• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword 5 Minutes Overview Trailer [Spoilers May Vary.]

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BY2K said:
Because I went from complete media blackout to this... But I couldn't hold it, the hype is getting to me. This, with Dark Souls, has been one of my most anticipated games of all time.

GamerSoul

othersteve said:
All,

Here's my impressions from 18 hours in, again, as spoiler-free as possible (if you're already in this thread, you've seen more than I reveal in my article):

http://digitalchumps.com/featured-electronics/132-features/8544-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-impressions-18-hours-in.html

Podcast coming in a few moments also!

Edit: The race of robots is called Scrappers.

Awesome, It was my first time reading an article from that site and I liked the impressions. Hype increasing.

Red

othersteve said:
Hey Crunched,

It's way different however. You actually have full control over Link while dashing in SS, and it just feels so much better. Plus, you are constrained instead by the stamina meter rather than your straight-line trajectory with the Pegasus boots.
Good to hear. Your impressions have been the most thorough I've seen so far, so thanks for posting.

Yoshichan said:
Because I went from complete media blackout to this... But I couldn't hold it, the hype is getting to me. This, with Dark Souls, has been one of my most anticipated games of all time.

Compared to the media already out there, the preview is child's play when it comes to spoilers. But, I can now talk about stuff up till the end of the second dungeon.

Code_Link

Tweet by Phillip Kollar:

https://twitter.com/#!/pkollar/status/132498275013099520

@pkollar Philip Kollar
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the first 10 I've given out in a review at GI. The full review doesn't go up until next week, but...
13 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Not sure if it's been shown yet, but I'm just about to post a very short clip of a little bit of the third dungeon also if anyone's interested.

And thank you for the feedback guys! I love hearing people's responses to my work. :)

HeySeuss

Code_Link said:
Tweet by Phillip Kollar:

https://twitter.com/#!/pkollar/status/132498275013099520

@pkollar Philip Kollar
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the first 10 I've given out in a review at GI. The full review doesn't go up until next week, but...
13 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Second opinion, 7.5 just to balance out.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is it ok if I make a spoiler-free round up thread for the previews being released today/impressions? I know Amirox's OT goes up on Sunday but until then I think it would be nice to have a place for disscussion without need to dodge gifs and other media from the highly spoiler-ific updates that Nintendo is releasing.

Viewing this thread without getting spoiled is like trying to not get burned while walking on a trail of flaming coal.

Edit: Ahhh review thread is back. Probably too many SS threads now, Ill just tread lightly here and there unless a mod gives me the ok. These last two weeks are going to be outrageously tough to keep away from the leaks, spoilers, and temptations lol.

othersteve said:
Not sure if it's been shown yet, but I'm just about to post a very short clip of a little bit of the third dungeon also if anyone's interested.

And thank you for the feedback guys! I love hearing people's responses to my work. :)

Official media has shown that dungeon and well past it.

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
Compared to the media already out there, the preview is child's play when it comes to spoilers. But, I can now talk about stuff up till the end of the second dungeon.
So who is the name of the Sheikah woman?

GamerSoul

Crunched said:
Why Skyward Sword is so good it makes my dick rock hard
That would be a good title for a preview. lol.

I'm having a very hard time focusing on programming hw right now. Damn you Zelda!

6312289515_65db30ac51_o.jpg

This guy is soo funny XD

Big One said:
So who is the name of the Sheikah woman?

That's not something I can answer yet. It's revealed later on past the spot I can talk about. Next Friday I can answer that question.

Kard8p3 said:
Will you guys be talking about it on Invisible Walls?

I'm not sure if it will be on next week's show or not, but I will suggest it be a topic.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That boss looks like something from Kid Icarus, like Medusa-meets-Eggplant Wizard.

RPGCrazied

About dungeon count.

From the movie from GT today, it looks like
3 to power up the Goddess Sword to the Master Sword, than maybe another 3 to get the triforce pieces?

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
That's not something I can answer yet. It's revealed later on past the spot I can talk about. Next Friday I can answer that question.
Come on man at least give us a hint.

We all know it's either Impa or Sheik

Big One

Banned
Alright TSA another question: Is there more to Ghirahim than just being a traditional villain? Surely you can spoil us on that one!

How long did it take for you to get to Eldin Volcano?

Do the motion controls still bother you?

How do you think people will react to the game once it's finally out?

Big One said:
Come on man at least give us a hint.

We all know it's either Impa or Sheik

Seriously, I'll tell you *almost* everything about that character next Friday. You do see that character en route to the Earth Temple, and she basically tells you Zelda is ahead and to hurry up. Watching the IGN preview, I don't think I share the same sentiment as Audrey about this game, but to each their own.

Big One said:
Alright TSA another question: Is there more to Ghirahim than just being a traditional villain? Surely you can spoil us on that one!

How long did it take for you to get to Eldin Volcano?

Do the motion controls still bother you?

How do you think people will react to the game once it's finally out?

1) He appears before you in the Skyview and Earth Temples, the latter of which you guys really haven't seen yet. He basically vents to Link (he says he forgot his name) about how frustrated he is that his minions had captured Zelda, but that the Agent of the Goddess rescued her before he could arrive. He needs the spirit maiden in order to revive his master. So, to release his anger, he unleashes Pyroclastic Fiend Scaldera. But, as to the specifics you seek, I won't be able to answer those yet.

2) It was definitely under 10 hours. Maybe 7-8?

3) For sword combat, no. That's the biggest surprise. The one thing I thought would be a detriment turned out to be fine, and I love the parry system (though I did hurt my left arm at one point). For some other stuff, it didn't go down as smoothly. Mainly using bombs in crunch situations at first, and item switching in similar instances. However, I still would have liked to have played this somehow on a GCN controller or Classic Pro somehow. If somebody will do a code patch like they did for DKCR to make parrying a simple button press, my left arm will thank you.

4) I don't know, I think people will probably really like the game.

Kard8p3 said:
I'd guess that means you don't like it as much as she does but you probably can't share you're full impressions right now anyway. Can you say how much you like it compared to other zelda games or does that have to wait till next week too?

Yet, let's wait till next Friday on that. Just remember I am not doing the review for GT. However, I will gladly share my personal thoughts then.

BY2K said:
The GT Preview almost sounds as happy about the game as IGN is. Almost.

Did you write a preview? Are you the one writing the review?

I wrote the preview. See above for the other answer. I don't know, Audrey seemed to be gushing about the game, whereas the GT preview isn't really critical about the game, it just states observations/facts. Least, that's how it appears to me.

Kard8p3

TSA said:
Watching the IGN preview, I don't think I share the same sentiment as Audrey about this game, but to each their own.

I'd guess that means you don't like it as much as she does but you probably can't share you're full impressions right now anyway. Can you say how much you like it compared to other zelda games or does that have to wait till next week too?

BY2K

Membero Americo
TSA said:
Seriously, I'll tell you *almost* everything about that character next Friday. You do see that character en route to the Earth Temple, and she basically tells you Zelda is ahead and to hurry up. Watching the IGN preview, I don't think I share the same sentiment as Audrey about this game, but to each their own.

The GT Preview almost sounds as happy about the game as IGN is. Almost.

Did you write a preview? Are you the one writing the review?

Big One

Banned
Alright cool, was hoping to hear that Ghirahim had some type of backstory

Do you fight Ghirahim in Eldin Volcano?

Also is there an equivalent to Faron, the Water Dragon in the fire area?

Big One said:
Alright cool, was hoping to hear that Ghirahim had some type of backstory

Do you fight Ghirahim in Eldin Volcano?

Also is there an equivalent to Faron, the Water Dragon in the fire area?

1) You do not fight Ghirahim inside the Earth Temple. Scaldera is the boss.
2) When you are making your way to the Earth Temple through Eldin Volcano, you do not come across such a creature, no. Can't say anymore than that. There is a dragon statue inside the Earth Temple that reminded me a bit of Volvagia, but it's never given a name or even mentioned in the text as far as I saw.

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
1) You do not fight Ghirahim inside the Earth Temple. Scaldera is the boss.
Ah so I guess we fight him in Fire Sanctuary then like the Japanese trailer shows

TSA said:
2) When you are making your way to the Earth Temple through Eldin Volcano, you do not come across such a creature, no. Can't say anymore than that. There is a dragon statue inside the temple that reminded me a bit of Volvagia, but it's never given a name or even mentioned in the text as far as I saw.
Just to clarify this here, are we sticking to "up to Earth Temple" or is this an aspect of the entire game?

Big One said:
Ah so I guess we fight him in Fire Sanctuary then like the Japanese trailer shows

Just to clarify this here, are we sticking to "up to Earth Temple" or is this an aspect of the entire game?

I'm only speaking about up to the Earth Temple.

Kard8p3 said:

Its not dude Bro enough maybe?

Kard8p3

TSA said:
I'm only speaking about up to the Earth Temple.

I actually have a question about the Faron Woods. Does the part where you have to hunt for the Kikwis feel like meaningless filler or is it done in a way that still feels like you're doing something meaningful?

Big One

Banned
Alright another few questions for you TSA:

What's the name of the old man/lady in the Sacred Grove-esque area? Surely you can answer that cause that's the first area Link goes into from what I hear.

How do the sidequests stack up to Majora's Mask?

What is the deal with collecting points for fulfilling certain sidequests?

In terms of actual areas with people in it, does the world below contain just as much life as Skyloft does?

Do you think this game screws up anything in the timeline?

Does it have a more interesting presence as a prequel than you thought? (I remember you complained that it being about the Master Sword did not make it worthy enough to be a prequel)

Thoraxes

Kard8p3 said:
They kind of just do pre-release things like apples an oranges. Some people are just better at remaining more matter-of-factly while others will shout HYPE HYPE HYPE from the mountains.

Also i'm not kidding about this, everytime I commute (which is 2, 1-hour train rides), I have a 20-minute loop of the Skyward Sword theme that I listen to non-stop the entire ride in BOTH directions. Even beyond my hype, the composition and orchestration are just so fucking solid. The theme is like Gusty Garden in my mind; it's perfect really and completely solid in all aspects. It's like Hamauzu music for me, and never gets old.

Watch Da Birdie

There's a new model of Ghirahim official art on Zelda Informer, among other new pieces...

Ghirahim definitely looks like he's becoming corrupted, with more and more patches of black.

Chavelo

How I felt before moving in to my new place (No Wii):

tumblr_l7r216hStM1qabz2jo1_500.jpg

How I'm feeling right now since roommate all of a sudden has a Wii in the living room:

Raisins_Face.jpg

RagnarokX

I made a labeled version of the quest screen: http://i43.tinypic.com/izs1ud.jpg

There are a few things on it I'm not sure we've seen yet

Watch Da Birdie said:
There's a new model of Ghirahim official art on Zelda Informer, among other new pieces...

Ghirahim definitely looks like he's becoming corrupted, with more and more patches of black.
They show off several colors of rupee, one of which is black. Rupoors?

Thoraxes

Also, I can't mention enough how much I love how they turned their artstyle into something that actually plays to the capabilities of the system. I love it when developers do that.

Watch Da Birdie

Man, I love the scene in the GT trailer where Link is fighting the Bokoblin and the Goron is hanging out in the back still trying to read his map and just cheering Link on as he just carefully dodges the Bokoblin. Such a nice touch. We've never really had any NPCs react to enemies really, so that's cool.

Watch Da Birdie

RagnarokX said:
They show off several colors of rupee, one of which is black. Rupoors?

Wouldn't surprise me, we're seeing a lot of nods to the handhelds.

I just realized the pirate Stalfos is probably a reference to the Piratians from the Oracle games, too.

RagnarokX

Watch Da Birdie said:
Wouldn't surprise me, we're seeing a lot of nods to the handhelds.

I just realized the pirate Stalfos is probably a reference to the Piratians from the Oracle games, too.
Stalfos? It's a robot.

Kard8p3 said:
Do I hear the original Zelda overworld theme is this video? Yes I do believe I do.

It kind of sounded like an orchestral version that I've heard before... but I would like some confirmation, somehow... I know this might sound epic fanboy extreme but I don't know that I would be able to call this the "best Zelda ever" or "THE definitive Zelda" without the traditional overworld music. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Top Bottom