• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Aaron

voltron said:
I havent encountered any potential followers yet. Well, apart from Jericho. Am I missing something? And you can get a dog?

Dogmeat - scrapyard south of minefield
Clover - Paradise Falls, must be evil
Charon - 9th circle bar, underworld
Fawks - found during main quest
Star Paladin - the Citadel, unlocked during main quest
some robot - sold by a wandering merchant

Nikorasu

Sightseeing in DC

30ky9hc.jpg

Lincoln's hunting rifle. This thing is awesome! Too bad it uses the less plentiful 44 rounds.

5f2e1d.jpg

Full of radscorpions. Ugh.

2e5kruv.jpg

I am Ironman.

6z3ddw.jpg

2q231vb.jpg

16lfrd4.jpg

T51-B bustin' Enclave heads for great justice!

1sjrkg.jpg

2l930ck.jpg

2uyq7ba.jpg

2v28qw3.jpg

29uuhy0.jpg

And now for something completely different

15f3rj5.jpg

Aaron said:
They're found in random crates. I'm surprised you're using them up. Are you doing the mini-game correctly? I think I've only had six break the whole game, and those were on the tougher locks.

You can always save and reload if they snap too. That's what I used to do with the lock picks in Oblivion.

edit: how do you take screenshots? I press 'print screen' and nothing happens.

EGM92

Blizzard said:
I already edited in my specs. I've actually seen very few of those rays. I think I had to get up the stairs or something for them to show up in that building, and I don't think you can look outside at all THROUGH the cracks, it's more of a simulated effect.

What drivers are you running?? Have you changed anything within the settings?

Also 70C is REALLY hot for the card, 70+ is when artifcats start showing up and 90C is the heat threshold for the card anything more than that and it either fries or failsafe kicks in and shutsdown your system. Get an Arctic Cooling Accelero you'll see a huge performance boost and it'll keep it extremely cool.

Dedalus

They've done wonders with the engine, looks amazing maxed out:

1920x1200 4xFAA
Ultra High settings

Running on:
E6850 @ 3GHz
GTX 280 1GB
4gb RAM
24" monitor
Vista 64

(Resized due to tinypic)

11gkjrs.jpg

Now, I just need to buy an extra-long HDMI cable to get this on my TV, and figure out how to use an xbox360 controller with my PC :lol

TTG

I just completed the "Scientific Persuit" mission(vault 112).

Do I have to follow my dad all the way back to rivet city. Can I fast travel? :lol

I just played with the musical activation keys until the fail safe came up. Is there a way of getting out that involves getting his keys and going to his office, or is that a part of a later mission?

This game just keeps getting better and better.

Dedalus said:
They've done wonders with the engine, looks amazing maxed out:

1920x1200 4xFAA
Ultra High settings

Running on:
E6850 @ 3GHz
GTX 280 1GB
4gb RAM
24" monitor
Vista 64

(Resized due to tinypic)

Now, I just need to buy an extra-long HDMI cable to get this on my TV, and figure out how to use an xbox360 controller with my PC :lol

monoprice for cable, xpadder for pad :)

Broseybrose

i dont want this to turn into a screenshot thread, but i just took these and theyre just too stunning to resist sharing. i cannot believe how this world just goes on and on if you explore it. bethsoft really tapped the exploration vein that made so many classics great. and it looks so good:

8800GTX 1920x1200 (scaled to 1440) 4xAA 15xAF Ultra Settings
fallout3200811100350153kp5.jpg

fallout3200811100352470pt2.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EGM92 said:
What drivers are you running?? Have you changed anything within the settings?

Also 70C is REALLY hot for the card, 70+ is when artifcats start showing up and 90C is the heat threshold for the card anything more than that and it either fries or failsafe kicks in and shutsdown your system. Get an Arctic Cooling Accelero you'll see a huge performance boost and it'll keep it extremely cool.

70C is fine, no need for an S1 (amazing as it is) he could turn up the fan speed if he wants.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Okay, somebody answer this. Just got to Rivet City.

Alright so I've run around Rivet City and did some sidequests (Replicated Man and Those!) and Dr. Li told me to go back to where I just came from (Jefferson Memorial). :p

I guess there are some tapes that I missed at the Jefferson Memorial Rotunda? And if I find those tapes, is it basically going to tell me to go to Vault 112, the place that I already found? :p

Should I just go straight to Vault 112 now?

And yes, the game looks gorgeous. So gorgeous @ 1920x1200, ultra-high, 8xAA, 16AF.

Fraps tells me I am running at 60fps locked. Funny thing is I don't have vsync turned on but it looks like the game limits it to 60fps anyway. Unfortunately, there's something weird going on because sometimes my framerates will drop to the mid 30's both indoors or outdoors, and I have to alt-tab to desktop, then alt-tab back to get 60fps again. No big deal but kind of strange.

Damnit! I can't access the supply shop in Megaton, its always bloody closed and locked... Any idea how I can get in? Need some bloody supplies...

Also, why is a bed so bloody expensive in the town...this game has got some hairbrained design decisions...

chespace said:
Okay, somebody answer this. Just got to Rivet City.

Alright so I've run around Rivet City and did some sidequests (Replicated Man and Those!) and Dr. Li told me to go back to where I just came from (Jefferson Memorial). :p

I guess there are some tapes that I missed at the Jefferson Memorial Rotunda? And if I find those tapes, is it basically going to tell me to go to Vault 112, the place that I already found? :p

Should I just go straight to Vault 112 now?

Sure you can go ahead and do that. All the holotapes do is only tell you why your father is doing the things he is doing and why he went to vault 112

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nelsonroyale said:
Damnit! I can't access the supply shop in Megaton, its always bloody closed and locked... Any idea how I can get in? Need some bloody supplies...

Also, why is a bed so bloody expensive in the town...this game has got some hairbrained design decisions...

Hit "t" and wait until morning.

Broseybrose

nelsonroyale said:

try going during business hours. there is a rest button to pass the hours, you know..

Danielsan

nelsonroyale said:

Maybe you should come back when it's day time....
Shop opens after 8am.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Lostconfused said:
Sure you can go ahead and do that. All the holotapes do is only tell you why your father is doing the things he is doing and why he went to vault 112

Okay good. Even though I already found vault 112, I reloaded and never went inside. At least now I can fast travel there. :lol

sennin

nelsonroyale said:
This has been asked a few times, and admittedly it was also one of my personal challenges when I started. I don't mind answering it again though. Beds can be found in dungeons or at Raider/Wastelander/SuperMutant camps in the world map, as long as a bed is blue in color when it lets you sleep, you're good.

When you're just starting out, you've a few options. You can -

i.) complete The Power of the Atom quest for a safe house of your own. It is an alignment based quest, don't rush through this, take your time since the consequences ARE permanent.
ii.) While you're thinking about that, head over to Springvale School. The Raiders here are easy for a low level, and that 10mm Pistol is all you need to take them out.
iii.) The Raiders residing in Super Duper Mart is also another beginner dungeon that offers you a free bed once you've cleared out the Raiders in it.

The difference between your own safe house's bed and random beds is that a safe house bed gives you a temporary boost of+10% to exp under the "well rested" condition. Never pay for a place to stay in the Wastelands. No one is policing buddy, free for all!

xbhaskarx

I wish I had read more before diving straight into the game. I drank one Nuka Cola Quantum and sold four more. I may have even sold a skill book or two. And I didn't pick up some items that are weapon parts because I didn't know they mattered. I also didn't pick up scrap metal or pre-war books because I didn't know I would be able to sell them for more caps later. Is there any other item that falls in this category?

Also, does time matter at all in this game? Should I fast travel to Rivet City for the discount any time I want to buy or sell?

Tieno

xbhaskarx said:
I wish I had read more before diving straight into the game. I drank one Nuka Cola Quantum and sold four more. I may have even sold a skill book or two. And I didn't pick up some items that are weapon parts because I didn't know they mattered. I also didn't pick up scrap metal or pre-war books because I didn't know I would be able to sell them for more caps later. Is there any other item that falls in this category?

Also, does time matter at all in this game? Should I fast travel to Rivet City for the discount any time I want to buy or sell?
Sugar bombs or something.

I've gotten into the habit of saving every item I think is rare or might be useful for a weapon plan I don't have or for someone interested in the future. When I'm full and if possible I travel back at the next discovered point of interest and unload everything in my locker. Otherwise I drop the least important stuff.
I have a lot of shit right now. Have like 40 scrap metal saved.

So I just finished the game. The main quest at least. I skipped out on some of the sidequests.

Pretty decent followup I suppose. Definitely could've been a lot worse. Several things turned me off though. 1) The writing could have been better at parts. 2) I hate the way you have to interact with characters - that is, how the camera sorta zooms in on them. They could've at least made it bearable and actually created some decent facial animations. Everyone is so doll-like it's frightening and very disappointing. 3) God, the ending and the main plotline in general was pretty underwhelming.

Nikorasu

xbhaskarx said:

Brotherhood of Steel holotags are something else to hold on to. But don't worry about it too much. There are way more than enough quantums in the world to finish the quest, and you can make up the few lost skill books with the comprehension perk. And junk for weapons parts are absolutely everywhere.

Have to agree that I hate how Bethesda brought over their NPC interaction camera from Oblivion ...I mean, it already feels enough like Oblivion with guns (I love Fallout3, but sorry it does) ...and yes the animation system is borderline shit in my eyes

Everything else is fucking top notch! ...well except the 3rd person camera =P

BeeDog

Is a Nuka-Cola truck supposed to be somewhere near the Super-Duper Mart, or are all the Quantums in this area inside the mart itself?

Also, where is
Gunny
so I can learn how to wear Power Armor? They are referring to some sort of
Lab where they all are
, but I can't find it.

Nikorasu

Mad Hatter said:
2) I hate the way you have to interact with characters - that is, how the camera sorta zooms in on them. They could've at least made it bearable and actually created some decent facial animations. Everyone is so doll-like it's frightening and very disappointing.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier. It wouldn't be so jarring if they didn't zoom in. They're just drawing attention to the worst part of their presentation.

Tieno

BeeDog said:
Is a Nuka-Cola truck supposed to be somewhere near the Super-Duper Mart, or are all the Quantums in this area inside the mart itself?

Also, where is
Gunny
Lab where they all are
, but I can't find it.
Citadel, it's across the river near Rivet City and the Jefferson Memorial. But you can't go in there till the main quest takes you there

Broseybrose

xbhaskarx said:

far as i know, you have all the time in the world.

[HP]

BrodiemanTTR said:
Wow, I definitely don't see sunlight passing through cracks like that on my friend's PC. Looks great. What CPU, how much RAM, etc?

Dude, dont forget you only see the sunlight indoors if It's day.

And now, some MUSIC!

I pretty much went through the whole game with GNR on ;D. It was pretty cool hearing Three Dog talk about your achievements.

Aaron

BeeDog said:

Also, where is
Gunny
Lab where they all are
, but I can't find it.
Usually walking around the courtyard of the Citadel.

Tieno

I'm an Animal Friend level 2. First tried out the Animal Friend level 1 and those Yogi bears didn't attack me, hurray! They didn't mind me and just attacked their other enemies (two slashes killed a scorpion). Very cool to see. Those dogs do the same. Upgraded to level 2 where they'll actively attack your enemies, should be pretty neat. Too bad it's only but a few species who do this. I've only seen it at a certain camp where some brahmin started running after children when I inadvertently bumped into the little brats and they got hostile and scared and started to run away.

Nikorasu said:
And now for an important GNR public service announcement:

Don't feed the Yao Guai!

That is all.

You know, I think the Yao Guai are the most powerful creatures in the whole game. A whole pack of those things could probably take out the Enclave. I get killed by Yao Guai sooo often. They just pop out of nowhere and maul me to death.

Tieno

Mad Hatter said:
You know, I think the Yao Guai are the most powerful creatures in the whole game. A whole pack of those things could probably take out the Enclave. I get killed by Yao Guai sooo often. They just pop out of nowhere and maul me to death.
Hah, have you seen Deathclaws yet?

Nikorasu

Mad Hatter said:

Deathclaw sez hi

Deathclaw_2.JPG

Oh, yeah, forgot about those guys. Well, I ran into ONE of them the entire game. That was around Little Lamplight I believe. From my experience, Yao Guai outnumber Deathclaws by quite a bit.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Aaron said:
Usually walking around the courtyard of the Citadel.

If ever an NPC needed to be
'arrowed' on the mini map
, it's
Gunny
I looked all over the
Citadel
for that bastard. It's not like you can just skip seeing him, either, seeing as he
trains you to use Power Armour
which is vital for
the end game
when you are
fighting enemies
Enclave soldiers

God I loved writing this post, I should run a competition to see who can make the above into the most obscene paragraph by filling in the blanks. :lol

Tieno

Mad Hatter said:
Oh, yeah, forgot about those guys. Well, I ran into ONE of them the entire game. That was around Little Lamplight I believe. From my experience, Yao Guai outnumber Deathclaws by quite a bit.
Where are you with your main quest?

Aaron

Iain Howe said:
If ever an NPC needed to be
'arrowed' on the mini map
, it's
Gunny
I looked all over the
Citadel
for that bastard. It's not like you can just skip seeing him, either, seeing as he
trains you to use Power Armour
which is vital for
the end game
when you are
fighting enemies
Enclave soldiers
NPCs are easy to find in open areas. Just use VATS and flick around until you find the one you're looking for. When you exit, you'll be pointed right at him. I don't think the armor is vital at all, unless you're playing on very hard. Enclave are pushovers. I had more trouble with super mutants.

Nikorasu

Mad Hatter said:

They appear more frequently when you're high level. There are a few places they show up in numbers. They're crawling all over and under Old Olney in perticular, from what I can remember. Also the Enclave like to stick 'em in cages and airdrop them around the wasteland.

Tieno

Nikorasu said:
They appear more frequently when you're high level. There are a few places they show up in numbers. They're crawling all over and under Old Olney in perticular, from what I can remember. Also the Enclave like to stick 'em in cages and airdrop them around the wasteland.
Too bad they don't befriend you when you set them free yourself. I killed a lone enclave officer before she could set her deathclaw free. Got the cage key and set it free but it started attacking me. Would have been a cool pet, they're so powerful.

Tieno said:
Where are you with your main quest?

I just finished it tonight.
But that reminds me.
I said I would take that guy who was leaving Little Lamplight to Big Town. He said he'd wait outside for me, but I totally forgot about him and finished the game :lol :lol He probably died out there :lol :lol

Tieno

I'm still at the citadel so I'm not going to read that spoiler. But so far I've already encountered three deathclaws. Two caged and one set free by squad of enclaves. Set the other free and killed him, didn't bother with the other enclaves and ran around them so as not to provoke them.

Dang, I guess I sorta rushed through the game then. I didn't even reach level 20. I think I got to level 16 or 17. I didn't spend a lot time exploring the wasteland - particularly the northeast and the southwest. Maybe through the next playthrough I'll explore more - but this time as a kung fu demolitions expert :D

Aaron

I wish you could turn anyone/thing into an ally with the mezzer. It would be just like Syndicate, though having a huge crowd following me would probably crash F3.

So, funny story. I was in Rivet City one time and I lock pick
Dr. Li's
door to snoop around a bit. And who do I find there sleeping in her bed?
VERA WEATHERLY
!? Is
Vera Dr Li's
girlfriend? ;P :lol :lol :lol
I woke her up and talked to her, but there was nothing new and she just walked out like nothing had happened.

Top Bottom