen to him is when my girlfriend's with me, and she explains the songs to me.

Sentenza

One of my friend is a great fan of Litfiba actually. What are the albums worth listening?
The first ones till "Mondi Sommersi" range all from decent to very good.
17 Re is almost a collection of their original "underground" stuff, it's a good sample of what's probably the weirdest/most exotic production and I guess it can be... an acquired taste. Not easy and catchy, but something you can eventually learn to love.

With El Diablo, Terremoto, Spirito and Mondi Sommersi they progressively moved from "prog rock" to hard and then almost pop rock, always keeping some influences from gypsy music.
I can't exactly suggest a favorite album, because my favorite songs are all over the place in their production, but if I would need to suggest an introduction, I would say "Terremoto" is a good middle ground to start familiarizing with them.

Also, are you the same Tuco from Gamesvillage?
Well, yes, I am, even if I'm not following that forum very often, recently.

Copons

This piece of shit ruined Italy and my beloved AC Milan.

VAFFANCULO BERLU

Yeah, I know really (well, I don't care about Milan, but still all the economic politics in the last 10 years are screwing me in too many ways), but if you think about it, these are pretty funny times.
If you put together the first pages of Italian newspapers of the last week or so, you basically get a full fledged /b/ thread.

lefantome

It's like me listening to Bloodhound gang, but way harder (and politically correct)

I think that the day I registered, I was craving some pizza con salsiccia. And I probably went to get some after work.

I'm a Frenchman with an italian username

SmartBase

Don't suppose anyone knows a free site where I can learn basic Italian grammar? I pick up languages easy enough and I'd prefer not sounding like a damned tourist over there.

G.ZZZ

Don't suppose anyone knows a free site where I can learn basic Italian grammar? I pick up languages easy enough and I'd prefer not sounding like a damned tourist over there.

If you're going to Tuscany you just need to know:

- boia dè -> boia dè
- ma caa voi? -> what do you want?
- si sgabbia? - > can we leave?
- dove stà la roba da vedè? -> where are things we'd like to see?
- gnàmo -> let's go
- grazie mille -> thanks a lot
- ci garba un sacco l'italia! -> we really like Italy!
- meglio un morto in casa che un pisano sull'uscio (don't use this in Pisa btw) -> better to have a dead in the house than someone from Pisa on my front door

do this at your own risk

Top Bottom