• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony quizzed on Monster Hunter's betrayalton - 'You'll have to ask Capcom'

Sky Chief said:
If this is really the case in the long run and considering, as others have mentioned, that the Vita seems to have the perfect control setup for this style of game (no need to buy a bulky add on) then I can see one of two things happening; either Capcom brings the game to Vita and makes a killing or one of the Monster Hunter knock offs made specifically for Vita takes over as top dog in Japan.

While I don't think what's bolded is a likely possibility, there's definitely space for another publisher to jump in isn't there? God Eater 2 should be on Vita really.

StuBurns

Banned
get2sammyb said:
While I don't think what's bolded is a likely possibility, there's definitely space for another publisher to jump in isn't there? God Eater 2 should be on Vita really.
Hell no, at least not exclusively. If Capcom are leaving PSP, even more reason for the biggest monhun clone to stick with it while it's still viable.

God Eater 2 could easily outsell Tri G as it stands.

Loonz

Kyoufu said:
Square-Enix announced and showed 2 new FF games for PS3... One of them went multi platform, the other is also inevitable heh.

You're missing the point here. The point is that no matter what happens in the future, Nintendo has secured for the 3DS 2 main games of the single most important third party IP currently in Japan. If in the future other MH appear on the competing console, the 3DS will have its bases covered still.

And with the perspective of having those games many MH gamers will migrate to the 3DS in Japan. Nintendo will have put a foothold on a market they didn't have before. Whereas the competing console has nothing until Capcom decides to announce MH games for it, which is not granted right now, as we don't know the details of the deal between Nintendo and Capcom.

Facts Vs Wishful thinking.

Takuya

Banned
Loonz said:
Fact is, nothing guarantees that the current MH fanbase will migrate to 3DS if -any- MH title goes to the Vita.

There are no facts, it;s all just speculation.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
I was wondering if Sony were going to comment on this or not, but I guess they would find it hard to avoid journalists asking questions. Posted?

They sound like they're in the dark about it, but maybe that's just what they want to say in public. Must be quite the slap in the face.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/09/15/idINIndia-59362720110915

Dooooooooomed etc.

If Yoshida thinking of having 360/PS3 like Situation here with 3DS and Vita ( I mean both systems getting almost all big third party titles) then he is just dreaming, handheld is a completely different market and with MH3G to me it's clear that Capcom want 3DS to be the only home for Monster Hunter.

Also since PS3 days SCE is just uncompetitive,they can't get the PS devices most important on their platforms the game that their fans want,maybe it's money problem or something but sure thing is they look like they can't compete in the market they even can't secure the developer for their own IP ( see Demon Souls),it's freaky but Sony behavior now remind me of SEGA last years in the hardware business.

GCX

Takuya said:
Fact is, nothing guarantees that the current MH fanbase will migrate to 3DS if -any- MH title goes to the Vita.
But there is very strong possibility it will happen since 3G will be released just in a few months whereas the potential Vita MH is still possibly years away.

Totobeni said:
to me it's clear that Capcom want 3DS to be the only home for Monster Hunter.

Anything to keep them from having to make a MH in anything like real HD, right? 3DS assets are still low-res enough to be cranked out cheaply.

Kyoufu

Loonz said:
You're missing the point here. The point is that no matter what happens in the future, Nintendo has secured for the 3DS 2 main games of the single most important third party IP currently in Japan. If in the future other MH appear on the competing console, the 3DS will have its bases covered still.

And with the perspective of having those games many MH gamers will migrate to the 3DS in Japan. Nintendo will have put a foothold on a market they didn't have before. Whereas the competing console has nothing until Capcom decides to announce MH games for it, which is not granted right now, as we don't know the details of the deal between Nintendo and Capcom.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here. You're just telling me that there are Monster Hunter games on 3DS. I already know that.

neptunes

Loonz said:

This is an entirely new generation, who would have known that Monster Hunter would blow up the way that it did Who's to say that an entirely new IP won't come out this generation (on either or both handhelds) and completely dwarf the sales of Monster Hunter?

Shit such a game might not even be in the same vein as Monster Hunter (i.e. a clone)

StuBurns

Banned
What I find interesting is the assumption monhun fans will only buy one handheld. I have literally nothing to back this up, but I imagine most of them own DSs too.

Sky Chief said:
If this is really the case in the long run and considering, as others have mentioned, that the Vita seems to have the perfect control setup for this style of game (no need to buy a bulky add on) then I can see one of two things happening; either Capcom brings the game to Vita and makes a killing or one of the Monster Hunter knock offs made specifically for Vita takes over as top dog in Japan.

edit: never mind

Kuran

Banned
StuBurns said:
What I find interesting is the assumption monhun fans will only buy one handheld. I have literally nothing to back this up, but I imagine most of them own DSs too.

I can only speak for myself, I put thousand(s) of hours into the monhun franchise, and I feel butthurt about this move.

matmanx1

Caapcom's history and current strategy seem to point to some kind of MonHun at some point in Vita's future. At this point it's probably more a question of which and when rather than if.

In the meantime the Vita still seems to have a bright future for at least the launch window.

Kyoufu said:
So basically:

Capcom puts out a press release for MH3G saying it is going multi platform

then Shuhei Yoshida says Capcom is a multi platform company

and someone somehow thinks PSP/Vita won't have a monster hunter ever again.

ok.

9 of the 10 highest selling handheld games in Japan last gen were on a Nintendo system. The one Megaseller franchise that Sony had in that top ten is now on a Nintendo system as well. Capcom could announce 3G and 4 for Vita today and it wouldn't matter. The point is that Sony had one card up their sleeve last gen to keep them in the race and they now have none. On the topic of how the Vita will succeed in Japan, Monster Hunter is not an option. It was a Sony exclusive last gen and it is now, in Sony's best case scenario, multiplatform. There's no way this goes in Sony's favor, it's only a matter of whether this ends up being a scraped knee for them or a broken leg. If your point is that you really hope to play MH4, getting a 3DS is the only guaranteed way for you to do so. If your point is that a potential MH port to Vita will answer Sony's problems... sorry, no.

StuBurns

Banned
Kuran said:
I can only speak for myself, I put thousand(s) of hours into the monhun franchise, and I feel butthurt about this move.
Why? You would need to buy one system for the next ones anyway, and now it's the cheaper system.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Parmenides said:
-Nothing can stop the PS3 at this point,which will allow Sony to create a PS3/PSV ecosystem, similar to the PS360 alliance in the West.

-With or without Monster Hunter,the 3DS is the new Wii in terms of third party support/sales.

Oh, I almost forgot (lol)

SALES-AGE: Why Wii will be getting Japanese exclusives

Interesting take.

Pretty much the only somewhat evidence backed claim that Vita might survive similar to how 360 and PS3 kept each other strong in the west.

The PS3 might be the savior of the Vita.

Interesting take. I guess the only difference is that Vita would be getting a lot of console ports, instead of dedicated handheld games.

smurfx

get some go again
i like the capcom bashing but not because of this but this pandora nonsense and comeback factor in fighting games they have fallen in love with. -_-

Blast Processing said:
Anything to keep them from having to make a MH in anything like real HD, right? 3DS assets are still low-res enough to be cranked out cheaply.

Yea, it has a lower resolution than PSP. Seriously though peope who think the MH fanbase won't migrate to 3Ds when it's basically he same price as the PSP in Japan and is more powerful are crazy. MH3G looks great on 3DS, now all Nintendo has to do is let them transfer their Tri saves and they are set.

Cwarrior

OrangeGrayBlue said:
9 of the 10 highest selling handheld games in Japan last gen were on a Nintendo system. The one Megaseller franchise that Sony had in that top ten is now on a Nintendo system as well. Capcom could announce 3G and 4 for Vita today and it wouldn't matter. The point is that Sony had one card up their sleeve last gen to keep them in the race and they now have none. On the topic of how the Vita will succeed in Japan, Monster Hunter is not an option. It was a Sony exclusive last gen and it is now, in Sony's best case scenario, multiplatform. There's no way this goes in Sony's favor, it's only a matter of whether this ends up being a scraped knee for them or a broken leg. If your point is that you really hope to play MH4, getting a 3DS is the only guaranteed way for you to do so. If your point is that a potential MH port to Vita will answer Sony's problems... sorry, no.

Couldn't of said it better myself

/thread end

Loonz

Kyoufu said:
I don't really know what you're trying to say here. You're just telling me that there are Monster Hunter games on 3DS. I already know that.

Exactly, there are and will be games of the franchise in that system. That VS the hope of them being on the other system.

Many people are assuming here that, despite the fact Capcom hasn't shown interest to it, somehow the Vita will have sequels of those MH games. That may or may not be the case, we don't know yet. But until then, the only way to be sure to get access to those future games is the 3DS, and Capcom seems to be adamant to make sure the fans know this (ads for MHTG have already started on JP TV, even though the game is going to be released in December).

In any case, it has more sense to Capcom to release conversions of those games on the current PSP than on the Vita, as the userbase is there. If the migration rate of that userbase to the 3DS is not what Capcom hopes, then conversions could happen. Anyway, it's a huge boon for the console right now.

Laguna

Banned
Parmenides said:
-With or without Monster Hunter,the 3DS is the new Wii in terms of third party support/sales.
[/URL]

3DS will most likely have a 3rd party millionseller in Japan even before the handheld celebrates its first birthday.

The bigger question here now is when do you expect Vita to have a comparable successful 3rd party game?

Kyoufu

Ugh. I can't believe nobody here knows what a brand is. Yeah, if they put MH3G or MH4 on Vita it wouldn't really matter because 3DS has it and it has it first.

But you all seem to somehow forget that PSP hosts the "Portable" brand which is their best selling MH brand ever.

MH3G and MH4 aren't under the "Portable" brand, they're under the mainline naming.

Its frustrating to have to explain this over and over again but Capcom is not going to leave money on the table when there are 4.5 million+ Japanese PSP owners who are waiting for MH Portable 3rd G and Portable 4th.

Takuya

Banned
Loonz said:
Exactly, there are and will be games of the franchise in that system. That VS the hope of them being on the other system.

Many people are assuming here that, despite the fact Capcom hasn't shown interest to it, somehow the Vita will have sequels of those MH games. That may or not may be the case, we don't know yet. But until then, the only way to be sure to get access to those future games is the 3DS, and Capcom seems to be adamant to make sure the fans know this (ads for MHTG have already started on JP TV, even though the game is going to be released in December).
Not exactly. You see, a future game... gets released in the future. And until it's released, you don't know what platforms it WILL be on. You don't -need- to buy a 3DS right now to play MH4, you can buy one when MH4 releases as we know that it is already planned for 3DS. Let's say between now and the release of MH4 news for the release of the same game on X and Y other platforms comes to light, you can still get the game on X and Y platform in the future. Everything is pretty much moot until the game is on the retail shelves.

fernoca

Well, the response is not surprising. But keeping in mind that if there's MH game in the works for the Vita; and is not scheduled to be announced "now"; there's no reason to say anything else.

Is like when people asked Atlus about a possible release of Catherine in the US, and they said "no plans" or something like that, and people went crazy around saying that that confirmed that Catherine wasn't going to be released in the US...ever.

Atlus wasn't going to announce a game through a random email that someone sent; same way Sony or Capcom aren't going to announce a MH game for Vita through a random question someone asked.

Is like the people that email Nintendo of America asking about Xenoblade and expect a response like "yeah ,we're going to release it on January 12, 2012". Nope, they're going to say "no plans" or "we're considering it" or "no".

Takuya said:
So, what exactly are Sony's problems?

Namely that the only guaranteed smash hit they had has been taken away, at least in the sense of exclusivity. The Vita has some good upcoming games, but they don't have anything resembling an AAA title for the Japanese market. On top of that, they're releasing their system at a considerably higher price than the competitor and will be largely missing this holiday season's sales. Their situation is less grim in NA and Europe, but Japan is looking pretty bleak.

thefil

OrangeGrayBlue said:

I wonder what the situation is outside of the top ten for third parties. I have heard repeatedly that PSP has excellent third party support in Japan while the DS sort of fell off, and someone posted stats that say similar above.

Gaming isn't an ecosystem where one platform selling the most games is the end-all if all those games are first party. If Nintendo is continuing to have difficulty giving attention to third party titles on the 3DS, I don't see why the Vita couldn't survive while never having a game in the top ten, provided that third party titles sell better on Vita than anywhere else.

I mean, if we similarly examine how in the West first party Wii games outsell pretty much anything else, it doesn't mean that the third party market is all jumping on the Wii bandwagon.

This is the image I'm referring to:
w14b9g.png

We don't have a good picture of the third-party marketplace in Japan from here, I think. That image is almost meaningless, it gives a picture of an industry where Nintendo is selling a platform that only plays their own games.

FoneBone

Kyoufu said:
But you all seem to somehow forget that PSP hosts the "Portable" brand which is their best selling MH brand ever.

MH3G and MH4 aren't under the "Portable" brand, they're under the mainline naming.

Its frustrating to have to explain this over and over again but Capcom is not going to leave money on the table when there are 4.5 million+ Japanese PSP owners who are waiting for MH Portable 3rd G and Portable 4th.
Really? The MH Portable games weren't bigger than their console counterparts because of the title. They were bigger because they were, well, portable, and the console games weren't. Now that the "main" (but previously lower-selling) games are going portable, there's no reason to think they won't grow accordingly.

That's not to say that they won't keep the Portable brand or some equivalent thereof Sony-exclusive, but using that to blow off the significance of this announcement is laughably inane.

Takuya said:
Not exactly. You see, a future game... gets released in the future. And until it's released, you don't know what platforms it WILL be on. You don't -need- to buy a 3DS right now to play MH4, you can buy one when MH4 releases as we know that it is already planned for 3DS. Let's say between now and the release of MH4 news for the release of the same game on X and Y other platforms comes to light, you can still get the game on X and Y platform in the future. Everything is pretty much moot until the game is on the retail shelves.
You know, there's a reason why Nintendo and Capcom announced MH4 months before the release of 3G...

likeGdid

FoneBone said:
Really? The MH Portable games weren't bigger than their console counterparts because of the title. They were bigger because they were, well, portable, and the console games weren't. Now that the "main" (but previously lower-selling) games are going portable, there's no reason to think they won't grow accordingly.

That's not to say that they won't keep the Portable brand or some equivalent thereof Sony-exclusive, but using that to blow off the significance of this announcement is laughably inane.

This makes me wonder if the mainline series are on portables, will the consoles occasionally get updated Monster Hunter "Stationary" based on the portables?

Loonz

Kyoufu said:
Ugh. I can't believe nobody here knows what a brand is. Yeah, if they put MH3G or MH4 on Vita it wouldn't really matter because 3DS has it and it has it first.

Well, what are you trying to say here?. That Capcom will release more MH games on the PSP?. Because I see it probable. The way I see it, Capcom is preparing the migration of their userbase to the 3DS, a platform with more future that the current PSP. But as long as they have enough users on the PSP, I think they will probably keep releasing games for them.

OrangeGrayBlue said:

Yes that was last gen we have no clue how this new gen is gonna play out. New ip's or existing ip's will bubble up and become popular it always happens. look at Monster hunter or call of duty for examples. Sony's problem is they don't have any first party games from their japanese division that sells as well as the hundreds of mario game's nintendo makes or pokemon, dragon quest, final fantasy, or monster hunter. They need first party games from their japanese division that become mega hits instead of relying on third party's who in end don't have loyalty to any of the console manufactures outside of who can write them the biggest check or make them the most money. They should take the same approach they are taking with the ps3 which is invest heavily in first party games and hope it works out because it looks like a repeat of the situation they just dealt with on the ps3.

kevm3

I have a feeling one of the reasons it went to 3ds is so that Capcom doesn't have to spend all of that money making PS3 level assets. They will probably port it down the line to Vita with some improved graphical effects such as better AA, etc.

Kyoufu said:

The portable brand was the best selling back when the main series was on the PS2 and portable was the only way to have monster hunter on the go. Now that the main series IS portable, you really can't even make this comparison. They may release a "portable" title for Vita, but with 3G and 4 also being portable, the portable brand will not be as strong. By the way, did I use the word portable?

Kyoufu

FoneBone said:

That's not to say that they won't keep the Portable brand or some equivalent thereof Sony-exclusive, but using that to blow off the significance of this announcement is laughably inane

Oh my god. This will be my last post in this thread but I'll say this before I leave:

Nintendo having MonHun is huge. It will sell millions of games, millions of handhelds. Great for them.

Not once have I ever said that it won't be "significant". Any Monster Hunter release (outside of Frontier) is significant to MH fans like myself.

My point is that Nintendo has one brand of MH, while Sony has the other. How hard is this to understand?

FoneBone said:
Also, this is an argument in favor of a PSP release for those games, not a Vita release.

Absolutely. Unless Capcom takes the leap, I'm confident MH3rd G will be on PSP, but that is completely up to Capcom if they want to make the transition from PSP -> Vita.

FoneBone

Kyoufu said:
Also, this is an argument in favor of a PSP release for those games, not a Vita release.

Kyoufu said:
Oh my god. This will be my last post in this thread but I'll say this before I leave:

Nintendo having MonHun is huge. It will sell millions of games, millions of handhelds. Great for them.

Not once have I ever said that it won't be "significant". Any Monster Hunter release (outside of Frontier) is significant to MH fans like myself.

My point is that Nintendo has one brand of MH, while Sony has the other. How hard is this to understand?
You're the one who just explicitly attempted to downplay the significance of the 3DS announcements because they weren't part of the "right" series.

Wazzim

Banned
GCX said:
hahaha

Kuran said:
I cried that day, so yes.
I cried when FFXIII multi was announced, ended up playing it on 360. :lol

thefil said:
One more consideration is that Monster Hunter was moved away from PS3 because of development costs/time, which was obviously the right decision. Vita could present the same problem if they want to maximize hardware.
They have enough Portable moniez this time around, no excuse.

thefil

One more consideration is that Monster Hunter was moved away from PS3 because of development costs/time, which was obviously the right decision. Vita could present the same problem if they want to maximize hardware.

Loonz

Takuya said:

MHTG will be released next December. MH4 will be on the 3DS because they're preparing the migration of the userbase with TriG, it would be stupid to do otherwise. And Capcom is greedy, but not stupid.

An example: RE 4, even though it had a version on the PS2, was released first on the GC as it was previously scheduled. If you bought a GC for it, you could play it in the end. This is the same, with the difference that as of now, no version of MH4 has been announced for any other plaftorm.

I say it might pop up on VIta down the road depending on how the platform sells and how much sony wants it.

Still Nintendo NEEDED Monster Hunter on 3DS for japan. there entire portable business was being shat on, stock prices where falling and so on.

and Unlike sony in 2006 who where in a similar rut Nintendo had the money and the balls to buy some exclusives and drop the price.

I expect we will see similar western games show up out of nowhere on 3DS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
thefil said:

Right. This is the cheap and profitable decision for Capcom.

Takuya said:

it's no use, save your breath.

they've already decided that they're going to return the PSV they are going to preorder in the future, when it releases in the future, and put the credit toward the future revision of the 3DS that incorporates 3 analog sticks and has games released on it that haven't even been announced yet, but they *know* will be.... in the future.

Takuya

Banned
Loonz said:
MHTG will be released next December. MH4 will be on the 3DS because they're preparing the migration of the userbase with TriG, it would be stupid to do otherwise. And Capcom is greedy, but not stupid.

An example: RE 4, even though it had a version on the PS2, was released first on the GC as it was previously scheduled. If you bought a GC for it, you could play it in the end. This is the same, with the difference that as of now, no version of MH4 has been announced for any other plaftorm.
If the target MH audience has no interest in any other game on the platform prior to MH4, they do not need to purchase a 3DS until the release. And when that time comes, nobody knows if 3DS will still be the only platform for which the game is available on. That was the point of my post.

pvpness

No problem. If you wanna play Tri G / MH4 just pick up a 3DS. Easy. It's not like MH was promised for the Vita, the Vita released and then Capcom pulled the old switcheroo. Nobody even has a Vita right now so committing to it when the 3DS has the games you want to play would be, uh, stupid.

Beyond that, I'm sure that if the Vita explodes in popularity, Capcom will release MH something for it. Just gotta wait 3 or so years.

Off-topic but after so many years SCE only has 1 mega franchise and that's it. SCE should blame themselves for not creating more big time Japanese franchises; depending on 3rd parties is risky.

Top Bottom