• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

DrMungo

I have a semi-bricked 40G PS3 no longer under warranty. It was broken after a firmware download (2.5 or 2.52 i think).

It only plays stuff off the hard drive like PSN games and demos. It does NOT recognize any disc media (CDs, DVDs, BluRay game). At first I thought it was a defect in the BluRay disc, but a new BR drive was put in and it did the same thing - essentially the disc loads and the icon spins in the upper right corner continuously. There's no disc error message - the machine just doesn't even recognize the disc after it loads.

Interestingly, I found a way to get the system menu (in firmware after 2.5 when you hold the power button and wait for the 2 beeps) and it always states that the file system is corrupt. No matter how many times I restored it, it is still saying it is corrupt.

However, I am reluctant about replacing the harddrive because if the problem is in firmware, that's not in the hard drive. Also if the new hard drive fails to format properly, the old one doesn't work any more either and I will truly end up with a bricked system.

Does GAF have any other ideas before I send Sony $150?.

Also I have to add that it's pretty messed up that Sony and MS can continue to fleece customers. Much of these problems are the result of their faulty products.

soco

DrMungo said:
I have a semi-bricked 40G PS3 no longer under warranty. It was broken after a firmware download (2.5 or 2.52 i think).

Also I have to add that it's pretty messed up that Sony and MS can continue to fleece customers. Much of these problems are the result of their faulty products.

if you updated recently to that firmware, which judging by your post isn't the case, you can call and tell them that after you updated it started doing this. generally, when you blame it on a firmware update they will fix it for free. you might have to be pretty adamant about how it worked fine, and then immediately after the update it stopped working.

well with MS it's not exactly fleecing since they're eating the cost of all of those repairs, at least if their RROD or firmware related. anything else and you just have to towel it until it does RROD ;)

snacknuts

we all knew her
My BR drive finally kicked the bucket last night. Still plays DVDs just fine, but refuses to recognize any games or movies that are on BR. Called and placed my order for service. I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get my 60GB back, correct?

bro1

Banned
zesty said:
My BR drive finally kicked the bucket last night. Still plays DVDs just fine, but refuses to recognize any games or movies that are on BR. Called and placed my order for service. I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get my 60GB back, correct?

No, you will get a 60 gb back. You may want sell your replacement system on ebay and buy a new one from Costco or Sams Club. Free life time warranty

yakulto

Neo Member
Well, my Japanese launch PS3 finally gave up the ghost last night.

Went to switch it on about 24hrs after I last used it and it seems to start to switch on, the light goes yellow, then it beeps and flashes the red one at you.

Tried vacuuming the vents, plugging it in directly to the wall etc but to no avail. So went on the Japanese PS support site and followed their instructions to return it to the "Playstation Clinic" for repairs.

We just had to fill out the after-service returns form that came with the instructions in the box, remove the hard drive, box it up in it's original packaging, wrap it and send it to them.

So I've arranged for a courier to pick it up tonight, and it seems Sony will pay for the postage as they said to select a "pay on delivery" service, so nice!

It also seems that in Japan, they repair your unit and not just send you a refurb, so I'm expecting to pay between 6000-10,000 yen for the repair (there's a price list on their site) and then I'll get it back, pop back in the HD and then it'll be back to normal.

Given Japanese efficiency, along with their legendary speedy "takubin"/courier services, and the fact that the "PS clinic" is just outside Tokyo where I live, I'm expecting it back within the week.

I'll keep you posted.

____

Okay, so I just called Sony. After a short hold, I was told that if they determine the system is broken, they will replace it. Not fix it, but replace it. So about my HDD contents, since I wasn't able to back them up due to my PS3 not turning on at all....guess that's gone.

What really happened, is that I have a 60GB model, with a 160GB HDD installed.

I was told that I have to put my original 60GB HDD back in the system before I send it in...

Also, she told me that since the fan doesn't work, they'd have to 'replace' my system (at a charge of course), but not going to get MY system back. I asked her if I'd get the same model back, and she replied "Yes, we match your system model for model."

I've read online that they don't have anymore 60GB models, so hopefully she's not blowing smoke up my ass. I really don't want to have any extended problems with this issue.

Side question: Does the replacement PS3 come with any kind of warranty? I forgot to ask.

Enojado

____ said:
Okay, so I just called Sony. After a short hold, I was told that if they determine the system is broken, they will replace it. Not fix it, but replace it. So about my HDD contents, since I wasn't able to back them up due to my PS3 not turning on at all....guess that's gone.

What really happened, is that I have a 60GB model, with a 160GB HDD installed.

I was told that I have to put my original 60GB HDD back in the system before I send it in...

Also, she told me that since the fan doesn't work, they'd have to 'replace' my system (at a charge of course), but not going to get MY system back. I asked her if I'd get the same model back, and she replied "Yes, we match your system model for model."

I've read online that they don't have anymore 60GB models, so hopefully she's not blowing smoke up my ass. I really don't want to have any extended problems with this issue.

Side question: Does the replacement PS3 come with any kind of warranty? I forgot to ask.

I believe it's only a 90 day warranty from date of replacement.

____

Enojado said:
I believe it's only a 90 day warranty from date of replacement.

Oh okay cool.

I'm actually calling them back because I forgot to inquire about my Resistance 2 disc thats stuck inside.

____

Okay, they told me they'll send my disc via USPS, but I was also told (which I knew but had forgotten), that all my 160GB HDD data will be erased because even though I can take it out now, when I receive my refurb, I'm going to have to re-format it to the 160GB HDD.

That really hurts. Not counting the endless PSN downloads I have/had.....it's the movies, pics, music, vids and everything that I'm more concerned with. There were some pics on my PS3 that I have nowhere else. But I guess that's my fault. I had been planning to back them all up for about 6 months now, but always procrastinated. :lol

What a kick in the ass...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
____ said:
Okay, they told me they'll send my disc via USPS, but I was also told (which I knew but had forgotten), that all my 160GB HDD data will be erased because even though I can take it out now, when I receive my refurb, I'm going to have to re-format it to the 160GB HDD.

That really hurts. Not counting the endless PSN downloads I have/had.....it's the movies, pics, music, vids and everything that I'm more concerned with. There were some pics on my PS3 that I have nowhere else. But I guess that's my fault. I had been planning to back them all up for about 6 months now, but always procrastinated. :lol

So, you sent the system in before removing the 160GB HDD you installed?

Thrakier

I hear a strange humming noise coming from the system when it's in idle mode with a disc inserted. It's definitly from the disc spinning because if I take the disc out it's gone. Never heard that sound before. Is it about to die? :(

I got the same problem as the OP did originally.

I'm playing Resistance 2 co-op online. In the middle of a game, then suddenly... PS3 just shuts off. No red light, nothing. Switched the outlet, switched the cord, nothing.

Here's the backstory:

I got a 60 gig launch PS3. It always ran perfectly, and I treated it great. When I got GTA4, it froze on me. It was the apparent widespread bug that they replaced for me for free. I had time to back up my save games and they didn't charge me, so I was not angry. What makes me angry now though, is the replacement I got was only covered for 3 months.

The PS3 I sent in, other than not playing GTA4, was perfect. It didn't have a scratch on it, it was never put in a poorly ventilated spot. What I got back was a scratched up junky system that froze semi regularly. I really don't see why I should have to pay $150 bucks, in my mind, it's all their fault. They replaced my good system with a lemon, and my good system was screwed up because of their bug. They should be apologizing to me for me losing my save files not charging me.

I've got 25 PS3 games, 80 or so PS1-2 games. 90 blu-ray movies and at least 20 PSN games. I'm a customer they've profited off of. Right now I'm just so pissed off I don't know if I even want to pay $150 for a replacement. What I get back will only be covered for 3 months, and I have no guarantee it'll be any better than this one. Yeah, my Xbox 360 might break, but at least I'm covered for 3 years. This is a system here I paid $600 on and spend way more on for games and movies. I got one for my parents as a blu-ray player. I defended it from a lot of people who love to pile on hate for no real reason, but as an actual electronics piece it lost my trust, as a company Sony just lost mine.

Sort of going over my options. Maybe I'll sell off my games and movies and just get a new PC. Maybe I'll replace it, sell off all of my games, just rent from now on and when it breaks again, throw it in the trash. Maybe I'll just sell all my PS3 games, buy a PS2 and play those only. All I know is that if they just fixed my damn PS3, Sony would get a lot more than $150 out of me, and a happy customer instead of a pissed off ex customer who will probably never buy another Sony product again.

I guess the real annoying thing being that since I have a model that's no longer being built, I'm screwed by a system not set up well for that. They can only replace it with a system that's broken down and been replaced, which means it'll inevitably break down again. So they're charging me $150 to pretty much rent their PS3. If they were offering me a brand new one, I'd be alright because I could put as much trust in it as I do a standard PS3... or if they wouldn't charge me, I could just call it an inconvenience. But the combination of the two is pretty much unacceptable.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
anyone with DRE's ever try a blu ray lens cleaner? I doubt they work that great b/c they just blow air on the lens, but worth a shot.

When i got DRE's i flushed the thing with canned air and ran a DVD all day to keep an airflow going, then when i got MGS4 to read, left that spin all day.

I'm happy to report it has worked perfectly fine since (even after update to 2.53). I think the lens got dirty from me only playing HDD games and never using disc games for a couple months..

It's a good idea to keep your ps3 wamed up it seems, mine quit working from lack of use..
I'll turn it on and load a game and just let that splash screen run for a while to keep it in shape now.......

My PS3 Blu Ray drive died, out of warranty. I ended up buying a lense online for 60 bucks and replaced it myself. It was pretty easy, found a tutorial online and it was easy as pie. I played HDD games until the drive arrived in the mail(3 days) and installed in 30 minutes.

gluv65 said:
My PS3 Blu Ray drive died, out of warranty. I ended up buying a lense online for 60 bucks and replaced it myself. It was pretty easy, found a tutorial online and it was easy as pie. I played HDD games until the drive arrived in the mail(3 days) and installed in 30 minutes.

nice, do you have a link to that tutorial just in case?

My PS3 died a day before Thanksgiving... my cousin was playing the GT5 P demo and went to quit the game and everything jsut froze up, had to turn the system off manually (nothing else would work). When I turned it back on I got nothing... did a litlte trouble shooting and I got it to give me a screen...

IMGP0304.jpg

Now the best it will do is turn on for a min tops before freezing up with screen artifacts, I guess the GPU is dead. I imported this system from Japan, does anyone here have any experience with SCEA repairing PS3s from other countries? Also I have a 60GB system, will I get this same system back or will they try to offer me a weaker replacement? How long does it take for it to come back? Are there other places that fix PS3s?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
slaughter--

If thats your ps3 on the bottm left of that picture with dust and a wii on top of it, it looks quite crowded in that space....

Try moving it to a more open space, cleaning it off (vacuuming the vents too), unplug/reset all cables, and see if that helps at all. You also might try accessing the PS3 secret menu thingie and try some of those options.

It got enough air, there was plenty of room on both sides, and even more room in the back...

IMG_0743.jpg

Also it didn't seem like there was a lot of dust in any of the vents. I've completely unhooekd it and reconnected it, and I also did a system recovery and reformatted the hard drive. It still freezes up after being on for less than a minute with dots on the screen, it has to be the video card...

ugh. looks like I've got a 80gb (motorstorm variant with BC) PS3 with a dead lens. Locked up in the middle of playing iron man blu-ray and now won't read anything. no cds, dvds, ps2 games OR blu-ray discs.

I guess my only option is to call sony and shell out $160 for the repair?

deadatom

Banned
zesty said:

my friend had a similar problem with his 60gig unit... he opened it up and changed the bluray diode and it works perfect. but thats him and hes good with electronics

deadatom

Banned
Thrakier said:
I hear a strange humming noise coming from the system when it's in idle mode with a disc inserted. It's definitly from the disc spinning because if I take the disc out it's gone. Never heard that sound before. Is it about to die? :(

maybe a bug is in there attacking the disc?

anyone know a good tutorial for cleaning the ps3? like where to blow dust in. which vacume is just *perfect* for sucking the slots on the ps3 and such? which slots to suck? ect.

Hinomura

60gb pal launch system, out of warranty.

Bluray drive doesn't recognize any disk inserted anymore.

PS3 was placed on a table, so excellent ventilation and no heat issues in a no smoking house. Mostly used for playing media via usb hard disk/pen drive and bluray about a couple hours per day (it hanged while playing a bluray).

Was playing Fallout 3 (So good) last night and the system suddenly shut itself down and began blinking the power light red. Looked on the website and it said to check the vents and sure enough my intake vents had gotten clogged. I had been playing Fallout 3 almost non-stop for two weeks straight with clogged vents so that couldn't have been good for it.

Waiting on the coffin now.

(60 GB)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Mammothtank said:
Was playing Fallout 3 (So good) last night and the system suddenly shut itself down and began blinking the power light red. Looked on the website and it said to check the vents and sure enough my intake vents had gotten clogged. I had been playing Fallout 3 almost non-stop for two weeks straight with clogged vents so that couldn't have been good for it.

Waiting on the coffin now.

(60 GB)

Your vents got clogged?

Man, I should clean my vents out, this generation of consoles (outside of the Wii) has made me paranoid. How would one go about doing this?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
GSG Flash said:
Your vents got clogged?

Man, I should clean my vents out, this generation of consoles (outside of the Wii) has made me paranoid. How would one go about doing this?

Air in a can. Or a swiffer.

paparazzo

So after getting a nice 32" LCD for Christmas, my PS3 died on Friday. I'm going to call Sony today and have them send a coffin. So, based on people's posts, it could take anywhere from a week to four to get my PS3 back, so I'll probably miss getting Skate 2 day one. :( I'll know for sure whether I'm sent a refurbished unit or my old one back because the "L" on my PS3 is missing so that it says "Paystation 3":lol

Edit: Will I still need my receipt even though my PS3 is a year beyond warranty?

I was playing Fallout 3 and the game froze. So, I had to reset the PS3 and after I rebooted it the damn thing doesn't read discs! No blu-rays, games, or dvds...

I bought it last year on December 30th... exactly one year ago. Now I'm wondering if I can still send the damn thing in to get fixed. On top of that I can't find the reciept... this sucks!

Has anyone else had their blu-ray drive die one them like this?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
gluv65 said:
this is outstanding to me, as it is my story to a T (so far). PS3 was working fine, ho hum.. put in Dark Knight the week we got it to give it a watch.. locks up about 15 minutes into it.. wha????? mess around with the system for about 30 minutes and finally give up. come back a few days later dark knight plays no problem.. COOL. after that EVERYTHING tumbled downhill. Mama Mia, Elf, Polar Express, and finally even SingStar and Disagea stopped reading. PS2 games and DVDs were fine, just blu media. So now I am waiting for the replacement assembly. Unfortunately coming from hong kong AND I paid $76 including shipping, but whatever... all I could find at that second. seller appears reputable. anyway, now I am just waiting for it to come in.

Heard stories that repair could be as much as $150 from sony and there was a chance (however big) that I wouldn't get my 60GB unit back.... no way I'm risking that.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
____ said:

Hey just so you know, if you really want to get pics and such off that drive, you could always buy a cheap 2.5" SATA external enclosure and hook it up to a PC, provided you have access to one. The enclosures are cheap on newegg.

mrbagdt

i have gotten this bizarre problem with reading ps3 discs, while bluray movies and dvds load fine.

i insert the disc, and the game does not appear under the games menu. however, if i start a downloaded game, then while in that game hit the playstation button to go back to my menu screen, after a short period of loading the disc will appear. i will then leave the game i am playing, go back to the menu, and i can then play my game.

it makes absolutely no sense. can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Hey guys, I need your help. Actually, a friend of mine.

He's had his PS3 for only 1 month and it died. We live in brazil and he imported the console. He told me there were 3 bleeps before it died. He's taken the console to some "specialized people" and they told him it was the GPU and the only way to recover it was by changing the whole chip (which seems impossible).

Can anybody confirm if that sound means the gpu is dead? Either it is a yes or a no, what can he do? =/

Kinan

Oh, fuck, my launch EU 60Gb died yesterday. .p Was listening music and it just turned itself off. it gives out yellow light shortly after you switch it on following by three beeps and red blinking. .( Of course my Uncharted disk is also stuck in and of course I didnt make any backups since I was going to insert 500Gb hdd just in a few days. :/ talk about fucking timing. All my saves are basically gone. Backup you shit people. :/

And i'm hearing that repair will most likely cost me 300€ since i'm out of warranty.

Kinan

Diseased Yak said:
Hey just so you know, if you really want to get pics and such off that drive, you could always buy a cheap 2.5" SATA external enclosure and hook it up to a PC, provided you have access to one. The enclosures are cheap on newegg.
its not that simple unfortunately. PS3 HDD is encrypted and you cant read it on PC, in enclosure or not. :p

DeZimatoR

Banned
Kinan said:
Oh, fuck, my launch EU 60Gb died yesterday. .p Was listening music and it just turned itself off. it gives out yellow light shortly after you switch it on following by three beeps and red blinking. .( Of course my Uncharted disk is also stuck in and of course I didnt make any backups since I was going to insert 500Gb hdd just in a few days. :/ talk about fucking timing. All my saves are basically gone. Backup you shit people. :/

And i'm hearing that repair will most likely cost me 300€ since i'm out of warranty.

Eh? Don't you have 2 years warranty? Here in Portugal we do I believe...

And 300€? Ouch! =/

aries_71

Kinan said:

300 € ????

That's a joke. Buy a new one if you are still interested in the PS3.

Top Bottom