• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Geforce 750 Ti shouldn't be capable of matching or beating the PS4 GPU

Well XB1's OS is literally a stripped down Windows 8, so....

Also, percent usage doesn't really apply as you might be running more powerful hardware, so that 3% of your CPU might be equal to 20% of the shitty Jaguar CPUs. And Win 8 idling takes up a shitton of RAM.

b7456f3e1b.png

sort out your computer before you try to talk crap, my pc is using 3.4gb of ram with steam, spotify, photoshop and chrome with 45-50 tabs open.

LCGeek

formerly sane
That seems incredibly bloated. Right now my PC is using 4GB of RAM and of that, 1.2GB is to MySQL server and 1GB is to firefox with 10 tabs open, including Youtube and a Coursera video lecture...

It is, funny how he cites a stripped down version of win8 for xbox but then uses windows loaded up with programs for a similar comparison. As a pc gamer you can strip windows down especially when you plan on just gaming and you can also tweak it to get rid of default bloat or setting that are fully using your computers better features.

Reg

Banned
I think Sony said they were aiming to not take a loss Day 1. I dont know if its possible to know anything for sure since then.

Either way, its highly unlikely they are making much money per unit, if they are at all. Not to any degree that they could have used higher specs at the same price at least.

IIRC Tretton or someone said they turned a profit at launch if the customer also bought a game with the console or a year of PS+ or something.

I heard something similar about needing to sell a subscription and/or a game alongside the console to break even.

Sini

Also, percent usage doesn't really apply as you might be running more powerful hardware, so that 3% of your CPU might be equal to 20% of the shitty Jaguar CPUs. And Win 8 idling takes up a shitton of RAM.

b7456f3e1b.png
I have Spotify, Steam, Chrome with 3 tabs, one of them is 20 minute YT video open and total memory usage is 2,2GB. If yours is idling without anything open then your system is really bloated.

danwarb

The obvious one is much better overall system performance with the 750Ti. It's unlikely you have it paired with a slower CPU than the PS4. PS4 can't compete with a modern, half decent PC CPU.

Also unified memory on console. Having dedicated VRAM and system RAM is faster.

And: NVIDIA > AMD

Sentenza

<< Card X apparently outperforms Console Y running these multiplatform games. >>
<< Oh yeah? But can Card X run *insert game that is not available on PC here* better than Console Y? No? Ha! I expected so. >>

Typical development for threads like this.

For the next 6 years I'm buying brand new console games for $40 at Best Buy. Physical disks as well, so I could trade them in for $30-40 a few weeks later if I wanted to, making my total cost almost nothing. Or I could wait a month or two and trade them in for $20 or something, making my cost just $20-30. Or I could keep them since I only paid $40-45 brand new. The "PC gaming costs less due to game prices!!" line is officially out the window for anyone living in North America that took advantage of the ridiculous Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked program.

30 page thread on it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923953

I paid just $19 for 6 years of BB GCU.
Games on PC are still cheaper along with not paying for online.

b7456f3e1b.png

That is not used or wasted RAM, but RAM managed by OS. If any program needs more RAM, OS will free it up. Most modern OS work this way to cache stuff and avoid to page to HDD. It usually takes a percentage of the total RAM, so the more RAM you have, the more it takes. Android do that too on Phones.

Unused RAM is useless RAM.

What it is supposed to mean exactly?

It's the same argument used back then at 2006. And it's even worse now.

omonimo

Banned
That is not used or wasted RAM, but RAM managed by OS. If any program needs more RAM, OS will free it up. Most modern OS work this way to cache stuff and avoid to page to HDD. It usually takes a percentage of the total RAM, so the more RAM you have, the more it takes. Android do that too on Phones.

I continue to not understand your logic.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Laptop CPU and with nothing running the windows CPU footprint is pretty much non-existent.

4566443.jpg

I do tend to turn off one pretty much useless process.

martino

on windows it's called superfetch and it's a service.

Games on PC are still cheaper along with not paying for online.
They're really not. Do the math. The Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked program was honestly the best gaming deal of all time in terms of how much money you'll be saving in the future.

PS+/XBL costs like 30-40 per year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They're really not. Do the math. The Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked program was honestly the best gaming deal of all time in terms of how much money you'll be saving in the future.

You can often preorder games for that amount or less, let the fact they drop in price fair quicker as does any DLC. It's not even remotely close.

PC games, even AAA console crap, costs less on release or, if you are willing to tak ehte strange low road you are taking, are available elsewhere through VPN, TF2 keys, whatever for much less than even your best buy deal. This is not even counting the fact that steam sales have games going for pennys, or humble deals, or GMG codes, or GOG sales, or anything.

This on top of free online multiplayer.

Keep fighting the good fight heavy, I have no idea why I am even talking to you about this.

You can often preorder games for that amount or less, let the fact they drop in price fair quicker as does any DLC. It's not even remotely close.
You can resell console games and make back most of your money. If you resell within a few weeks you get the game for almost free.

"Not remotely close" is completely inaccurate, especially after the Best Buy GCU deal. Brand new $40 games on resellable physical disks is "not remotely close"? Trust me, I made the GMG OT, I'm aware of it and PC pricing. Even if you don't resell them , $40 brand new games is just as good as GMG. Console games drop in price heavily as well. Just look at the deals in the holiday flyers that have leaked.

PC games, even AAA console crap, costs less on release or, if you are willing to tak ehte strange low road you are taking, are available elsewhere through VPN, TF2 keys, whatever for much less than even your best buy deal. This is not even counting the fact that steam sales have games going for pennys, or humble deals, or GMG codes, or GOG sales, or anything.

This on top of free online multiplayer.

Keep fighting the good fight heavy, I have no idea why I am even talking to you about this.
You're wrong. See above.

And being able to buy a game for a few bucks a year or two after release is irrelevant for a lot of people. I play new games.

LCGeek

formerly sane

How if I use mostly sales to get the games I want on pc and only pay my isp bill?

How if I use mostly sales to get the games I want on pc and only pay my isp bill?
If you wait 6 months, a year, two years to buy your games, congrats, you win this argument. I'm talking about new games. I don't buy games I'm interested in 1-2 years after the fact.

StevieP

Banned
If you wait 6 months, a year, two years to buy your games, congrats, you win this argument. I'm talking about new games. I don't buy games I'm interested in 1-2 years after the fact.

There are plenty of day 1 deals that are much cheaper than consoles if you're willing to go through the same kinda qualifiers that you do to frame your argument in favour of consoles. Actually, less qualifiers considering you're talking about subscriptions and driving your games around to resell them "a week later" for "free"

bj00rn_

Banned
I continue to not understand your logic.

I don't speak for him, but I suppose it's about that the gap is bigger from the get go than it was last gen, and rapidly increasing (GTX970, "cheap", low TDP, ~3x faster). Also, x86 consoles will bring performance optimization to PC closer than ever before. Last gen developers just relied on brute forcing PC versions, but now optimization and low level drivers has a considerable focus, contributing to widen the gap even more (Dark Souls 2 and Alien Isolation, just two examples of optimized games that wouldn't see the light of day last gen).

Seanspeed

Banned
You can resell console games and make back most of your money. If you resell within a few weeks you get the game for almost free.

"Not remotely close" is completely inaccurate, especially after the Best Buy GCU deal. Brand new $40 games on resellable physical disks is "not remotely close"? Trust me, I made the GMG OT, I'm aware of it and PC pricing. Even if you don't resell them , $40 brand new games is just as good as GMG. Console games drop in price heavily as well. Just look at the deals in the holiday flyers that have leaked.
Membership costs $120 and is not a lifetime membership. Over the course of the generation, you're looking at $360 extra for these 'good as PC' prices.

It also means you have to buy 7 full-priced games before you even start to see any savings.

Caayn

What it is supposed to mean exactly?
That previous consoles didn't suddenly gained performance increases that PC parts didn't get. A PC that outperforms the consoles right now will continue to do so for the rest of the generation. And don't forget that the gap between consoles and PC is a lot bigger this time.

There are plenty of day 1 deals that are much cheaper than consoles if you're willing to go through the same kinda qualifiers that you do to frame your argument in favour of consoles. Actually, less qualifiers considering you're talking about subscriptions and driving your games around to resell them "a week later" for "free"
The only qualifier even being used is having taken advantage of the Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked deal that was on the first page of this site for a week and amassed over 1500 replies.

Wow, such qualifier.

$40 brand new games that are resellable vs $35 brand new on GMG. Same thing. The "PC gaming is cheaper over time" line has gone out the window with this huge BB GCU deal. They're about the same now.

diaspora

The only qualifier even being used is having taken advantage of the Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked deal that was on the first page of this site for a week and amassed over 1500 replies.

Wow, such qualifier.

$40 brand new games that are resellable vs $35 brand new on GMG. Same thing. The "PC gaming is cheaper over time" line has gone out the window with this huge BB GCU deal. They're about the same now.

Incorrect, the PC gaming is cheaper holds more water than a fucking US-exclusive deal.

Membership costs $120 and is not a lifetime membership. Over the course of the generation, you're looking at $360 extra for these 'good as PC' prices.

It also means you have to buy 7 full-priced games before you even start to see any savings.
Perhaps you should have read the full quote tree:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139116634&postcount=445

TLDR: $5.99 for 2 years. I bought 6 years worth for a total of $19-20 including tax.

Incorrect, the PC gaming is cheaper holds more water than a fucking US-exclusive deal.
Sucks for you? /shrug

30 page thread on the front page. Obviously a lot of gaffers are from the U.S.

martino

pc is cheaper in what 8/10 ways to buy them.

yes if you buy day one and keep them a few weeks it can be cheaper....
It is representative of a low minority that can do a lot of gaming in a small time.

diaspora

Perhaps you should have read the full quote tree:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139116634&postcount=445

TLDR: $5.99 for 2 years. I bought 6 years worth for a total of $19-20 including tax.

US-exclusive = as good as not existing.

Sucks for you? /shrug

30 page thread on the front page. Obviously a lot of gaffers are from the U.S.

Sucks for most of the gamers that exist in general. GMG and Steam deals applying internationally simultaneously obviously is better than the GCU deal which is comparatively irrelevant with its low reach. Again, if it's exclusive to one country then nobody really gives a shit- I wouldn't argue that Best Buy Canada's 30% off e3 deal means games are cheaper because a single country deal would be idiotic as a counter to steam and gmg prices.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I buy games at all points of the year new or not, I just don't see the point in making a one sided argument that ignores the varying buying taste of pc gamers. No need to waste money on new titles that have a backlog and active games that I play all the time to compete with.

Also I don't wait a year a to buy any of my games at max that is half a year.

US-exclusive = as good as not existing.
reggienotmyproblem.jpg

Neither is it for the people who posted in the 30 page thread for the deal. There's a huge amount of U.S. gaffers (I'm pretty sure the majority are).

It's similar to how it sucks Australians and Brazilians have to pay $100 for games and how people outside of those countries don't care, except this is on a much bigger scale with it being the U.S.

So I want to join up. Can I get 6 years for $20?

If you read the thread that was basically stickied on the front page of the biggest gaming forum on the net for a better part of a week while amassing 1500 posts, yes you could have. Sucks that you missed out. reggie.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
reggienotmyproblem.jpg

Neither is it for the people who posted in the 30 page thread for the deal. There's a huge amount of U.S. gaffers (I'm pretty sure the majority are).

It's similar to how it sucks Australians and Brazilians have to pay $100 for games and how people outside of those countries don't care, except this is on a much bigger scale with it being the U.S.

Meh, I can buy Far Cry 4 from India for £18 and get a better version of the game.

diaspora

reggienotmyproblem.jpg

Nobody uses Aus and Brazil as examples to why consoles games are expensive because using a single country's deal/price is not a counter to superior PC prices no matter how much you'd like it to. "B-b-but 30 pages" is a joke.

omonimo

Banned
That previous consoles didn't suddenly gained performance increases that PC parts didn't get. A PC that outperforms the consoles right now will continue to do so for the rest of the generation. And don't forget that the gap between consoles and PC is a lot bigger this time.
I know but we live with this from the last 5 years, I missed the overdrama. Ps4 it's a budget machine with the best configuration possible, we can't pretend nothing more for 399 bucks.

Nobody uses Aus and Brazil as examples to why consoles games are expensive because using a single country's deal/price is not a counter to superior PC prices no matter how much you'd like it to. "B-b-but 30 pages" is a joke.
It's the U.S. We're not talking about Belgium here. The highest percentage of neogaffers are from the U.S. Using that "it doesn't count because it's a single country!" line is disingenuous at best.

diaspora

It's the U.S. We're not talking about Belgium here. The highest percentage of neogaffers are from the U.S.

Nobody cares about how many gaffers are from what region. Most gamers will get their games cheaper on PC. Full stop, end of story. One temporary bestbuy deal in one country will not change that fact. And pages? Really? OT2 of Steam Summer sales 2014 was 400, much less 30.

This generation is different than last. The Xbox 360 came out taking a loss with a GPU comparable to the high end 2005 single GPU. This gen the consoles are coming out with GPUs comparable to $150 GPUs at launch. Comparing video game performance with flops doesn't work especially Nvidia to AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1130

Here's a r7-260x vs 750 ti. The r7-260x is a 1.971 Tflops gpu and the 750 ti is a 1.306 Tflops gpu. In game performance the 750ti outperforms the AMD GPU in the majority of benchmarks. The AMD generally performs better in compute. If I remember right the 500 series GPUs were beast in compute but then Nvidia gimped 600+ series to push their tesla cards for compute workstations. You're underestimating the 750ti vs the GPU in the PS4.

This gen the difference in resolution aimed at for consoles compared to what PC gamers were playing at are far closer. Last gen consoles were doing ~1280x720 vs PC gamers being spread about 1680x1050, 1920x1200, and 1920x1080 with every year it inching more and more towards a 1920x1080 majority. Now its consoles shooting for 1920x1080 and PC gamers mostly being 1920x1080. Last gen you never saw GPUs benchmarked at 1280x720 outside of laptops. It was usually 1680x1050/1600x900 minimum up to 2560x1600/1440. Resolutions are on a closer playing field now. Now also because of the Xbox One being DX11 and DX12 compliant, PC games won't be hamstrung by DX9 for so many years.

Nobody cares about how many gaffers are from what region. Most gamers will get their games cheaper on PC. Full stop, end of story. One temporary bestbuy deal in one country will not change that fact.
...the country that happens to be the biggest gaming market in the world and represents like 40% of the Neogaf userbase.

"Temporary" = 6 years for me, by the way. A lot of people got it well into the 2020s, too. Odds are there will be another deal before those 6 years are over for me.

jblank83

That seems incredibly bloated. Right now my PC is using 4GB of RAM and of that, 1.2GB is to MySQL server and 1GB is to firefox with 10 tabs open, including Youtube and a Coursera video lecture...

Same. My OS never takes up more than 1gb, give or take a little.

Top Bottom