• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
No, I think it's more likely that the redesign and price cut are leading to a more extended bump than expected. The release of Vesperia and Silver Week may have helped a little, but I think the big driver here is the Slim itself.
Ye, i think that you are correct. After seeing the other hardware numbers, there wasnt really much bump (if any) in those sales, so i guess that the Silver Week didnt have too much affect indeed. I thought that the Silver Week would have a bigger affect on the overall sales because it was vacation time. Doesnt people in Japan usually buy more stuff when there is a vacation, like due to Golden Week for example?

Cosmonaut X said:
Next week will be very interesting, as I expect a decent increase for the Wii but I'm not sure whether we'll see it go anywhere near the PS3 - IIRC the price cut just isn't the same, the Wii was already in reasonably affordable territory and it doesn't have the appeal of a new design.
cvxfreak said:
I was pretty damn sure of the PS3 Slim performing phenomenally after launch. Sometimes intuition works to your favor. It honestly helps to live in the most populated part of Japan, where you can gauge interest based on advertising, store space, and general sentiment. I wasn't BSing when I said it would be huge a month ago.

The Wii after its price drop, however, I honestly am not too sure of. Of course it'll boost sales, but I don't think Japanese gamers were clamoring to save ¥5000 the way people obviously wanted to save another ¥10,000 before buying a PS3. We'll see starting tomorrow.
Good points. I am really wondering how the PS3 and Wii sales will look in the upcoming weeks and months :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
pseudocaesar said:
I dont think so, it appears to be the opposite. The PS3 is stealing the Wii's thunder, and has been for a little while now.
And doing so it has removed any hope Microsoft could have in Japan (if it had any).

donny2112

schuelma said:
Yeah..I'm not too sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the "bump" is to like 35-40K which wouldn't be very horrible.

Fixed. Without a pack-in game, Nintendo should've reduced Wii to something more like 15K Yen. They're keeping price parity between regions when they aren't keeping SKU parity. It makes no sense.

jett said:
bububu the only reason the PS3 didn't drop like a sack of potatoes last week was because of Vesperia, this doesn't make any sense at all!

You quoted the wrong system's sales. The Wii number is anything but unexpected.

pseudocaesar said:
I dont think so, it appears to be the opposite. The PS3 is stealing the Wii's thunder, and has been for a little while now.

I agree that it has been completely. But I think the price drop will bump the Wii numbers above the PS3 numbers until some of the big games hit during the holiday season.

Edit: I shouldn't say above, they'll probably be at parity.

FrankT

gogogow said:

K, similar MC drop would put it around 46k. Wii and PS3 may be at par this week then. Should be interesting.

jett said:
bububu the only reason the PS3 didn't drop like a sack of potatoes last week was because of Vesperia, this doesn't make any sense at all!

That was a week over week drop of 10%.c Edit was edited.

obaidr said:
so if the price was already slashed in this week, then i was right about the market potential of the Wii in Japan at least. Maybe japan is more software driven then US and EU. since there are no big titels coming which attract to new Wii owners people dont buy the Wii at very high rate. I think we can compare Mario to Halo. When Halo 3 was released in the US couple of years ago the Hardware sale numbers moved up by a very tiny rate since the Halo audience was already on the train. Other titles moved the Hardware much stronger then Halo 3 did, even if it was THE game for Xbox360 like GTA or Mass Effect. We could see the same effect for the Wii. The market potential of the Wii on the Mario and Zelda Market could already be almost maxed out. New big titles like Monster Hunter would mean big jump for the Hardware but Mario and Zelda and Sports Resort not so much but where are they?

The PS3 seems to live from the word of mouth right now, since we didnt had any big releases this week. Also the fact that CoD4 is in the charts could be a indicator for that. People buy PS3s with the new price tag not because of new but also because of existing software on the system. I strongly believe the people who bought CoD4 are late to market adopters who just entered the PS3 market and now jump on such titles like CoD4 because they can get them for cheap and heard a lot of good stuff about it.
The price was cut this week. These sales are last week's. We don't have any data yet about this week's sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
You quoted the wrong system's sales. The Wii number is anything but unexpected.

And higher than I would have predicted honestly. Either sales were starting to go up half the week in anticipation for Wii Fit + or no one gives a shit about the price drop.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Yeah..I'm not too sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the "bump" is to like 35-40K which wouldn't be very impressive.

The problem with Nintendo's approach to the Wii beginning tomorrow is that there's no identity reboot. Granted, the Wii had its identity on day one (something I'd say even the DS didn't until later), but other than the price drop, there's nothing else that, in theory, will finally get Japanese gamers to buy the Wii when they didn't before (excluding the most price conscious customers).

The Wii has its own brand of gaming and it alone. The PS3, meanwhile, became cheaper, smaller and could play Blu-Rays. Japan's government is also currently encouraging consumers to pick up new electronics that are friendly to the environment, including HDTVs, making the PS3 an ideal match.

MH3 and the Black Wii were nice tries, but I think Nintendo needs to be even more aggressive. Unless Wii Fit Plus ends up being a MHP2G, I can't see it having a big effect other than continuing the legs from where the original Wii Fit left off. I think an Apple approach would have worked here. Increase the internal storage, change the packaging up a bit, finally throw in the Classic Controller Pro and Motion + into the package to increase the value.

That's how I see it, but we don't know what the price drop will yield just yet. For all we know, it just might be what Nintendo needs.

onipex

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I did? There were a lot of people who said there was little to no chance of the PS3 repeating the 50k mark. I guess what I typed seemed like a bit of a troll, but it was more of a commentary on the pessimistic outlook many seemed to have had over whether or not the price drop was really effective.

I think it is the slim more than the price cut. Sony should be happy but Nintendo should not be that worried yet. It took a lot for Sony to get here but they still have a long way to go.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
The problem with Nintendo's approach to the Wii beginning tomorrow is that there's no identity reboot. Granted, the Wii had its identity on day one (something I'd say even the DS didn't until later), but other than the price drop, there's nothing else that, in theory, will finally get Japanese gamers to buy the Wii when they didn't before (excluding the most price conscious customers).

The Wii has its own brand of gaming and it alone. The PS3, meanwhile, became cheaper, smaller and could play Blu-Rays. Japan's government is also currently encouraging consumers to pick up new electronics that are friendly to the environment, including HDTVs, making the PS3 an ideal match.

MH3 and the Black Wii were nice tries, but I think Nintendo needs to be even more aggressive. Unless Wii Fit Plus ends up being a MHP2G, I can't see it having a big effect other than continuing the legs from where the original Wii Fit left off. I think an Apple approach would have worked here. Increase the internal storage, change the packaging up a bit, finally throw in the Classic Controller Pro and Motion + into the package to increase the value.

That's how I see it, but we don't know what the price drop will yield just yet. For all we know, it just might be what Nintendo needs.

Good post. I would add along the same lines that I've been dumbfounded by Nintendo's marketing and approach to Wii for a while now. On one hand you have WSR launching with Motion+ (though without any further support for the Japanese market even announced). On the other hand, you have this push for traditional gamers and traditional control with MH Tri/CC Pro and then the SW3 CC Pro bundle later in the year. I don't see any clear and consistent branding. Is this system for grandmas or for teens? If its supposed to be for both as I'm sure Nintendo would say, then pack in the pheripherals needed for both groups to be satisfied right out of the box. The whole approach just seems a bit scatterbrained and lacking focus IMO.

WKC
2008-12-22 1 203,033 203,033
2008-12-29 6 72,806 275,839
2009-01-05 9 24,773 300,612
2009-01-12 20 10,279 310,891
2009-06-22 0 0 337,524

ToV has fallen behind WKC, which had a much stronger hold on its 2nd week. Looks like WKC will retain the best selling HD RPG crown for another few months still.

EXGN

Call of Duty 4 PS3 has charted the last few weeks hasn't it? Surprising...

Anyways, next week will be interesting. Wii price drop will have hit full effect then, though I don't believe there is any new software to support it. Next week does have NGS2 and a new Musou game for the PS3, though, if I remember correctly?

Also, I'm eager to see the PSP Go launch. How's the anticipation level for it in Japan? I know that's it's most popular region, but in the the West it's been highly criticized, with a lot of retailers indicating there's no demand for it.

schuelma

EXGN said:

Anyways, next week will be interesting. Wii price drop will have hit full effect then, though I don't believe there is any new software to support it. Next week does have NGS2 and a new Musou game for the PS3, though, if I remember correctly?

Wii Fit + launches the same day

test_account

XP-39C²
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Next week will be pretty awesome numbers wise. It will be interesting to see if the market will tolerate three systems selling at 50k units a week. I severely doubt it though. I think the Wii and the DS are going to effectively steal the PS3 thunder.

Edit: Not that the DSi hasn't been already :lol
I think that the Wii needs to sell quite much next week and that the PS3 sales needs to drop quite a bit (maybe down to 25k or so?) for the Wii to really steal PS3's thunder next week. If the PS3 sales next week is around 40k-50k, i think that it will keep most of it's thunder, unless the Wii sells much more than the PS3 though. But who knows what will happend, i think that it shall be interesting to see what happends at least :)

EXGN said:

Also, I'm eager to see the PSP Go launch. How's the anticipation level for it in Japan? I know that's it's most popular region, but in the the West it's been highly criticized, with a lot of retailers indicating there's no demand for it.
Isnt Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 being released tomorrow (1st of October), or am i mistaken?

swerve

cvxfreak said:
I think Nintendo needs to be even more aggressive.

And to do that doesn't require more Wii Fit, it requires more games with the *freshness* of Wii Fit.

It's not a surprise that Nintendo (or any company) is unable to keep producing world-wide phenomena like brain training and wii sports, but it is a surprise that they are so lacking in aggression when it comes to defending their position at home.

Wii Fit Plus and NSMB are safe bets, but they aren't game changers. Something's got to give in Japan soon, or they really will appear to have simply run out of steam (despite growing as a company bigger than at any time in the last 20 years).

They don't have some 'secret weapon' to turn things back around in Japan or they'd have fired it by now. Their ability to excite their home base has been lacking - even by pre-Wii standards - this year. That's the most surprising thing.

schuelma said:
The whole approach just seems a bit scatterbrained and lacking focus IMO.

It's not scatterbrained, it's half-assed. This is what happens when you believe your own insipid platitudes and try to coast on your existing successes because you're doing "good enough."

swerve said:
It's not a surprise that Nintendo (or any company) is unable to keep producing world-wide phenomena like brain training and wii sports, but it is a surprise that they are so lacking in aggression when it comes to defending their position at home.

It's not really a surprise IMO; they're following the same tack they took with the DS, it's just that the third-parties aren't lining up of their own accord this time. At this point in the DS' lifetime, Nintendo announcements like YI2 were icing on a cake whose present selling point was already shifting away from Nintendo's own bazillion-selling software.

Firewire

Banned
I don't pop into MC threads that much but I was surprised to see this

Famitsu Sales: 09/21 - 09/27

DSL 10000
DSi 66000
PSP 20000
Wii 13000
PS3 50000
PS2 3500
360 3700

Just out of curiosity what is the lowest the PS2 and Xbox 360 charted sales wise. Because these look to be rock bottom.

charlequin said:
It's not scatterbrained, it's half-assed. This is what happens when you believe your own insipid platitudes and try to coast on your existing successes because you're doing "good enough."

95% average student first term, doesn't bother going to class second term and instead spends his mad scholarship scrilla on booze, hookers and blow. Ends year with a 60%.

test_account

XP-39C²
Firewire said:
I don't pop into MC threads that much but I was surprised to see this

Just out of curiosity what is the lowest the PS2 and Xbox 360 charted sales wise. Because these look to be rock bottom.
Unfortunately i am not sure what the lowest PS2 sales are, but i know that Xbox 360 has been lower at least. If i remember correctly, about 1-2 years ago or so it wasnt that uncommon that the Xbox 360 sold about 2k-2.5k on a normal week (as in no big titled game being released or that it was a pricedrop etc.) in Japan.

Dragona Akehi said:
95% average student first term, doesn't bother going to class second term and instead spends his mad scholarship scrilla on booze, hookers and blow. Ends year with a 60%.

Hey, me and Nintendo have something in common! :lol

schuelma said:
Well, this week does include the 3-4 days when the price cut was announced.

If next week is still PS3>Wii then Nintendo has a serious problem.

That is highly unlikely to happen IMO. Wii Fit Plus and price cut probably means Wii will be the top selling HW next week above the DS.

Very good and unexpected numbers for PS3 and I'm curious to see how it'll do next week. Next week should be very interesting actually between PS3, Wii and PSP price cut (I'm hoping for a decent bump for the PSP and a new bottom line above 30k).

swerve said:
And to do that doesn't require more Wii Fit, it requires more games with the *freshness* of Wii Fit.

Wii Fit Plus and NSMB are safe bets, but they aren't game changers. Something's got to give in Japan soon, or they really will appear to have simply run out of steam (despite growing as a company bigger than at any time in the last 20 years).

They don't have some 'secret weapon' to turn things back around in Japan or they'd have fired it by now. Their ability to excite their home base has been lacking - even by pre-Wii standards - this year. That's the most surprising thing.

Without getting into the "why" of it, I think the biggest problem for Nintendo is the utter lack of any significant third-party support. Beyond a few big titles, there just isn't the breadth and depth of support that, say, the DS has. Nintendo are basically supporting the system on their own in Japan and it is taking its toll.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:

Sounds like my law school career.

Eteric Rice

It seems that Nintendo is rather good at giving something a push, but they're not good at being consistant. I mean, do you guys remember when they unvieled the Wii with Smash Bros Brawl, etc? Everyone was hyped.

They're not good at keeping their hype up, though.

It does make me consider those rumors of the WiiHD or whatever in 2011. There may be some truth to it, simply because of pressure from third parties.

cvxfreak

Eteric Rice said:
It seems that Nintendo is rather good at giving something a push, but they're not good at being consistant. I mean, do you guys remember when they unvieled the Wii with Smash Bros Brawl, etc? Everyone was hyped.

They're not good at keeping their hype up.

Nintendo did a fantastic job in 2007 and the first half of 2008.

Mario Party 8 -> Galaxy -> Mario & Sonic -> Wii Fit -> Brawl -> Mario Kart Wii

Consistent, proven, and hit franchises one right after the other. Even stuff like Umbrella Chronicles and DQ Swords were there to help. But after that...

Meanwhile, Wii Sports Resort was Nintendo's big follow up to Animal Crossing. Yikes.

I think had the third parties been more proactive about the Wii and delivered their big hits where Nintendo had gaps, then things would have turned out better. But it's not like they've had particularly bad sales on the PS360 this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dragona Akehi said:

I'll note that I didn't spend scholarship scrilla on anything illegal and I salvaged my average in the end >:|

AranhaHunter said:
That is highly unlikely to happen IMO. Wii Fit Plus and price cut probably means Wii will be the top selling HW next week above the DS.

Very good and unexpected numbers for PS3 and I'm curious to see how it'll do next week. Next week should be very interesting actually between PS3, Wii and PSP price cut (I'm hoping for a decent bump for the PSP and a new bottom line above 30k).

I don't know, but I just don't think WiiFit+ is going to sell much outside of people who already have WiiFit and therefore a Wii.

The real question mark imo is NSMB and what it'll do for hardware sales. Will it mostly just sell to the existing base, or bring in a whole load of new players?

cvxfreak

Weird. I got a big scholarship when I studied in Japan two years ago and did just fine. :lol

Which makes me a DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Great third week for slim.

A great second week for ToV PS3 as well!

Die Squirrel Die said:
WKC
2008-12-22 1 203,033 203,033
2008-12-29 6 72,806 275,839
2009-01-05 9 24,773 300,612
2009-01-12 20 10,279 310,891
2009-06-22 0 0 337,524

ToV has fallen behind WKC, which had a much stronger hold on its 2nd week. Looks like WKC will retain the best selling HD RPG crown for another few months still.
If you completely ignore ToV 360 sales.

Eteric Rice said:

They're not good at keeping their hype up, though.

It does make me consider those rumors of the WiiHD or whatever in 2011. There may be some truth to it, simply because of pressure from third parties.

Nintendo typically seem very good at getting their hardware off to a flying start, usually launching alongside some compelling software, or following up the launch very shortly with the same. This is a fantastic way of getting a system out of the gates with a bang, but as they then go into shutdown for a period as they work on the next wave of releases it means that you get long periods with not much on offer from the platform holder. When you have solid third-party support - as with the DS - these periods of relative inactivity don’t matter as much, but when it seems that third-parties would rather chew glass than develop for you - as with the Wii - then Nintendo’s approach doesn’t work.

cvxfreak said:
Weird. I got a big scholarship when I studied in Japan two years ago and did just fine. :lol

Which makes me a DS.

So you had lots of Japanese girls rubbing your lower screen.

Yes that was appalling.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lots of legitimate interrogations surrounding Nintendo.
But let's not forget their season begins now: Price cut. WiiFit+. NSMB.
Reggie would call it a 3 punch combo and he'd be quite right. I'm sure wii will perform extremely well in the next few months.

FrankT

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't know, but I just don't think WiiFit+ is going to sell much outside of people who already have WiiFit and therefore a Wii.

The real question mark imo is NSMB and what it'll do for hardware sales. Will it mostly just sell to the existing base, or bring in a whole load of new players?

This is my general feeling as well.

onipex

swerve said:

NSMB Wii is the best thing Nintendo can do to boast sales. Lets not forget the last time a true 2d Mario game was released on a home console. A true pokemon game for the Wii is the next best thing but they have not done that for any home console.
They have other IPs that the Wii is lacking ,but I don't expect anything new and fresh until the VS is released. Unless they come out with something like Wii Motor Sports or Wii Mii Life.

donny2112

marc^o^ said:
Reggie would call it a 3 punch combo

The Wii is still doing okay and looks to do really well with the price cut in the U.S. Reggie is fine. It's Japan that's been stuck in neutral since Wii Fit released.

Edit:
Looking back at the Wii Fit vs. Wii graph, it was right around E3 (when Wii Fit Plus was formally introduced) that Wii Fit's % of weekly Wii sales started slipping. Wii Fit Plus could provide a sustained increase to Wii, if those potential Wii Fit users were holding off until Wii Fit Plus to get the system.

test_account said:
I think that the Wii needs to sell quite much next week and that the PS3 sales needs to drop quite a bit (maybe down to 25k or so?) for the Wii to really steal PS3's thunder next week. If the PS3 sales next week is around 40k-50k, i think that it will keep most of it's thunder, unless the Wii sells much more than the PS3 though. But who knows what will happend, i think that it shall be interesting to see what happends at least :)

Isnt Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 being released tomorrow (1st of October), or am i mistaken?

I guess it depends on what you mean by stealing thunder. I meant more along the lines of narrowing the current gap between the system sales, but yeah, the way you put it is also true.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry, I'm confused.

Are these famitsu numbers for the same week as MC's 'second week of 50k' for PS3?

Or is this a third week of 50k? I'm a wee bit lost.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:
Sorry, I'm confused.

Are these famitsu numbers for the same week as MC's 'second week of 50k' for PS3?

Or is this a third week of 50k? I'm a wee bit lost.

This is the third week of 50k+

First was week after slim, second was Vesperia, this is the week after Vesperia.

Firewire said:
PS2 3500
360 3700

Lowest for each from Famitsu:

X360:
2006-02-27 1,020
2006-07-10 1,020
2006-08-21 1,004
2006-09-04 911
2006-09-11 854
2008-09-01 843

3,700 is actually right in the middle for X360.

PS2
2009-05-11 4,373
2009-08-24 4,125
2009-08-31 3,688
2000-11-27 3,306
2009-09-07 3,174

So yeah, PS2 is finally winding down enough to outdo the lows it hit during early shortages. 25 of its lowest 26 weeks are from this year.

DarkMehm

DMeisterJ said:
This is the third week of 50k+

First was week after slim, second was Vesperia, this is the week after Vesperia.

It's the fourth. There was a week between Launch and ToV with 57k.

Top Bottom