• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

shandy706

Some Captures :)

bkrkaa.jpg

zhkhpb.jpg

onhmws.jpg

leiqov.jpg

agikpq.jpg

fzoqbg.jpg

uzmsxn.jpg

vjzfwz.jpg

wwyiaf.jpg

hzzvud.jpg

rokkerkory

shots look great man... one question is that does the weather change dynamically or changes in exact same spot every track?

Anion

shots look great man... one question is that does the weather change dynamically or changes in exact same spot every track?
From the demo race, I noticed that the weather changed at the same general area each time. That might just be for the demo though. I would assume though for the free roaming that the weather change randomly

eso76

Barns are returning huh. Interesting is it the same basic idea as in FH1?

More or less, but this time a lot of the cars are completely new to the series.

To anyone who has the chance to play the demo, try wasting time to see if it eventually gets dark :p

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Looks great, graphically. When they drive off-road I can't help but wish MS would commission DICE for Rallisport Challenge 3.

The impulse triggers seemed to add another dimension when going off-road, which was nice. The real challenge came when it started raining, however. The entire handling mechanic became MUCH more slippery.

The rain affects all surface types in the game. Tarmac, sand, mud, gravel. They tell me they are only focusing on rain, for now, as they are modeling the specifics of the environment they've set the game in very closely. They are looking into atmospherics, though there are already some elements of the weather change which will immediately affect visibility (ie, cockpit view).

Good to hear that (well, except for hints of there being no snow in the game, but it makes sense considering the setting). Still, on the cosmetic side, I hope they change the way the rain looks on cars, especially when driving. Right now it looks like cars are covered in watery warts.

RawNuts

Has anyone who played the demo actually stuck to the road in the beginning and went around? Or are you pretty much forced to cut through that vineyard?

Kelsey

Banned
Not sure why people are worried about driving through grass. If FH1 is any indicator, there's going to be tons of road races where driving offroad is never an option.

Looks great, graphically. When they drive off-road I can't help but wish MS would commission DICE for Rallisport Challenge 3.

Other than DICE being EA, that's never going to happen with two expensive racers going in an odd/even year release schedule since they share assets between them now. I'm still hopeful that they'll integrate rally into FH2 base game, but given the cost of the licensing of popular rally cars, I think it will be another DLC expansion. Still, I do wish for a standalone 60fps rally game, like RSC and RSC2.

dwells

I say this as a huge fan of Horizon 1, but I'm really disappointed with the videos I've watched. Visually it's a bit of a letdown, especially considering how incredible the first game looked for being a 360 title.

Then there's the fact that it looks way, way more arcadey than the first title, both with the cruising across open fields and the forced off-road and through-debris shortcuts in the races. In the first game, if you shut off all the assists and turned the difficulty up, it was actually a pretty decent compromise between sim and arcade, and a lot of the races were on closed circuits or at least stayed on road, with the exception of the rally segments. It felt somewhat believable at least, and they're tossing that out the window this time around.

I'll probably still wind up picking the game up, but those videos managed to drain a lot of the hype and excitement out of me pretty quickly.

Don't you think that Horizon 2 is going to have closed circuits too? I certainly do.

And we've got tuning and car damage this time around. So while some events will be cross country I don't know how you can make the leap that it will be "more arcadey".

The very first event in Horizon 1 encouraged you to drive through a load of picnic tables and cut off track.

Anyone know if they have the 1000 club in horizon 2 or has it been cut? some of the best dlc to have which makes you use cars you would normally ignore and I find it a ton of fun in horizon 1.

HeliosT10

Don't you think that Horizon 2 is going to have closed circuits too? I certainly do.

And we've got tuning and car damage this time around. So while some events will be cross country I don't know how you can make the leap that it will be "more arcadey".

The very first event in Horizon 1 encouraged you to drive through a load of picnic tables and cut off track.

Hey all,

What you've seen in the E3 demo is a very small sliver of gameplay intended mainly to highlight some of the new features in Horizon 2 such as the increased freedom and weather. Hence the opportunity in the E3 demo to cut through vineyards and take alternative routes.

The final full game will include a diverse variety of race types, some of which potentially reward you going off the beaten track, and others which do not.

dwells

Hey all,

What you've seen in the E3 demo is a very small sliver of gameplay intended mainly to highlight some of the new features in Horizon 2 such as the increased freedom and weather. Hence the opportunity in the E3 demo to cut through vineyards and take alternative routes.

The final full game will include a diverse variety of race types, some of which potentially reward you going off the beaten track, and others which do not.

Thanks for interacting with us on here and maintaining a discussion! So are those clips out of the ordinary, or would you say that as a whole, there's more focus on off-track and shortcuts than in the first game? I was someone who loved the first game in spite of the little shortcuts and off-road pieces, and my worry is that Horizon 2 will have more of that and detract from my enjoyment as a result.

Thanks for interacting with us on here and maintaining a discussion! So are those clips out of the ordinary, or would you say that as a whole, there's more focus on off-track and shortcuts than in the first game? I was someone who loved the first game in spite of the little shortcuts and off-road pieces, and my worry is that Horizon 2 will have more of that and detract from my enjoyment as a result.

Of course there's more focus on off-track and shortcuts than in the first game, the first game only let you get off the road in certain spots. But that's not saying much.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Of course there's more focus on off-track and shortcuts than in the first game, the first game only let you get off the road in certain spots. But that's not saying much.

For those who tried it, how big if a difference do you notice when changing road surfaces? In videos it seems minimal at best. Cars still go near 200mph offroad and jumping curbs or hitting fences and light posts seems like it matters little if at all.

Monad

That beautiful southern italian environment could be perfect in conjunction with some european 90's hot hatch flavour.

Caddle

How many times do do he have to repeat himself. The physics are basically off at this point . Just like the first horizon, once you turn off the assist things get harder. Stop trying to downplay the game if you played the first , then you should know what to expect. The usual people trying to downplay the graphics, fucking hilarious.

Kelsey

Banned
That beautiful southern italian environment could be perfect in conjunction with some european 90's hot hatch flavour.

I doubt we'll be driving anywhere near Southern Italy in this game. The map would have to be pretty huge to include parts of France and southern Italy.

Diablo vs. F40 racing from Florence to Montecarlo?

Fuck yes.

By the way Helios, do you know if in the final game droplets of water will be influenced by movement?

That's something sorely missing in the e3 demo. Thanks for the awesome job here.

EDIT: oh you mean southern Italy not southern Europe, sorry.

shandy706

For those who tried it, how big if a difference do you notice when changing road surfaces? In videos it seems minimal at best. Cars still go near 200mph offroad and jumping curbs or hitting fences and light posts seems like it matters little if at all.

Full Easy/Arcade/Assists are on in the Demo.

There's no way to turn on Damage or turn off arcade/easy driving assists in the demo from what I've seen.

What you're seeing in the demo is the least realistic the game can be (guess it is locked to that for the demo build). I'm sure once we can turn on damage and set the assists to a more "sim like" mode...it will play much differently.

Monad

Diablo vs. F40 racing from Florence to Montecarlo?

Fuck yes.

By the way Helios, do you know if in the final game droplets of water will be influenced by movement?

That's something sorely missing in the e3 demo. Thanks for the awesome job here.

EDIT: oh you mean southern Italy not southern Europe, sorry.

Southern Europe* my mistake.

BTW, Diablo and F40 aren't precisely vintage hot hatbacks, but definitely would be great too. :p

Clio Williams, Corsa GSi... hmmm.

Jamesways

Looks fantastic!

FYI- FH is on sale on xbox live for 10 bucks if anyone hasn't played it.

I replay it every summer.

dieter

Neo Member
Looks fantastic!

FYI- FH is on sale on xbox live for 10 bucks if anyone hasn't played it.

I replay it every summer.

That is a really good deal, highly recommended for anyone who hasn't played it.

I have to admit that the first time I tried FH, I really didn't like it at all (especially with the wheel I had) and put it down for a couple of months. After Forza5 came out, and I had to learn how to drive with the controller, I tried FH again and loved it, basically couldn't put it down until I finished it. So I'd probably recommend trying it with a controller for all you sim lovers out there (like me).

Monad

Fantastic price for those who haven't played it yet.

I waiting for another season's pass price drop. :(

Nintyb

Banned
Almost hyped enough to buy a Xbone for this. Instead, will enjoy on 360 and wait for something worth buying a PS4 over.

I say this as a huge fan of Horizon 1, but I'm really disappointed with the videos I've watched. Visually it's a bit of a letdown, especially considering how incredible the first game looked for being a 360 title.

Then there's the fact that it looks way, way more arcadey than the first title, both with the cruising across open fields and the forced off-road and through-debris shortcuts in the races. In the first game, if you shut off all the assists and turned the difficulty up, it was actually a pretty decent compromise between sim and arcade, and a lot of the races were on closed circuits or at least stayed on road, with the exception of the rally segments. It felt somewhat believable at least, and they're tossing that out the window this time around.

I'll probably still wind up picking the game up, but those videos managed to drain a lot of the hype and excitement out of me pretty quickly.

I want to see IQ in game. I'm not sure what people are raving over. Looks like a bunch of photomode shots or shots of cars we have seen a lot before. If they can nail in-game IQ then it should be pretty good. As long minimal pop-in.

Also, that rim looks bad.

Hey, Helios. Game looks awesome! Any chance of having this demo available for download so those at home can play as well? That would be amazing!

klodeckel

Banned
HELIOS! I demand at least one HIGH-QUALITY-VIDEO from that E3 demo! The game really deserves it. Those off-screen Youtube-Videos don't do this game justice.

PLEASE!

Top Bottom