• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2011

i just got slitherlink from the japan e-shop and it's hard as hell. the easiest puzzles are over 10x10! i've completely forgotten how to play this game, it's kind of a trial by fire.

looks like a good version, though.

cjelly said:
Yet its two hours later and the ships are still down. I knew they were adding something. Maintence never lasts over a hour or two so for it to be this long is something. The last time the shop was down this long we got the Wii Update 3.0

And since all 3 shops are down unfied money/account is looking all the more possible. Just remember when
If
it happens that I called it.

M3d10n

rpmurphy said:
I see. Sorry for my ignorance on the video industry, but what does Nintendo and the content providers gain with such a free video delivery service? Just marketing exposure?
Exactly. It's modeled after TV, not Youtube/Netflix: content has limited availability and everything is ad-centered. Movie trailers and music videos are already ads by themselves, while other kinds of videos have ads to eShop games.

The idea is not bad, but only four videos makes it hard to offer a good variety of content. Nintendo should up the advertising push and add two or four more slots for game ads.

M-PG71C

The music is slightly different, WHAT A UPDATE!

Jokes aside, about damn time. I wanted to download GQ. Never played it and for less than $5, why the hell not.

So my linked money idea wasnt right? :(

Nextflix for Wii got a update (It may be mega old, hope it fixex that damn corrupting glitch.)

The maintence that went on for THAT long had to be something and gosh darnit Im gonna find it.

Codeblue

DSi shop is the exact same too. Still a pain to navigate. Spent my last 800 points so I'll never have to navigate it again.

fernoca

Sometimes maintenance, like firmware updates are not meant to actually add anything, but just move around some things, fine tune others, more security here and there, etc. :p

Ignition Factor is intriguing, kind of like a top down 16 bit Burning Rangers.

Per the news section on the eShop, you can verify your Ambassador status bu going to the following site and entering your system's serial number (I'm in! Whoo!):

http://support.nintendo.com/nintendo3DSstatus

edit: Sorry, just noticed it was posted in another thread. Oh well, can't hurt spread the word.

Javier said:
Check the "Coming Soon" section on the eShop, guys. On the next weeks we're getting Pac-Man, Golf, and Catrap on the VC.

There's a Coming Soon section on the shop? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Fewr

The calculator program looks interesting, I might buy it even though I've already got the AXing talking calculator.

Javier

Saw the video for Magical Whip and I'm incredibly tempted to get it. It looks like an arcade platform style game, like Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros. For only two bucks, it seems like a sweet deal.

Agent Unknown said:
There's a Coming Soon section on the shop? I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Third panel from the right.

GeekyDad

fernoca said:
Sometimes maintenance, like firmware updates are not meant to actually add anything, but just move around some things, fine tune others, more security here and there, etc. :p

That would be my suspicion. Would seem to make little sense, otherwise, that they'd choose Thursday of all days to shut the shop down.

I Push Fat Kids said:
What are the RPG elements in GQ?

Leveling? What exactly?

You level up your hovering ability, along with your health and jumping height. It's not on an EXP system or anything, though. You get upgrades to said abilities at certain points in the game. (I'd personally say it's a bit more reminiscent of Metroid in those regards) There's also an Overworld Map, towns, and Random Battles.

Also, has the Coming Soon section always listed upcoming VC games? It seems that the next three planned games (Pac-Man, Golf and Catrap, apparently) are listed there.

Javier

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Also, has the Coming Soon section always listed upcoming VC games? It seems that the next three planned games (Pac-Man, Golf and Catrap, apparently) are listed there.
There are now two separate Coming Soon sections. One for eShop games (debuted just yesterday) and one for retail games (always been there), although the retail section also show recently released titles.

Javier said:
There are now two separate Coming Soon sections. One for eShop games (debuted just yesterday) and one for retail games (always been there), although the retail section also show recently released titles.
I see, thanks.

Nice to know what games are coming out for the shop ahead of time for once. Hopefully they keep that section up.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
eShop reviews still seem weirdly high... although the scores seem somewhat more meaningful if you lop off 1 star from them and treat it as a 4 star scale, with a 0 being possible. If you do this, most games have 3 or 4 stars, with a few 2 star reviews and a single 1 star.

Nintendo needs to get more folks reviewing games - given how many games have just 1 or 2 reviews, you can really influence a game's rating.

It's too bad they didn't link game ratings with Club Nintendo post-play surveys.

DavidDayton said:
Nintendo needs to get more folks reviewing games - given how many games have just 1 or 2 reviews, you can really influence a game's rating.
This seems weird as I recalled the Nintendo channel not showing statistics (the ones like hardcore/casual etc) until at least a certain amount of people had played the game to avoid such bias from happening.

GeekyDad

You level up your hovering ability, along with your health and jumping height. It's not on an EXP system or anything, though. You get upgrades to said abilities at certain points in the game. (I'd personally say it's a bit more reminiscent of Metroid in those regards) There's also an Overworld Map, towns, and Random Battles.

Which sounds more Metroidvania-ish.

Roto13

So has anyone played Magical Whip yet? I saw the video and wasn't particularly impressed with it, but I do like Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros. and I'll pick this one up if it's good.
GeekyDad said:
Which sounds more Metroidvania-ish.
It's not.

jluedtke

Magical Whip is a Bubble Bobble style game. If you've ever played Parasol Stars on the Turbografx-16, that's pretty much what you're getting here. Parasol Stars is one of my all-time favorites, so I had to download Magical Whip to check it out. It's a very nice game, especially for $2.

LayLa

In case people haven't noticed yet there is eShop maintenance scheduled for
1900 GMT 30th Aug - 0100 GMT 31th Aug
hopefully this is when the ambassador program will begin (yeh ...)

Roto13

jluedtke said:
Magical Whip is a Bubble Bobble style game. If you've ever played Parasol Stars on the Turbografx-16, that's pretty much what you're getting here. Parasol Stars is one of my all-time favorites, so I had to download Magical Whip to check it out. It's a very nice game, especially for $2.
Guess I'll buy it. If I hate it, you owe me $2, just fyi.

More shop maintence? Wow. Hopefully the Ambassador games launch after its over, but they probably wont launch till the regaler 9AM Pacific Time update...

Edit: wait thats late August 29th in America. Deffinitly does'nt seem lke they would launch the abasador games this early.

And yes I know I keep misspelling Ambasimdor. I dont feel like spelling it right.

Edit2: Oh I put 1AM on the 30th on the timezone converter...so maybe this IS when the ambasadorium games will launch! HORRAY!!!

I love how D4 is keeping it up with the Neo Geo releases. Keep it coming. You're at 97. One more and you'll be at 98! Then only five more after that! But what I'm really hoping for is for them to count to Garou.

Javier

I'm loving Magical Whip. If you liked stuff like Snow Bros and Bubble Bobble then you will like this as well. Completely old school, as you have to beat the whole game in one run, no save files (Only ranks get saved).

They even kept the tradition of adding an invincible enemy that shows up if you take too long in a stage.

Kevtones

Thank you! This sounds good. Picking it up :)

Split between Spotto and Magical Whip for my other $2 purchase...

jgkspsx

Javier said:
I'm loving Magical Whip. If you liked stuff like Snow Bros and Bubble Bobble then you will like this as well. Completely old school, as you have to beat the whole game in one run, no save files (Only ranks get saved).

They even kept the tradition of adding an invincible enemy that shows up if you take too long in a stage.
Awesome. For $2 I'm doubly sold.

Picked up both Gargoyle Quest and The Magical Whip, really enjoying both so far. The Magical Whip is probably the best $2 purchase I've made and I've been following DSiWare since its launch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I Push Fat Kids said:
Split between Spotto and Magical Whip for my other $2 purchase...

I can't speak to Magical Whip, but Spotto! is great fun for $2. It's got 50 levels, some kinda challenging, and when you finish the game you unlock a very challenging pro mode for a replay. I had a great time playing it (mainly on a few flights over a 12 month period). So, again, Magical Whip might be great, but I can vouch for Spotto! personally.

Kevtones

Stumpokapow said:
I can't speak to Magical Whip, but Spotto! is great fun for $2. It's got 50 levels, some kinda challenging, and when you finish the game you unlock a very challenging pro mode for a replay. I had a great time playing it (mainly on a few flights over a 12 month period). So, again, Magical Whip might be great, but I can vouch for Spotto! personally.

The fact that you don't have to beat it in one sitting definitely helps. G.G. Series Ninja was limited for this reason.

I'm sure I'll pick up both but for now Spotto! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions :)

Other good $2 purchases I just made:

GO Captain Sub
GO Portable Shrine Wars

A lot of the $2 priced-games would be no-brainers if they had online leaderboards...

GeekyDad

I Push Fat Kids said:
A lot of the $2 priced-games would be no-brainers if they had online leaderboards...

Yeah, definitely one of the things I've enjoyed about some of the comparable iOS games I've played. Something like Aura-Aura Climber, especially, would have benefited from online leaderboards. It's cool, though, that it keeps track of your records. But it's telling how much Nintendo are lagging behind with their online approach when you play these iOS games made by one or two guys that offer those types of basic features.

Definitely want to check out Shrine Wars and the Magical Whip. Spotto was $2 well spent, though. I certainly had fun with it. It's undeniably adorable.

rpmurphy

M3d10n said:
Exactly. It's modeled after TV, not Youtube/Netflix: content has limited availability and everything is ad-centered. Movie trailers and music videos are already ads by themselves, while other kinds of videos have ads to eShop games.

The idea is not bad, but only four videos makes it hard to offer a good variety of content. Nintendo should up the advertising push and add two or four more slots for game ads.
Thanks, I see. Interestingly, Nintendo did something very similar for Wii with Wii no Ma, but that was just general product advertisement and not for the Wii Shop. I wonder if that had any success and whether they could bring such an application over to the 3DS (as an extension of Nintendo Videos or a separate application) or Wii U in the rest of the regions in the future.

Top Bottom