• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

NoRéN

Diablohead said:
Due to leaving the house to go for a walk?

What blows my mind is that pokemon look worse each gen.
I actually see little kids out with it. So excited to be out and train their pokemon.

NoRéN said:
I actually see little kids out with it. So excited to be out and train their pokemon.
I wish the original game had one while I was at high school, I had to walk like a few miles a day there and back :lol

Guardian Bob said:
Hu? Explain.
If I remember right in Misty's gym you can fish on them and fight a water pokemon, dunno if there was any other spots.

*edit* youtube vid

I have a feeling that they were set to water for some reason, since at the end of that video the different looking statue did not work with the rod at all.

Diablohead said:
If I remember right in Misty's gym you can fish on them and fight a water pokemon, dunno if there was any other spots.

*edit* youtube vid

I have a feeling that they were set to water for some reason, since at the end of that video the different looking statue did not work with the rod at all.
You could fish in just about every statue in the game (barring the tall ones on Victory Road). IIRC, you could catch some rare water pokemon early that way.

CryptiK said:
Nintendo 64 upside down looks like a Koala

3HVZC.jpg

I stole this from reddit also if this has been posted before my bad

Kinda also looks like

boom_blox_8.jpg

EmCeeGramr said:
According to Ken Sugimori, Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed. It was also the first one programmed into the Generation 1 titles.

Remember the icon used for all generic Pokemon and the league statues?

2hr0kf6.jpg
There are two ways to look at this GIF. The first is to imagine an animal sitting down like a Sphinx. The second is to look at it like a teddy bear standing up wanting a hug.

Apath

viciouskillersquirrel said:
There are two ways to look at this GIF. The first is to imagine an animal sitting down like a Sphinx. The second is to look at it like a teddy bear standing up wanting a hug.
I've always seen the one wanting a hug; never the Sphinx format before :eek:.

Clipper

viciouskillersquirrel said:
2hr0kf6.jpg

I just saw a third and fourth way. What you see as hands and rear legs could also be elbows and it either has its hands on its back or behind its head, depending which direction you consider the arms to be pointing (both work).

In fact, you could even say the behind pose works for the being able to fish thing. It's sunbathing :D.

In any case, all sprites have issues like this (speaking of which, I wonder how long it will be until someone reposts Agahnim as "new").

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Gomu Gomu

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Clipper said:
2hr0kf6.jpg

I just saw a third and fourth way. What you see as hands and rear legs could also be elbows and it either has its hands on its back or behind its head, depending which direction you consider the arms to be pointing (both work).

In fact, you could even say the behind pose works for the being able to fish thing. It's sunbathing :D.

In any case, all sprites have issues like this (speaking of which, I wonder how long it will be until someone reposts Agahnim as "new").

What Agahnim thing?

Gomu Gomu said:
Yeah that's old news. I get irritated every time I see this video, it was absolutely unnecessary to put Kojima on the spot like this, film it, and post it online.
Ehn, I agree with you about putting it online, but I think they did the right thing with the first two.

First, Kojima certainly needed to know about it. Plagiarism is pretty serious, after all. As to the second, there was no way of knowing if Kojima would actually do something about the plagiarism or if he would just look the other way and pretend he never found out, so having proof that he knew was important.

I do wish that Tappy Iwase had done the right thing to begin with so that Konami could have just licensed or credited who they needed to, because the MGS theme song not being in MGS4 sucks.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Cheerilee

Gomu Gomu said:
Yeah that's old news. I get irritated every time I see this video, it was absolutely unnecessary to put Kojima on the spot like this, film it, and post it online.
Real reporters thrive on investigative journalism, and if you've seen more than a few of them, you know that they always end with an on-camera confrontation. Kojima handled it like a pro. Could you imagine if he bailed out the window and ran down the street with no shoes, as the cameraman chased him into a hiding place?

Actually, these guys never finished their job. They should've gone knocking on Iwase's door.

Remember, by the way, to tune in at 8:00 for highlights of today's vigil, including when the garbage man came, and when Mrs Iwase put the cat out... possibly because it was plagiarized, we don't know.

Forkball

Koffing had the skull and crossbones pattern above his head in Pokemon Red and Blue.

Spr_1b_109.png

The Japanese versions (Red and Green) had the symbol below his face.

Spr_1g_109.png

Outside of the American versions of Pokemon Red and Blue, Koffing always has the symbol below his face.

lordy88

G-Fex said:
I noticed this today while listening to don't fear the reaper on the radio. CRAZYNESS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWBWQs63F1o

start it at 2:31

And this from splatterhouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ehd-JomX_Y&feature=related

I'm calling Bravo Sierra here buddy. The only resemblance is that both cases go from a major arpeggio to a minor arpeggio, but they both utilize different patterns and progressions. Kinda close, but different keys and only one stable ground that is a common occurrence in songwriting doesn't sell me.

EmCeeGramr said:
According to Ken Sugimori, Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed. It was also the first one programmed into the Generation 1 titles.

Remember the icon used for all generic Pokemon and the league statues?

2hr0kf6.jpg

golfham

Forkball said:
Koffing had the skull and crossbones pattern above his head in Pokemon Red and Blue.

Spr_1b_109.png

The Japanese versions (Red and Green) had the symbol below his face.

Spr_1g_109.png

Outside of the American versions of Pokemon Red and Blue, Koffing always has the symbol below his face.

Lol, never did notice that one :lol

Forkball

Andrex said:
So what's the mind-blowing fact? That people saw the sprite different from the official art? Or that he looked like that guy in Mother 3?
The mind blowing fact is that people actually thought he was a chubby white guy with a flat cap and an emblem on his chest that looked like a face.

I just remembered this one after trying it in SMG2 and it not working. This is probably well known, but I discovered it by accident as a kid and it served me well for the 100-coin challenges.

In Super Mario 64, if you run around any of the stompable wooden stumps (such as the four in Bob-Omb's Battlefield) a few times, five coins come flying out.

I don't remember seeing this in a manual, and the internet was still something not many people had back in '96/97 so I'm not sure how well known this was.

Android18a said:
I just remembered this one after trying it in SMG2 and it not working. This is probably well known, but I discovered it by accident as a kid and it served me well for the 100-coin challenges.

In Super Mario 64, if you run around any of the stompable wooden stumps (such as the four in Bob-Omb's Battlefield) a few times, five coins come flying out.

I don't remember seeing this in a manual, and the internet was still something not many people had back in '96/97 so I'm not sure how well known this was.
Run around all 4 stumps and you get a life I think, been a while.

You can run around the yellow patches of flowers too for extra lives and coins.

Xav

oap3cp.jpg

Ridge Racer on PlayStation has custom soundtracks, when the game is running just swap the game disc for a disc containing music and it will play.

Gravijah

Xav said:
oap3cp.jpg

Ridge Racer on PlayStation has custom soundtracks, when the game is running just swap the game disc for a disc containing music and it will play.

My Ridge Racer had a big ass chunk missing from it, but it was still playable. fuck yeah ps1

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gravijah said:
My Ridge Racer had a big ass chunk missing from it, but it was still playable. fuck yeah ps1
The file size small though.

And other PS1 titles allowed the swap trick I believe.

Mario's Ladder was great. Nice art, too.

Here's something about TF2 that caught me earlier today. I don't know if Spies still do this in-game, they might (or it may have been patched out since), but Valve can be the master of the subtle touch at times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1qU4ld6aw

Spies disguised as other classes have a tell with their eyes. They generally keep them wider, and stare at the player instead of looking where the spy's looking.

Top Bottom