• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just saw this on 4chan, and I don't know if I believe it, or believe how mindfucked I am right now. Apologies if a repost, though I think it isn't.

JpIF1.png

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Jasoco said:
C.J. Worf?

Where did that come from? Why do they never call him C.J.? Does the C. stand for Commander? Then what does the J. stand for? Now I'm confused.

Lieutenant Commander Junior Grade.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Clipper said:
Seems pretty cool at first, but I think it's fake. I can only count 24 faces and 48 vertices.
2 + 4 = 6

4 + 8 = 12

6 * 12 = 72

7 + 2 = 9

72 - 9 = 63

63 + 1 great gaming console = 64

MNC

There's probably some vertices halfway through most of the middle parts of the Ns, plus aren't faces usually divided in 2?

Edit: Anyway we just need a wireframe to confirm.

Koren

MNC said:
There's probably some vertices halfway through most of the middle parts of the Ns, plus aren't faces usually divided in 2?
If you divide every quads in two, you go past 64 (something like 80) But you don't have to divide a quad in two for a face.

They probably simply added vertex and triangles to get that 64/64 figure, it's not difficult.

Rapstah

Konami conference mind-blowing stuff: (qualifies as gaming)
  • The guy who presented Dance Masters together with Naoki Maeda
  • The "strictly confidential" guy whose head fell off in the Never Dead presentation
  • and the translator in this video if not all Dance Masters related Naoki translations
... are all Thomas Nagano. :O

Rapstah said:
  • The "strictly confidential" guy whose head fell off in the Never Dead presentation
  • and the translator in this video if not all Dance Masters related Naoki translations
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
2vuioeo.gif

MMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Joe Molotov

benjipwns said:
Which would make it a typo or mix-up, potentially bad information from the source or something.

Worf was a Junior Grade in the first season of TNG. Remember, he wasn't Chief of Security until after Lt. Yar died. But still, there is quite a bit in that article that seems suspect. Like that Worf is "the only one of his kind to associate with humans" or that "deep in his heart he believes that he deserves to be captain of the Enterprise". :lol

Chao

Baiano19 said:
I only played the JP version... never saw that spike bug before.
In the version I played as a kid, Sonic would die if he touched the spikes a second time before recovering

One could even make a case that Swellow made a cameo appearance in The Simpsons Movie; at the conclusion of a newscast, Kent Brockman states "It's the time of year when the Swellow's return to Springfield", and a number of birds resembling the Pokémon crash into the dome surrounding the city and begin to slowly slide down to the hungry cats waiting below. What makes this brief appearance even more surprising is that while Pikachu and Charizard are somewhat familiar to the general public, Swellow is not.

o_O

canyel

Neo Member
2r2107a.jpg

Using 10-gons and quads: 48 verts, 24 faces
Using only triangles: 48 verts, 96 faces
Using tris and quads: 48 verts, 56 faces
Using only quads (above pic): 64 verts, 64 faces

I guess the N64 could only draw quads, so 64 verts were necessary.

Clipper

canyel said:

Why do the externals of the vertical struts need to use 3 quads (and internals 2)? Couldn't they just use 1?

And is this that model in your pic extracted from a Nintendo property, or is it just a mock-up?

Rapstah said:

He also presented Dance Dance Revolution Wii with Naoki at E3 2009 Konami Conference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1795nh3rkM

canyel

Neo Member
Clipper said:
Why do the externals of the vertical struts need to use 3 quads (and internals 2)? Couldn't they just use 1?

And is this that model in your pic extracted from a Nintendo property, or is it just a mock-up?

They could, but it would mean having seams in the model because the pillar edges wouldn't be connected to the slope edges (different lengths). With seams you'd sometimes see through the model, maybe get z-fighting...

It's just a mock-up.

Listening to L4D music today I noticed the main theme is just a slowed down version of the Tank's theme

Tanks theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhiGnj7QX2A&feature=related

L4D Main Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtrSNUJcvJY&feature=related

Listen at 30 seconds on the main theme. That's the tank's theme, and the entire rest of the song is Tank's theme.

Kind of cool that there's kind of a theme through the whole game in music.

Now the question is, is Tank's theme just the L4D theme made to sound like a boss, or is the L4D theme Tank's theme because of how "epic" it is during gameplay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
King Hippo
Donkey Kong

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
canyel said:
2r2107a.jpg

Came to post this. (Actually, I did)

Mind-blown.

oracrest

canyel said:
2r2107a.jpg

As much as this seems like a mind blowing coincidence, 64 is a very common value used in 3D rendering. It's a power of 2, which makes it faster to calculate. Considering this would load every time you turn the system on, it was probably set to that number on purpose.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Emonga said:
One could even make a case that Swellow made a cameo appearance in The Simpsons Movie; at the conclusion of a newscast, Kent Brockman states "It's the time of year when the Swellow's return to Springfield", and a number of birds resembling the Pokémon crash into the dome surrounding the city and begin to slowly slide down to the hungry cats waiting below. What makes this brief appearance even more surprising is that while Pikachu and Charizard are somewhat familiar to the general public, Swellow is not.

o_O

I'm not sure where you got that from, but that one is probably a misunderstanding. Swallows are migratory birds famous for leaving and returning to a place called Capistrano. Their return is celebrated and even has a fairly famous song about the event. It was a fairly common gag in some older cartoons.

Now, the Swellow pokemon is obviously a play off of the Swallow.

Swellow:
277.png

(a type of) Swallow:
barn_swallow.jpg

So that's why the birds in the movie look like the pokemon.

As for Kent Brockman saying "swellow," it was either misheard or slightly garbled with the character's accent.

I haven't checked this against the movie, so I may be wrong. However, I think my explanation is probably a bit more reasonable.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
Night is shorter than day in the Mushroom Kingdom, apparently.

Night is shorter than day in real life, also

During the summer in most parts of the world, at least

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Got this one from reading TVTropes about Epic Mickey's opening, regarding certain actor reference (Gonna spoiler it just in case)

TVTrope said:
While watching the opening cinematic to Epic Mickey (video released by IGN), I noticed that Mickey's calendar was changing pics, each representing a screenshot from his cartoons, all the way up to "The Prince and the Pauper". The image last torn before that was from "Mickey's Christmas Carol", which if I recall correctly, was the first cartoon to have Wayne Allwine voice Mickey Mouse. The image was of Mickey holding Tiny Tim's crutch in sadness, and it made me realize: he's also mourning the loss of Wayne, who passed away in 2009!

Whenever that was in purpose or just coincidental, it's awesome.

NoRéN

bernardobri said:
Got this one from reading TVTropes about Epic Mickey's opening, regarding certain actor reference (Gonna spoiler it just in case)

Whenever that was in purpose or just coincidental, it's awesome.
Damn. Totally awesome...and sad.

Top Bottom