• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 Demo Impressions Thread - Steam, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live

JRW said:
I wonder how much a GTX 260 Superlclocked would help with the Physx performance in this game if I add it in? Currently running a single EVGA GTX 480 / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz.

I have the GTX 260 sitting here unused (was gonna sell it) but not sure if its worth using as a dedicated physx card.

It'd mean that enabling PhysX high had close to no performance penalty at all I'd imagine.

burgerdog

PS3 version is missing the awesome grass from the 360/PC version, seems to tear as much as the 360 version, too.

ftil3p.jpg

PS3
2vhtc75.jpg

2d2bvch.jpg

PS3
ibidk6.jpg

dejan

My benchmark results:

i7@3,6GHz, 480GTX SLI (PhysX setting on auto)
1920x1200, max settings, no AA, PhysX medium: 50fps
1920x1200, max settings, no AA, PhysX max: 42fps

i7@3,6GHz, 480GTX (2nd 480GTX as dedicated PhysX card)
1920x1200, max settings, no AA, PhysX medium: 56fps
1920x1200, max settings, no AA, PhysX max: 51fps

DennisK4 said:
Very interesting. Could you try running it with:

PhysX on High,
vsync off,
no AA,
no 3D vision

If you are actually getting 29 fps with High PhysX and 8xAA, I would be pretty happy with that performance if I were you.

Did a test run: everything max, no aa, no vsync, no 3d vision, physx at high.

32fps on average. 8xaa has virtually no impact on performance, that's really good.

1-D_FTW

Something is borked with my system. I'm not sure what the deal is. The link speculawyer posted did nothing. I'm running such a low utilization I'm actually dropping into movie mode at times on my card.

Not sure why I played normal the first time without physics. But I noticed I dropped into movie mode during Shatter yesterday and wrote it off. I crashed playing Crysis on Sunday and wrote it off to being overclocking sensitive on my CPU. The game was really pushing the system. And it seems to have been screwy since.

Whenever I change resolutions on my HDTV, I hear a popping static sound. And I just crashed twice trying to change resolutions in Dirt 2. For some reason 1080P is being outputted at 720P to my tv. Actually kind of regretting even buying a 460 for this current system:(.

dejan said:
My benchmark results:

Very useful benchmarks, thanks. I suspected this would probably be the case. You might as well force 4xmsaa with a framerate like that.

1-D_FTW said:
Something is borked with my system. I'm not sure what the deal is. The link speculawyer posted did nothing. I'm running such a low utilization I'm actually dropping into movie mode at times on my card.

Not sure why I played normal the first time without physics. But I noticed I dropped into movie mode during Shatter yesterday and wrote it off. I crashed playing Crysis on Sunday and wrote it off to being overclocking sensitive on my CPU. The game was really pushing the system. And it seems to have been screwy since.

Whenever I change resolutions on my HDTV, I hear a popping static sound. And I just crashed twice trying to change resolutions in Dirt 2. For some reason 1080P is being outputted at 720P to my tv. Actually kind of regretting even buying a 460 for this current system:(.

May be time for an RMA.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
whoa at the PS3/360 comparisons. Yikes.

Fun demo; not much staying time due to size. I can't wait for the full game.

Does anyone know how many cars will be in the full game?

JdFoX187

Banned
Played the demo on the 360, and the one on the PC and the difference is night and day. With Brain Stew's FPS limiter, I get constant 30 FPS, PhysX stuff all over the place and the graphics blow the consoles out of the water. Looks like I'm getting the superior, and cheaper, version.

heringer

PS3 version runs like shit. I honestly cannot believe how shitty the framerate is. It's definitely worse than GTAIV.

burgerdog said:
PS3 version is missing the awesome grass from the 360/PC version, seems to tear as much as the 360 version, too.

ftil3p.jpg

PS3
2vhtc75.jpg

2d2bvch.jpg

PS3
ibidk6.jpg

Yeah, 360 version it is. Shame it runs poorly too. I wish I had a high end PC.

I think if I saw this game in the flesh running at full I'd cry. It looks fabulous (relatively speaking) running at low resolution, without AA etc on my 4330! :lol

What's this about the 360 version running poorly?

MarshMellow96 said:
I think if I saw this game in the flesh running at full I'd cry. It looks fabulous (relatively speaking) running at low resolution, without AA etc on my 4330! :lol

Tha framemate is barely stable most of the time, I'd say it's around 20fps the whole time, also it tears quite a bit, still looks pretty good and better than GTA IV on the console.

MarshMellow96 said:

It seems it runs poorly on both consoles, with the ps3 version looking particularly bad.

I'm pretty surprised, I tried that physx fix posted on the steam forums and my FPS average with it on high went from around 18 to 37 with a gtx 460 (2048x1152). Now...how do I cap the frame rate?

Persona7

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:

I just finished playing both console versions and the 360 versions runs significantly better. It looks nicer as well. Both versions have tearing.

Framerate in the PS3 version is really janky at certain points.

Dennis

Banned
metareferential said:
Did a test run: everything max, no aa, no vsync, no 3d vision, physx at high.

32fps on average. 8xaa has virtually no impact on performance, that's really good.
Thanks.

dejan said:
My benchmark results:

For this too.

Empty

kinda game that makes me wish i had a top end pc to really appreciate the setting and world design. the game looks really rough on 360 in the open world, full of jaggies and with poor draw distance, whereas the pc screens i see posted here are stunning and seem to make the game sing. oh well.

i really like the game though. the attention to detail is very good; the general sense of place in how everything looks right, lots of little details in the world (playing with the radio, pillars reacting when you shoot at them), how it sounds, the way the characters animate, the feel of the weapons, the handling of the cars. it's effective at drawing you in, though the mobster talk was a bit over the top, though that might be my brain putting suburbia-city and that kind of architecture/design and expecting mad men or revolutionary road (yes, i know i'm off by 15 years) not mafia. scenario was short but effective, with very solid gunplay indeed. i liked the aggressive allied a.i and the fact that you weren't a bullet sponge, the ending escape through the fire was well done. miles better than most gunplay missions in gtaiv, i might add too.

Persona7

Banned
Zeliard said:
Is it possible to get a gun out of the mission? I've only gone through it once so I didn't mess much with it yet.
I don't think so because of how the mission progresses. When you leave the house at the start you have a pistol, though.

Dennis

Banned
Zeliard said:
Is it possible to get a gun out of the mission? I've only gone through it once so I didn't mess much with it yet.
When free-roaming you can get an awesome shotgun at the gun store by paying for it or....you know....brutally murdering the store owner.

mintylurb

Just tried the ps3 version. As suspected it doesn't have any AA. When you start the game inside your house, it has some awful tearing. Frankly, I haven't seen that much tearing since the FF13 comparison thread.

Once you're get out of your house, tearing is a lot less noticeable..unless you're right next to a building or go inside a building. Will try out the 360 version later.

So do I need to do some profile trickery to force AA with Nvidia drivers? Tried both Nhancer and the official stuff and didn't see much improvement even when going all-out, wouldn't drop by more than ~10FPS in the benchmark either.

Zeliard

Persona7 said:
I don't think so because of how the mission progresses. When you leave the house at the start you have a pistol, though.
DennisK4 said:
When free-roaming you can get an awesome shotgun at the gun store by paying for it or....you know....brutally murdering the store owner.

Cool, gonna go mess with it more.

If you've got the PC version, the link posted earlier that removes the 10 minute limit works and it's clean:

Saty said:
They already did: http://filebeam.com/16c96e23916bdc64067360d199dcc3c5
It works perfectly, put the file where the game .exe is and run the patch.

heringer

mintylurb said:
Just tried the ps3 version. As suspected it doesn't have any AA. When you start the game inside your house, it has some awful tearing. Frankly, I haven't seen that much tearing since the FF13 comparison thread.

Once you're get out of your house, tearing is a lot less noticeable..unless you're right next to a building or go inside a building. Will try out the 360 version later.
When you play, please tell me your thoughts on the framerate.

DennisK4 said:
I actually paid for it. :lol I like how the prices realistically reflect the time period.

Day 1 Purchase. I love how the guns handle. The feel real, like they have weight to them, sort of hard to describe. I LOVE the music. Best part is my wife loves music from the time period so that makes it even easier to purchase. :D I just love the whole period feel to the game.

Persona7 said:
I just finished playing both console versions and the 360 versions runs significantly better. It looks nicer as well. Both versions have tearing.

Framerate in the PS3 version is really janky at certain points.

PS3 version seemed worse in the house at the beginning, lots of screen tear there, but that was the worse, after that it seemed fine.

Pimpbaa

Damn, the game is a mess graphically on the PS3. Driving around the city looks awful with a near unplayable framerate. Indoors it looks better but the framerate is still very bad. Gonna give the 360 demo a try later.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, PC performance is very good, but there is a slight hitch to the framerate that occurs at all times. Any thoughts? It's so minor that most people won't notice it, but it is slightly annoying when it should be perfect.

The benchmark gives me an average framerate of 59.9 fps (locked at maximum of 60 fps). Happens whether or not D3D Overrider is enabled. Framerate is always perfect, but it just doesn't look completely smooth. Close, but not quite.

Other than that, though, it looks very nice.

Question for console demo players, does it perform and look roughly as good as GTA IV ?
No. I also tried the 360 version and, unfortunately, it does not look or run as well as GTAIV. It's much jaggier, has lots of tearing, and runs at a lower framerate. Plus, it lacks all of the nice post filtering effects that made GTAIV so delicious. An unfortunate step down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Meh. PS3 demo is wonky, but nothing that would dissuade me from getting it.

The aiming system is kinda fucked up. But I blame that on the slow speed than anything. And the tearing is kinda bad. But eh...

Can't really care about "DERP GRASS" so the 360 version isn't magically special for me.

Still, decent game. Gives me a GTA vibe that GTA4 didn't really do.

I'm surprised the demo had tits/nipples in it, meanwhile. ESRB getting lax on nudity? :lol

dark10x said:
Hmm, PC performance is very good, but there is a slight hitch to the framerate that occurs at all times. Any thoughts? It's so minor that most people won't notice it, but it is slightly annoying when it should be perfect.

The benchmark gives me an average framerate of 59.9 fps (locked at maximum of 60 fps). Happens whether or not D3D Overrider is enabled. Framerate is always perfect, but it just doesn't look completely smooth. Close, but not quite.

Other than that, though, it looks very nice.

No. I also tried the 360 version and, unfortunately, it does not look or run as well as GTAIV. It's much jaggier, has lots of tearing, and runs at a lower framerate. Plus, it lacks all of the nice post filtering effects that made GTAIV so delicious. An unfortunate step down.

Well the FPS limiter works, you could see if using that to cap it at 30fps or something gets rid of the hiccup.

So were those earlier impressions I heard in this thread about the PS3 version supposedly being better a bunch of crap? Because the impressions right now seem the exact opposite (and the foliage to boot).

SuperAwesome said:
Do you have a link to the program?

brain_stew said:
Framerate capping works via that old Java app, get it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/160642187/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

Unzip it to its own folder then open "FPS_LIMITER_GUI" point the app to Mafia 2, type 30 into the maximum fps field and then just click "create bat".

In order to run it with the capped framerate you'll have to actually launch the game from the bat file it creates. Launching it through Steam normally won't work.

MrPink93485 said:
So were those earlier impressions I heard in this thread about the PS3 version supposedly being better a bunch of crap? Because the impressions right now seem the exact opposite (and the foliage to boot).

Looks that way. Its always the same! :lol

Omiee

any other way i can get a download thing to get rid of the 10 min limit cuz the link i saw earlier i cant acces because my virus scanner say its not safe and wont let me connect to the website

dark10x said:

you have a 5870 too correct? I get 59.9 on the benchmark but during most of the indoor shoot outs it goes down to 45 ish also when things explode with lots of flames indoor it goes down to 30fps for a minute.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I'm playing Mafia 2 in my SD TV and there is no screen tearing at all, if there is, then it's minimal. This is the PS3 version btw, going to try and play it later in the HDTV in my house to see all the screen tearing.

Top Bottom