• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill arcade? Tekken 6 to be shown tomorrow?

jett

D-Member
Dante said:
I think the problem is Next Gen fighters have been somewhat of a dissapointment so far. I mean if you asked me prior to this gen what genre will look the most jaw dropping I'd have said fighting games, and honestly the big 3, while competant have been somewhat disspointing thus far graphically. :(

The problem with next-gen fighters is that Electonirc ****ing Arts has the best looking one. I think it's more of a japanese devs failing at next-gen kind of thing.

Vrolokus

Banned
Dante said:
I think the problem is Next Gen figters have been somewhat of a dissapointment so far. I mean if you asked me prior to this gen what genre will look the most jaw dropping I'd have said fighting games, and honestly the big 3 while competant have been somewhat disspointing thus far graphically. :(

I 100% hear where you're coming from - I expected next-gen fighters to look a lot more impressive too (and I still think they will, once Japan gets a better handle on next-gen hardware).

I guess what I'm saying is: if you compare Tekken 6's shots to what we seem to believe is possible (whether that's reasonable or not), then yes, they are a bit disappointing - but by that standard, so are DOA4 and VF5.

If instead you compare these shots to what actually exists out there, they look about as I'd expect.

Love it and cant wait for it to hit.
I still think that if instead of "PS3" on that sign it said "PS3 and 360" the reactions would be different.
I look forward to hearing about extra features on the home version.

RaijinFY

OokieSpookie said:
Love it and cant wait for it to hit.
I still think that if instead of "PS3" on that sign it said "PS3 and 360" the reactions would be different.

Yes you would have heard it's even more shitty.

AAK

MarkMan said:
The shotgun move Bryan has seems to be a move in the game, not a win pose or anything like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mby6w5qCKVk

zzzz.gif

T4JinBroken Bryan Confirmed!

Dante

Hunter D said:
DOA4 and VF 5>T6 graphically. What the hell is wrong with namco.

Dante, I don't work in the industry. It just seems to me that you also don't work in it. Couple of times I've seen you ask people questions about simple things that I would think devs would know.

First:

If I was gonna lie about my profession I would pick something better then game animation. Low pay, long hours, etc.....

Second:

As an animator i pretty much just handle my shots, and submit them to Perforce and never see them again unless they are bugged. The art team rarely talks to the programmers at any job I've been to.

Third:

If your referring to when i asked about decorators, I still stand by that. I've never ever heard that term used before.

Fourth:

If you don't beleive me that cool too, like I said I don't think there's anything glamorous or special about this s*** sometime I just wish I could work normal hours, and have weekends off.

Actually after I typed this, I think this should be kept to PM. Sorry for getting OT.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Vrolokus said:
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good? I mean, it already looks about on par with the other next-gen fighters we've seen (VF5 and DOA4). given that it's probably still a ways out, I'm sure it will look fine.
I'm with you. But given the new HD shots I think it's gonna have a longer road to go than I initially thought. But I'm with you. :)

Vrolokus

Banned
OokieSpookie said:

Yep - Sony fans would be blaming the visuals on the game being developed on the 360 rather than taking advantage of the awesome power of the Cell.

(I keed.)

Not really.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dante said:
First:

If I was gonna lie about my profession I would pick something better then game animation. Low pay, long hours, etc.....

Second:

As an animator i pretty much just handle my shots, and submit them to Perforce and never see them again unless they are bugged. The art team rarely talks to the programmers at any job I've been to.

Third:

If your referring to when i asked about decorators, I still stand by that. I've never ever heard that term used before.

Fourth:

If you don't beleive me that cool too, like I said I don't think there's anything glamorous or special about this s*** sometime I just wish I could work normal hours, and have weekends off.

Actually after I typed this, I think this should be kept to PM. Sorry for getting OT.
Sounds to me like you're just at the wrong company. :(

Dante said:
sooooo lemme get this straight, with Halo we can't judge on alpha build because they are going to completly overhaul all the graphics.

But T6 where we've seen 4 fighters and 2 whole stages we can assume nothing is going to improve, and it's not early?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this :)

has Namco ever really improved that much over their first few screens in any game?

Vrolokus

Banned
Yes, I hope Namco doesn't even attempt Soul Calibur 4 until they get their **** together. Those games have always been top of the line visually, and I will rampage if I get anything less than a 100% gorgeously hi-def ass on Ivy.

LJ11

As a Tekken fan I :'(

This game has always pushed graphics (Most Namco fighters have), and while it may be in its early stages, I'm disappointed nonetheless. Hopefully it "spruces" up a bit before it hits arcades.

Doesn't look too good to me; looks like Tekken 5 but more bland. I will pick it up when it is released for sure though since I love Tekken. :p

I still prefer Tekken 3's stages to Tekken 5's (never really played Tekken 4). I want more colour and contrast in my stages (something like Lei's stage in Tekken 3).

Dante

XiaNaphryz said:
Sounds to me like you're just at the wrong company. :(

I semi agree with you, but every job I've had, and there have been a lot. I usually deal with the lead, be it an art director/animation director who tends to act as a liason (sp) to the programmers.

To be brutally honest. I prefer to just focus on my animation, acting choices, etc... and have the leads deal with all the other bullshit.

not all studios operate the same, even within the same studio, different teams take different approaches in development

I'm an animator too for one of the big western studios, and teams don't all work the same.

some games (especially licenses) may let things slip through with a slack approval process.

some other games may get more attention and critiqued by the AD requesting improvements.

all relavent to the schcedual and type of game of coarse

some games may not even have an animation Art Directior because the size is smaller and some others may

LJ11

Kabuki Waq said:
has Namco ever really improved that much over their first few screens in any game?

IIRC Tekken Tag Japanese release was greatly improved for the US PS2 launch.

jett

D-Member
LJ11: Only thing it got was a slight resolution increase resulting in a less-jagged appearence. T6 would need...more than that, suffice to say.

TheIkariWarrior said:
I hope all of Namco's top graphics peeple are working on Ace Combat 6 (and Soul Caliber 4).

There is no hope.

No6

Vrolokus said:
I guess what I'm saying is: if you compare Tekken 6's shots to what we seem to believe is possible (whether that's reasonable or not), then yes, they are a bit disappointing - but by that standard, so are DOA4 and VF5.
Except DOA4 came out in 2005.

LJ11

jett said:
LJ11: Only thing it got was a slight resolution increase resulting in a less-jagged appearence. T6 would need...more than that, suffice to say.

There is no hope.

I remember playing TT on my friends Japanes PS2 around the system's launch, and it was a jaggy shimmering mess, most of which was fixed for the US release. You're right it wasn't drastically changed, but it made a significant difference IMO.

I'm hoping for anything at this point. Tekken 6 looks like DR HD+.

Dante

jett said:
The problem with next-gen fighters is that Electonirc ****ing Arts has the best looking one. I think it's more of a japanese devs failing at next-gen kind of thing.

Yeah, I think if anybody called that in 2005 they'd have been laughed off the board.

LJ11 said:
IIRC Tekken Tag Japanese release was greatly improved for the US PS2 launch.

heh yeah, but that's not what was being discussed. what is being suggested by some is that Tekken 6 graphics will be somehow massively overhauled by the time it gets released, so that it looks current-generation instead of high-res last-gen.

What Namco did for PS2's Tekken Tag release in the U.S. was fix bugs, add deflicker and full-screen anti-aliasing, not actually overhaul the graphics / graphics engine. the Japanese and U.S. versions of PS2 Tekken Tag are on the same level, the U.S. version just doesn't have teh jaggies that the Japanese version does.

LJ11 said:
Tekken 6 looks like DR HD+.

I agree, Tekken 6 looks like it's a Tekken 5: DR high definition+ ...oh wait, wasn't such a thing just released for PS3 :lol we gotta compare T6 to the PS3 version of T5 DR.

Those shots look upscaled, but still this needs a lot of work.

The characters themselves seem to have more polygonal detail than VF5's, but shading, lighting, background textures (and details) are in need of some serious improvements. It is hurting the look of the game badly. Animation could be far better too.

Also, what's going on with her right arm in this pic?

aou_bn19.jpg

They shouldn't have shown it in such an early stage IMO.

EDIT: Ok, fine, seems part of the new hit effects. I don't like it, but should look fine in motion.

they need to send her back to the ringing department, Leo's arm isn't coreclty weighted.. causing that the twisting effect in the arm

there is nothing last gen or next gen about fixing the weighting of a character.. it's just standard to correctly rig and weight your characters

Namco should not have shown that pic

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yikes, the pics over at Impress Watch are not at all impressive. It really looks like an XBOX game or something. :( VF5 completely destroys this visually.

Heck, looking back at that awful Kakuto Chojin game...I'd say the visuals there were more impressive in certain aspects. :\

karasu

Ok wait, this game is hideous. Leo has the worst character design ever. At least as far as fighting games are concerned. Japanese fighting games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
karasu said:
Ok wait, this game is hideous. Leo has the worst character design ever. At least as far as fighting games are concerned. Japanese fighting games.
Looks like he stepped out of a Bloody Roar game to me...

Dante

gutter_trash said:
they need to send her back to the ringing department, Leo's arm isn't coreclty weighted.. causing that the twisting effect in the arm

there is nothing last gen or next gen about fixing the weighting of a character.. it's just standard to correctly rig and weight your characters

Namco should not have shown that pic

I really don't think that's a rigging/skinning issue.

Watch the vid again, there a ripple distortion effect that happens on the hits.

You can see the BG distorting also in that pic.

Bad_Boy said:
We have seen games go from shit to THE SHIT in less time, I don't see your point.

The point is this. in most game development cycles, the basic look and structure of the game should be in place by this time. I assume this is an alpha build. When in 2007 is this coming out? Sept? Even then, I think the main graphics (the character models themselves I'm talking) will not change that much. I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong. Quote this post when this game hits arcades. I'll eat crow if I must for the good of tekken :D

TheJollyCorner said:
:lol why the **** is everyone calling Leo "she/her"? :lol
To be honest, s/he seems to have hips and everything in that pic. But you never know with a japanese game. :)

If it's not a woman, then the proportions are all wrong.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God, the Engrish is just...

SILENT HILL: DISASTROUS NIGHTMARE HERE HAUNT YOU RUN NOOOO

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
sebmarine said:
Poor Tekken fans. :(

I'm not dissapointed at all. I know the game isn't even NEAR completion.

I don't care about graphics as much either, because honestly, when has a fighting game pushed the envelope on graphics...? In recent memory at least...

Tekken 6, can't wait. :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hatorade said:
I wonder where all these PS3 graphic whores were last gen when the DC manage to stomp it with just a vga box in terms of visual output. Now you get some fixed rate crappy lcds with crappy blacks and suddenly graphics mean something to you. Saying welcome to the club would suffice at this point, but the way you guys whine about graphics now and used the same crap Wii players have a habit of doing is quite funny to see the tables turn.
Sucks to be you BTW I spent less than 500$ on my monitor and calibration setup and it certainly rapes the crap out of yours, Sony GDM-FW900 FTW. I know it sounds hateful but live with it till the mainstream catches up to Hi Resolution developers will get away with this crap.
Sega lost

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dante said:
sooooo lemme get this straight, with Halo we can't judge on alpha build because they are going to completly overhaul all the graphics.

But T6 where we've seen 4 fighters and 2 whole stages we can assume nothing is going to improve, and it's not early?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this :)
Halo 3 leaked pix - nuh uh
Tekken 6 released pix - uh huh

WasabiKing said:
You trying to incite some bannings, my man?
Who, me?

Pimpwerx

For an end of 2007 title, it's early to be showing it. But that's fine, as long as they show improvements with each round of screens. It's a PS3 arcade board (System ???) so memory isn't an issue. It should be able to pull off something amazing, but we'll see. They look like they'll have clothing animations, and it seems they're blending animations better in this one too. Otherwise, meh. The screens show it, and the crappy video shows it. Still too early. I'd like to see it once they demonstrate some brighter stages. The lighting isn't too inspiring right now. Maybe it'll look better on a bright stage where you can appreciate the details in the characters. They look like they might have a great deal of detail in them, but I can't see shit with the choice of light conditions so far. PEACE.

Mooreberg

jett said:

This is the impression I'm starting to get. Outside of FFXIII and MGS4 (which probably have huge budgets) most Japanese developed games just aren't looking that good. Or maybe it's because the local market was overtaken by atrocious looking non-games. Who knows.

konami42.jpg

god almighty :lol

Top Bottom