• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's Korean writing in Surgery Simulator...and has nothing to do with Half-Life.

MrValtor

Banned
- Half Life 2 releases a mysterious 3.7 Gig update yesterday that turns most of the in-game text into Korean.
- People flip shit, because Valve.
- Earlier this week, Surgeon Simulator releases a piece of TF2-themed DLC.
- Today, somebody discovers a puzzle on the bottom of an unlockable figure in the game. It contains Korean writing, leading to a possible connection between it & the Half-Life 2 update.
- Developers confirm the puzzle is official.

I think that's everything.

When did the devs confirm that it was real. The steamsupport on twitter only said that the update was for steampipe.

Saturn
Old English Sætern "Italic god," also "most remote planet" (then known), from Latin Saturnus, Italic god of agriculture, possibly from Etruscan. Derivation from Latin serere (past participle satus) "to sow" is said to be folk-etymology.

Identified with Greek Kronos, father of Zeus. Also the alchemical name for lead (late 14c.). In Akkadian, the planet was kaiamanu, literally "constant, enduring," hence Hebrew kiyyun, Arabic and Persian kaiwan "Saturn."

an ancient Roman god of agriculture, the consort of Ops, believed to have ruled the earth during an age of happiness and virtue, identified with the Greek god Cronus.
Astronomy . the planet sixth in order from the sun, having an equatorial diameter of 74,600 miles (120,000 km), a mean distance from the sun of 886.7 million miles (1427 million km), a period of revolution of 29.46 years, and 21 known moons. It is the second largest planet in the solar system, encompassed by a series of thin, flat rings composed of small particles of ice. See table under planet.
Alchemy. the metal lead.
a U.S. space-vehicle booster developing from 2 million to 9 million pounds (900,000 to 4 million kg) of thrust for launching satellites, probes, and spaceships.

When did the devs confirm that it was real. The steamsupport on twitter only said that the update was for steampipe.

The Surgeon Simulator developers confirmed the puzzle on the bottom of the statue. Valve's ofifcial statement is still that the Korean text is just some translation error.

Darryl

Banned
how do we check what other games got updated recently besides Surgeon Simulator? are there any saturn-based games on steam

Dresden

토성의 밀도는 태양계 행성들 중 가장 낮다. 자전 속도는 빠르며 표면은 고체가 아니다. 이러한 요소들이 결합하여 토성의 외관은 회전 타원체 형태로 눌려 있다. 토성의 극반지름과 적도 반지름은 대략 10% 정도 차이가 나는데, 극에서 54,364km임에 반해 적도 반지름은 60,268km에 이른다. 다른 가스 행성들도 찌그러진 것은 마찬가지이나, 토성처럼 심한 경우는 없다. 토성의 중심핵 부분의 밀도는 높을 것으로 예상되지만, 전체적인 토성의 밀도는 0.69g/mL에 불과하다. 따라서 토성의 질량은 지구의 95배 정도이다.(목성의 질량은 지구의 318배에 이르지만, 반지름은 토성보다 20퍼센트 더 큰 정도이다)

If you squint a bit you can see where it says HALF LIFE 3.

Glix

Can someone with the game provide some IN GAME context for that?

It seems to be on the bottom of a statue of the medic? Can you do anything with it or interact with it or put it in someones abdomen in surgery?

Is there anything IN Surgery Sim having to do with Saturn?

Can the times on the clock and watch change? Or can you only see this easter egg when the clocks say that time.

etc

raphier

Banned
The position of Saturn's festival in the Roman calendar led to his association with concepts of time, especially the temporal transition of the New Year. In the Greek tradition, Cronus was often conflated with Chronus, "Time," and his devouring of his children taken as an allegory for the passing of generations. The sickle or scythe of Father Time is a remnant of the agricultural implement of Cronus-Saturn, and his aged appearance represents the waning of the old year with the birth of the new, in antiquity sometimes embodied by Aion. In late antiquity, Saturn is syncretized with a number of deities, and begins to be depicted as winged, as is Kairos, "Timing, Right Time".[14]
So what now

Not so fast alien, I'm on to your language!

Saturn's density is the lowest of the planets of the solar system. Rotating speed is not fast, and the solid surface. These elements combine to form spheroidal appearance of Saturn is pressed. Saturn's polar radius and the equatorial radius of approximately 10% difference in smells, is 54,364 km at the poles to the equator, while the radius amounting to 60,268 km. Like the other gas planets, toHALF LIFE 3o distorted, or if Saturn is not as severe. The density of Saturn's core portion is expected to be high, the overall density of Saturn is only 0.69g/mL. Thus, the mass of the planet Saturn is about 95 times (318 times the Earth's mass in Jupiter's hard to tell, than the radius of Saturn is about 20% larger)

Orayn

First line, if it's Morse code and not just hangman...
Code:
------
Could be...
Code:
- --- --
A combination of the letters T, O, and M in any order. Tom?
It could also be a zero and a T if we involve numbers.

Inserting the two dashes for a second word.
Code:
..--.......
Bah. Still working on it...

Gestault

GLpue7w.jpg

Lifesies

Neo Member
Grasping at straws here but are there any astronomers in the house?

If so is it possible at any time to see Saturn in the night sky between Mercury and Venus? If so when will this next be visible from Korea?

Love these things that Valve do. Such a shame I am too dumb to figure them out, but it is great seeing people coming together to solve them.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It seems to be on the bottom of a statue of the medic? Can you do anything with it or interact with it or put it in someones abdomen in surgery?

Can the times on the clock and watch change? Or can you only see this easter egg when the clocks say that time.

etc

The statue is unlocked after you complete the TF2 themed surgery, and it is only placed on the desk used between surgeries.

I believe the clocks show what time it is on your computer.

etc
The Medic statue appears on your desk after beating the piece of DLC. You find the puzzle by grabbing it, and turning it upside down.

Surgeon Sim DOES have a level taking place in a space station, but I doubt that's a part of the puzzle.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Korean alphabet (Consonant)
ㄱ ㄴ ㄷ ㄹ ㅁ ㅂ ㅅ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎ
(7th consonant)

ㅅ = Lambda

Lambda_logo.svg

Its PRACTICALLY confirmed at this point!!!111

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I put this into Google Translate. In translates to English just fine, but my Valve-sense was tingling so I used my Half-Life Fan logic and switched the detected language to Swahili. I think the results speak for themselves.

Grasping at straws here but are there any astronomers in the house?

If so is it possible at any time to see Saturn in the night sky between Mercury and Venus? If so when will this next be visible from Korea?

Love these things that Valve do. Such a shame I am too dumb to figure them out, but it is great seeing people coming together to solve them.
We have to go deeper...

Dresden

Korean alphabet (Consonant)
ㄱ ㄴ ㄷ ㄹ ㅁ ㅂ ㅅ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎ
(7th consonant)

ㅅ = Lambda

Lambda_logo.svg

Its PRACTICALLY confirmed at this point!!!111
holy shit
I put this into Google Translate. In translates to English just fine, but my Valve-sense was tingling so I used my Half-Life Fan logic and switched the detected language to Swahili. I think the results speak for themselves.

holy shiiiiiiit

Top Bottom