• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paging *ALL* PS3 owners (with 2.40) - Did 2.40 brick your PS3?

Argyle

Well, better late than never...

60GB upgraded to 320GB
Swapped recently because my launch-era machine crapped out when playing GTA4.
No problems.

40GB upgraded to 250GB
Purchased a few weeks ago, latest model (H)
No problems.

Both machines were upgraded using a USB thumbdrive after downloading the update to my PC.

My dad updated his last night too - 60GB launch-era machine, downloaded directly from system update. No problems there either.

Grayman

---1. Did this update brick your PS3?
---2. Define "brick" in your case
---3. If it did brick your system, how many times did you reboot your PS3 before it bricked?

1. No
60gb model, one year old.

Justin Dailey said:
A. Posts contributing new information about the bricking phenomenon (i.e. news stories, etc...) -- no anecdotal evidence about others, theories about the problem, or advice to others! (let's keep that in the offical 2.40 thread) and,

B. Posts providing short, concise answers to the three following questions:

---3. If it did brick your system, how many times did you reboot your PS3 before it bricked?[/B]

B
1. No it didn't
2. Bricking your system would be like making your PS3 unusable until someone does some advanced method or secret troubleshoot to get it working. Overall tho, I didn't get "bricked" due to the update
3. I've only booted my system up about 3 times so far today, I'll reboot maybe about 10 times and report what my status is. So far tho, it seems like a clean update. I've switched from MGS4 to Pixeljunk monsters earlier today and it took more then the average patience I had, but waited. Did work, but did annoy me and questioned if doing the whole process manually was faster.

Also my unit is a USA PS3 Motorstorm bundled and manufactured in May 07'

EDIT: I just noticed this, but I have theme setting inconsistencies. Today, I changed my theme to the default theme from a LBP theme I downloaded, but the background color was green. The 3rd reboot I made resulted in a Teal sort of color background. The 4th Reboot is now a black colored background and so far has stayed black for the 6th and 7th reboot.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Err, guys? I turned my PS3 on to see if this was telling me to go back to the previous firmware and its not? I thought it was supposed to? Can anyone else confirm?

Dot50Cal said:
Err, guys? I turned my PS3 on to see if this was telling me to go back to the previous firmware and its not? I thought it was supposed to? Can anyone else confirm?
what? who said this?

Tntnnbltn

Dot50Cal said:
I won't tell you to go backwards. If you've already got the firmware, your fine. It's just people on 2.36 can't update at the moment.

Stink

1. no

domokunrox said:
EDIT: I just noticed this, but I have theme setting inconsistencies. Today, I changed my theme to the default theme from a LBP theme I downloaded, but the background color was green. The 3rd reboot I made resulted in a Teal sort of color background. The 4th Reboot is now a black colored background and so far has stayed black for the 6th and 7th reboot.

This is normal. The default theme darkens to black the later on you go into the evening.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
I won't tell you to go backwards. If you've already got the firmware, your fine. It's just people on 2.36 can't update at the moment.
Ah, alright. I was reading posts saying they reverted back, I was wondering what on earth was happening :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
---3. If it did brick your system, how many times did you reboot your PS3 before it bricked?

1. No

60GB launch PAL-model

Top Bottom