• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
LiquidSwords said:
I think it's a valid concern. Have any of S-E's Wii projects to date matched the visual quality of the best PS2 stuff (FFX, XII, VP)?

Well no, but the couple Wii projects that Square Enix has done, which is ridiculously low (Dragon Quest Swords, Chocobo's Dungeon) have also had much smaller budgets than something like a mainline Final Fantasy game.

There's really no reason to believe that DQX will look worse than DQVIII.

SabinFigaro said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Awesome news, and right before I was going to bed!

If they can make this look at least as good as DQVIII, I'll be more than happy. Even still, it's still fucking Dragon Quest. This, my friends, is the Wii Megaton. DQIX may have been the grudgefucking, but this news is equivalent to the raping the corpse of the "HD generation" after the fact.
LOL raping the corpse of the HD generation? I don't know about you but PS3/360 has been awesome this gen.

donny2112

Y2Kev said:
I don't usually read the sales threads unless a game I'm interested in is being tracked, but has that been in issue in Japan?

Very much so. There hasn't been any "big" core games on the Wii outside of Nintendo's titles and the mid-tier stuff is mostly underperforming/bombing. The Wii needs a strong influx of core gamers in Japan, and DQX is more than big enough to get that ball rolling hard.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Cool. I randomly check the board for the first time in a few days and I walk into a megaton. Good timing :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So, it looks like I was wrong about them not jumping the gun.

Anyhoo, it looks like DQIX will be my first DQ ever. Or should I play one of the DSmakes first?

Do it, DQ4 was fucking awesome.

It reignited my love of the franchise.

Pojo

Banned
donny2112 said:
Very much so. There hasn't been any "big" core games on the Wii outside of Nintendo's titles and the mid-tier stuff is mostly underperforming/bombing. The Wii needs a strong influx of core gamers in Japan, and DQX is more than big enough to get that ball rolling hard.
The only thing that will sell hard is DQX.

Raistlin

Well ... certainly would have preferred an HD DQ, but at least it's on a console.

Guess it gives me something to look forward to on Wii too.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
This is going to be a loooooooooong wait for DQX. Unless it has been in development all along...

Eh no problem for me. I've still gotta go through DQV, VI, and IX. And V is just coming to NA in Feb. 09

Hcoregamer00 said:
Do it, DQ4 was fucking awesome.

It reignited my love of the franchise.
Is that the one that came out on DS in the US recently? I've never paid too much attention to the DQ franchise, but I might have to give it a shot...if I ever find time with my already-massive RPG backlog (Fire Emblem 8, Fire Emblem 6, Fire Emblem 10, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia Wii, Tales of Abyss, Final Fantasy IV)...

RocketDarkness said:
Is that the one that came out on DS in the US recently? I've never paid too much attention to the DQ franchise, but I might have to give it a shot...if I ever find time with my already-massive RPG backlog (Fire Emblem 8, Fire Emblem 6, Fire Emblem 10, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia Wii, Tales of Abyss, Final Fantasy IV)...

Yes. Chapters of the Chosen. Great remake - fast and fun.

Also, one of the better stories in the DQ series (so I'm told).

perfectchaos007 said:
Maybe I should give this Dragon Quest franchise a try. I loved Pokemon, but I hate Final Fantasy. So I guess I would semi-enjoy DQ?

DQ is more traditional than Final Fantasy. Turn-based, random encounters, etc.

Azure J

My God. This is what I miss out on for Brawl lag... :lol

Thread title needs more Great Balls of Fire by the way. It also looks like I'm gonna jump into DQ guys after years of curiosity. :D

*Pets his Wii* I knew you'd deliver someday.

Pojo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
You don't seem to know what you're talking about.
None of Nintendo's efforts did it. The Wii is in millions of homes and the picture hasn't been great, one game will not change that. In fact, people will snatch up DQX and will pass on NMH2 and the like.

That's what NeoGAF always says, isn't it? People buy it for Wii Sports, they will buy it for DQX.

zoku88

RocketDarkness said:
I would say that DQIV is kind of a better game then all of the ones you just listed.

That's just me, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Teknoman said:
Well widescreen and progressive scan are a given. Wonder if they'll try to toss in pointer support for the menu.
DQSwords has it, so I bet they will. Maybe some gesturing for like super attacks.

Personally I'd prefer this on the Wii. I mean Dragon Quest is anything but a, how should I say this, "progressive modern playing game" nor is it a game that has cutting edge presentation. I could see if it was "Final Fantasy XIV" or "Star Ocean V", but "Dragon Quest"? Hell the game could fit on the DS perfectly.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pojo said:
Everything that comes out on the Wii that doesn't benefit from the controls shouldn't be released on the Wii because the technology is vastly inferior. It's quite simple.

But we haven't seen what gameplay changes they've made to X, so I'll wait and see. Though I don't want anything too radical.

Initial meltdown finished.
DQ goes to the largest userbase. It's always been like that.

pulga

Banned
Anyone could've seen this coming a mile away. Whoever melts down is just a blind pussy :lol

Anyways, awesome news. Wii is unstoppable.

Pojo

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Personally I'd prefer this on the Wii. I mean Dragon Quest is anything but a, how should I say this, "progressive modern playing game" nor is it a game that has cutting edge presentation. I could see if it was "Final Fantasy XIV" or "Star Ocean V", but "Dragon Quest"? Hell the game could fit on the DS perfectly.
Why not do a retro remake like MM9?

Good graphics never hurt anyone.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Pojo said:
None of Nintendo's efforts did it. The Wii is in millions of homes and the picture hasn't been great, one game will not change that. In fact, people will snatch up DQX and will pass on NMH2 and the like.

That's what NeoGAF always says, isn't it? People buy it for Wii Sports, they will buy it for DQX.

NMH2 is the proof you are wrong; while the original game didn't set any chart on fire, it sold enough to warrant a sequel and gained the title of the best selling Suda game.

Jirotrom

Pojo said:

NMH sold over 500,000 pretty damn good for a Suda game... DQ will sell damn well as well as MH3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom