• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the bad vibes on Mass Effect Andromeda?

Lime

I honestly feel like they're not doing much new even though they're going into a completely new galaxy. There'll be the not-Citadel, the not-Mako, the not-Normandy, the not-Garrus, the not-Wrex, the not-Liara, the not-Collectors, and so forth. What's the point of wiping the entire fiction away if they're just copying what was already there before?

Maybe they are actually doing something new, but right now it seems to do a The Force Awakens where everything from the old games are referenced (i.e. banking on nostalgia and memorability). Instead of creating something new and exciting, the unclear and vague marketing just tells me that this will be the same Mass Effect with the same type of characters, combat, and vehicles as from before.

Mass Effect is the only AAA sci-fi RPG out there and I really like what they went for in the first game in terms of direction, style and atmosphere, but with Bioware since KOTOR they've pretty much always just produced these jack-of-all-trades RPGs and instead of improving or iterating on their flaws, they just completely scrap their concepts and throw in some new half-baked idea as replacement.

Anyway, I think Eatchildren has pretty much laid out why and where the general perception of the game is at the moment.

I honestly feel like they're not doing much new even though they're going into a completely new galaxy. There'll be the not-Citadel, the not-Mako, the not-Normandy, the not-Garrus, the not-Wrex, the not-Liara, the not-Collectors, and so forth. What's the point of wiping the entire fiction away if they're just copying what was already there before?

While I do get there's a potential of this all occurring, considering we've seen like a grand total of 10 minutes of the game I don't think this is an accurate assessment.

Though I would say it is entirely Bioware's fault if people are getting this kind of impression of Andromeda. They should be leading with all the things that make it different, instead of the things they think fans will recognize and connect to.

Bad animation and lip sync are just a modern staple of RPGs. You will have to cut corners when doing animation work for thousands of lines of dialogue.

I haven't player The Witcher 3 but I'd classify it as an exception, not the rule in that department.

Where Bioware have really dropped the ball is in the storytelling aspect with their lack of focus on characters and plot.

HotHamBoy

They produce popular, well reviewed, highly distinctive games. Their latest one was well received by the fans and won a number of fan voted awards.

Whether they're "not that great" is obviously subjective, but even so I don't see how that warrants the ocean of vitriol that Neogaf spews at the mention of their name.

It's the fall from grace.

It's one thing to have always been mediocre, it's another thing to have once been great.

Betty

Banned
Animations are sucky

Combat looks as rigid and unenjoyable as ever

The name sucks

That portion they thought good enough to reveal the game at the PS4Pro conference was dire.

RedSwirl

Bad animation and lip sync are just a modern staple of RPGs. You will have to cut corners when doing animation work for thousands of lines of dialogue.

I haven't player The Witcher 3 but I'd classify it as an exception, not the rule in that department.

Where Bioware have really dropped the ball is in the storytelling aspect with their lack of focus on characters and plot.

This is what I've been thinking the whole time too. When people say that animation looks terrible, what are they comparing it to? Uncharted 4? No open-world RPG with thousands of lines of dialogue and hundreds of NPCs is going to have animation that good.

Renekton

I really disliked how the characters in Inquisition had such modern plastic surgery faces,make up & hairstyles that really don't jive with the setting at all.

It just looked terrible in this regard.

Look at her puffy lips,fake cheeks & nose.
What do you think of the supermodels in FFXV and Witcher 3?

HeelPower

What do you think of the supermodels in FFXV and Witcher 3?

Not much of a fan of FFXV designs.

While yes Witcher 3 had plenty of beautiful characters (mostly the women were,the men weren't excessively pretty),I thought it did a really good job of making them look naturally beautiful.

DA: I has a plastic surgery/modern super model look to it that just clashes horribly with the time period.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is what I've been thinking the whole time too. When people say that animation looks terrible, what are they comparing it to? Uncharted 4? No open-world RPG with thousands of lines of dialogue and hundreds of NPCs is going to have animation that good.
Besides the Witcher 3 but it's the gold standard for a reason.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
For me because while I really liked ME3 (ME2 > ME3 >> ME1), you started to notice a shift in development. It appears EA was not happy with the way Bioware burned money before and adopted a more template driven development approach. The Ubisoft model. Farm as much as you can to secondary studios across the globe so they can work on content continuously and concurrently.

The problem with this is that if you want to do it really efficiently, those secondary studios shouldn't throw up any bottlenecks for the main story, so ideally none of the things they make should actually matter to the critical path. You have one studio that develops the critical path, and N amount of studios that create what is basically busywork for the game. In ME3 these were clearly the multiplayer maps they used to pad out the campaign. Now obviously people don't like feeling that they're doing nonsense padding, so you tie it in to a bullshit metric ('galactic readiness level') and hey presto, game with 30 hour campaign ready to ship in two years. I don't like this busywork, not just because it's busywork, but also because it's predictable. The only predictable thing I want in my exploration based RPG is a narrative arc and that there are waifus. Predictable templates are the antithesis to narrative RPGs.

Then Bioware said we listened to your critique of the Galactic Readiness level, we shan't do it again! And then released Dragon Age Inquisition, which was basically one big loool fuck you. With busywork up the wazoo, real world timers, and the gall to actually level gate based on whether they deemed you did enough inane busywork.

Then they make the studio who were responsible for the busywork in ME3 in charge of the full MEA game. Now studios obviously just do what they're told, so I didn't want to hold that against them. Besides, EA said they learned from the critique that Inquisition got, and MEA would be nothing like that.

Then we finally get the bullet points marketing for MEA a few months before release and loooooool fuck you twice EVERYTHING IS BUSYWORK. There might not actually be a complete story, just groundwork for the busywork.

Mass Effect is my favorite universe since Secret of Mana, so I will buy the game regardless, but if it really is just a lot of busywork then so help me God I will sign up to the Bioware Social Forums and become exactly like those people.

I'm glad you like Mass Effect, but I'm sorry - I'm not following what you're saying here. What did we show that was busywork? Why do you think there might not be a complete story?

Vamphuntr

MMO fetch quests aren't an issue when they are completely optional. Every single open world game does it. The main issue with DAI was that there were few actual story missions and they were gated behind the terrible fetch quests. It felt really unrewarding as it felt like most of the game was padding. You had to fill an Inquisition Power bar or whatever to progress.

Hyun Sai

It's been a while since I played both games, so I might have some things wrong, but I'll write the things I remember. I also never played the MP in ME3, just FYI.

In ME2, all enemies have additional layers of protection on Insanity and the one difficulty setting below that. This has a significant impact on how you play the game, and I actually think the game on lower difficulty settings is much worse. When for example Husks don't have any armor, they're completely trivial (even in large groups) as you can just lift them with bionics and you're done. The same thing is true in ME3. It has a pretty large effect on most basic enemies; it forces you to play more strategically and it makes picking the right powers and squad members a lot more important. You can't just do biotic explosions on everyone from the get go.

Another change I don't like is the cool down system. I get that a lot of people probably think the equip load vs cool down system is a good addition, but if you minimize the cool downs they're simply too short. I forget the exact number, but as an Adept I think you can cast the quick powers like Throw with cool downs less than 2 seconds. I don't like it because it made playing an Adept (my preferred class) turn into nothing but spamming powers. In ME2 the powers have long cool downs. Maybe some people think they're too long, but it means that you a) have to be more considerate in how you use them b) have to use your guns as well. ME2 introduced an ammo system, and I found myself actually going around looking for ammo, changing weapons during combat because of ammo etc. That never happened in ME3, I used my gun so sparingly it was never an issue. Maybe not the case if you play a Soldier, but why play a Soldier heh. Being able to spam powers that rapidly simply wasn't enjoyable for me, but I did it because it seemed like the most effective way to play.

The third thing I don't like is the encounter design, and the enemy design / variety. ME2 had a butt load of different enemy types. They would be too many to list here, but it was basically every race in the game, spread across at least five different factions. I'll concede that the differences between them were to some extent superficial, but in a 40 hour RPG variety is nice. You know you only ever fight the Collectors on three missions in ME2, and that makes each time feel kind of special.

ME3 has two main enemy factions (Cerberus and Reapers), with some Geth every now and then. Not only is there less variety off the bat (no Vorcha, no Batarians, no Krogans etc. not even any of those fun but easy mechs), but I straight up like all the enemy designs way less. I don't like how the Cerberus troops look and I don't like how they sound, and I don't like fighting them. I don't like the riot shield guys, I don't like the shield generators and I don't like the turrets. This sounds stupid, but I even think the bipedal mechs look way worse than the robot ones in ME2.

The Reapers are slightly better I suppose, they did try to give them some diversity, but again as a matter of personal taste I just don't like them as enemies. Their designs simply don't appeal to me in the least. As for the encounter design, there are a lot of them where you're expected to run around constantly, because enemies keep coming and you'll get flanked if you don't. You say the rushing is better, which might be true, but it's not good. I don't think these types of encounters work well at all together with the game systems they designed. Which isn't to say that I think you should be able to go through every combat encounter without moving, I don't think you should and that wasn't the case in ME2, but I don't think the extent to which you have to run around in ME3 is good.

Then there's small shit like how I think all the weapons in ME3 sound weak as hell, even the ones I like from ME2. Or how the customisation system people were so happy to have is kinda lame because the weapon upgrades aren't all that interesting.

It's just personal taste in the end. I like ME2's combat pace much more than ME3's, which I think feels less strategic, and the fact that I hardly enjoy any of the enemy designs in the game makes the game so much more of a chore to play. I kept replaying ME2 just for the combat, whereas in ME3 I never got to the point of even enjoying it.

That's about how I felt and why ME3 campaign and missions bored me to hell whereas I had so much fun with my ME2 adept run in insanity. Only the multiplayer gave me that good feeling, the maps and encounters were much more better.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
MMO fetch quests aren't an issue when they are completely optional. Every single open world game does it. The main issue with DAI was that there were few actual story missions and they were gated behind the terrible fetch quests. It felt really unrewarding as it felt like most of the game was padding. You had to fill an Inquisition Power bar or whatever to progress.

I'm two-thirds through the critical path. It flows nicely IMO. Just story chapter after story chapter, with a good number of optional side quests.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seeing how bad ME2 and ME3 were and how bad DA;I was I have little faith in Andromeda being anything more than mediocre. Looks pretty but most of the games have. I kind of wish they would have done a totally different game with similar themes to the first trilogy.

m_dorian

I ll end up buying Andromeda eventually, i know this of my self. Not day one ofcourse, it is neither wise of me as a consumer nor my trust is earned by them. And i keep my fingers crossed that this time i ll get to play a great Bioware game, it has been a long time since.

From what i have seen Andromeda looks good, it is going to be a visually rewarding experience. However i have doubts about how the story progresses, modern Bioware suffers from mediocre writing. And i particularly do not like the new Asari companion at all. She seems out of place, uninteresting and annoying and i also do not like her stupid looks.
Also, they need to work on their sidequests, i hope we will not have the ME3 method of getting them.

Anyway, I hope for the best, i fear for the worst.

Davey Cakes

The only game in this series that I've played is the first Mass Effect. Everything I've heard about the rest of the series has made me wary. It's always sounded like a bunch of wasted potential.

I liked the first game a lot. It wasn't perfect but it was a nice starting point as a next-generation step up from the KOTOR games. Everything since has seemed so lukewarm from the gaming community. I just don't know.

Andromeda seemed like a perfect chance to reboot things after the divisive second and (especially) third games but it'll be a huge disappointment if it's a misstep.

GamerJM

Banned
I never played the original series, but I think the fact that it's open world would probably put a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people given the current gaming landscape. It looks a lot more samey to me from what I've seen than the originals.

HeatBoost

Personally nothing they've shown so far has captured my imagination, and if anything weird crap like funky character designs and corny samey Bioware dialog have dampened it

That plus they keep saying it's so close with no real specifics makes me question how clear the vision behind it is.

I didn't hate Mass Effect 3, but I thought "Ehh this is not an improvement" relative to ME2, or even offering an alternate approach that was (in my opinion) comparable valid like ME1 to 2. I'm worried this is going to continue the downward trend.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I simply can't critique the open planets of Andromeda without seeing more of how they play and, more importantly, experience them for myself. I liked aimlessly wandering in Inquisition, but I loathed the MMO-like fetch questing structure and weak pacing between story chapters. Meanwhile I adored The Witcher 3 and did literally everything. I get bored with modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout despite not really having a huge abundance or emphasis on MMO-like questing. Yet I did absolutely everything Sleeping Dogs and would probably do it again. Some people hated Mass Effect 1's drab empty nothingness planets of repeated assets and base templates, yet I adored and missed them terribly in both sequels.

I just don't know. I can't know. Obviously Inquisition warrants caution but still; I couldn't possibly know how the game flows and paces, quest structure, and balance between side stuff and main game stuff and even what any of that constitutes as.

15strong

All they have shown if action gameplay. For me really to be interested in another mass effect, I want to see more on the story, characters, and choices you make. They have shown none of that. I have plenty of games out there where I can shoot things. I want to see the next gen step in terms of personal story telling and choices.

Renekton

Not much of a fan of FFXV designs.

While yes Witcher 3 had plenty of beautiful characters (mostly the women were,the men weren't excessively pretty),I thought it did a really good job of making them look naturally beautiful.

DA: I has a plastic surgery/modern super model look to it that just clashes horribly with the time period.
W3 does not look natural to me.

TheRed

I hated DA:I
So I'm not really hyped for this. Idk if Bioware can make something I really like anymore. Last was ME2.

I'm still in because I'm a pretty graphics whore and need to see cool space vistas on my gtx 1080. I at least think they can pull those off well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ill get Andromeda if the multiplayer is good. ME3 story might have been a disappointment story wise but the mp was reallly good. Ive checked out of the story so the mp will have to sell me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
W3 does not look natural to me.
They literally went in and gave Yennefer more flaws like skin marks and an older appearance instead of a porcelain doll look because it looks more naturalistic:
VObPvMh.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Repeats aside there's a great amount of diversity in the Witcher 3's character models when it comes to the character designs of women, some look tired, some have skin marks and other various flaws, some have nice hair, some don't, some have eye bags, different face shapes, hell there's even nude scenes with old women in them, who'd have thunk? I found a video to showcase this but, gets really creepy in the end so not gonna link it. :|

tuxfool

Banned
They literally went in and gave Yennefer more flaws like skin marks and an older appearance instead of a porcelain doll look because it looks more naturalistic.
The sorceresses magically enhance their looks, so there is actually a certain perfection to be expected.

Ralemont

not me
What did we show that was busywork?

Scanning is automatically going to trigger some people as being busywork, though I'm withholding judgment to see how Andromeda uses it. We also saw mineral collection in the latest trailer.

Obviously some people are just pulling assumptions and assertions out of their rear, but you guys are also fighting against some of the information from that huge survey leak awhile ago which detailed meta-systems, and meta-systems signals busywork to some.

For example:

Strike missions can be done automatically or personally. That makes it sound like the missions aren't actually unique content. So, busywork.

The leak said BioWare was aiming for 100 planets. Even BioWare can't fill 100 planets with unique content. So it sounded like a lot of planets would feel like ME1's optional planets, which I personally thought were dull and devoid of unique content. Now it's entirely possible the design philosophy's changed on that. I think Mac said something in a recent interview about how there's a handful of planets with a lot of story, NPCs, quest chains etc. That sounded great. We don't know how much of the game that constitutes, though. Are there a handful of planets with a lot of narrative care and then 80 planets that feel more throwaway? Or have you guys refocused on a handful of optional planets to provide a tighter, more memorable experience?

The leak said something about upgrading your capabilities through colonies, etc and that this allows you to explore deeper into the galaxy. This could be construed as similar to Dragon Age Inquisition's content gating, where you can only open up new planets once you fill your meta meters high enough. Or it could be the case that these new planets are simply too tough in terms of enemies and environmental hazards and that progressing will allow you to tackle these challenges organically. We don't know since we haven't been shown.

"Establishing colonies" is going to remind people of Fallout 4's settlements which some vehemently hate and would consider "busywork."

Personally I have been hearing a lot of great things from your actual marketing push. Like you guys saying there aren't any "collect 10 goat meat" quests or how the design philosophy for compelling narratives on planets was focusing on fleshing out NPCs and factions, etc. I'm hearing all the right things. But a lot of it has also been pretty vague and so you're going to get both the concerned and the concern trolls complaining loudly about the possibility of Andromeda's scope exceeding its capability to deliver memorable, unique side quests, which was DAI's big failing.

To illustrate two paradigms from BioWare itself, we can look at Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 had excellent side quests. Grissom Academy, Turian bomb mission, Asari Monastery, Aralakh company. Those side quests were so good that people forget they are side quests. Then ME3 had the fetch quests from the Citadel that you solved by scanning drive-bys on planets. Now it's obviously unreasonable to expect Grissom Academy level side quests to litter every planet in Andromeda. But I still think you can separate ME3's side quests and fetch quests by design philosophy and a feeling of the quest being unique and mattering. It's a quest you tell your friends about. So naturally I'm left wondering just how much of Andromeda's optional exploration is going to feel like ME3's side quests or its fetch quests.

The scope of MEA itself is going to make this a tough job for you guys. Each previous ME game was...what? 40 hours for a complete playthrough with all optional content? It doesn't sound to me like MEA is going for that compact, tight completionist playthrough. It sounds more like it's going for DAI's completionist playthrough time. Now if you can truly fill MEA with 100 hours of great content then more power to you but it hasn't been demonstrated as possible in the AAA space except for a Polish developer that can accomplish it off cheap labor, government money, and years of crunching by an exhausted staff.

Andromeda is my most anticipated game next year so I'm definitely interested in seeing how Andromeda's optional content feels in terms of design philosophy. I'm not worried about the story, characters, or combat at all.

ghostjoke

Banned
>Bioware
>Post-2010
>"open world" keeps getting thrown around
>No Iron Bull to get pounded by

It's been a painful 6 year learning process, but I'm finally there.

Visual representation of recent Bioware and their attempts to "improve" their games:
q2gK3JS.gif

tuxfool

Banned
I personally don't think either look unrealistic, but they both look like supermodels lol. Those "flaws" are incredibly minor
They're supposed to, for more reasons than just appealing to an audience. If anybody has been prettified vis-a-vis the descriptions in the book, it would be Geralt.

tootie923

This is like the thread of nightmares, everyone's reposting that horrible Ryder clayface over and over again. That said, I'm going to go into this game with an open mind, as I liked ME3 and DA:I.

Moaradin

I don't have bad vibes. I'm a Mass Effect fan so obviously I'm looking forward to it, but we've still seen very little of the game so it's pretty hard to say anything good or bad about it yet.

I am just worried about combat, so far is just feel dull and spamm abilities till is dead. like Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition without the tactical mode

Atomic Odin

Its funny really. On one hand they would tell anyone who'd care to listen that Andromeda has absolutely nothing to do with the previous trilogy, how they want to wash their hands of the previous canon after writing themselves in a corner with ME3.

And yet by the looks of it all the familiar tropes (both ME & bioware in general) look like they will make it in the game again, including bland facial expressions.

> But all of a sudden it seems everyone is predicting the game to be a massive disappointment..

Hilariously bad animations and what looks to be dumb and hamfisted combat. And everything else looked generic as fuck or a rehash from the last 3 games.

Honest response?
- Bioware's continuous simplyfication of their RPG formula. In ME3 they simplyfied so many RPG elements and cut out so much content that even the second game had that it was way more 3rd Person Shooter than RPG. Heck, that you could play the game in "Action Mode" that replaced all dialogue with cutscenes so you could just focus on shooting things is pretty telling.

At times it felt more like I was playing an arena shooter simply because pretty much all the missions, no matter how promising the onset was, was literally "land there, run around and interact a bit with the environment, then fight Cerberus/Reapers."
You fight nothing but the same Cerberus and Reaper goons over and over again, for the entire game. No various alien mercenaries, no rogue soldiers, no Collectors, no angry Krogans (which were always fun to fight), no Rachni outside of one or two reaper versions, nothing. That one mission where you land at a Asari cloister that went radio silent and no one is responding anymore and all the characters are puzzling what was happening there? I simply thought "it can't be Cerberus so it is definitely reapers". No big surprise, I was right. There were no surprises anymore. Every mission was like tha:t If you played two or three rounds of Multiplayer before getting into the SP campaign you have literally fought all you can ever face. And no, 3 token missions against the Geth (whom I have been facing in the previous games in army sized contingents, with exactly the same roster) wasn't enough to mix that up.

Also only having one hub (that you fully explored in a matter of half an hour - with little change from beginning to the end) was an insult after Mass Effect 2 and the much, much more elaborate hub in ME1.
All in all combined it didn't feel like I was playing in a living, breathing Sci-Fi universe full of variation and wonder anymore.
Hope they manage to change these elements again for the better, but I'm not optimistic that we will see a big return to more RPG and variation focused gameplay at least on the levels of ME2. Sure the ME3 MP was fun (probably more so than the main game, hah), but that doesn't prevent them from doing a varied campaign. It literally felt like they developed the ME3 MP first and then did all the SP missions based on that instead, particularly when it came to enemy variety.

- ME3 ending: Nothing to say there really, burned me pretty hard.

-Dragon Age Inquisition and the introduction of massive, extremely boring filler content for the sake of "open world" and introduction of extremely annoying F2P mobile game style elements (cough, War Table, cough) and in your face microtransactions. After Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2 and Witcher 3 I expect more. "100 planets!!!1111111111111111" doesn't inspire confidence in that matter. I value interesting, well designed content at a high density (see Mass Effect 2) over a high but meaningless number of virtual traversable square kilometers.

- New Mass Effect with a new setting and you still can't play as Turian or Krogan or anything other than a human for that matter. Come on, I don't want to play "human with authority becomes Jesus and saves the galaxy against evil threat" all over again (I already did that for 3 games). Playing as Turians or Krogans in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was awesome and there is so much potential in a character creator with the various alien species even if simply for class diversity as every species clearly favours a certain type of the existing classes in the game. Instead we are going to play with a human that out-techs Salarians and is outpsying Asari again. And that's before tapping into the huge storytelling potential taking the various animosities between the various alien races into account (imagine playing as Turian and having to deal with Krogans diplomatically). Or a Salari main character with dialogue options similar to Mordin and who has to face the fact that he is likely going to die in less than 10 years because of his low life expectancy. Heck, one alien race in addition to humans would have been enough for me, just not the same old stuff again. Bioware managed to do that with various races in Dragon Age (heck, all of them even with individual game starts and story), why not Mass Effect?

Very well thought out, informed and precise response to Bioware
Dito, couldn't have said it better myself.

Atomic Odin

I recently finished a ME3 playthrough with the expanded galaxy mod installed. And though it cannot change the fundamental aspect of enemy variations and everything, it was a nice experience overall especially when you could take out your ME2 crew for missions in main game, get to choose a lot of Normandy crew, some dialogue changes and the added missions.

The little things it added, created the whole war atmosphere much better than the base game.

Freeman76

Nobody knows anywhere near enough to pass judgment its just the usual whiny ass gamers who think they know everything and their opinion is always right. Its a load of bollocks basically, dont be dumb enough to get drawn into it.

Top Bottom