• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, true. But 2 Million is looking like a long shot. Even MH3 is having trouble doubling its first two days in terms of LTD.

but MH3 wasnt released during week 51, 52 and 01...

i just think it depends on S-E shipments. We heard too many different staments about FF13 first shipment.

FF10 did :

1st week - 1,75M
2nd week - 233k
3rd week - 86k

i don't think FF13 will made these results considering 2nd and 3rd week will be week 52 and 01, but of course it all depends from S-E shipments as i said above.
The real difference from the past FF is this time the game was released during the hights peak in sales, so numbers will be very different from previous releases.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This means that the number isn't from a tracker but is estimated from S-E themselves, right? Or am I wrong on this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
LINK.AGE76 said:
It took over 3 years for a third party console game to reach 1m in Japan; I find that sad.
Now that you mention it, I just realized that FFXIII beat Monster Hunter 3 to the 1 million mark.

This has been quite the extended climb.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
ZoddGutts said:
So the Wii hasn't done it? Wow thought they were a couple of them, guess not.
Third party. Wii has plenty of million sellers, but they're all from Nintendo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
LINK.AGE76 said:
It took over 3 years for a third party console game to reach 1m in Japan; I find that sad.
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy always reach a million easily. Other games? Not so much.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Moor-Angol said:
The real difference from the past FF is this time the game was released during the hights peak in sales, so numbers will be very different from previous releases.
This isn't necessary. Maybe it will have a smaller % drop next two weeks but it will have a bigger drop the following weeks. LTD there shouldn't be any big difference. Crisis Core ard Dissidia are a good example. December always shrinks the legs of a game if it is released at that period.
Dragon Quest IV and V for DS are another example.

cvxfreak

SE press release confirms that it's exclusively their numbers being quoted by all news sources, just to put any final doubts to rest.

EDIT: :lol at Google Translate

Google Translate said:
"Final Fantasy" series latest "FINAL FANTASY XIII" Notice of unit sales exceeded 100 million copies first day

cvxfreak said:
SE press release confirms that it's exclusively their numbers being quoted by all news sources, just to put any final doubts to rest.

Does it mention the bundle sales?

cvxfreak

LINK.AGE76 said:
Does it mention the bundle sales?

None. The press release explicitly mentions that bundle sales aren't counted.

Not sure WHY they are, but it's just the software itself that sold 1M.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
Take that NSMB Wii. Sure, you may have pushed a few hundred thousand Wii's, but FFXIII just caused the PS3 userbase to go up by 96 million units in a single day. I bet Nintendo didn't see that one coming.

cvxfreak said:

Could it possibly have sold out of first shipment of the game itself, so that SE knows the minimum it sold, whereas they wouldn't have any way of telling how many of the bundles are left?

cvxfreak said:

Btw, are the bundles (whatever amount) included in their 1.8m shipment? Or were they talking stand-alone software only there too?

cvxfreak

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
Could it possibly have sold out of first shipment of the game itself, so that SE knows the minimum it sold, whereas they wouldn't have any way of telling how many of the bundles are left?

This isn't possible. The game is not sold out in Japanese shops and news sources are reinforcing yesterday's 1.8M shipment quote number in conjunction with the 1M sell-through figure, both from SE. The maximum number of bundles is 200K, and there's no reason why they couldn't get approximate figures for that either. A SKU is a SKU.

Part of me wants to say that something fishy is going on, but honestly, to keep things simple, I'm willing to just take the 1M figure and wait until Famitsu or MC chime in. We'll know for sure very soon just what's up with FFXIII's sales. But it's not sold out.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, are the bundles (whatever amount) included in their 1.8m shipment? Or were they talking stand-alone software only there too?

We don't know. Well, I don't, personally. I always assumed they were. :(

This is the most puzzling thing to figure out since MH3's half-dozen SKU "awesomeness."

I wonder if SE didn't allow the usual first day number to show up on sinobi/Famitsu (and is also forceful enough to do so). I'm not sure what reason they would have since the game obviously sold quite well, but I don't remember something like this ever happened before and I do know that SE can pull some funny stunts like not allowing Famitsu to review a game in time for release.

cvxfreak

slaughterking said:
I wonder if SE didn't allow the usual first day number to show up on sinobi/Famitsu (and is also forceful enough to do so). I'm not sure what reason they would have since the game obviously sold quite well, but I don't remember something like this ever happened and I do know that SE can pull some funny stunts like not allowing Famitsu to review a game in time for release.

SE doesn't need Famitsu PR anymore. Didn't you get the memo when they lowered their budget to 39/40 review level? :p

duckroll

I think you're all missing the point. I told you guys before, if Wada bought a million copies himself, obviously S-E would be able to say that a million copies of FFXIII were sold. You can't say the tracking is inaccurate!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Meanwhile why hasn't sinobi given us yet the rest first day sales?

[NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Ore ga Boss! Saikyou Family Taisen (Takara Tomy)
[NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
[NDS] Deca Sports DS (Hudson)
[PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai)

should have done some respectable numbers (>10k I mean)

Chris1964 said:
Wada said they shipped 1,8M with bundles.
Mmm. So without knowing exact bundle allocation, we could be at 1.6-1.7m copies of the stand-alone game on day 1. From that, 1m sold. Left in shops: 600k-700k? Can FF13 do 600-700k outside its first day? FFX-XII 1st-day to LTD ratios given before would do that but not more. Of course, all this according to Square-Enix themselves.

Prediction League update on last week results:
- Dengeki has WE2010 PSP at 49k and the PS2 edition at 32k. Using these numbers would give a different winner than using dblog altered-Media Create numbers (PSP 45k, PS2 33k).
In the end, I think I'm waiting until Famitsu puts up the top30 in their website Thursday or Friday next week.

Prediction League update on this week results:
- No 1st day Famitsu figure yet for FF13. SE figure is vague and excludes bundles. Who knows what we can do here :(

Michan

Regulus Tera said:
Brilliant. :lol

The number of lives should reflect the number of weeks in the market, however. =P
You're a genius! Here we go:

1261129175-mario_171209.png

Chris1964 said:
Meanwhile why hasn't sinobi given us yet the rest first day sales?

[NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Ore ga Boss! Saikyou Family Taisen (Takara Tomy)
[NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
[NDS] Deca Sports DS (Hudson)
[PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai)

should have done some respectable numbers (>10k I mean)
Nah, that's fine. It would raise even more suspicion for me if sinobi reported those numbers but not FFXIII. :p

It could also be Famitsu that put a stop on this early numbers stuff. I mean it also looks like they shoot down the guy who used to leak the Top 30 early. (even though sinobi is still offering some numbers on wendnesday)
Can't be a coincidence. No more 1st day numbers for us!

jesusraz

LINK.AGE76 said:
Can we at least expect 3m units shipped for NSMBWii by years end?
Of course that's what I meant in the other thread, rather than sold... (Thanks to Road for the sarcy response, by the way - touché ;) )

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
slaughterking said:
It could also be Famitsu that put a stop on this early numbers stuff. I mean it also looks like they shoot down the guy who used to leak the Top 30 early. (even though sinobi is still offering some numbers on wendnesday)
Can't be a coincidenc. No more 1st day numbers for us!
Now that I think of it there were two weeks the last two months with altered positions for one game at the Famitsu site while the leak had the correct rankings. Enterbrain surely tried to find the leaker.
I don't know if they found him or not (I hope not) but I don't think he will post early top 30 again :(

Cygnus X-1

I would like to know the percentage of first-day sales of past final fantasy games in comparison to LTD sales, if possible.

cvxfreak

Cygnus X-1 said:
I would like to know the percentage of first-day sales of past final fantasy games in comparison to LTD sales, if possible.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, FFX and FFXII interestingly came up at a 63% ratio of first day to LTD.

Just to get this thought out there, I still think the 360 version should have been out in Japan too, and on the same day. The 360 having 25% of the current PS3 userbase is certainly nothing to scoff at, and having Microsoft's backing in addition to Sony's probably wouldn't have hurt. Not that the PS3 has done a poor job selling the game... 1/4 of the userbase owns it already.

Cygnus X-1

cvxfreak said:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, FFX and FFXII interestingly came up at a 63% ratio of first day to LTD.

Just to get this thought out there, I still think the 360 version should have been out in Japan too, and on the same day. The 360 having 25% of the current PS3 userbase is certainly nothing to scoff at, and having Microsoft's backing in addition to Sony's probably wouldn't have hurt. Not that the PS3 has done a poor job selling the game... 1/4 of the userbase owns it already.

Thanks. So, we can expect roughly 1600k LTD based on this percentage.

Grampasso

Cygnus X-1 said:
Very high for almost every numbered FF, 60%+
If that will be the case, our predictions saying it will end up with 1.6/1.7m LTD should be right

Cygnus X-1

If we suppose that the max. number of bundles was 200k, then we can say that first-day sales were 1.2 millions.
Thus, the expected LTD would be 1.9M.

SamBishop

Banned
I'm absolutely dying to see hardware next week. I lurk in these threads -- and even then only to see the end result most of the time -- but Mario hasn't exactly been lacking on the hardware front, right? I mean, shit, if I didn't have a Wii yet, I would have been all over the system just for that game. It's been pushing Wiis too, right?

And there's the general uptake in sales across the board what with it being end of the year 'n all... For some reason, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see any major gains in the weekly sales threads. Tens of thousands more people finally getting to enjoy the stuff we're all into.

I love video games, I really do...

cvxfreak said:

But how much 360 owners dosn't have a PS3 already?, of course it would have helped FFXIII get better numbers, but probably not enough to compensate the effort or getting in bad terms with Sony, which probably would have lost the opportunity to sell a few thousand more PS3.

Road

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Prediction League update on last week results:
- Dengeki has WE2010 PSP at 49k and the PS2 edition at 32k. Using these numbers would give a different winner than using dblog altered-Media Create numbers (PSP 45k, PS2 33k).
In the end, I think I'm waiting until Famitsu puts up the top30 in their website Thursday or Friday next week.

Prediction League update on this week results:
- No 1st day Famitsu figure yet for FF13. SE figure is vague and excludes bundles. Who knows what we can do here :(
I guess if we don't get any first-day from the leak until the top 30 is out, in my opinion, we could use 1 million. But if we are to get overly technical, the only option is to exclude that prediction.

Or we could wait for FFXV's release to see the comparisons.

Acosta

cvxfreak said:

Maybe, but the game wouldn't have been ready for december, missing an important window and I guess Sony was really interested in having it exclusive in Japan, while what Microsoft really cared for is having it for their main markets, so I guess both has backed Square Enix anyway.

SamBishop said:
I'm absolutely dying to see hardware next week. I lurk in these threads -- and even then only to see the end result most of the time -- but Mario hasn't exactly been lacking on the hardware front, right? I mean, shit, if I didn't have a Wii yet, I would have been all over the system just for that game. It's been pushing Wiis too, right?

And there's the general uptake in sales across the board what with it being end of the year 'n all... For some reason, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see any major gains in the weekly sales threads. Tens of thousands more people finally getting to enjoy the stuff we're all into.

I love video games, I really do...

Great post, I agree, the more, the merrier. Anything that means more sales and more systems out there helps things

SamBishop

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Understand this was probably the smartest move SCEI has made in a while. They'd diverted so much of their effort to getting the PSP back on track that the PS3 was essentially a dead product to them. They needed (and likely will still need) third parties to carry the brunt of the release schedule for them until things shift back in a meaningful way. All the launch effort seemed burned pretty much at the start.

Since then, it's been deathly quiet on their front and they have the absolute potential to create something that could really help push the system instead of relying on... well, what, SEGA, Konami, Namco and Squenix to sell the system? Good for the folks offering support, but at some point there comes a time to really dig in and do it right. I can't help but feel the utter lack of genre-competitive effort from Nintendo kept Sony complacent. This is the time to actually start pushing stuff.

...Unless of course the Wand is where all the effort is going. I want The Last Guardian as much as anyone, but I miss the SCEJ that would court Bemani ports and PaRappa and be okay with Intelligent Cube or FantaVision (shut up, the US version's multiplayer was sick). I just want that hungry JP Sony dev environment back. Right now, it's Western-only almost to a cliche. Booooooooooo...

noobie

Banned
i think as the release is around New year and with the news of DLC content FFXIII might get slighthly better legs...

SamBishop

Banned
Acosta said:
Great post, I agree, the more, the merrier. Anything that means more sales and more systems out there helps things

Virtual hi-five from me, bruddah. More systems = more people = more investment in really pushing everything this generation has tried to offer. It's an inevitability that whatever divergent approaches to this generation the platform holders have taken will fold together in some form in the next, so why not power that idea foundry with sales to keep it happening?

Fuck console wars, having three powerful platforms to provide games on isn't a detriment, it's a bonus; eventually we can all afford the entire group, and then we get to enjoy all the stuff every platform has created. Long live the trifecta, and I'm glad this is the generation that bucks the idea that three systems can't inhabit the same market -- even if one is sort of outside the traditional space.

It's a bubble, not a box. The edges can grow wider. And when they do, we all win. If people think the "non-games" movement can't provide advances right back into "core" games -- especially with the adoption of motion/vision controls -- they're going to be the fogeys longing for the days of bleeps and bloops.

Top Bottom