• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One specs from Hot Chips session (8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Then did you ask the developers before about it? I mean, is there any developer out there saying this in an inteview or it is something you believe?

From the need for speed dev:-

“What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time – especially one of them, but I’m not going to tell you which one," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com at Gamescom earlier today.

“And that makes me really happy. But in reality, I think we’re going to have both those consoles pretty much on parity – maybe one sticking up a little bit

Are you working on any of these systems yourself?

shandy706

there are certain things that are unavoidable whether the devs set out to achieve them or not...

for example...your blasting through a gunfight in CoD:Ghosts and bam there is an explosion and the framerate hiccups...its going to more negatively effect the Xbone version...just unavoidable...now if they devs want the framerate to stay equal...they will have to slightly scale back an effect or two on the Xbone version...

and there you get your differences, even though the devs set out looking for parity..

Yeah, I get fed up with the PS4 holding PCs back :(

I say that in Jest, I don't care...exclusives are worth buying an X1 and PS4

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Then you're not going to be a happy camper next gen.

If you're a publisher releasing a game on these platforms, that game will be competing with other games on the same platform, not the same game for the other platform. So why wouldn't you want to ensure that both versions look as good as they possibly can? Making sure they do means each version will be hold up better against the other games available for each console. Purposefully holding the PS4 version back for "parity", to make XBO-only owners happy that their version isn't inferior or whatever, would only hurt the PS4's version's chances against other titles on the platform. It would probably also make PS4-only owners annoyed that their version is being gimped for no good reason, and you might lose a bunch of sales of that version without gaining anything. How is that a better scenario for anyone but Microsoft?

You can't upgrade the internal HDD, but I suspect you knew that.

On the PS4 you can, which was his point. People were saying the PS4 has no internal flash memory, which it likely does (probably has to).

Piggus

I like how audio processing has suddenly become some non-trivial thing all of a sudden thanks to the xbone mouth pieces. Are we going to go back to having seperate 2D and 3D graphics processors so people can feel like they're getting more power than they are?

That's what happens when you combine PR fluff with ill-informed assumptions. Suddenly all of the PS4's extra GPU power is being gobbled up by audio processing. -_-

8GB of flash is going to be for the OS(s) and system apps. U be crazy to use ROM these days. 4/4 split safe/update makes it hard to brick (bet it still happens though).

Klocker

From the need for speed dev:-

What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time – especially one of them...

since it was assumed the bone was the weak little sister wouldn't that be the surprise one which is more powerful than previously believed?

He is not saying "one of them is especially more powerful than another" just that one is more powerful than we previously thought

JaggedSac

I like how audio processing has suddenly become some non-trivial thing all of a sudden thanks to the xbone mouth pieces. Are we going to go back to having seperate 2D and 3D graphics processors so people can feel like they're getting more power than they are?

That thing was added to the Bone mainly to handle Kinect audio processing. Noise cancellation and such. But is also useable by devs as well for more than just decompressing/compressing. So in this particular case, it is non-trivial. It isn't some magical thing that brings the bone closer to the ps4, but it is certainly useful.

Piggus

Or maybe in the grand scheme of things the differences really are minimal. Occam's razor and all that.

Depends on what you define as minimal. The difference in processing power here is quite a bit larger than it was on PS3/360 and can be compared more directly due to the architecture similarities.

ekim

The SHAPE Audio chip is 15 Gflops max, part of which is used up by Kinect voice recognition at all times. Let's just say 10Gflops is available on average. PS4 has a 1840 Gflop GPU, I'm sure they'll find 50 Gflops worth of unused GPU shader cycles here and there to make up for the lack of 10Gflop dedicated sound processing without downgrading graphics, assuming the GPU will need 5x the raw power of the sound block to make the same calculations due to inefficiency (worst case).

Semi-knowledge and implications from that:
Afaik you have to use a whole CU because you can't give multiple different instructions to different cores in one CU. So you are not able to get just 10gflops processing power from one CU while the rest of it does other stuff at the same time. You can switch context but that probably wastes cycles. You probably can use one CU for applying DSP effects to more than one channel by switching contexts though.

dcx4610

Is there a chance that the flash memory will be used for the OS while leaving 8GB of system memory for games? If so...things just got interesting.

AngryMoth

8GB flash is interesting, hadn't heard about that before. Could that give a significent boost to load times? Or will it probably just be used for the OS? (Sorry if already discussed)

Depends on what you define as minimal. The difference in processing power here is quite a bit larger than it was on PS3/360 and can be compared more directly due to the architecture similarities.

What does that mean in the real world? What do you expect from PS4 multiplats you won't see in XB1 titles? A little better lighting effects? Slightly better frame rates? A small bump in the resolution?

If you want to see a big difference in multiplats PCs will be the only place you'll find it.

PS4: Bayern Munich (Efficient)
Xbox: Manchester City (Loads of money. Not really effective)
WiiU: Newcastle United

PS4: Miguel Cabrera
Xbone: Curtis Granderson
PC: Ty Cobb+Babe Ruth+Lou Gherig+Micky Mantle+Satchel Paige+Cy Young+Randy Johnson, etc.
WiiU: Fred Merkle (look up what he's famous for)

Ouya: The batboy

Edit: I like these sports comparisons much more than the Dragon Ball Z ones, mostly because I've never watched the show and know nothing about none of it.

They make my brain melt.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a chance that the flash memory will be used for the OS while leaving 8GB of system memory for games? If so...things just got interesting.

No. Flash memory isn't RAM, it would be horribly slow for that (even though it's much, much faster than an HDD). It will be used for storing data (probably the firmware/OS), not as working memory.

spwolf

If you're a publisher releasing a game on these platforms, that game will be competing with other games on the same platform, not the same game for the other platfor

this is the truth... For PS4 owners, their COD doesnt compare to COD on XB1, they compare it to KZ and BF on PS4 when deciding which game to buy.

I never understood why would people think that money hatting is even possible.

Sounddeli

Banned
The ESRAM is still essentially its own thing, memory read/writes to it can be 109 gbs right through to 204gb/s, but it's now a two way communication, not just a framebuffer cache like it was on the 360.

What that really means is post processing/defferred rendering is slick. Hellishly slick. Rendering is again, a one way traffic system, but any post processing can happen soon as the frame is created in the ESRAM. No GPU to DDR3 read/writes. All win win stuff (like last gen).

Clock speed increase means it has a throughput advantage (over PS4)in terms of the rate at which it process data, with almost zero stall pipeline in place. Very slick. OP/s still low compared to the opposition, but there is enough here to suggest that it will run efficiently enough.

Outside of the raw compute advantage on the GPU (for PS4), the Xbox one has a faster HSA bus, running at 30gb/s compared to "nearly 20gb/s).
It's all half a dozen of one and 6 of the other, someplace's XBO has advantages, others it doesn't.

Raw rendering, hell I wouldn't be at all concerned, it appears there's more than enough caches, and with the esram, and the dedicated swizzle hardware, this will hold it's own.

A good solid piece of kit that shows what a closed box customized system can do to beef up individual components.

Color me far more impressed with the dedicated silicon than I would have been if they had just taped the GPU and CPU together.
There is some smart stuff in here, wherever they know the CPU or GPU are gong to be bogged down doing mundane stuff, they have added silicon to alleviate it.

Zornack

So is the 204 GB/s the eSRAM's peak bandwidth or a number gotten from combing separate bandwidths (CPU-GPU, eSRAM and DDR3)?

Piggus

What does that mean in the real world? What do you expect from PS4 multiplats you won't see in XB1 titles? A little better lighting effects? Slightly better frame rates? A small bump in the resolution?

If you want to see a big difference in multiplats PCs will be the only place you'll find it.

I'm mainly expecting differences in IQ, framerate and possibly geometry and texture detail with third party games. But those differences alone can be substantial (see Red Dead Redemption).

And yes, my PC will be playing most of these third party games anyway. :p

What can we expect from GPGPU tech? In the crytek engine demo thread we saw a glimpse of GPGPU tech (water drying up in the sun). But what else? According to Cerny this tech is 3 years away on PS4.

But it sounds like something only the sony first party will take advantage of

ibvbeAB6KhU7LZ.gif

JABEE

PS4: Miguel Cabrera
Xbone: Curtis Granderson
PC: Ty Cobb+Babe Ruth+Lou Gherig+Micky Mantle+Satchel Paige+Cy Young+Randy Johnson, etc.
WiiU: Fred Merkle (look up what he's famous for)

Ouya: The batboy

Edit: I like these sports comparisons much more than the Dragon Ball Z ones, mostly because I've never watched the show and know nothing about none of it.

They make my brain melt.
So what you're saying is the WiiU is a boner?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Looks like depth and stencil ops won't have the horsepower for anything really interesting with this generation of home consoles.

Flatline

Banned
Is this "204GB/s peak BW" the sum of various RAM bandwidths? If true the thread title is highly misleading. Not this bullshit again, Microsoft.

Metfanant

no because youre going to need the system memory...there are CPU calculations and GPU rendering that need to be done for the the OS to function....the Flash memory isn't going to be available for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom