• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Branduil said:
Well I guess the 3DS could be the size of a Gamecube controller but I'm betting against it.

Can you only conceptualize something existing solely if it can fit the exact dimensions of something that already exists? Come on.

Branduil said:
Well I guess the 3DS could be the size of a Gamecube controller but I'm betting against it.
what-will-the-3ds-look-like-20100325000515988.jpg

*credit, to, gasp, IGN for once*

Branduil

Lijik said:
Can you only conceptualize something existing solely if it can fit the exact dimensions of something that already exists? Come on.
Can you make an argument for how a handheld the size of a DSi could accomodate dual analog controls comfortably?

Eteric Rice

Makes me wonder if Nintendo is getting a deal on these 3D screens (if that's what they're using). They might be able to keep the price under $200 just by making a LCD company's 3D tech mainstream.

I'm sure they could leverage the success of the DS for this. If I were them I'd be like.

Me: Well, we're very interested in your technology. But do you think we could get a break on the price? I mean, this is the sequel to the Nintendo DS, highest selling handheld ever made. Surely your 3D technology will become mainstream afterwards, potentially getting you into cameras, phones, mp3 players, and other industries that use LCD? Surely that could be worth a discount on your part?

Mrbob said:
The device is using 3D effect for depth. 3D won't pop out at you. You'll be looking into the screen and seeing the layers.

The technology should be fully capable of delivering "out of the screen" effects just like any other stereo3D technology. You're not looking at "layers" at all, its just a different way of delivering a different image to each eye like every other stereo3D technology.

Mrbob said:
I don't, but Dave Perry mentioned about the 3D being similar to the FUJI 3D camera. This camera doesn't project a 3D image off the screen. It adds depth inside the image making it 3D by basically letting you look into the scene you shot.

Sure it does, but that doesn't mean it can't deliver "out of the screen" effects. I fully expect that the primary use of the 3D technology will be to add depth to an image but that doesn't mean that will be all its capable of doing.

All stereo3D technologies work on the same principle of delivering a different perspective to each eye, how they differ is how they split up those two different images, that's all.

Mrbob

Haunted said:
Interesting!

What's the tech behind the Fuji 3D camera?

Here is a link to the page for the camera with more info on it:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw1/

Did you see the video with the DSIware game that is using the camera to simulate a 3d effect on screen? The tech isn't the same, but this should give you an idea of how 3D will work on the 3DS. But expect the 3DS to take this concept another step.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EmCeeGramr said:
I'm honestly surprised that we haven't gotten any quotations or reactions from almost anybody yet. Not Nintendo of America, not any developers or publishers, nothing. I looked and the only Japanese developer on Twitter who even mentioned it was Suda 51 saying "oh yeah I forgot, that 3DS news a little while ago. I found out what stereo 3D means."
I think they might all be afraid of what is and isn't covered by their NDAs.

GamesIndustry.biz got some reactions from developers and places like Blitz Games which have worked on 3D a lot. I also saw some notes about smaller scale developers (like Renegade Kid) being quite excited for it, but I got the impression that everyone who has responded so far are people who are unlikely to have actually seen the device, which leads me to my former conclusion.

Nirolak said:
I think they might all be afraid of what is and isn't covered by their NDAs.

GamesIndustry.biz got some reactions from developers and places like Blitz Games which have worked on 3D a lot. I also saw some notes about smaller scale developers (like Renegade Kid) being quite excited for it, but I got the impression that everyone who has responded so far is are people who are unlikely to have actually seen the device, which leads me to my former conclusion.

I knew NDAs were probably keeping some people from talking, but I expected the usual post-announcement blitz of developers saying "wow this is so amazing and innovative blah blah i'm never gonna actually make a game for this"

Lijik

Branduil said:
Can you make an argument for how a handheld the size of a DSi could accomodate dual analog controls comfortably?

Can you make an argument on why the 3DS has to be the exact size of either a DSi, a DS lite or a Gamecube controller?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EmCeeGramr said:
I knew NDAs were probably keeping some people from talking, but I expected the usual post-announcement blitz of developers saying "wow this is so amazing and innovative blah blah i'm never gonna actually make a game for this"
Nintendo's NDAs can be fucking terrifying sometimes. I'm sure they're trying to keep a lid on any information so they can have complete control over the hype and presentation of this, just like how they kept a lid on the Wii's controller.

Haunted

EmCeeGramr said:
A parallax barrier on the screen.
Sweet.

Mrbob said:
Here is a link to the page for the camera with more info on it:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw1/

Did you see the video with the DSIware game that is using the camera to simulate a 3d effect on screen? The tech isn't the same, but this should give you an idea of how 3D will work on the 3DS. But expect the 3DS to take this concept another step.
The parallax barrier stuff is fundamentally different from a camera + faux head tracking.

I don't know the particular limits on the parallax barrier tech, but nothing I've read implied that the 3D effect produced by it can't go both ways (depth into the screen, or coming out of the screen). It's all a matter of viewing angles on the images displayed to the left/right eye.

brain_stew said:
The technology should be fully capable of delivering "out of the screen" effects just like any other stereo3D technology. You're not looking at "layers" at all, its just a different way of delivering a different image to each eye like every other stereo3D technology.

Sure it does, but that doesn't mean it can't deliver "out of the screen" effects. I fully expect that the primary use of the 3D technology will be to add depth to an image but that doesn't mean that will be all its capable of doing.

All stereo3D technologies work on the same principle of delivering a different perspective to each eye, how they differ is how they split up those two different images, that's all.
Exactly.

Dave Perry... what's he been up to all these years. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet after Messiah and occasionally appear with a comment on this or that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cow Mengde said:
Dave Perry... what's he been up to all these years. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet after Messiah and occasionally appear with a comment on this or that.
He went to Acclaim to make f2p MMOs for a while, but now his biggest focus seems to be on Gaikai, a service like OnLive, but with a much better business model. (Sorry for the Pastebin link, as GI.biz requires creating a free account, which is unnecessarily annoying.)

Mrbob

Brain Stew I think you are arguing semantics. All I'm responding too are comments saying an image will be projected off the screen like a holograhpic image. You are technically right saying this is happening inside the LCD but this is splitting hairs at this point. If we are talking about a similarity to the Fuji 3D camera it is a 3D effect that is viewed like you are looking into something versus having it pop out at you. All the 3D is contained within the screen.

brain_stew said:
The technology should be fully capable of delivering "out of the screen" effects just like any other stereo3D technology.

Correct, the only downside is seeing things getting clipped against the screen edge even when they're meant to be in front of the screen, so some games might use a depth only kind of view, it will be up to the developers.

Cow Mengde said:
He made Enter the Matrix and The Matrix: Path of Neo.

RoboPlato said:
Nintendo's NDAs can be fucking terrifying sometimes. I'm sure they're trying to keep a lid on any information so they can have complete control over the hype and presentation of this, just like how they kept a lid on the Wii's controller.
At times, I wonder exactly how much they reveal to third parties when it comes to their highly classified info. It's almost crazy how much control they seem to have over such things, when others are a complete wreck.

Doorman

Lijik said:
Can you make an argument on why the 3DS has to be the exact size of either a DSi, a DS lite or a Gamecube controller?
Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Make the thing too big and it ceases to be useful as a handheld device. Make it too small and you wouldn't be able to accommodate the buttons and features that the system needs (between the facts we have already and inferences that can be made based on the fact that it's compatible with old DS games). I don't doubt that they can change up the way the system looks compared to the DS line, but knowing that it can still play DS software, what other practical ways can you think of to design the thing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
abstract alien said:
At times, I wonder exactly how much they reveal to third parties when it comes to their highly classified info. It's almost crazy how much control they seem to have over such things, when others are a complete wreck.
I get the impression they don't tend to reveal that much at all. We actually had quite a few developers complaining that the Wii Motion Plus wasn't revealed to them before it got announced at E3, and thus they couldn't make games in time for it's launch.

The way Nintendo develops games also helps a lot with secrecy. A lot of leaks come from outsourcing houses like sound production studios and art asset creation firms, and since Nintendo makes tons of stuff all in house, that helps keep a good lid on that. Since they're almost entirely in Japan as well, there aren't nearly as many press places that actively look to leak their details, outside of the Nikkei which leaks half of their major announcements.

I mean, Southpeak also has a fantastic record of not leaking announcements for similar reasons, but we just don't think about it as much.

Nintendo has been getting worse about rumor leaking as they grow though. We have had this device rumored for months, as well as a rumor that they would announce it at GDC, which was only about a week off of reality.

Mrbob said:
Actually, we have an idea. Unless Dave Perry is making things up!

It's not very likely that someone working on streaming games on demand would have any inside info on Nintendo's next hardware, so in my opinion the latter is certain.

Haunted

HAL_Laboratory said:
Has Dave Perry ever actually seen or used the 3DS? He could just be making an assumption.
Well, it's the same assumption we have been making. I'd be very surprised if it turns out to not use parallax barrier tech.

abstract alien said:

Yeah thats why third party games on Wii sucked in the beginning. Nintendo had at least a 6 month head start on making them. Now just a mere 4 years later, 3rd parties are finally starting to get to where Nintendo was in year 1 of the Wii's cycle

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be true 3D and possibly use parallex barrier tech, but we shouldn't take Dave Perry's tweet as gospel. Same goes for the other rumors unless they are from extremely reliable sources or Nintendo themselves.

Spiegel

HAL_Laboratory said:
Has Dave Perry ever actually seen or used the 3DS? He could just be making an assumption.

He confirmed the pspgo rumors back in February last year so I wouldn't be surprised if he has heard something about the 3DS.

Haunted said:
Well, it's the same assumption we have been making. I'd be very surprised if it turns out to not use parallax barrier tech.

Its literally the only currently available technology that fits Nintendo's description and specification (i.e. it doesn't require glasses, the 3D can be turned off, its proven technology, it can be mass produced and is available cheaply from Nintendo's primary LCD supplier). It was also mentioned in the Nikkei article, so I'd say that its about a 90% possibility that the 3DS will be using a parallax barrier.

Lijik

Doorman said:
Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Make the thing too big and it ceases to be useful as a handheld device. Make it too small and you wouldn't be able to accommodate the buttons and features that the system needs (between the facts we have already and inferences that can be made based on the fact that it's compatible with old DS games). I don't doubt that they can change up the way the system looks compared to the DS line, but knowing that it can still play DS software, what other practical ways can you think of to design the thing?

Have the start and select buttons horizontally in line with each other instead of vertically, or make the system just big enough to include the power, start, and select buttons all under the screen akin to the PSP. Probably also moving the Dpad and buttons up a bit to allow for the analog sticks.
Theres more than one way to gripping the DSi in a comfortable manner, and adding dual sticks only eliminates one that I personally do not find all that comfortable to begin with.

Deku

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its literally the only currently available technology that fits Nintendo's description and specification (i.e. it doesn't require glasses, the 3D can be turned off, its proven technology, it can be mass produced and is available cheaply from Nintendo's primary LCD supplier). It was also mentioned in the Nikkei article, so I'd say that its about a 90% possibility that the 3DS will be using a parallax barrier.

that seems to be the logical conclusion, but even Eurogamer is going with the head tracking bullshit, even going so far as equivocating.

I suppose this is what happens in the absence of information. But it's pretty sad.

Deku said:
that seems to be the logical conclusion, but even Eurogamer is going with the head tracking bullshit, even going so far as equivocating.

I suppose this is what happens in the absence of information. But it's pretty sad.

If by Eurogamer you mean the DF blog then that article was updated and they're now firmly in the parallax barrier camp.

Branduil

Lijik said:
Have the start and select buttons horizontally in line with each other instead of vertically, or make the system just big enough to include the power, start, and select buttons all under the screen akin to the PSP. Probably also moving the Dpad and buttons up a bit to allow for the analog sticks.
Theres more than one way to gripping the DSi in a comfortable manner, and adding dual sticks only eliminates one that I personally do not find all that comfortable to begin with.
That doesn't mean other people will find it comfortable. I simply don't see a way to add dual analogs without interfering with the comfort and convenience of the touchscreen capabilities. That and the fact that Nintendo has been trying to get away from the dual analog design for 6 years makes it extremely unlikely to me that they will go back to that design.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Mr.Wuggles said:
man, i just got another idea. nintendo has the rights to the sanity effects from Eternal Darkness, right? if what we've heard about the 3DS is true, it would be the absolute perfect system for a game with sanity effects. i really hope the 3DS is actually the starting point of legitimate portable horror games. all the features it supposedly has makes it perfect for immersive games.

As cool as that sounds, probably going to happen unless it was a remake.

But a new Eternal Darkness with the Vitality Sensor.... :D

Why are people insisting on a dual analog setup? There is no way the 3DS will have dual analog.

No way.

This is 2011 we're talking about folks. Control in games is evolving to 3D. Even visuals are advancing to 3D. I would be really surprised if any consoles use dual analog on a single controller in the next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom