• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
PvZ, awesome! I'm going to be kicking myself if I miss the free download.

The Friendly Monster said:
The quality and quantity of gaming on Android finally seems to be picking up.

Just started making a new game myself :).
Yeah, I agree. When I got my phone last fall it seemed pretty sparse, but now there's some really solid stuff out there. Still not quite iOS-level, but there's more than enough to hold my interest now.

What are you using to make your game? I'm kind of interested myself, but I don't know where to start. Are Android apps pretty much all Java-based?

bangai-o said:
when it is Android gaming, is it on the phones only? or everything also works on the tablets?
I think most everything works on tablets also, but I've seen a handful of apps that say they don't work on tablets.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BetterWorldz said:
Plants vs Zombies launches tomorrow exclusively on Amazon, it'll be the free app of the day !

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/05/plants-vs-zombies-android-may-31/
Fuuuck. Was just talking about this game today with a friend wishing it would come to Android. But I still can't fix the Amazon issue:

platypotamus said:
I don't think you have to put your credit card info in unless you make a purchase that costs something? I never put mine in
Even when I try to download something for free it bugs me about putting in CC info before downloading :mad:

magicaltrevor said:
Guys, check out Robotek! Awesome game!

robotek-01.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjyw68e0T4
Just ran into this game by accident and damn, so nice.

Cronee

Plants VS. Zombies runs great on the HTC Thunderbolt with no lag at all. Running BAMF 1.7 (froyo) with Imoseyon's Special Edition kernel at stock cpu clock speed.

The game itself weighs in at about 76 megs and took about 5-7 minutes to download over WIFI. Luckily it can be moved to SD card and leaves just under 800 kilobytes on the phones internal storage.

Cronee

Renoir said:
PvZ cant be downloaded for og Droid?!

It can be downloaded but I think the problem lies in the fact that the OG Droid only has 256 megs of RAM and PvZ might require 384 megs or more. Don't quote me on that, but that would be my guess. Kind of like Dungeon Defenders, as it requires at least 512 megs (256 megs free when you start the game)

If that is the case, a memory swap enabled droid MIGHT be able to run PvZ.. however, you could kill your SD card if used excessively. Again, just my guess. Ill test it out later with my OG Droid.

Renoir

I just want to d/l it for now so I can take advantage of the promo.
That way ill have it when I do upgrade.

Renoir said:
I just want to d/l it for now so I can take advantage of the promo.
That way ill have it when I do upgrade.

Then go for it, I'm pretty sure Amazon doesn't filter devices.

PvZ works great on my HTC Desire, it's been a long wait but I'm really enjoying it.

Hobs

Neo Member
Damn, set up my amazon account with 1-click and all that only to find out its not available in Canada :(

Cronee

I can confirm PvZ does NOT work on the OG droid. It downloads, installs, and starts but when it tries to load the main menu it crashes back to the home screen.

Renoir

Cronee said:
I can confirm PvZ does NOT work on the OG droid. It downloads, installs, and starts but when it tries to load the main menu it crashes back to the home screen.
Yep... Major tease seeing the start screen.

Biff

Hobs said:
Damn, set up my amazon account with 1-click and all that only to find out its not available in Canada :(
Yup, and it's retarded.

Fuck Amazon for advertising it to Canadian users, knowing full well we can only go as far as register the account but not actually download the game.

Very unethical way to secure registrants for the future when it expands into Canada.

An-Det

I wasnt expecting it to require wifi-only download. I can do that once I get home no problem though, since making that purchase from amazon was the important part. Great deal for anyone that can run it (I'm using a Droid X).

Tymerend

Took a bit to download PvZ, huge game.

Lot of fun, and it's great to finally have PvZ on the go... and for free.

Now where's my Peggle, dammit!

wondermega

Tymerend said:
Took a bit to download PvZ, huge game.

Lot of fun, and it's great to finally have PvZ on the go... and for free.

Now where's my Peggle, dammit!

Seriously. Looking fwd to that one :)

pr0cs

ChefRamsay said:
Yup, and it's retarded.

Fuck Amazon for advertising it to Canadian users, knowing full well we can only go as far as register the account but not actually download the game.

Very unethical way to secure registrants for the future when it expands into Canada.
QFT.
As usual as eskimos to the north miss out on so many good things.
- amazon android store and all the freebees
- amazon cloud storage
- google books
- google market videos
- google music (when it ever really goes live)

bah. I'm mad just thinking about it.

Error_g

It is possible to download these apps in Canada... but it involves lying and using a paypal dev credit card (just used to verify purchases, can't actually make any) for the verification.

There was an error when truing to download Plants vs Zombies (wifi only). Please try again.

Fuck wifi. Shit never works for me. Same problem I've been having with gameloft apps.

Evo. I'm about to toss it in the river and go rotary.

So I upgraded my Droid X to Gingerbread over the weekend as the final release hit the Net. I'm loving the update, but I wanted to let it be known that every single one of my Gameloft games stopped working after the update, claiming they were not on the original device. I was able to uninstall the programs and re-download most of them from Gameloft's site and most work fine, but there were a couple of games that I got free from their holiday freebies (Dungeon Hunter, Hero of Sparta) that did not show up in my downloads section because I never actually purchased them. I'll have to buy them if I want them back or I could possibly e-mail their support which I've found to be decent. Also, NOVA doesn't work at all since the upgrade. Just goes to a white screen with the music in the background.

Just an FYI.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Plants v Zombies works well on my captivate with gingerbread rom. Crashed once when entering my name, but other than that its good...and free!

r1chard

Have been playing a bunch of Robotek and it's a kinda fun distraction, but I'm getting annoyed at the amount of blatant cheating the computer player does.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cronee said:

Yeah, man, fuck this piece of shit device. For my wife and I, the performance of the OG Droid has really degraded over time with the subsequent updates. The thing came out in December, 2009 and it's already obsolete. The last two things I've tried to get on it (HBO Go and Plants vs Zombies) don't support it and they won't even boot up.

Is this thing really that much weaker than the iPhone 3GS?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did anybody download Yoo Ninja when it was available as Amazon's free app? I kinda like what I've played so far. It's kinda like VVVVVV meets Canabalt.

Cronee

Zefah said:
Yeah, man, fuck this piece of shit device. For my wife and I, the performance of the OG Droid has really degraded over time with the subsequent updates. The thing came out in December, 2009 and it's already obsolete. The last two things I've tried to get on it (HBO Go and Plants vs Zombies) don't support it and they won't even boot up.

Is this thing really that much weaker than the iPhone 3GS?

Their specs are very, very close to each other. The iPhone has twice the L1 cache (32+32 to the droids 32) but I don't see that making a huge difference, both have 256megs of ram, CPU clocked at 600 (droid is actually 550 but its not enough to make a huge difference). The only thing I see making a huge difference is the droid's higher resolution at 854x480 versus the iPhone 3GS' lesser resolution at 480x320. Higher definition, higher demand perhaps. Could also be a bug in the Droid's OS. Could be both.

I, personally, LOVED the droid.. when it was new. I agree though that it has been some what lack-luster after all these... 2 years. Root and overclock helps a lot though. If your phone can handle it that is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cronee said:
Their specs are very, very close to each other. The iPhone has twice the L1 cache (32+32 to the droids 32) but I don't see that making a huge difference, both have 256megs of ram, CPU clocked at 600 (droid is actually 550 but its not enough to make a huge difference). The only thing I see making a huge difference is the droid's higher resolution at 854x480 versus the iPhone 3GS' lesser resolution at 480x320. Higher definition, higher demand perhaps. Could also be a bug in the Droid's OS. Could be both.

I, personally, LOVED the droid.. when it was new. I agree though that it has been some what lack-luster after all these... 2 years. Root and overclock helps a lot though. If your phone can handle it that is.

I had it going at 800mhz for a while, but it was still kind of sluggish. The device would also get extremely hot after a few minutes of use and the overclock probably cut the battery life in half. It just wasn't worth it to me in the end.

And the thing hasn't even been out for 2 years. It's barely been 1.5. I'm definitely looking forward for my upgrade to come up this September. I don't know if I'll just go iPhone, but I certainly won't be buying anything from Motorola.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Good on them for giving Pac Man away for free today. I'm not sure how it could have ever constituted a 5 dollar price point for such a barebones game though o_O

PvZ is awesome (and huge). Amazon <3

andycapps

I wish I could get NOVA back on my EVO, but since I rooted and put CM7 on here it's gone unless I want to pay for it or go through unscrupulous means of obtaining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom