• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A-list actors who fell off the face the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin Ray

Is Kate Beckinsale stuck in nothing but underworld sequels?

Can Aaron Eckhart be a leading man again after I, Frankenstein ?

What happened to Leelee Sobieski, Julia Stiles, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hilary Swank?

This is also the first summer I can remember where Will Smith didn't star in a summer block buster. Not sure what that means but it's something.

Ridley327

Is Kate Beckinsale stuck in nothing but underworld sequels?

Can Aaron Eckhart be a leading again man after I, Frankenstein ?

What happened to Leelee Sobieski, Julia Stiles, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hilary Swank?

This is also the first summer I can remember where Will Smith didn't star in a summer block buster. Not sure what that means but it's something.

Well, at least she can count on her husband to give her steady work, even if it is of the "what if I was a badass vampire assassin person" wish fulfillment kind.

Krakn3Dfx

Cuba Gooding Jr. seems to have fallen on hard times after Snow Dogs (the Disney live action curse?), appearing in a string of straight-to-video releases after the fact, but it seems like he might be rising back up out of the ashes. I hope so, always did like him.

Jin

Meg Ryan's career went downhill when news broke out of her affair with Russel Crowe while she was still married to Dennis Quaid. She always had this girl next door image about her and it, along with her career, went out the door with the affair. Then she turned 40 and the plastic surgery came. It's a shame because I really like her work in City of Angels and You've got Mail.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I miss Kevin Kline. Dude is a phenomenal actor, both in comedy and drama.

Ridley327

Cuba Gooding Jr. seems to have fallen on hard times after Snow Dogs (the Disney live action curse?), appearing in a string of straight-to-video releases after the fact, but it seems like he might be rising back up out of the ashes. I hope so, always did like him.

His career was in the shitter long before that film. He's incapable of saying no to plainly bad roles.

HokieJoe

Don't even get good ones.

Jennifer Grey who went from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dirty Dancing to a non-existent career in one operation. She could have been one of the leading ladies from the 90s.

Jennifer-Grey-Plastic-Surgery-Picture.jpg

Yep. She RUINED her nose.

Phoebe Cates. Not an A lister, but I liked her in Fast Times and Gremlins. Guess she retired to raise her family.

A bit OT, but Fast Times had quite a number of A listers before they were famous for their supporting cast.

It's kinda ironic that while the main cast (with the exception of Sean Penn and probably Judge Reinhold in Beverly Hills Cop) fizzled out in their acting careers later on, folk like Nicholas Cage and Forest Whitaker eventually moved on to bigger and better things.

Joni

He's worth $15million. I think he just fucks around with friends and has a good time. Doesn't sound so bad.
He almost died from his drugs addiction in 2012, replaced that drugs addiction by upping his smoking and alcohol addiction. On the upside, he is said to be worth about $200 million more than you think.

He looks miserable every time I see him in a recent picture.
Maybe, he is actually happy, who knows...
He clearly went through a very dark phase. Giving a kid a lot of money and trading that for their youth doesn't seem to work out all the time. Lindsay Lohan and Daniel Radcliffe can testify too.

He almost died from his drugs addiction in 2012, replaced that drugs addiction by upping his smoking and alcohol addiction. On the upside, he is said to be worth about $200 million more than you think.

He clearly went through a very dark phase. Giving a kid a lot of money and trading that for their youth doesn't seem to work out all the time. Lindsay Lohan and Daniel Radcliffe can testify too.
Daniel Radcliffe?
What kind of trouble or dark phases has he been through? Or are you just referring to money and fame during youth not equaling happiness?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

I just googled his net worth and it said $15million....

Christian Slater is the one that always comes to mind for me. He was everywhere in the mid-90s, and then kinda just disappeared. I don't recall any big roles for him after Very Bad Things.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Macaulay Culkin?
He was a A lister, right?

He basically retired. He did one interview a few years ago where he admitted that he made enough money to never have to work full time again. He does small personal projects and DJ's on the side apparently.

Joni

Daniel Radcliffe? What kind of trouble or dark phases has he been through? Or are you just referring to money and fame during youth not equaling happiness?
Alcohol addiction in a self-destructive capacity. He filmed some of the Harry Potter movies drunk. You're giving these kids huge amounts of money and attention, but take away their capacity to grow up. Mara Wilson wrote an excellent story on why these kids actually go mad ( http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-child-stars-go-crazy-an-insiders-perspective/ )

inm8num2

she used to have plenty of succesful chick flicks then after that film with ashton kutcher, BOOM disappeared from the face of earth.

She was apparently very difficult to work with and a giant headache for directors, producers, crew members, fellow actors, etc.

Revolver

she used to have plenty of succesful chick flicks then after that film with ashton kutcher, BOOM disappeared from the face of earth.

She got a rep as being a diva and difficult to work with. The last thing I saw her in was an ad for ZzzQuil. I think she's supposed to be in a new series on NBC this fall though.

Kadayi

Banned
Josh harnett mentioned yet?

He's been in the Penny Dreadful a Victorian Gothic television drama along with Timothy Dalton & Eva Green.

In truth I think the film industry has contracted somewhat in terms of roles and opportunities that a lot more actors who are known for film work but have seen their star diminish are likely going to hitch their wagons to TV Drama going forward. It's regular work, the acting opportunities are decent and if a show takes off then there's a good chance that it will land you film gigs (Brian Cranston & Aaron Paul spring to mind).

Without some 'draw' though the odds of getting a leading role casting are slim. Hell if even Tom Cruise can't put bums on Cinema Seats with a well regarded film like ' Edge of Tomorrow' what chance a lot of the people mentioned in this thread.

I dont like how some actors completely stop giving fucks after they win Oscar. Its like their goal was accomplished and everything else is gravy. Halle Berry, Adrien Brody come to mind. But then again, I dont think Brody's performance in The Pianist was noteworthy or exceptional so maybe he always was a mediocre actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom