• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the hardest boss fight you've personally ever defeated?

lt519

Guacamelee!'s Javier Jaguar on Hard pre-Super Turbo Championship Edition nerf during a speed run in which I was severely under-leveled. That one took some real skill. At the point I beat him 3 miscues and I was done for. Different shields, dimension shifting mechanic, and having to dodge roll was intense. Basically this instructional youtube video is "get good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex332o96Khk

They had to nerf him because has too hard for most.

Edit: three other mentions in this thread, nice to see some Guacamelee! representation!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guacamelee!'s Javier Jaguar on Hard pre-Super Turbo Championship Edition nerf during a speed run in which I was severely under-leveled. That one took some real skill. At the point I beat him 3 miscues and I was done for. Different shields, dimension shifting mechanic, and having to dodge roll was intense. Basically this instructional youtube video is "get good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex332o96Khk

They had to nerf him because has too hard for most.

Yeah I didn't understand all the complaints about him I thought he was a really well done fight that showcased their combat engine fully took me 2 or 3 tries to down. Maybe I'm just numb to most things though because of the Ys games xD

lt519

Yeah I didn't understand all the complaints about him I thought he was a really well done fight that showcased their combat engine fully took me 2 or 3 tries to down. Maybe I'm just numb to most things though because of the Ys games xD

It was an exceptional fight that was really the culmination of all the abilities and techniques you've learned throughout the game. It wasn't cheap, it just really required good reaction time and a honed skill set. He even telegraphed his moves for you. The only reason it was hard for me was because I had skipped most the collectibles trying to get on the speed run leaderboard. This fight crushed my attempt though, would have been faster to collect more health first.

EyeCatchingName

Neo Member
Sephiroth in Kindom Hearts. One wrong move and you're pretty much dead. Sephiroth also gets a ton of help from the awful camera too.

Funny when I was younger this was my answer. Now it is Lingering Will from Kingdom Hearts II final mix. That fight on Critical Mode leaves no room for mistakes.

tumblr_n12a76kwUP1s3l5dvo3_r1_500.gif

Sure 'souls series' bosses are tough, but at least they aren't impervious to damage while teleporting around with 9 variations of instant death.

I did no damage Monsoon on Revengeance difficulty in MGR today and he was a real motherfucker. I kind of dread doing Armstrong now. Not the hardest boss fight ever but Monsoon with these parameters was pretty awful.

I see people mentioning Souls games. Over the three games, for me it's probably a tossup between Smough/Ornstein and the Maneaters.

LostAnkh

The first boss in Ninja Gaiden for Xbox.

hqdefault.jpg
I remember this asshole, and how cocky I was when I started this game:

AW YEAH I'M A BADASS NINJA TAKING THESE FOOLS DOWN.

OH, A GUY WITH NUNCHAKU? I'VE GOT A SWORD, AND YOU'VE GOT TO BE A WEAKLING SINCE YOU'RE THE FIRST BOSS.

I get my ass handed to me and some 7 year old beats him out of sheer luck. I lost my cockiness that day.

Charge_manus.jpg

Manus from Dark Souls. Took me about three hours of dying and retrying. I was shaking when I finally killed him.
I got so close every time I fought this bastard, and I was playing with a Black Knight Sword for some time. I had the most trouble with this guy than everyone else, even Ornstein and Smough, because he made that DLC worth the frustration. He should've been the final boss, because Gwyn was just disappointing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm sure someone posted this earlier, but this asshole, right here:

Hiruko from Shinobi PS2

Hiruko-sama.jpg

Was going to post this as well. Even beat him on Very Hard difficulty(I think there was another setting above that though). Definitely one of the most frustrating, yet satisfying fights I've ever played. The camera was certainly the real enemy though.

Mundus in DMC1 on DMD difficulty is up there for me as well. His 2nd and final forms particularly...more of an asshole than a fun fight though. Probably my least favorite moment of that entire run overall.

Goro from Mortal Kombat.....i think it was psychological for me though, i beat the guys in the higher tier than him very easily. Something about fighting a dude with 4 arms....

Fermbiz

Gold Member
This mother fucker right here!

http://youtu.be/oEYKAgVNS-8

I was still relatively new to Dark Souls game... It took me hours upon hours to defeat him. Such a small corridor with the boss and 2 other beasts attacking me. I would die as soon as I entered. Then I would have to make my way all the way back just to die again.

I nearly gave up on Dark Souls. I ended up removing all my armor so I can easily roll out of harms way.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Probably the Ethereal Queen in Star Ocean the Last Hope.
A dungeon with 20 floors, no saves, a boss every other floor, and her waiting at the top.

46Lc6c081.png

After doing it once on X360, about a year later I did it again on PS3 but it wasn't quite as hard since I already had a winning strategy.

Wiegraf from FF Tactics along with Ruby & Emerald Weapons in FF7 are runners up.

Yeah I don't know about the hardest, but what took me the most time was that final boss fight of MGS4
Ocelot / Liquid
on the highest difficulty. I remember getting insanely frustrated, don't remember much about the actual fight, but I remember that the time I ended up beating it felt like marathon length.

I'm going to go with Nightmare from Metroid Fusion. The way he's allowed to go through walls is complete BS. And then he slows you down with that screen-warping effect.

I can't even type about it without gritting my teeth.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't even beat the fucker on the GBA. I shelved the game. When the Game Boy Player came out and I was able to use a proper controller, I managed to squeak out a victory.

1500403-nightmare02.png

Weigraf/Velius.

Next to that probably the first time I fought a Tigrex in Monster Hunter. I think it was in MHFU on PSP. It seemed almost impossible. I think I stopped playing that game when the quest to kill 2 at once or some shit came up. lol

A lot of the challenge bosses in Rogue Legacy come to mind. Ponce de Freon is a fucking asshole. But I beat them all, I'd probably consider that the biggest challenge I've overcome in gaming. I only have two trophies left in the game; get all the equipment (5ish pieces missing), and beat the game dying less than 15 times without using the architect.

rjc571

Banned
The optional Etna boss fight in Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? That shit took me HOURS of constant continuous button mashing in order to kill her in 3 stuns. My thumbs still haven't fully recovered.

gatti-man

Pugging final fantasy 14 Titan fight. Took me a week of trying. Never wanted somethingn more or tried harder in video games.

bigace33

Henry Plummer, Call of Juarez Gunslinger. This guy made me delete the game off my computer, and I have no intent on going back. It's not so much that he is impossibl, it's just I can barely see him or his henchmen from the distance they put between us.The guy has accuracy with those dynamite sticks at nearly 100%. Such a horrible boss fight.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not exactly a boss battle, but if I had to pick a hard one, I would say protecting the
translator in God of War 2

hqdefault.jpg

Some of you already mentioned Emerald Weapon, but I figured that out. I got to the point where I didn't even need KotR to beat it.

I did the W Item glitch on Hero Drinks and megalixirs.

sturm.png

This guy in both Advance Wars 1 and 2 was such a pain in the ass. The first one isn't bad necessarily but you could get screwed depending on how you did in the past missions in the campaign (and I got the worst possible commanding officer combination in Sami/Grit as a result and got really stuck). The second time around he was just brutal but at least you could choose your commanding officers.

Please tell me how to beat Sturm. It's been years, but I still haven't beat this game. My end game characters ended up being Andy, Grit, and Sami.

Bluenoser

Final Fantasy XI - Maat (Pre-2005) - Shattering Stars (Lv 75 cap quest - Max level at the time)

People who played the game when this quest was released know how freaking hard it was. It took two weeks of farming key items, futile attempts, and numerous strategies to beat this guy, made even more notorious by being on Monk class.

My victory celebration included yelling at the top of my lungs and throwing my desk chair across the room in a fit of something between rage and euphoria.

God Damn Maat was hard as a Monk for me, even post 2005. My evasion/guard/h2h skills weren't capped, and I didn't have the right meds going in, and I got bent over by the old man.

Took me 5 tries to beat him.

Oddly, I beat him my first try on Red Mage back in the day. Aero III spam with chainspell, sleep, convert, Aero III spam, dead.

K' Dash

I've fought many hard bosses over The years, but none have given me a lasting impression as Miguel from Chrono Cross, I got my ass handed to me by that fucker so many times I almost quit.

Last boss on God Hand was probably my least favourite and hardest from memory. I had a bad save file with no consumables so I basically just had a single health bar and my own skill to beat him with. Got it done in the end but it was a very frustrating afternoon.

I had a little bit of trouble with a few recently e.g. Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia (smashed my Ps4 controller on the ground on this bitch and broke it but was able to snap it back together and have been using for months with no problems lol), Ludwig and Lawrence but they were always fun. I've also beaten Kalameet and Ancient Dragon etc in previous games and didn't really have much trouble with them. Bloodborne got me because i've always used a sword and shield build in previous souls games but none of these guys caused me as much trouble as God Hand final boss though.

P.S I've never summoned help or did any grinding in the souls games, nor do I look up tactics on the net (this applies to any game though as I like figuring things out for myself even if it means never playing the game again).

Edit: Oh yea just remembered Old King Allant who gave me an ass whooping several times just becase Demon's Souls was such a new experience when it came out.

Magwik

Banned
Aside from maybe Armstrong on like very hard in MGR, I haven't really encountered many boss fights in games at all. The one I recall being most proud of however, was when I was like six or seven years old, and defeated Darth Maul in some Star Wars: Episode 1 Xbox game after watching my older brother and his friends struggle for a while.

Mohasus

Wizpig (Diddy Kong Racing) was hard as fuck back in the day I think.

I don't recall having troubles with bosses recently.

edit: I just remembered, those 2 last guys from Vanquish on the hardest difficulty.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
The usual

Ornstein and Smough. The only Souls series boss (including Bloodborne) that I required help on. I have not beat him solo yet, nor do I plan to anytime soon.

Not counting Bloodborne DLC since I haven't played it yet

chocoedd

The freaking multiple bat boss in Ys II. I had to go back grinding couple levels up in order to beat them. And this was in Easy. I wonder how guys did it in Nightmare.

Mubbed

Not exactly a single boss battle but my answer is Chapter 15 in Ninja Gaiden Black on Very Hard and Master Ninja.

Ninja Gaiden Black had harder boss battles than Dark Souls imo.

It's just not fun after a while. That darn camera fighting against you.

Edit: lol literally 2 posts before me someone mentioned it.

Demi Fiend in Digital Devil Saga. The fight lasted near an hour and it was intense the entire way. I think I literally jumped up when he died.

Damn just remembered last boss on Viewtiful Joe 2 was fucked!! I dunno if that or God Hand last boss was worse but either one of those would be my hardest boss fight ever.

balohna

Fucking Gill from Street Fighter 3. Can't remember if he was retuned at all for Third Strike or if I was just better at him by then, because I mostly recall having issues in Second Impact.

Lingering Will from Kingdom Hearts II. I actually still haven't beaten it.

Dark Souls' Manus was a pushover in comparison. (I beat him on my first try, though...)

Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Solo.

When I need motivation I think of the lengths I went to beat this monster.

I haven't finished the game yet, but pretty much any large boss in Bloodborne can be beaten pretty easily by dodging toward it in response to most of its non-AOE attacks, Watchdog included.

JWNSY

Phtumerian Descendant was probably my least favourite in bloodborne.
I don't really remember who took me the most trouble in dark souls.

but I think the hardest boss I've beaten was Margaret in Persona 4 Golden
Though its hard to compare the difficulty of bosses from different genres.

Nealuigi

Neo Member
Marie from Skullgirls.
This monster in a maid skirt is awful to fight. And Since she is the end of a fighting game I have to defeat her with way different characters each time.
latest

balohna

Marie from Skullgirls.
This monster in a maid skirt is awful to fight. And Since she is the end of a fighting game I have to defeat her with way different characters each time.
latest

I had trouble with her until I found a pretty reliable way to cheese her (and as I type this I can't even recall it, so... shit).

I've basically learned that fighting game bosses are best handled by finding a cheap way to damage them and then exploiting it repeatedly until they die. Same goes for Souls bosses, tbh.

AU Tiger

Everyone that says O&S from DS1 need to play harder games xD they were not that tough!

I beat O&S on my first try. I get why they'd be hard, especially if you went in without Sunbro. Kalimeet was WAAAY harder for me personally mostly because I went at it solo... but for me, I'd have to say Lavos (the first time you encounter him) was the hardest boss fight in memory

and get the secret dev ending

Though Kefka was pretty raw when me and my brother fought him back in middle school.

Top Bottom