• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America to hold Media Summit on Feb. 24

ILikeFeet

Banned
wsippel said:
There are weapons, though. You can see an icon showing the currently selected weapon in one of the top corners. It's definitely not Endless Ocean in space. If it even still exists, that is...

how many people still believed Zangeki still existed prior to a month or so ago?

Hero of Legend said:
Span Smasher and Line Attack Heroes did at E3.

I still have the media package full of high res art for both of those games from last E3. they should be doing it again. (if anyone wants them, could you direct me to a hosting site?)

I posted this quotation before but I'm posting it again. I really think we might see Pikmin 3 at this conference, and if not, sometime this year:

"With Pikmin 3, we've got all the basics pretty much done. Now it's just a matter of how do we go in and fill that out? What sort of work do we give our designers? That team has been constantly been moving forward. So with a little time, we'll be able to make more progress and I hope we can bring you something that will make you happy."

As excited as I am for the press conference and E3, I don't know if we will see any hardware announcements until the end of the year, and I expect Nintendo's support of the Wii and DS will slow to a halt within the next few years.

Magypsy23 said:
The Ngamer tweet is a "top story" on GοNintendo now. :lol

I don't understand what's going on with NGamer. In the past I've considered them more or less a trustworthy source. They've been making some pretty bold, unsubstantiated tweets though.

ShineALight said:
I don't understand what's going on with NGamer. In the past I've considered them more or less a trustworthy source. They've been making some pretty bold, unsubstantiated tweets though.
Yeah, either they are pulling complete shit out of their asses or they have risen to geek-god tier by being the first to brake Sonic in SMG2 and now saying that something BIG is coming from this thing . . . :/

Not feeling NGamer's twit, oh, and Reggie pisses me off, that's why I don't expect anything new from this Media Summit.

Iwata got games like Fatal Frame 4, Dragon Quest X and Monster Hunter 3, but in US we see nothing of Rockstar or Bioware for Wii.

And it helps a lot not having a confirmation of most japanese games. =/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
VegaShinra said:
The summit is going to last from 9am-9pm. That's a lot of time to show and play stuff.

I'm pretty sure they need 12 hours to go over every inch of the new DS screen.

cacildo

Sammy Samusu said:
Not feeling NGamer's twit, oh, and Reggie pisses me off, that's why I don't expect anything new from this Media Summit.

Iwata got games like Fatal Frame 4, Dragon Quest X and Monster Hunter 3, but in US we see nothing of Rockstar or Bioware for Wii.

And it helps a lot not having a confirmation of most japanese games. =/

Got a point. In the reggie vs iwata part

Sipowicz

Banned
i cant really imagine what they could show that could surpass last years E3. zelda footage would be pretty huge, but not as huge as all the E3 announcements

and again, third parties aren't going to do anything so they're kind of stuck

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's only for Nintendo stuff? If in the summit they announce that Mh3 is free2p then It already surpassed my expectations.

defferoo

cacildo said:
nonono! Amazing offer: you dont have to buy anything except the game itself. 720p by software (game, not system) + component cables. Only new games like Metroid and Galaxy 2 have this option. Old games still SD

What about now?

impossible. the wii's framebuffer can't support that many pixels. even if the wii was just trying to display hello world. it wouldn't be able to do it in HD. and we'll never get HD through a software update.

defferoo said:
impossible. the wii's framebuffer can't support that many pixels. even if the wii was just trying to display hello world. it wouldn't be able to do it in HD. and we'll never get HD through a software update.

The PS2 "cheated" HD didn't it? How did it do that again?

defferoo said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Wii framebuffer is big enough for 720p, with tearing (meaning, no double-buffering).

vazel

Banned
The PS2 had a bigger usable framebuffer with 4MB VRAM compared to the Wii's dedicated 2MB framebuffer.
Dreamwriter said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Wii framebuffer is big enough for 720p, with tearing (meaning, no double-buffering).
A 720p frame is 2.6MB so no it can't. Having double buffering doesn't mean it gets rid of tearing. To get rid of tearing you need v-sync.

Is it sad that I'm hyped for this conference? Nintendo has been way too quiet lately...and I want to know when all of the games I want are gonna be released. >>

MidnightScott said:
Is it sad that I'm hyped for this conference? Nintendo has been way too quiet lately...and I want to know when all of the games I want are gonna be released. >>

I think everyone that enjoys Nintendo's games is a bit hyped for this conference.

Rich!

Dreamwriter said:

Like I said in a previous thread - if 720p was possible, the homebrew community would have achieved it by now.

Whats been said about the 2MB buffer is correct.

Penguin

MidnightScott said:

When isn't Nintendo quiet?

I'm actually more concerned about their 2011 line-up if they are giving Mario/Metroid/Zelda within a year again, and no Smash or Kart on the horizons.

I hope we get some decent 3rd party announcements, but I know the train has long since left the station.

Firestorm

AceBandage said:
I think everyone that enjoys Nintendo's games is a bit hyped for this conference.
I think everyone who remember Nintendo's media summits from the last few years expect a few localizations and that's it. I see nothing to be hyped about aside from dates for games we already know are coming.

It's probably embargoed until all regions have had their conferences and then print media can get their stories done.

No one invites the press to something they're going to embargo until E3.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's probably embargoed until all regions have had their conferences and then print media can get their stories done.

No one invites the press to something they're going to embargo until E3.

Pretty sure Nintendo did it once before with something.

NotWii

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
He keeps saying it's embargoed, yet nowhere I've seen or read has said that. I don't know he thinks it will be.
Nintendo has done it before for past summits so everyone has time to write up stuff.
I don't think the embargo will last til E3, it's usually a week if I remember correctly

methodman said:
Damn, for almost 4 months straight? That seems impossible :lol

I don't think it was 4 months out, but I remember either 2006 or 2007 that they had a conference before E3, and embargoed it until the event.

Doorman

Putting an embargo on the information until E3 would make no sense at all, since at that point...why not just make those announcements at E3 and not bother with the conference whatsoever? If there is such an NDA, I suspect it would only last long enough for the magazine publishers to run their next issue, so they can actually treat it as a "reveal" at the same time as their online journalist counterparts.

As for what this conference might actually contain, I'd be perfectly satisfied with some localization announcements and dates (Picross 3-D, please!). They have plenty of games that aren't out yet in the US that they could talk about, between Metroid, Mario, Reginleiv, Sin and Punishment 2, Last Story, Xenoblade, etc etc, and that's just on the Wii side. If there is a Japanese conference too, we might get graced with a "stealth-release" game that'll come out two months after announcement. They did the same thing with Wario Land two years ago and ExciteBots last year.

So, no megatons, but some nice info and maybe a pleasant (but not earth-shattering) surprise.

Top Bottom